The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 15 January 2024, 12:38 AM   #1
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

For those of you that buy a Rolex to flex, who are you flexing to?

This question isn't for people that have a rolex purely for intrinsic reasons - ie, just to enjoy the watch itself. Rather this is for those that - wholly or partially - buy a rolex to flex on others. Who are you flexing to? Colleagues, potential partners, subordinates, neighbors, internet strangers, fellow rolex and watch owners?
Old 15 January 2024, 12:41 AM   #2
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

Can you translate for an old UK member ?
Old 15 January 2024, 12:44 AM   #3
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Flexing is 100% of anyone that buys one.

The "intrinsic" reasons are purely a cover story.
Old 15 January 2024, 12:52 AM   #4
SubDate
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
My definition for reference. Think of flexing as showing off. It’s about buying a product, not with the primary reason of enjoying it, but rather to communicate “look what I have everybody” to gain attention. So those buying up Rolexes to “flex”, are depriving watch enthusiasts the opportunity to buy a Rolex to enjoy. Counter argument? “I can buy a damn Rolex to do whatever I want with it. If I want to flex I will flex.”

Let the discussion begin….
Old 15 January 2024, 12:57 AM   #5
Tach24LMS
"TRF" Member

The only Flex I care about in the world of Rolex would be of the Oyster variety.

Get watches you love and want to wear. Period.
Old 15 January 2024, 12:59 AM   #6
Jason Bourne
"TRF" Member

Flexing with Rolex, you serious? It’s not AP or Patek or even VC

May sound funny but Rolex always was meant to be a budget tool watch
Old 15 January 2024, 01:10 AM   #7
OTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bourne View Post

Are you serious?!. Ya a budget tool that costs over ten thousand dollars!. To the masses, Rolex is the ultimate flex. Most famous watch brand by a mile!. I work in real estate with a good number of multi millionaires and I would say Rolex is the most brand I see them wearing with the occasional PP and AP. Even ultra wealthy people who I personally know who own many Pateks and APs always have a Rolex or two in their collection. Rolex is not a budget watch no matter how you slice it!.
Old 15 January 2024, 01:13 AM   #8
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexken View Post
Can you translate for an old UK member ?
Showing off.
Old 15 January 2024, 01:16 AM   #9
Fahoo Forays
Banned

Watch: 16264
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
Flexing is 100% of anyone that buys one.

The "intrinsic" reasons are purely a cover story.
Maybe for most, but you probably ought not generalize. There are four people on the planet IRL who know me and know I own a Rolex. Four. I live on a moral level above and beyond what your post suggests you're accustomed to. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Old 15 January 2024, 01:21 AM   #10
dnd2984
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Key word is “was” it’s not your budget tool watch anymore.
Old 15 January 2024, 01:29 AM   #11
Nelsjay
2024 Pledge Member

There are so many watches out there that look similar to Rolex models, that unless someone either know what to look for or looks very closely, they won’t notice what brand you’re wearing.
Old 15 January 2024, 01:39 AM   #12
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Showing off.
I thought it was the latest dance craze lol.
Old 15 January 2024, 01:41 AM   #13
Travis29
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV / BLNR
For me personal achievement then it turned into an obsession.
Old 15 January 2024, 01:41 AM   #14
Jason Bourne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTX View Post
Are you serious?!. Ya a budget tool that costs over ten thousand dollars!. To the masses, Rolex is the ultimate flex. Most famous watch brand by a mile!. I work in real estate with a good number of multi millionaires and I would say Rolex is the most brand I see them wearing with the occasional PP and AP. Even ultra wealthy people who I personally know who own many Pateks and APs always have a Rolex or two in their collection. Rolex is not a budget watch no matter how you slice it!.
The discussion was about flexing. Of course Rolex is an amazing, reliable well-recognized brand and definitely not a budget one.
It’s like Lexus, great reliable car made for middle class. It’s not cheap, but will you impress someone with a Lexus? I don’t think so. People buying Porsches when it comes to flexing.
Most my friends own a Rolex and treat it as a daily beater but not for flexing for sure
Old 15 January 2024, 01:44 AM   #15
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTX View Post
What i would say, and its just an opinion, is that rolex is the ultimate "made it" status symbol for those who don't know watches. Because its such a well known brand. When you start get into watches you begin to learn thats it really only the entry level of luxury and there are many finer watch brands. That said they are great watches....quality, looks, all of it. Its a fun knowledgeable groups of collectors. There is a samenesss to the line, which is why maybe they came out with the 1908, and the Cellini has never really fit in to the rolex tool watch ethos.

Some guys stay within the brand, some guys start to learn about other possibilities. The world has rolex to thank for interest in watched period. I love forums where guys in the $200 range are passionate about watches.
I just ordered a citizen and a tissot Tiffany dial from hanging out here. I wanted the Rolex but its a whim purchase and honestly 20-30k for a celebration or Tiffany dial with a 6900 retail is silly.....I am just as excited to try these in person and decide and wear the one i keep this summer. they have they own fans like Patek. Its all enjoyable.

I love when some busboy or lower wage worker compliments my sub and somehow knows/assumes its real and says nice sub. I love that because he sees one in his future, much the same as when I was him I saw one in my future.

I remember how when apple watches were about to appear many in here were nervous that wold spell the end. I love that it didnt. Those are not watches, but the do tell time.

I wear my watch for me. Many days I work alone, no one sees it, but if for some reason I forget it and I am halfway to work, ill drive home - i feel naked without a watch

Sorry if this went a tad off topic
Victorinox Swiss Army 24221 - circa 1985
Sold but wish I didn't
Rolex DateJust 1603 - 1972
Old 15 January 2024, 01:49 AM   #16
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

Flexing obviously means showing off. Sure, there are lots of people who will buy a Rolex or other luxury watch just to say (without words), look at me!, look what I can afford!, look at how successful I am! Those bust down ones that are covered in jewels, I think were mainly made for exactly that purpose.

In a tamer version of flexing, I think everybody is doing that to some limit. Even if it's just to impress ourselves and feel good about seeing that piece we love on our own wrist. I personally don't care about what others think, but I will admit that I am ooohing and aaahing and smiling (in my own mind) sometimes when I look down at my watch to check the time! Is that a definition flexing and showing off to myself? If so, I am guilty!
Old 15 January 2024, 01:49 AM   #17
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingdoctor View Post
This question isn't for people that have a rolex purely for intrinsic reasons - ie, just to enjoy the watch itself. Rather this is for those that - wholly or partially - buy a rolex to flex on others. Who are you flexing to? Colleagues, potential partners, subordinates, neighbors, internet strangers, fellow rolex and watch owners?
What the hell does flex mean .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 15 January 2024, 01:50 AM   #18
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
The short answer to the original question would be…whoever is impressed by it, I guess.
Old 15 January 2024, 01:52 AM   #19
OTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The discussion was about flexing. Of course Rolex is an amazing, reliable well-recognized brand and definitely not a budget one.
It’s like Lexus, great reliable car made for middle class. It’s not cheap, but will you impress someone with a Lexus? I don’t think so. People buying Porsches when it comes to flexing.
Most my friends own a Rolex and treat it as a daily beater but not for flexing for sure
In my neck of the woods, if you want people to know you are doing good, you get a Rolex. Mainly because it’s recognized by most non watch people as “THE” watch. I know there are better watches out there but the recognition of the brand name Rolex is on a different planet compared to any other watch brand out there. They are geniuses at marketing!. Maybe where you are from people treat them like daily beaters. Where I’m from they are definitely not and are seen as very nice watches. I guess we are going to agree to disagree!
Old 15 January 2024, 01:54 AM   #20
OTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze View Post
What i would say, and its just an opinion, is that rolex is the ultimate "made it" status symbol for those who don't know watches. Because its such a well known brand. When you start get into watches you begin to learn thats it really only the entry level of luxury and there are many finer watch brands. That said they are great watches....quality, looks, all of it. Its a fun knowledgeable groups of collectors. There is a samenesss to the line, which is why maybe they came out with the 1908, and the Cellini has never really fit in to the rolex tool watch ethos.

Some guys stay within the brand, some guys start to learn about other possibilities. The world has rolex to thank for interest in watched period. I love forums where guys in the $200 range are passionate about watches.
I just ordered a citizen and a tissot Tiffany dial from hanging out here. I wanted the Rolex but its a whim purchase and honestly 20-30k for a celebration or Tiffany dial with a 6900 retail is silly.....I am just as excited to try these in person and decide and wear the one i keep this summer. they have they own fans like Patek. Its all enjoyable.

I love when some busboy or lower wage worker compliments my sub and somehow knows/assumes its real and says nice sub. I love that because he sees one in his future, much the same as when I was him I saw one in my future.

I remember how when apple watches were about to appear many in here were nervous that wold spell the end. I love that it didnt. Those are not watches, but the do tell time.

I wear my watch for me. Many days I work alone, no one sees it, but if for some reason I forget it and I am halfway to work, ill drive home - i feel naked without a watch

Sorry if this went a tad off topic
100% agree with everything you said!
Old 15 January 2024, 01:57 AM   #21
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
For those of you that buy a Rolex to flex, who are you flexing to?

Flexing is a term often used by folks triggered by or jealous of someone or something. The reality is that greater than 99% of the people we encounter have no idea we’re wearing a Rolex. So it’s hard to “flex” something that’s virtually invisible.

The only people who notice are watch enthusiasts. Most watch enthusiasts don’t judge you by the watch you’re wearing. Unfortunately, there are some that do and that is why we have threads like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 January 2024, 01:58 AM   #22
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
My cat, Pickle, of course. She enjoys shiny objects and gets a thrill from PCLs, so I try to brighten her day with latest hype pieces. Luckily, I have a very accommodating AD, since my little Pickle’s is part of the decision making process. We often head in Friday afternoon’s and they will have a saucer waiting (Diet Coke for the win). I will model pieces until she begins to purr, then I KNoW my flex is on point. I think she’s ready for a vacation since I now have 7 GMTs, but no worries, they all have different bezel colors and/or bracelet combinations!
Old 15 January 2024, 01:58 AM   #23
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
What the hell does flex mean .
i just learned this from a friend 3 months ago! about guitars
Victorinox Swiss Army 24221 - circa 1985
Sold but wish I didn't
Rolex DateJust 1603 - 1972
Old 15 January 2024, 02:11 AM   #24
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

What I have learned from the above...

Rolex is the “I made it watch.”
People buy a Porsche to flex.
A Rolex is an entry level luxury watch.
A Lexus is not impressive.

Best to you all!
Old 15 January 2024, 02:13 AM   #25
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Flexing is a term often used by folks triggered by or jealous of someone or something. The reality is that greater than 99% of the people we encounter have no idea we’re wearing a Rolex. So it’s hard to “flex” something that’s virtually invisible.

The only people who notice are watch enthusiasts. Most watch enthusiasts don’t judge you by the watch you’re wearing. Unfortunately, there are some that do and that is why we have threads like this.

I agree with you.

I’ve been wearing Rolex for the better part of 35 years and one of my childhood friends was surprised to see that I was wearing one the other weekend.

He never would have picked up on it had a mutual friend of ours who is also a WIS not pointed it out.
Old 15 January 2024, 02:17 AM   #26
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Just for you guys here, and Suzy snd Kat. It’s the same reason I get my hair cut.
Old 15 January 2024, 02:19 AM   #27
Mccall86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16000, 2254.50
I stopped buying things to try to impress people a long time ago. Anymore, nice things don't automatically = success anyways. Look at all the people driving around in brand new expensive vehicles with 8 year loans on them. I daily drive a 15 year old Honda with 200k miles on it but I have a paid for house. If someone judges me on my vehicle they probably wouldn't be too impressed, but I don't care. I bought a Rolex because I am a watch enthusiast, love the history of the brand and really love the watch. Buying things to impress others is a worthless pursuit IMO.
Old 15 January 2024, 02:20 AM   #28
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Here we go. Now everyone is going to fall over themselves to proclaim how much they don’t care at all what other people think of them.
Some people buy clothes, watches, cars, completely to impress others. Some people a lot less, but everything we wear is part of the persona we want to present to the world.

Also, plenty of people notice your watch. Most people just don’t mention it.
Humans are very good of sizing up people and synthesizing a whole lot of details to form opinions of someone.
Old 15 January 2024, 02:25 AM   #29
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Friends .. girls.. strippers … colleagues just about anyone would fit into the description of the question you asked.

I tend to find people with less money/young age would feel the need to do this.

I remember buying my first Rolex at 18 and wearing it on my right wrist just so I could hang it out of the car window - pretty sure I switched it back to the left when I got out of the car. Who did I want to see it? Anybody and everybody! And I thought EVERYBODY was looking at it �� it was a great feeling at the time.

Anyhow that was a long time and although I do try to match my outfit to my watch when I dress, I’m not really conscious I’m even wearing one to be honest.

There’s my confession I hope it gives you some perspective on “flexing” if that even was indeed what I was doing ��
Old 15 January 2024, 02:25 AM   #30
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Just for you guys here, and Suzy snd Kat. It’s the same reason I get my hair cut.

Gave up on hair cuts during Covid … it’s liberating. Plus, with all the money I’m saving I reckon I’ll be able to afford another watch soon

Closed Thread