The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 26 February 2012, 12:54 PM   #31
psv
"TRF" Member

I have a lot of respect and admiration for PP but I'll gladly admit that the Nautilus never sang to me. I have no intention of ever owning one.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2012, 03:30 AM   #32
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
I have a lot of respect and admiration for PP but I'll gladly admit that the Nautilus never sang to me. I have no intention of ever owning one.
I thought exactly the same as you about 5 years ago...........You wouldn't get me wearing one of those. Than 18 months I started to appreciate more the Nautilus range.

And though I didn't get one I did get a 5167 Aquanaut and came very,very close to getting the new 5726
Old 28 February 2012, 04:21 AM   #33
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
Ugly? Possible, for those people who have no appreciation for Genta designs (Royal Oak, Nautilus, Ingenieur, etc). To me the whole Genta thing was an acquired taste. The more I saw the Royal Oak and Nautilus "in the metal", the more I liked them.

But boring? Come on. If the 5711 is boring, then how about the Explorer I? Or the Air-King? Just because a watch has a minimalistic design, it doesn't mean it is boring. It just happens to have a simple and clean face. If you need something a bit more exciting or one that looks more complicated, then there's the Nautilus Chrono 5980 and the Nautilus Annual Calendar 5726:

BTW, it's quite special and unique to wear a Royal Oak or a Nautilus. No, it's not because of their price tag or the design, but more it's the construction of the whole watch. The thin case with the integrated bracelet makes it wear totally different to "normal" watches (like Rolex, Omega, Breitling, Tag, etc). Unfortunately just trying them on at an AD doesn't tell the whole story. You have to size the bracelet, put it on, take it out for a walk, etc. But it worth the try, trust me
Old 28 February 2012, 04:42 AM   #34
HyperM3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS White Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
Ugly? Possible, for those people who have no appreciation for Genta designs (Royal Oak, Nautilus, Ingenieur, etc). To me the whole Genta thing was an acquired taste.
Funny you say that because I am absolutely in love with the Genta Bi-Retro watches and consider that to be one of my grails. I think the Royal Oak is a very nice watch as well.

I suppose using the word "ugly" is a bit overkill. However, I would say it is not modern looking by any means.
HyperM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2012, 05:08 AM   #35
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
However, I would say it is not modern looking by any means.
Just like most Rolex watches for that matter No offense, of course, but truth be told, their design roots go back to the '40s and '50s. But a modern design may well mean that it looks great now, but it will look outdated very soon. E.g. Hublot Big Bang is very much "in" since 2006, but noone knows how it would look 10 years from now.

BTW, I find it interesting that somehow the things (cars, watches) designed in the '70s seem to raise more controversies than the ones designed before and after that decade.
Old 29 February 2012, 06:00 AM   #36
Kevin B
"TRF" Member

Just a personal opinion, but I have yet to see a PP that I REALLY like. A jeweler here in town is a huge PP fan and owns quite a few. He wears an older gold perpetual calender watch that he really likes. When we discuss watches he seems to appreciate those that appreciate.......if you know what I mean. I'm not surprised by my lack of love for the PP line as I tend to gravitate to sport watches. Maybe as I age they will begin to grow on me.
Kevin B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2012, 06:29 AM   #37
warren G.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster 3861
@OP : I guess we have different taste.

Quote:
Ugly? Possible, for those people who have no appreciation for Genta designs (Royal Oak, Nautilus, Ingenieur, etc). To me the whole Genta thing was an acquired taste. The more I saw the Royal Oak and Nautilus "in the metal", the more I liked them.

But boring? Come on. If the 5711 is boring, then how about the Explorer I? Or the Air-King? Just because a watch has a minimalistic design, it doesn't mean it is boring. It just happens to have a simple and clean face. If you need something a bit more exciting or one that looks more complicated, then there's the Nautilus Chrono 5980 and the Nautilus Annual Calendar 5726:

