The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 August 2018, 01:15 AM   #1
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
SGBH267 or snowflake?

I'm deciding between the SGBH267 and the snowflake. They both go for appox the same $-wise, and are both beautiful in their own right.

Right off the bat both my wife and I prefer the snowflake. When compared next to the blue, one thing we didn't like was how light the watch felt in hand and on the wrist; it felt a little cheap. Is titanium inferior to SS? I'm going to research this today. In the meanwhile feel free to school me. Totally new to this.

Also, I'm trying to decide how I feel about the spring drive movement. A quartz-cum-mechanical movement? Perhaps I'm more of a traditionalist or it's my OCD kicking in and telling me this is not natural. Still reading up to find out more.

Another draw is that the blue is a limited production run of 1500 pcs; I feel like that shouldn't carry any weight in the decision making and I should base it solely on which watch sings to me; it's probably just a psychological thing. Hmmm. If the snowflake was a limited run I'd probably have bought it right away though. Arghh

Lastly I don't like the lightning blue rotor on the SGBH267! I thought the colour was a little jarring and it hinders viewing the movement through the caseback display. Not that I'd be looking at the caseback more than the front, but still...

Anyway, thoughts? This will be my first foray into the world of GS. All thoughts, advice, links to resources or articles to read etc. GREATLY appreciated!!

Old 21 August 2018, 01:34 AM   #2
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
The Snowflake has a great reputation and is a highly versatile piece. Spring Drive technology is arguably one of the few major developments in watchmaking technology (along with silicon parts and, of course, quartz movements) in the last 50 years. It's beautiful to watch that smooth sweep, and it's not some chintzy quartz movement. It's also not for everybody.

That blue SBGH267 is gorgeous, though. I saw it at my GS dealer the other day when I was picking up a watch being serviced. The blue color of the dial is spectacular, but I could have done without all of the mini GS engravings all over it... makes the Rolex dial spacer/rehaut look relatively tame...

My opinion, as a guy who loves Seiko, this would be a tough choice, but I would go with the Snowflake. Don't let the enticement of a Limited Edition steer you away from a watch that is beautifully crafted, and has one of the most unique movements in the world of watchmaking. Good luck, and enjoy whichever one you choose!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 02:48 AM   #3
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
267 for sure for me. The dial is just amazing. Now, the snow flake is also amazing looking watch but imho, not comparable to 267 in wow factor. Ultimately, it's a matter of personal choice.

Old 21 August 2018, 02:49 AM   #4
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
They are both fantastic watches. I think the white dial would be a smidge harder to wear casually than the blue though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 04:20 AM   #5
imperio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2 View Post
The Snowflake has a great reputation and is a highly versatile piece. Spring Drive technology is arguably one of the few major developments in watchmaking technology (along with silicon parts and, of course, quartz movements) in the last 50 years. It's beautiful to watch that smooth sweep, and it's not some chintzy quartz movement. It's also not for everybody.

That blue SBGH267 is gorgeous, though. I saw it at my GS dealer the other day when I was picking up a watch being serviced. The blue color of the dial is spectacular, but I could have done without all of the mini GS engravings all over it... makes the Rolex dial spacer/rehaut look relatively tame...

My opinion, as a guy who loves Seiko, this would be a tough choice, but I would go with the Snowflake. Don't let the enticement of a Limited Edition steer you away from a watch that is beautifully crafted, and has one of the most unique movements in the world of watchmaking. Good luck, and enjoy whichever one you choose!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thanks, yes agreed I need to un-see the LE factor. The mini engravings is actually the appeal for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
267 for sure for me. The dial is just amazing. Now, the snow flake is also amazing looking watch but imho, not comparable to 267 in wow factor. Ultimately, it's a matter of personal choice.
Beautiful dial for sure, I love the intricacy of craftmanship of that dial. If I was to choose between dials alone, blue wins hands down. But apart from the dial, I'm not sure there is much else going for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heff View Post
They are both fantastic watches. I think the white dial would be a smidge harder to wear casually than the blue though.

I agree
Old 21 August 2018, 04:51 AM   #6
Takonwong
"TRF" Member

Both beautiful. The Springdrive is what first drew me to GS, it's so different to the others out there and then the lightness of the Snowflake was the deciding factor when choosing which model (the dial was a major factor too!)

Titanium is not objectively inferior to SS though it does scratch easier but for many, lightness equates to inferiority.

Having said that if it were to be my only watch then it would be SGBH267 for me as it would suit more occasions, otherwise the Snowflake!
Takonwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 05:20 AM   #7
imperio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takonwong View Post
Both beautiful. The Springdrive is what first drew me to GS, it's so different to the others out there and then the lightness of the Snowflake was the deciding factor when choosing which model (the dial was a major factor too!)

Titanium is not objectively inferior to SS though it does scratch easier but for many, lightness equates to inferiority.

Having said that if it were to be my only watch then it would be SGBH267 for me as it would suit more occasions, otherwise the Snowflake!
Thanks. Literally reading up on the spring drive right now. And yes my immediate thoughts when I first held it was why is it so light compared to the 267.

It will be part of a collection, not an only watch.
Old 22 August 2018, 12:46 AM   #8
rolexbrand
Banned

i would go for a snowflake
rolexbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 03:12 AM   #9
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
You can't go wrong with either but I would go 267. Both are super nice but I like the case and dial of the hi beat better. And as far as spring drive goes, it's an amazing movement, does not get enough credit in the watch world and the fact that it uses a quartz crystal to regulate shouldn't bother you at all. It just makes it more accurate. This isn't a no brainer, both are awesome.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2018, 06:00 AM   #10
ragsk
Banned

I was at the Seiko boutique in Knightsbridge today to get my watch sized. They have totally sold out of the 267 in London. Another customer was in store and had just asked about it and the boutique manager asked me whether she could show my watch to him.The other customer loved it but the store manager reconfirmed that they couldn't source one for him. I told him that there were still a few knocking about on Chrono24 at cheaper than list.

Anyway im glad I went for the 267. When sunlight hits the dial, it truly looks incredible!
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2018, 11:26 AM   #11
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
I was at the Seiko boutique in Knightsbridge today to get my watch sized. They have totally sold out of the 267 in London. Another customer was in store and had just asked about it and the boutique manager asked me whether she could show my watch to him.The other customer loved it but the store manager reconfirmed that they couldn't source one for him. I told him that there were still a few knocking about on Chrono24 at cheaper than list.

Anyway im glad I went for the 267. When sunlight hits the dial, it truly looks incredible!
I was there last June and they were already sold out also by then. London GS stock is surprising thin considering that they are a GS boutique. The one in Tokyo is a lot better. I'm lucky to find one at airport store. I guess the typical traveller will have no idea about this watch so it has been sitting there for a while.
Old 1 September 2018, 10:19 PM   #12
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
I was there last June and they were already sold out also by then. London GS stock is surprising thin considering that they are a GS boutique. The one in Tokyo is a lot better. I'm lucky to find one at airport store. I guess the typical traveller will have no idea about this watch so it has been sitting there for a while.
Been to Tokyo like 50 times in my life but never thought to look at Seiko there
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2018, 10:58 PM   #13
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Snowflake is light and titanium is light. Nothing wrong with it.

I sold my SBGW253 manual LE for the Snowflake because GS is Snowflake.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2018, 10:14 AM   #14
nickrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex milgauss
You got me looking at seiko now. 267 Nice watch!!!
nickrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 10:00 PM   #15
venom79
"TRF" Member

Get both, cant go wrong with any of them
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 86C4EC21-CC69-4478-9276-ADE0883E2F31.jpeg (142.4 KB, 109 views)
venom79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 11:06 PM   #16
JeremyS
"TRF" Member

I’m a fan of the 267. Those lugs are gorgeous. Also, I like the larger crown.
JeremyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 03:45 AM   #17
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
I also prefer the 267... that dial to me is just amazing!
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 04:09 AM   #18
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Both. The only question is: Which one first?
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 04:35 AM   #19
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I have both but if forced to choose one, as part of a collection, it would be the snowflake as I think it is more unique and a teeny tiny more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 04:55 AM   #20
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I can't pick a winner, either will be at the peak of most collections. I once got advised that the painting one should buy in a gallery is the one you are drawn to first.

You and your wife both liked the Snowflake from the get go, so, that would be the one.

The good thing is, whichever watch you choose, as you are walking away, you are guaranteed to have not made a mistake.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 06:47 AM   #21
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Really great watches....but if I had to pick one the SBGH267 would win for the dial AND the fact there's no power reserve subdial on the face like the spring drive Snowflake.....I bought into a a SBGA387 because I couldn't resist that dial but the subdial still bothers me and I'm hoping I'll grow into it when the watch finally comes in. The 267 is just that good though.....dimensions actually is very nice being thinner than their high beat GMTs and the way the case curves on my wrist. Love it.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote