The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 July 2021, 11:11 AM   #61
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donas View Post

Yeah hilarious. I’m his boyfriend but also I need to grow pair. Really logical. Thanks for the primitive pointers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 11:43 AM   #62
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I'm glad you resolved your quandary. I think you made the right decision.

As said in the "The Godfather", it's only business, it's not personal.

It's only watches...

That said, since you are interested in developing the relationship with the AD, you can always discuss other pieces you may be interested in, down the road.

From conversations I've had, an AD, given the Rolex supply issue, may not want to sell a Rolex model that's in short supply to a customer who is a one time sale. If a potential customer is perceived as a one off, and the supply of Rolex is tight, the AD may prefer to sell to a repeat customer. They also want to establish a relationship...not just the AD, but the individual sales associates employed at the AD, each of whom develops their own client list. Of course, ADs vary. Some are small family operations, some are large corporations.

If the AD sells things other than watches, as is common, you may hear something along the lines of "we want to handle all your jewelry needs". That's code for, "we don't want to sell you just one Rolex watch. Since supply is limited, we will favor customers who give us more business, and we have more than just watches to sell" Mind you, this approach seems limited to Rolex and results from limited supply. Breitling, for example, doesn't have the same shortage. So, the ADs don't parse out those sales, since stock is plentiful.

After all, it's only business.
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 02:40 PM   #63
afmars
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
I have been in this situation and I chose to be transparent with the first AD. I have not been offered a piece from them since 😀
afmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 06:25 PM   #64
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRickles View Post
I would pull a “Pretty Woman” on them!

Made me smile. Good reference.
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 11:59 PM   #65
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickcollins1916 View Post
there’s no need for loyalty to any ad - it’s a purely transactional relationship. My loyalty is to my own wallet and to the best deal i can get for myself. Ads couldn’t care less about their customers, so i personally can’t be bothered to extend one-sided loyalty their way.

If you found what you want elsewhere, congrats on the incoming…enjoy your new watch and don’t give ad1 a second thought!
+1
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 12:14 AM   #66
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Any idea how to handle?
Seems no problem to me, show them what you bought, they then might see you as a keen purchaser who won't hang around waiting. Next time they might produce the watch you want right away, so as not to lose your valuable business!
Zsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 01:44 AM   #67
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afmars View Post
I have been in this situation and I chose to be transparent with the first AD. I have not been offered a piece from them since

I suspect this will be the case with me. Hope to be proven wrong. Oh well

Old 25 July 2021, 02:38 AM   #68
M45
Banned

My dealer got me some hard to find pieces, then started giving me some bullshit saying that the last watch they got me, panda Daytona, they got in trouble with their regional manager because they weren’t supposed to sell it to me, or something.

So when I found the watch I liked at another dealer, I bought it from them without a second thought.

Now my first AD is upset. I don’t need the drama.

I mean, I do own two Porsches, so I am used to salespeople shitting all over me when I want to buy something and have the money in hand.
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 02:41 AM   #69
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
My opinion is to worry only about yourself and what the individual AD can do for you. Not the other way around. Take the watch you are offered easily over the wishy washy response of the hometown AD. Also better to establish being flaky rather than a flipper. Shouldn’t hurt the ADs feelings. It’s all business
Old 25 July 2021, 05:34 AM   #70
Casotakar
"TRF" Member

Lol, I wonder how many times a dealer has called a prospective buyer:

“Hi, we’ve received 2 references you’ve been patiently waiting for in the last 6 months but sold them to other customers, we’re still hoping to do business with you though. Please let’s continue build a relationship and hope to maybe sell you a watch, continue waiting for us.”

Casotakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 05:54 AM   #71
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Buy them all. I rejected an Explorer 2 bc I was waiting for a GMT. That guy doesn't call me at all anymore. LOL
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 06:39 AM   #72
173rdabn

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Your hometown AD certainly won't suffer with an unsellable watch. No need to worry, it's just business.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 08:22 AM   #73
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
"Worry" about this when AD #1 calls with the piece you already have. That call may never come ("problem" solved), but if it does, at that point your tastes will have changed, etc. blah blah blah, "how about a . . . . "
^ this ^

Enjoy the watch you have, zero guarantee the hometown AD would ever call you.
On the sliom chance they do, buy the watch, flip the one you bought out of town.
Old 26 July 2021, 11:28 AM   #74
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:
Never owned an explorer 2 before and it’s already one of my faves!!
What an improvement over the last model with black dial. Great find and nice addition, congrats!
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 12:19 PM   #75
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post
Seems you have established a beneficial relationship with the AD at your vacation site and the AD in your hometown. So, court both, but don't tell one mistress about the other.
Unless of course, you feel the chance exists to have them both at the same time.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 12:24 PM   #76
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR
I don’t know what your what your purchase history is with your hometown AD, but I would have gone with your new watch on to tell them you procured it elsewhere and thank them for trying.

Why?

Now they know you are a buyer and not a talker. They get multiple calls from people who talk big, but now they know that you have the means to buy a relatively big purchase on demand at a moments notice. It might not hurt you at all and could give them reason to feel compelled to earn your business.

I’m always a half full guy.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2021, 10:32 AM   #77
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
My explorer ii story:

I was on the waitlist for 3 ADs in my market. I've been after one since November 2020. Not one of the ADs, after great conversations, produced one. I even had one AD tell me I'd get the next polar explorer ii on his list -- that was in January 2021.

On July 4, I went on vacation, and bought a DJ36 for my wife. I asked about a polar explorer ii and was told it was "very do-able" and probably "a few weeks." I figured i'd never hear from them. Got a text 3 weeks later, and here i sit, with a new polar explorer ii on wrist and my new AD asking "what's next?"

Buy the watch from the hand that feeds you
The others are feeding you horse shit.
Cauhauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2021, 10:54 AM   #78
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

we walk into an AD to acquire watches. It is a business transaction. I will never understand romancing a salesman. While some may behave like a jilted prom date, I think the vast majority are professional & dispassionate, and couldn't care less if you bought elsewhere.
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2021, 10:58 AM   #79
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone1983 View Post
we walk into an AD to acquire watches. It is a business transaction. I will never understand romancing a salesman. While some may behave like a jilted prom date, I think the vast majority are professional & dispassionate, and couldn't care less if you bought elsewhere.
thanks - no romancing was considered, just whether I should tell someone who said they'd try to get me a watch and will let me know when they do that they no longer need to do that on my behalf because I got it elsewhere. I was worried about that ruining what seemed like a promising start of a relationship. I chose honesty in the end, versus buying from two diff people and selling one. Prob will hurt my chances going forward but oh well, I've got the watch I wanted and I'm trying to downsize the collection anyway.
Old 27 July 2021, 11:00 AM   #80
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauhauna View Post
My explorer ii story:

I was on the waitlist for 3 ADs in my market. I've been after one since November 2020. Not one of the ADs, after great conversations, produced one. I even had one AD tell me I'd get the next polar explorer ii on his list -- that was in January 2021.

On July 4, I went on vacation, and bought a DJ36 for my wife. I asked about a polar explorer ii and was told it was "very do-able" and probably "a few weeks." I figured i'd never hear from them. Got a text 3 weeks later, and here i sit, with a new polar explorer ii on wrist and my new AD asking "what's next?"

Buy the watch from the hand that feeds you
The others are feeding you horse shit.
Thanks for story! Helps me feel better.
Old 27 July 2021, 11:57 AM   #81
steveclr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNR Nairobi View Post
Made me smile. Good reference.
The reference is beyond me. If he's referring to the movie, the actress went to school a few miles from where I live now - just don't watch romantic movies. I don't see why complete disclosure would be a problem here. AD 1 may appreciate it.
steveclr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2021, 12:40 PM   #82
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclr View Post
The reference is beyond me. If he's referring to the movie, the actress went to school a few miles from where I live now - just don't watch romantic movies. I don't see why complete disclosure would be a problem here. AD 1 may appreciate it.

I think there a scene where the store judges her as having no money/not being a serious buyer, then she spends big elsewhere and comes back to showcase lost business. Not really applicable here for many reasons but it was a good effort.

Old 27 July 2021, 12:59 PM   #83
Francist
Banned

Watch: 116500LN
Just letting u know, ur AD loyalty is with money.
Francist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2021, 09:23 PM   #84
Xerxes77
Banned

Buy it now if you can
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2021, 10:23 PM   #85
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclr View Post
Quote:
I think there a scene where the store judges her as having no money/not being a serious buyer, then she spends big elsewhere and comes back to showcase lost business. Not really applicable here for many reasons but it was a good effort.

Oh boy........
I bet you two are the life of the party!

You Hockey pucks!
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote