The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 1 January 2017, 04:29 AM   #151
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmoeck View Post
Good point

I would have it opened up ASAP.. why didn't the seller offer the original parts with the sale, maybe he sold them separately.
Thx but not necessary to me and . .
Do not know, do not care because the deal is if I ever wanted to put the watch back to how it was purchased from Rolex, they would do it for me . . .
Old 1 January 2017, 05:24 AM   #152
VIG
"TRF" Member

Watch: this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Why $20K? He is not passing off an SS as a PM watch, that is not the issue. Me and most here are saying they only like OEM parts as that is in the SPIRIT of this forum. A dial and bezel would cost under $2K.

And my biggest issue is he was lied to. That is not a real OEM dial sprayed blue as claimed, so I would have thought at least the OP would want his money back on the fake dial, so I was actually doing him a favour, just as all the guys in the watch out section are doing on a daily basis.
$20K because the 116619, the only way to get blue dial/blue bezel from the factory, is about $28K and the 116610, the watch he's modded, is about $8500. Where can he get the OEM dial and bezel? From what I've seen they're few and far between. From my understanding, anyone with a Rolex parts account is required to send back 116619 parts when replacing them.

He's happy with his purchase. It looks exactly how he wants it to.
Old 1 January 2017, 05:46 AM   #153
mkmk
"TRF" Member

Some of you have to stop drinking the cool aid. It is a watch. If the OP is happy with it then that is all that matters. It is customized just like people do to cars, houses, planes, just about anything. Get off your holier then thou horse and get on with your own lives. OP it looks great. I am glad to see you and some others are above drinking the cool aid.
Old 1 January 2017, 05:46 AM   #154
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Funny part is that if OP would have just did a blue bezel and kept the dial black, this thread would have been mostly positive. I think people really have an issue with a watch that can potentially be sold as a PM (or attempted anyway).

OP, make sure whoever you leave the watch to when you pass knows it is not a genuine PM. I would hate for someone who doesn't really know about watches to get this, not know it is SS, and try and sell it for more than it's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 January 2017, 06:08 AM   #155
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmk View Post
Some of you have to stop drinking the cool aid. It is a watch. If the OP is happy with it then that is all that matters.
Would you use that rationale for a fake Rolex as well? I guess not. So the rationale is quite weak, isn't it.
Old 1 January 2017, 06:18 AM   #156
Nycturbovr6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investr View Post
Mods need to move this to the "WATCHOUT" sub forum where it clearly states "real/fake discussion, authenticity discussion", etc. I saw a guy in NYC a year ago wearing a Platona. I complimented him on it and he said thx and handed it to me to look at. I immediately knew it was fake bc of the weight. I then smiled and said nice watch, and he fessed up and told me it was a fake bezel and dial on a 116520. He was trying to portray owning a Platona. If you want to be original, then be original, don't make a cheap replica from a true classic. Done and done.....
Wow!
Just sounds like another typical 47th street story. You can find fakes of everything over there it's really quite disturbing. disgusting
Old 1 January 2017, 06:22 AM   #157
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post
Would you use that rationale for a fake Rolex as well? I guess not. So the rationale is quite weak, isn't it.
wait, if someone (NOT U) has a fake anything (to include, you know, like anatomical) knows it's fake and is happy (he/she NOT U) with it, they're wrong (just bcuz U DON'T LIKE IT)
Old 1 January 2017, 06:27 AM   #158
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Anyone else feel this way?
If it's a different color dial, say yellow for example, clearly aftermarket would you care?
Is it the fact that many of you feel it's a WG knockoff.
Trying to look like it's something it's not.
Weight in please.
Old 1 January 2017, 06:29 AM   #159
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Replace a Ferrari steering wheel with something from AutoZone, is it not still a Ferrari?

You guys are too much :)
Old 1 January 2017, 06:33 AM   #160
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
Funny part is that if OP would have just did a blue bezel and kept the dial black, this thread would have been mostly positive. I think people really have an issue with a watch that can potentially be sold as a PM (or attempted anyway).

OP, make sure whoever you leave the watch to when you pass knows it is not a genuine PM. I would hate for someone who doesn't really know about watches to get this, not know it is SS, and try and sell it for more than it's worth.

Thank you. A very balanced, politely worded opinion. Will heed your advice in the last paragraph even though I'm thinking this one should/will go with me since my final physical resting place will has already been established to be in the pristine blue waters outside my birth city here. This watch has become special . . . go figure
Old 1 January 2017, 06:34 AM   #161
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herts9 View Post
Replace a Ferrari steering wheel with something from AutoZone, is it not still a Ferrari?

You guys are too much :)
Bless you many times over sir
Old 1 January 2017, 06:35 AM   #162
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmk View Post
Some of you have to stop drinking the cool aid. It is a watch. If the OP is happy with it then that is all that matters. It is customized just like people do to cars, houses, planes, just about anything. Get off your holier then thou horse and get on with your own lives. OP it looks great. I am glad to see you and some others are above drinking the cool aid.
Thanks for chiming in, appreciate that a lot sir
Old 1 January 2017, 06:38 AM   #163
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
$20K because the 116619, the only way to get blue dial/blue bezel from the factory, is about $28K and the 116610, the watch he's modded, is about $8500. Where can he get the OEM dial and bezel? From what I've seen they're few and far between. From my understanding, anyone with a Rolex parts account is required to send back 116619 parts when replacing them.

He's happy with his purchase. It looks exactly how he wants it to.

Interesting, thanks for info and the comments. This has become quite educational for me so well worth my effort, pretty darn great way to start off the new year
Old 1 January 2017, 06:54 AM   #164
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by landroverking View Post
Anyone else feel this way?

If it's a different color dial, say yellow for example, clearly aftermarket would you care?

Is it the fact that many of you feel it's a WG knockoff.

Trying to look like it's something it's not.

Weight in please.

I think this is the main issue. It is not a WG Rolex but tries to look like it. There are plenty of blue faced divers on the market so I don't understand why someone would do this to a ss Rolex. This mod just seems like you are trying to fool people, which really doesn't matter unless you try to sell as a WG model.
I believe someone mentioned this earlier but it is like me putting an M3 badge on my wife's 325.

Old 1 January 2017, 07:19 AM   #165
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
I think this is the main issue. It is not a WG Rolex but tries to look like it. There are plenty of blue faced divers on the market so I don't understand why someone would do this to a ss Rolex. This mod just seems like you are trying to fool people, which really doesn't matter unless you try to sell as a WG model.
I believe someone mentioned this earlier but it is like me putting an M3 badge on my wife's 325.

Thanks for this. If this was the main issue (and I'm not convinced it is, at least for some here) I can certainly understand the negativity. I'm not trying to pass it off as anything but a blue dialed Rolex watch that I like. In my quest to find a diver type in the blue hue that I want, I bought other watch models with blue dials but the blues disappointed. I like the blue of this thing, I do not want to pay more just because it happens to be made of a precious metal. I've never thought of it as the other model, will never say it is the other model, etc, etc and so forth and as I indicated earlier (seriously) will never part with this watch now . . .

Sorry, members here have the right to believe whatever they want of my psyche but/and it doesn't matter to me.

That said, I feel the main issue is that some (definitely not all thankfully) frown upon the fact that someone took a Rolex model and changed it, period. And/or that someone (like me) went ahead and bought the darn thing fully aware that it was altered. Well, I think my feelings of those feelings have already been established by me and the non-some's . . .

Last edited by drhr; 1 January 2017 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 1 January 2017, 07:21 AM   #166
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post

To the OP, First of all, not sure what prompted you earlier to take huge space on the thread by uploading pics of every watch in your collection? While it's impressive to say the least, what were you trying to prove, if anything.

Secondly, looking at your FS history here on TRF , it makes me wonder what people bought from you. Did you sell 'modded' watches to some unsuspecting buyers? Considering you don't see a problem with ANY watch trying to pass itself as something it's not. It's somewhat disturbing.

Finally, as others stated your watch and you can do whatever you want to it. However, you seem to be enjoying 'feeding' this thread with your comments after EVERY single post.
Old 1 January 2017, 07:34 AM   #167
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
To the OP, First of all, not sure what prompted you earlier to take huge space on the thread by uploading pics of every watch in your collection? While it's impressive to say the least, what were you trying to prove, if anything.

Secondly, looking at your FS history here on TRF , it makes me wonder what people bought from you. Did you sell 'modded' watches to some unsuspecting buyers? Considering you don't see a problem with ANY watch trying to pass itself as something it's not. It's somewhat disturbing.

Finally, as others stated your watch and you can do whatever you want to it. However, you seem to be enjoying 'feeding' this thread with your comments after EVERY single post.
Are you enjoying the bite that you just put in your mouth? I've said (barring mod intervention) I will stop this thing as soon as nobody has any other comment/question.

The pics were my ego trying to negate the fact that some think I don't have enough money to buy the WG model, sorry if you were offended, but my ego does often offend. I'd say yours gets you into trouble too even though you may not want to admit that.

As far as my past sales activity, why don't you just query the buyers of my watches. They have left feedback in this forum (I think) WUS, TZ and PuristsPro (beginning to gag at the first word in that title after the experience here) and would be willing to share their experiences I think. Please, if it is indeed what you want to know. I certainly will not say anything since you apparently wouldn't believe me anyway. Hey brah, Happy New Year!!!
Old 1 January 2017, 07:43 AM   #168
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post

Haha, you have me zooming in on the other watches in his pic wondering if they are real, it never ends
Old 1 January 2017, 07:49 AM   #169
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
OK

Haha, you have me zooming in on the other watches in his pic wondering if they are real, it never ends
Funny.
Old 1 January 2017, 07:56 AM   #170
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
never seen someone take such a beating for something so trivial and not go ape.

tip my hat to the OP for being civil and responding to the comments.
Old 1 January 2017, 08:08 AM   #171
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

Go ape? ;)

Old 1 January 2017, 08:18 AM   #172
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
OK

Indeed
Old 1 January 2017, 08:23 AM   #173
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
never seen someone take such a beating for something so trivial and not go ape.

tip my hat to the OP for being civil and responding to the comments.
Thanks! I'd go ape for/over something worthwhile and/or substantive from someone physically with me as opposed to a stranger on the www who I don't know and don't care about but so far, well . . .
Old 1 January 2017, 08:25 AM   #174
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
I like it. There are literally thousands of Rolex watches out there with aftermarket dials and inserts. Owners have been modding their watches for over 100 years.

Some of you guys need to lighten up here.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 1 January 2017, 08:29 AM   #175
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Man oh man. Some of these posters have their panties in such tight wads! FFS, it's just an (altered) watch. So what? If OP likes it, then who are we to judge?

I wouldn't buy that watch, but I don't care that OP did.

Old 1 January 2017, 08:30 AM   #176
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

This thread has run its course, to say the least.

It's easy to see why there are so many not in the OP's court, and I believe Michael knew that would be the case from the start.

Fact is, it's a 'watch' (& I'm not even sure any part of it is real) that has a horrible copy of a real ceramic insert, a supposed real dial that's been repainted (poorly IMO), to 'look' like a white gold Sub that it isn't. Or as Michael has said, "I like the shade of blue"!
This forum is about genuine Rolex watches and parts, copies and imitations not included.
It's fine to mod a watch, most would agree with that, but I think when you make something look like something that it isn't, and using replica parts etc, regardless of color, you tend to cross a line....

Now I don't care what anyone does with their watches in modding, and I'm not talking natos and straps, but this site is all about gen parts, and that's clearly not what this watch has.

With that, this thread can sit closed in the 'watchout' section, and people can be aware of what not to buy when looking for a white gold Sub.

Enjoy your watch Michael, everyone else, let's move on...

Happy new year to all!

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
Closed Thread