BTW, it's quite special and unique to wear a Royal Oak or a Nautilus. No, it's not because of their price tag or the design, but more it's the construction of the whole watch. The thin case with the integrated bracelet makes it wear totally different to "normal" watches (like Rolex, Omega, Breitling, Tag, etc). Unfortunately just trying them on at an AD doesn't tell the whole story. You have to size the bracelet, put it on, take it out for a walk, etc. But it worth the try, trust me
Well said... The Royal Oak, Nautilus, Ingenieur, Oversea, and etc is up there with my favorite design of all time. I definitely agree on "Unfortunately just trying them on at an AD doesn't tell the whole story."
Old 29 February 2012, 07:50 AM   #38
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Just because a watch has a minimalistic design, it doesn't mean it is boring. It just happens to have a simple and clean face.
I agree, I actually think the minimalistic design of the 5711 is the model's biggest strength. But then again, I care little for complications.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2012, 02:32 PM   #39
archeophoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M Submariner
The first time I saw the Nautilus or the Aquanaut, I thought "How boring is that? And this is how much?"
But the more I see the watch at dealerships or in photos the more the design grows on me. And that's the secret of good design. This watch is an absolute classic. I think when we look back in 50 years of the best designs in watch history, this one and the submariner will be the top two. Too bad I have to win in the lottery for this one.
archeophoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2012, 07:35 AM   #40
cwilson13
"TRF" Member

Personally, not a big fan of the steels (except for some reason the 5167 Agua). However, complications like the 5146 would NOT be passed on to my next gen. I would demand it come with me in the worm box just in case there really is an after life...i would want it with me forever!
cwilson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2012, 08:25 AM   #41
mdtddd2007
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, AP, GS
The shape of the watch. Differs from all others. Being only 8 mm
thick. WR 120 m is pretty impressive. Iconic design. Perfect size.
After is a PP. U have to see in person to appreciate the watch. I luv it.
mdtddd2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2012, 08:58 AM   #42
Daimler
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tag Heuer
Not for me, but maybe when I grow up
Daimler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2012, 09:45 AM   #43
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

You are not alone...

I can appreciate many fine qualities in a watch of which I am sure the Nautilus has many but it does not have pleasing aesthetics for my eye but as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder so to all that do, great!

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2012, 10:32 AM   #44
h999r
Banned

Watch: -ing Barts.
I finally have guts to buy Patek 5726 although my hearts keep saying buy another AP watch. But the other hand I want to have 1 patek for my collection. I got so many compliment for this watch, but still RM or AP is on my top list wacthes.
h999r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2012, 01:02 PM   #45
ec10020
Banned

funny

I cant help but to smirk when reading this thread because so many people are praising the nautilus design when it is an abomination that no one would wear if it didnt have the Patek branding.

The siren song of the patek ne plus ultra branding is strong and the nautilus is the only wearable patek for a semi active lifestyle and casual dress work environment, and thats why it sells. The design is a compromise, something people learn to live with just to have patek on their wrist.

if the nautilus was made by rado which feature the same im wearing a bracelet/integrated bracelet styling, then no WIS would be singing praises.
ec10020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2012, 01:46 PM   #46
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec10020 View Post
I cant help but to smirk when reading this thread because so many people are praising the nautilus design when it is an abomination that no one would wear if it didnt have the Patek branding.

The siren song of the patek ne plus ultra branding is strong and the nautilus is the only wearable patek for a semi active lifestyle and casual dress work environment, and thats why it sells. The design is a compromise, something people learn to live with just to have patek on their wrist.

if the nautilus was made by rado which feature the same im wearing a bracelet/integrated bracelet styling, then no WIS would be singing praises.
Really?! Didn't you have your fun back in Dec? I'm shocked you deign to honor us "riff raff" with your words of wisdom. We get that you don't like the Nautilus line - move on. Oh and I still haven't seen you post any of your supposed "collection"... but that would make you no better than us "16 yr old high school girls with Facebook" eh?
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2012, 04:08 PM   #47
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Really?! Didn't you have your fun back in Dec? I'm shocked you deign to honor us "riff raff" with your words of wisdom. We get that you don't like the Nautilus line - move on. Oh and I still haven't seen you post any of your supposed "collection"... but that would make you no better than us "16 yr old high school girls with Facebook" eh?
I had to go back and read all 6 pages from that post to get what you were saying. Not that the guy isn't arrogant but he is funny while being condescending.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2012, 04:18 PM   #48
ec10020
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Oh and I still haven't seen you post any of your supposed "collection"...
Wearing a rose gold manual wind lange saxonia is classy.

Merely owning one is not.

There is a big difference between the two, not that philistines would understand the distinction.

Why did I deign to post in this thread? I was amused by the OP's social vignette of the daytona and nautilus encounter.

The guy who knows nothing about watches would pick the daytona

The guy who knows about watch branding from reading internet forums or back page ads in the economist or robb report would pick the nautilus.

The guy who knows watches and not just watch advertising and knows that a blue parachrom hairspring is the real deal and non-hacking seconds on a mechanical watch in 2012 is a joke would pick daytona.

