The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 4 August 2018, 09:52 PM   #1
statsman
"TRF" Member

Help With Vintage Seiko(ish) Watch

I collect old bowl game watches from bowl games the Texas Longhorns player in. I recently purchased this watch from the 1979 Sun Bowl, and have a couple of questions, if anyone can help-

It looks very much like a Seiko Type II quartz, even though it says Seiko nowhere on the dial or case. Googling “Japan Y371 -802 LS” (from the dial) and “Y371-8040” (from the case) provided hints that the Y371 is a Seiko-made movement, similar to a “3446”. Inside the case back, it is inscribed “Morioka Takei” and “Hong-Kong”. Morioka is the site of a Seiko plant. My guess? The movement is from Seiko but the watch was perhaps assembled in Hong Kong. I don’t know who was the end item manufacturer that sold the couple hundred of watches to the Sun Bowl Committee- Seiko or the Chinese company.

It is a well made watch, either way. It is still running, which is rarely the case with these old bowl award watches (I am very fortunate to purchase one over 15 years old that merely needs a new battery; often the young player that receives it throws ‘em into a drawer after one or two battery changes and lets the acid rot the movement). The case looks like a Type II case of that period and looks great.

My last question (my first question is an appeal for comment about the manufacture) is what would be an appropriate bracelet, to approximate the original? Should I seek a vintage Seiko bracelet, or perhaps someone knows of an appropriate Hong Kong knockoff? Thanks for all comments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EE484957-98E2-46D8-AD35-74F62D1FA665.jpeg (111.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpeg 589A342B-5044-49A7-A397-723F6E4E2B46.jpeg (94.4 KB, 75 views)
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2018, 10:10 PM   #2
statsman
"TRF" Member

Here is a link to a similar watch -

https://www.ebth.com/items/7135663-v...one-wristwatch

Note- this one is identical except it has a gold, beaded bezel. The game was between Texas and the University of Washington. My watch was purchased from Washington (Spokane) and this linked watch was sold from Austin. It is possible that the two teams were given slightly different watches (back then, the school’s may have been given choices). The linked watch may have an original bracelet, but I wonder where to find one. Also, would it be possible to swap bezels (if I could find a gold beaded one), to make my watch a “Texas” watch.
Old 9 August 2018, 10:47 AM   #3
statsman
"TRF" Member

What I found out- these Sun Bowl Watches were “Jules Jurgensen” Watches. Jules Jurgensen was an old Swiss (originally Danish in the 18th century) watch manufacturer that had started outsourcing movements in the 1950s. The company shut down almost 20 years ago.

Jules Jurgensen purchased these watches from Seiko and badged them as their own.

Because this is a Seiko board, I will provide a picture of a Seiko watch that is one of my favorites, from the 2005 Big 12 championship game that sent Texas to the National Championship game (70-3 over Colorado). It is a kinetic watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1AD0E247-11D9-48A3-ABCF-BEFFF1AE7901.jpeg (84.1 KB, 46 views)