The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 July 2021, 03:07 AM   #1
erinbeckerton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
How Rolex’s Oystersteel is Different from Traditional Stainless Steel

Of course everyone knows that Rolex is a step above other brands but I never really knew why and it kind of all originates to their in house special made metals and materials. They really are making these watches to last life-times. In the article I read https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...ess-steel.html "From scratch-resistant ceramic bezels to antimagnetic movement components, contemporary Rolex watches utilize some of the most advanced materials on this planet to aid in the company’s ongoing pursuit of building the best mechanical wristwatches possible". Now I get that is a long list of improvements but that for me is what made them a step above other companies (or at least at the time). What do you think made Rolex stand out, was it their special in house materials?
erinbeckerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 04:08 PM   #2
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
With respect to the SS that Rolex uses it may not be as simple as re-naming 904L to Oystersteel.
It would be easy for us to be sceptical, especially as Rolex a masters of marketing spin and distorting the truth.

Consider this if you will.
In my industry there are materials that appear the same at first glance until one drills down into certain minor aspects.
They bend the same and they weld exactly the same with the same filler material, but these exotic materials have a higher post-weld tensile strength. This lends them to be used in certain applications where it's possible to reduce weight approximately 25% which is crucial for higher speed and better fuel efficiency.

The crucial difference between these exotic materials and those which are part and parcel of industry standards is simply the lower acceptance criterior for impurities in the exotic materials.

Perhaps this business around the propriety name for the Rolex 904 L Stainless Steel is in a similar fashion
Just something to consider in that it may be an improvement in a desirable factor.
According to Rolex that is
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 04:15 PM   #3
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Very special indeed. Putting on the SS GMT on Oyster, it's cold, heavy and smooth.
Unlike other brands in the collection.
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 04:20 PM   #4
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
Me thinks the marketing elves at Rolex have done their work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 04:43 PM   #5
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaSubowner View Post
Me thinks the marketing elves at Rolex have done their work.
This
Old 23 July 2021, 05:02 PM   #6
Master_Grogu
Banned

