The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 July 2021, 04:27 PM   #31
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonGuy86 View Post
I know I can easily go grey market, but for me its not about cost. For me buying my first rolex has to be from an AD or boutique since the buying experience is part of it and not just wearing the watch. People r saying to regularly visit my AD but the problem is everytime I go into Rolex Selfridges, the staff have changed as I think they get rotated around different boutiques. Anyway I'm prepared to wait and fingers crossed I don't have to wait too long. Thanks all for your input
I’d be staggered if you even got a call…..at all.
London AD lists are extensive, especially for pieces like steel GMT. So many of their clients are big spenders, so the small/non-spenders really have very little chance. Spenders will usually always jump non spenders.

Not trying to pee on your bonfire, but I wouldn’t anticipate a call sadly
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 04:52 PM   #32
IamJacky
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Guys, first post here so apologies if the question has been asked before. Yesterday for the very first time I ventured into my local Rolex AD (London Selfridges) to buy a GMT MASTER II, Little did I know that there is the so called waiting list. The AD would not give me a specific time frame, however, he did say that the selection process when the watches become available is completely random and does not depend on previous purchase history. I somehow find this hard go believe, anyway my question is what's the average waiting time for such a watch and are there any tips I can use to expedite the process? Many thanks
If you go to the Rolex Subreddit main page there's an AD wait-time megathread where people share what watch they bought, how long they waited, location, and spend history etc., good for reference.
Old 21 July 2021, 06:28 PM   #33
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Picking up my wife's new DJ 36 next week, it will have taken about 4 weeks from ordering to it arriving in store.

Only the wait for my CHNR has exceeded 4 weeks, everything else I have asked for has come in quickly.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 04:33 AM   #34
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Guys, first post here so apologies if the question has been asked before. Yesterday for the very first time I ventured into my local Rolex AD (London Selfridges) to buy a GMT MASTER II, Little did I know that there is the so called waiting list. The AD would not give me a specific time frame, however, he did say that the selection process when the watches become available is completely random and does not depend on previous purchase history. I somehow find this hard go believe, anyway my question is what's the average waiting time for such a watch and are there any tips I can use to expedite the process? Many thanks
Considering your city and client history, I would guess many years or never..I'm afraid.

Don't send cards or anything awkward imo.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 08:11 AM   #35
vette boy 52
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II-c TT
I'm still waiting
vette boy 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 09:39 AM   #36
novae500
"TRF" Member

You just have to separate yourself from the dozens that inquire daily about the steel and hot models. Be it a personal note, small gift so SA will remember you from everyone else. Stop by every few weeks and convince him you are not a flipper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

326933 SkyDweller, 126711 GMT II CHNR
12600 DeepSea Seadweller
14060 No Date Submariner
16710 GMT II Pepsi N-Series, Coke F Series
novae500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 05:26 PM   #37
LondonGuy86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette boy 52 View Post
I'm still waiting
How long have u been waiting may I ask?
LondonGuy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 05:52 PM   #38
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD40
I moved from Kenya back to the UK late last year, I went to my local AD in a small town whom I had no previous with, and put in an order for 2 watches, a TT Skydweller white face and a BLRO. The SD was around 2 months, the BLRO was around 8 months. I have also managed to purchased some other watches from them, a SS Skydweller, DD36 on Strap which was NOS, and a White Gold BLRO. These were all obtained within 8 months. Next week a special order is arriving, a full YG Daytona with Paul Newman Dial. The guys that I deal with are true professionals and good to their word. I would personally not waste time with WOS, they are simply too big. Stay local, its what I have always done.
Bigsoftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 06:02 PM   #39
Sisyphus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5196R-001
Quote:
In my experience, 3 Months to get a new 36 Explorer I. Had previous history with the AD though.

In my view, either a) the Explorers are getting easier to access or b) they definitely took into account the previous history.

Cheers,
Sisyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 06:33 PM   #40
RolexADreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Chrono Perp
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLou View Post
In case you are looking to buy GMTs Batman or Pepsi…the answer is never. His answer of a “selection process” and the fact that one exists is appalling. Many of my friends bought a Rolex tax free at Selfridges, but never a hot model. I think there is a possibility Rolex there belongs to David Morris the jeweller.
Rolex there is part of Bucherer group
Old 25 July 2021, 01:44 AM   #41
KMalone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveWatch View Post
After the written card and wine doesn't work, you'd likely need to up your game a bit. Keep upping the gifts until you get what you want.. card.. wine.. island vacations... maybe even a Rolex or offer your firstborn

I kid of course

I don't know how fine you're thinking... but finest can mean multiple thousands where you can instead just buy grey now and enjoy

Somehow you missed this part . . .

"Doing this same thing got me a Sub Date, GMT Pepsi, and a DJ with the Tiffany blue dial (for my wife). I bought these 3 between August 2020 and Feb 2021. I had ZERO spend history and got these watches."
KMalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 04:04 AM   #42
rcambrid
"TRF" Member

Clearly, a lot of factors (spend history, geography, local market, etc.) influence when/if you’re able to get a model you’re on the “list” for. I am by no means a big spender, however, was provided with a Tudor BB58 and a 41mm Rolex Sub in the past year. Prior purchase history was a single 36mm Datejust. I ordered the Sub about 11 months prior to deliver and the the Tudor about 8. Being present/visible/friendly with your SA is important if you’re not a big spender with them. I’m sure I only got the call on the sub because someone else passed and I had just dropped in for a visit a couple weeks prior.
rcambrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 04:21 AM   #43
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMalone View Post
Somehow you missed this part . . .

"Doing this same thing got me a Sub Date, GMT Pepsi, and a DJ with the Tiffany blue dial (for my wife). I bought these 3 between August 2020 and Feb 2021. I had ZERO spend history and got these watches."
Lol and didn’t the AD you were using that tactic at get dropped as an authorized dealer?
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 04:29 AM   #44
rlx123
"TRF" Member

I waited 3 years for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 01:13 AM   #45
M9APO
"TRF" Member

I went to my local AD in May to register interest and was told no channel of getting a sports model without a previous relationship.

I called in this week to try a Speedy, saying I’m giving up on Rolex and ended up walking out with a silver DJ, smooth on oyster that wasn’t in the (empty) window or in a cabinet.

I was then added to the Sub list and given a wait time of around 2 years.
M9APO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 01:29 AM   #46
fania123
"TRF" Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FCAF08A5-4F60-4099-90A7-11B05CA1BD8D.jpeg (226.4 KB, 302 views)
fania123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 01:31 AM   #47
JAEP
"TRF" Member

Not sure if my case is any good info as I guess I’ve been lucky with my Rolex watches.

In 2020, Explorer 1 = One day as a local AD had one w/ no purchase history
In 2021, GMT BLNR w/ Jubilee = 10 months from a different local AD, w/ a purchase history of a BB58 Blue 10 months ago

PS: BB58 Blue = 3 days.
JAEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 03:36 AM   #48
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJacky View Post
If you go to the Rolex Subreddit main page there's an AD wait-time megathread where people share what watch they bought, how long they waited, location, and spend history etc., good for reference.
Key takeaways:

1. Buying in London sucks.

2. If you’re trying to get a 36mm Explorer and striking out you’re doing something wrong (many pick-ups and none longer than two months).
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 04:19 AM   #49
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
How long have u been waiting may I ask?
3 years. There's nothing special about the AD experience. Buy grey tomorrow. You will not get lucky. There are a million people ahead of you.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 05:01 AM   #50
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Waiting times are all over the board, could be any amount.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 10:20 AM   #51
the_natural
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
2. If you’re trying to get a 36mm Explorer and striking out you’re doing something wrong (many pick-ups and none longer than two months).
Maybe. I've been waiting 2+ months for the new Explorer for my wife and no dice yet. Same AD I got my Sub from last November so there's a history.
the_natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 10:42 AM   #52
YoMike951
"TRF" Member

I waited about a month for the 126710BLRO (Pepsi) and offered the 126711CHNR (Root Beer) on the spot (fathers day) when I was getting a M278289RBR-0008 (DateJust 31) band adjusted.
YoMike951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 10:45 AM   #53
ks58
Banned

A decent amount on my list to buy. But when I asked for a no date sub and batgirl, they immediately had them for me. A few that are taking longer to get like some of the Daytonas.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 12:11 PM   #54
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_natural View Post
Maybe. I've been waiting 2+ months for the new Explorer for my wife and no dice yet. Same AD I got my Sub from last November so there's a history.
I"ve been waiting a couple months too. And my SA says that they have not received ANY. Not sure if true or not.
Old 15 August 2021, 05:08 PM   #55
jtorrebl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: what’s next.
Got the call yesterday for my dad’s DD40 YG silver dial Romans. Ordered it at the end of January
jtorrebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 06:45 PM   #56
Xerxes77
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzsiam View Post
nobody can tell exactly wait-time. It depends mainly on your luck and timing. If you have a good luck, your sa like you, they don’t think you’re a flipper, you will have a better chance to get it sooner than later. Ads/boutiques get pepsi/batman almost every month, who is the lucky person they pick?

Last year i got very lucky, i got so many sought after pieces in the short time.

You should stop to visit your ad once in awhile, so they can remember you and you will have a better chance.
x2
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 07:04 PM   #57
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Average time depends what you're wiling to spend.
Spend nothing and you never get the call but spend a little it becomes sooner and spend lots it probably comes in days
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 08:01 AM   #58
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
Average time depends what you're wiling to spend.
Spend nothing and you never get the call but spend a little it becomes sooner and spend lots it probably comes in days
Or just pay market price and cut your wait to 21 hours with no "spend".
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 07:02 AM   #59
the_natural
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoNeal View Post
I"ve been waiting a couple months too. And my SA says that they have not received ANY. Not sure if true or not.
I don't know if this is still true of my AD today, but when I got on the list for the Explorer, he said they'd seen zero so far (and, weirdly, zero of the new OP's).
the_natural is offline   Reply With Quote