As a thought exercise, imagine the daytona had a display back and you compared it to the nautilus with the 324sc movement. The 324sc may look finer under a loupe (debatable, remember this is a basic patek not a grande complication so it was probably finished by a patek intern) but the daytona has a balance bridge, blue hairspring, column wheel, vertical clutch trigger, to look at. The daytona is the superior piece of horology.

pateks are nice watches, but this particular patek fails to impress and will not make any suisse banque look more favorably on your application for a secret numbered account.
ec10020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2012, 04:53 PM   #49
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
i like it but out of my range and can look too old for me
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2012, 08:03 AM   #50
HyperM3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS White Daytona
Ok, so the guy came back in who I saw wearing it originally and I asked to try it on. I have to admit, it felt really good and was very light. When it was on my wrist I actually liked it a bit more. Pictures really dont do this watch any justice. I admit my opinion might have been quick and unfair. Im humble enough to say that.
HyperM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 04:01 PM   #51
DreambreaX
Banned

design is really bad imo. People respect because the name of the watch is PATEK.

imagine change its name from patek to timex with the same design. will people respect the watch?
DreambreaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 04:19 PM   #52
George Ab
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Them
The word "ugly" and "boring" would not come to mind to describe the Nautilus.

I would love to own a Aquanaut, and I really, really like the Nautilus. I find it stunning. Not a fan of PP dress watches, as I am a sport watch guy.

George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 04:21 PM   #53
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreambreaX View Post
design is really bad imo. People respect because the name of the watch is PATEK.

imagine change its name from patek to timex with the same design. will people respect the watch?
As a Timex and Nautilus owner, I don't see the problem. What about the design is really bad?
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2012, 12:15 AM   #54
VetteBandit
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them!
I am a fan of the 5711. I think its easy for people to bash on it because of its clean lines and what some call a simple design. People fail to recognize is how hard it is to design something "simple," but with a powerful impact (design) and feel.

It may not be for everyone and that's ok, but my opinion is it's a fantastic piece.

Instagram: @30threejosh
VetteBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2012, 01:45 PM   #55
lorsban
"TRF" Member

I pretty much agree with the OP. Though, I don't mind the design since I like all or most of Genta's designs. But, why does this cost almost double compared to an AP Royal Oak, Vacheron Oversees - fine brands, in house movements, stainless steel...I mean, it's Steel, and all it does is tell the time and date!

Then again, this is basically the same question people ask about Rolex, compared to Omega, Breitling.

I guess brand goodwill means everything in this business.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
Old 30 August 2012, 04:38 PM   #56
InTime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteBandit View Post
I am a fan of the 5711. I think its easy for people to bash on it because of its clean lines and what some call a simple design. People fail to recognize is how hard it is to design something "simple," but with a powerful impact (design) and feel.

It may not be for everyone and that's ok, but my opinion is it's a fantastic piece.

2x
InTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2012, 01:14 AM   #57
craniotes
Banned

Love it. Always have. Always will.

Regards,
Adam

PS - Make mine a 5711, though; complications only serve to, uh, complicate the matter.
craniotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2012, 02:08 AM   #58
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
So a colleague of the business is in my bosses office and I notice the PP on his wrist. I comment "nice timepiece" and smile. My manager knows I'm a WIS and asks me which one Im wearing today. I show the Daytona. Then we all get to talking about watches and how this colleague has another PP on order coming in soon. Fun conversation and all but I went back to my desk to work.

This is the watch he was wearing:

I cannot help but think how ugly this thing is. It is so boring looking, and if anything doesnt look the price to me. Im sure its a great watch, solid and keeps great time. But I cannot fathom spending that much on a name.

Anyone else feel the same way about this watch?
I love this model. It has a very 70's quality to me, that is not in any way affected.

Regarding it's value, or lack there of, that's a slippery slope. To you a SS Patek at 20k doesn't make sense. You conclude the owner is paying for the name. To someone else, your 12k SS Rolex Daytona doesn't make sense. You can purchase an equally well-finished (actually probably better) Grand Seiko for less than 8k. That person might conclude that you're just paying for the name. Ultimately, people buy what they like (and hopefully) can afford. I try to stay away from any sort of judgement.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2012, 02:28 AM   #59
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
The Aquanaut doesn't do much for me but I love the Nautilus series of watches.
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2012, 12:03 PM   #60
Jamieshook
"TRF" Member

"Absolutely hideous"? That's crazy talk. It could have a bit more personality, but I like simple and classic.
Jamieshook is offline   Reply With Quote