The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Closed Thread

Old 10 February 2013, 05:39 AM   #31
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Whether there are scratches there or not odds are they'd be there after a couple weeks of wear anyway. My advice, beautiful watch wear it well and enjoy!
Old 10 February 2013, 05:52 AM   #32
Formosa

I am just more concerned that the scratches are mostly on the fluted bezel, might be hard to polish them, or maybe impossible. Also, what if the watch has been worn and refurbished to new.
Old 10 February 2013, 05:53 AM   #33
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formosa View Post
I am just more concerned that the scratches are mostly on the fluted bezel, might be hard to polish them, or maybe impossible.
Since they are almost invisible it's not hard at all.
Old 10 February 2013, 05:54 AM   #34
Formosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Since they are almost invisible it's not hard at all.
yup.. let's hope so
Old 10 February 2013, 05:56 AM   #35
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
yup.. let's hope so
Actual labor time..............5 minutes.
Old 10 February 2013, 06:11 AM   #36
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

I think I am just going to take the watch as it is... Since my wife doesn't seem to be bother with the issues.
I think this is best path...

Quote:
I am just more concerned that the scratches are mostly on the fluted bezel, might be hard to polish them, or maybe impossible. Also, what if the watch has been worn and refurbished to new.
It can be handled when first service is due - if the trusted seller assures you it was BNIB, then it would be unworn - except for wrist-time that happened at AD.

Remember it is no longer BNIB if you have entered your name on the warranty so a full return is not really fair for some minor things your wife doesn't mind.

Now for the book and box, that is something a trusted seller could address. You mentioned seller admits it could have been shopworn from AD, right?

Perhaps suggest an exchange with a good box of identical type and booklet from the next BNIB or LNIB that seller gets could be swapped with yours.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 10 February 2013, 06:18 AM   #37
gwozhog
"TRF" Member

I got news for you. If your watch was not bought at an AD it is not BNIB. It has a history. It may not be along one but it has a history. It is pretty hard to even buy a scratch free watch from a AD considering all the people that try it on while its in the display case.
Old 10 February 2013, 06:20 AM   #38
Sherwooddavid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
That's why I always buy from and AD.
I don't worry about a few scratches on the outside I worry about what you can't see on the inside.
Old 10 February 2013, 06:23 AM   #39
Formosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I think this is best path...

It can be handled when first service is due - if the trusted seller assures you it was BNIB, then it would be unworn - except for wrist-time that happened at AD.

Remember it is no longer BNIB if you have entered your name on the warranty so a full return is not really fair for some minor things your wife doesn't mind.

Now for the book and box, that is something a trusted seller could address. You mentioned seller admits it could have been shopworn from AD, right?

Perhaps suggest an exchange with a good box of identical type and booklet from the next BNIB or LNIB that seller gets could be swapped with yours.
The book and the box does bother me a little, let me ask the seller what he can do for me about it.
Old 10 February 2013, 06:29 AM   #40
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
The book and the box does bother me a little, let me ask the seller what he can do for me about it.
Your seller is such a good guy that I bet if he did read this thread he already mailed you a new box.
Old 10 February 2013, 06:50 AM   #41
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Hairline scratches maybe but dents?
Have you bought a beaten beater?

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Old 10 February 2013, 07:25 AM   #42
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Old 11 February 2013, 10:09 AM   #43
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
Whether there are scratches there or not odds are they'd be there after a couple weeks of wear anyway. My advice, beautiful watch wear it well and enjoy!
x2
Old 11 February 2013, 02:17 PM   #44
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

That's a sweet looking watch, I'm sure your wife is happy with it
Old 11 February 2013, 04:09 PM   #45
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
I can see the scratch on the bezel. Personally I would not accept that if the watch was NIB and unworn.

I don't know who the seller is but I'm sure it'll be resolved to your satisfaction.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Old 11 February 2013, 04:32 PM   #46
T-Rip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD 116660
I think it's easy for any of us to say "oh don't worry about the scratches" when it's not our watch.. If the watch came with the stickers I would assume it was NIB.. Spending 10K for a watch it should be perfect.. the "character" scratches should be from the new owner not before..

Unless previously described I would not settle for scratches..also If a "trusted" seller is willing to send a box that was that out of line I would be suspect as well

Just my .02

Rolex: DSSD 116660, 16622 PLATTY
Old 11 February 2013, 07:45 PM   #47
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

...as long as your wife is happy with it, that's all that counts!

Seriously though, stuff the box and booklet, but if you understood the watch was mint and it isn't - return it. Simple. Too bad you already messed with the name on the papers. Hairline scratches are nothing, and inevitable. If you want mint/pristine, get a new one from a Rolex store, and then watch the damage you inflict on it accumulate. I'm sure you saved money by not buying from an AD. That's the rub.
Old 11 February 2013, 09:52 PM   #48
Lol-x
Facilitator

This thread has been flogged to death.
Upon receipt of the watch you had an opportunity to inspect the watch, the box and the booklet.
If you were unhappy about any aspect you should have immediately contacted the seller and if it was not to your satisfaction, immediately returned the watch and sought a refund.

However, what appears to have transpired is that you kept the watch, removed all the factory stickers and then made a public complaint against the seller.

This is not a proper way to handle a transaction.
The marks on the bezel (if they exist) would have been apparent to you prior to the removal of the factory stickers and you could have there and then sought to rescind the transaction.

It appears that you decided to affirm the transaction by retaining possession of the watch.

Now you will not be able to polish out a mark on a fluted bezel, that is very difficult. However, it is for all practical purposes trivial. The ding on the case (which many have said they cannot even see, and that applies to me too) is a matter that can be rectified either by Rolex now if you go to them, or included in the first service.

One of the joys of owning a Rolex is that when the watch is serviced it will come back to you like new. So in 5 years time, when it is all scratched up and dinged from day to day wear, you would be able to get it back to factory pristine condition by having Rolex undertake its periodic service.

I don't think this thread can be meaningfully continued in a constructive and useful way.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Old 11 February 2013, 10:12 PM   #49
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Ibtl
Old 11 February 2013, 10:35 PM   #50
Puffy
"TRF" Member

if it was sold as mint/brand new then get a refund. i would not put up with a scratched up watch like that

some sellers out there are no different to used car salesmen and will do and say anything to shift goods, even do what i call dishonest and misleading advertising by not fully divulging the factual details of a watch

some even post pictures of watches previously sold

if something is advertised as mint/brand new, then it can't have the marks you mention visible

these days you have to ask a lot of questions and do lots of due diligence
Old 11 February 2013, 10:46 PM   #51
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
hi did you have to remove links to get a proper fit for your wife's wrist?
Old 12 February 2013, 12:18 AM   #52
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
IBTL!
Old 12 February 2013, 10:46 AM   #53
Formosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Your seller is such a good guy that I bet if he did read this thread he already mailed you a new box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
Hairline scratches maybe but dents?
Have you bought a beaten beater?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGERVEGAS View Post
That's a sweet looking watch, I'm sure your wife is happy with it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Sub View Post
I can see the scratch on the bezel. Personally I would not accept that if the watch was NIB and unworn.

I don't know who the seller is but I'm sure it'll be resolved to your satisfaction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rip View Post
I think it's easy for any of us to say "oh don't worry about the scratches" when it's not our watch.. If the watch came with the stickers I would assume it was NIB.. Spending 10K for a watch it should be perfect.. the "character" scratches should be from the new owner not before..

Unless previously described I would not settle for scratches..also If a "trusted" seller is willing to send a box that was that out of line I would be suspect as well

Just my .02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
...as long as your wife is happy with it, that's all that counts!

Seriously though, stuff the box and booklet, but if you understood the watch was mint and it isn't - return it. Simple. Too bad you already messed with the name on the papers. Hairline scratches are nothing, and inevitable. If you want mint/pristine, get a new one from a Rolex store, and then watch the damage you inflict on it accumulate. I'm sure you saved money by not buying from an AD. That's the rub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
This thread has been flogged to death.
Upon receipt of the watch you had an opportunity to inspect the watch, the box and the booklet.
If you were unhappy about any aspect you should have immediately contacted the seller and if it was not to your satisfaction, immediately returned the watch and sought a refund.

However, what appears to have transpired is that you kept the watch, removed all the factory stickers and then made a public complaint against the seller.

This is not a proper way to handle a transaction.
The marks on the bezel (if they exist) would have been apparent to you prior to the removal of the factory stickers and you could have there and then sought to rescind the transaction.

It appears that you decided to affirm the transaction by retaining possession of the watch.

Now you will not be able to polish out a mark on a fluted bezel, that is very difficult. However, it is for all practical purposes trivial. The ding on the case (which many have said they cannot even see, and that applies to me too) is a matter that can be rectified either by Rolex now if you go to them, or included in the first service.

One of the joys of owning a Rolex is that when the watch is serviced it will come back to you like new. So in 5 years time, when it is all scratched up and dinged from day to day wear, you would be able to get it back to factory pristine condition by having Rolex undertake its periodic service.

I don't think this thread can be meaningfully continued in a constructive and useful way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Ibtl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
if it was sold as mint/brand new then get a refund. i would not put up with a scratched up watch like that

some sellers out there are no different to used car salesmen and will do and say anything to shift goods, even do what i call dishonest and misleading advertising by not fully divulging the factual details of a watch

some even post pictures of watches previously sold

if something is advertised as mint/brand new, then it can't have the marks you mention visible

these days you have to ask a lot of questions and do lots of due diligence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
IBTL!
Thanks for the replies, here's an update: The seller has sent out a new box to me. Also he said if I still had the stickers on then he's willing to accept the refund, if not then I can send it back to him and he will polish the lug and bezel for me. I told him just to send me a new box and that's all. I really don't want the watch to go back and forth, also I really don't think anyone can polish/buff off those scratch marks on the bezel as they are really thick scratches. You may see the scratches if you zoom in on the pictures. Yes I am sad but what can I do?

Just want to get this cleared...
-Seller said it's a brand new watch and unworn. And as any normal person would think IT IS in mint or perfect condition. Also, he is one of the top 5 recommended seller on TRF.

-The watch was delivered straight to my wife's work place as a gift. I was not there when she received the package. I did ask her to examine the watch before taking the stickers off. The scratches and dents were under the stickers according to my wife. And I know she did not drop it on the floor or anything.

However, I have already settled it with the seller for a new box. Even if I am unhappy with the purchase, I guess I'll just have to forget about it.
Old 12 February 2013, 10:48 AM   #54
Formosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
IBTL!
Thanks but what does IBTL mean?
Old 12 February 2013, 11:00 AM   #55
TPLGT
"TRF" Member

It means...In Before The Lock...so IBTL!!

Glad you got this resolved!!
Old 12 February 2013, 11:06 AM   #56
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Is this thread for real??? Scratches under the plastic covering on a bnib watch??
Old 12 February 2013, 11:12 AM   #57
Formosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgiants View Post
Is this thread for real??? Scratches under the plastic covering on a bnib watch??
I believe so... The stickers were removed at Wempe while she had the bracelet adjusted.
Old 12 February 2013, 12:15 PM   #58
Wolfgang427

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Quote:
I believe so... The stickers were removed at Wempe while she had the bracelet adjusted.
Well it wouldn't be the 1st time a jeweler or AD scratched a watch while adjusting a bracelet and then said that the scractches were there all along.
TRF member #917
Old 12 February 2013, 12:43 PM   #59
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT IIc
Quote:
I see the dent in the lug, and personally would be disappointed if it was my watch. However if I understand correctly, this was was delivered to your wife who took it to a jewelry store to have it resized where they removed the stickers? If that's the case then it's not really fair to hold the seller responsible.

P.S. What's wrong with the book? I can't see anything, but sometimes I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Old 12 February 2013, 01:04 PM   #60
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, here's an update: The seller has sent out a new box to me. Also he said if I still had the stickers on then he's willing to accept the refund, if not then I can send it back to him and he will polish the lug and bezel for me. I told him just to send me a new box and that's all. I really don't want the watch to go back and forth, also I really don't think anyone can polish/buff off those scratch marks on the bezel as they are really thick scratches. You may see the scratches if you zoom in on the pictures. Yes I am sad but what can I do?

Just want to get this cleared...
-Seller said it's a brand new watch and unworn. And as any normal person would think IT IS in mint or perfect condition. Also, he is one of the top 5 recommended seller on TRF.

-The watch was delivered straight to my wife's work place as a gift. I was not there when she received the package. I did ask her to examine the watch before taking the stickers off. The scratches and dents were under the stickers according to my wife. And I know she did not drop it on the floor or anything.

However, I have already settled it with the seller for a new box. Even if I am unhappy with the purchase, I guess I'll just have to forget about it.
I'm going to start by saying there is no such thing as a "TRF Seller"!
TRF does not have any affiliation with the members who post in the FS/WTB sections of this forum... Furthermore, TRF is not in anyway responsible for transactions made through this website...
These members posting are private individuals who happen to be a member of this website..

Now, it's clear to me the seller took all the right avenues in making you a happy buyer.

These 'issues' you had with the purchase, should have been dealt with privately & immediately between the two of you.
Only when, and if, all avenues were exhausted for a satisfactory resolution, should this type of thread have been made public!!!

I don't see any further constructive conversation going forward.....

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
Closed Thread