Marketing. Material science is complex, but Rolex doesn’t have a monopoly in arranging atoms.
Master_Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 05:12 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinbeckerton View Post
Of course everyone knows that Rolex is a step above other brands but I never really knew why and it kind of all originates to their in house special made metals and materials. They really are making these watches to last life-times. In the article I read https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...ess-steel.html "From scratch-resistant ceramic bezels to antimagnetic movement components, contemporary Rolex watches utilize some of the most advanced materials on this planet to aid in the company’s ongoing pursuit of building the best mechanical wristwatches possible". Now I get that is a long list of improvements but that for me is what made them a step above other companies (or at least at the time). What do you think made Rolex stand out, was it their special in house materials?
There are many myths on the net about the special 904l steel now called Oystersteel first Rolex do not manufacture their own steel its got from a third party in billets,and there is nothing magical about 904L or Oystersteel today. It was mainly a brag factor and marketing by Rolex as they were once the only watch manufacturer using it so now called oystersteel to make it sound more exclusive. Today several other companies use 904L SS in watches XOSKELETON for one and Girard-Perregaux .But in the real world 904L steel was not developed by any watch brand, it was developed to be used in high salt/acid factories like for instance vinegar pickling factories,and factories that use acid products etc.And the only difference between 904L and 316L is simply this,the main difference between 316L over 904L it has slightly more Molybdenum(Mo)approx 2% more, approx 1-2% more Crome(Cr), 1% copper(Cu), and approx 10% more nickel and that's it all quite cheap commodities. And today far more 316L is sold than 904L, now if it was the other way round 904L would be cheaper than 316L.There are a few disadvantages to 904L it will scratch and show scratches more easily than 316L.The only advantage is, it's a bit more corrosion resistant, but in the real world with today's pampered watches it's doubtful if any real advantage over the industry norm 316L.And the internet myth that 904L is harder than 316L its not true, its how the metal is finally tempered defines its overall hardness, so 316L can be harder than 904L.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 05:32 PM   #8
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Marketing and brand positioning has made Rolex stand out.
Their biggest strength is their stern adherence to their design heritage.
If Rolex were to change the look of the Submariner or Datejust for example, it would be a huge ding.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 05:41 PM   #9
duquephart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Snowflake
Quote:
Stunningly ridiculous line.
duquephart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 05:45 PM   #10
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
There are many myths on the net about the special 904l steel now called Oystersteel first Rolex do not manufacture their own steel its got from a third party in billets,and there is nothing magical about 904L or Oystersteel today. It was mainly a brag factor and marketing by Rolex as they were once the only watch manufacturer using it so now called oystersteel to make it sound more exclusive. Today several other companies use 904L SS in watches XOSKELETON for one and Girard-Perregaux .But in the real world 904L steel was not developed by any watch brand, it was developed to be used in high salt/acid factories like for instance vinegar pickling factories,and factories that use acid products etc.And the only difference between 904L and 316L is simply this,the main difference between 316L over 904L it has slightly more Molybdenum(Mo)approx 2% more, approx 1-2% more Crome(Cr), 1% copper(Cu), and approx 10% more nickel and that's it all quite cheap commodities. And today far more 316L is sold than 904L, now if it was the other way round 904L would be cheaper than 316L.There are a few disadvantages to 904L it will scratch and show scratches more easily than 316L.The only advantage is, it's a bit more corrosion resistant, but in the real world with today's pampered watches it's doubtful if any real advantage over the industry norm 316L.And the internet myth that 904L is harder than 316L its not true, its how the metal is finally tempered defines its overall hardness, so 316L can be harder than 904L.
Great post
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 07:01 PM   #11
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Thank you Padi. Reminding us that facts matter.
Old 23 July 2021, 10:33 PM   #12
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Of course everyone knows that Rolex is a step above other brands but I never really knew why and it kind of all originates to their in house special made metals and materials.
Rolex Marketing went fishing and they caught you
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 10:47 PM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Thank you Padi. Reminding us that facts matter.
Thank you all facts and information supplied from my own 79 year old brain power, without the aid of loupes, timegraphers, phone apps, and the rest of todays Rolex watch toys.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 24 July 2021, 12:24 AM   #14
duquephart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Snowflake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
Rolex Marketing went fishing and they caught you
Sheep hunting actually.
duquephart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 12:55 AM   #15
phillyEagles
"TRF" Member

Watch: Two tone Sub
Rolex SS bracelets do have a certain luster I find appealing, particularly on the brushed bracelet links. There's almost a glow in certain lighting.
phillyEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 01:59 AM   #16
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Good post

904L's magic is in the blueish tint compared to 316L .It presents very well .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 02:24 AM   #17
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Thank you all facts and information supplied from my own 79 year old brain power, without the aid of loupes, timegraphers, phone apps, and the rest of todays Rolex watch toys.
79 years young you are my friend.
Old 24 July 2021, 02:27 AM   #18
JSol1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Well put!
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 02:31 AM   #19
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

The superior corrosion resistance of 904L is widely known. But Rolex also claim that 904L takes a superior polish and brushes better. Rolex themselves claim that 904L is very difficult to machine and required new tooling but I'm not sure that proves this difficulty comes from material hardness itself. We all know these things scratch just looking at them. Maybe they are that much softer, or maybe that level of polish really is so pristine that you see things you wouldn't notice on other watches made of 316.

Interesting links:

http://www.ss904l.com/sustainability...s-ss-316-blog/
https://www.westyorkssteel.com/blog/...ainless-steel/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UuDJl93Z1g
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 10:03 AM   #20
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:

904L myth busted!! Great post.

Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 04:03 PM   #21
Tedwood
"TRF" Member

Thank you for an interesting thread. Not one ‘AD / SA’ mentioned, how refreshing. I am new to Rolex and the oyster bracelet feels very silky compared to my Omega Planet Ocean which does seem a lot more agricultural.
Tedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 08:20 PM   #22
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavli3 View Post
904L myth busted!! Great post.

Today most information is from the Youtube and the likes of so called social media, many of the more younger generation have lost the power to think for themselves. And many believe and sometimes do whatever is posted on said platforms, but hype today sells and many buy hype to wear it.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 25 July 2021, 07:55 AM   #23
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
So very true it seems everything the youngems do, say and wear is determined by social media influencers.

Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oystersteel rolex , rolex , rolex watches