The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 10 November 2017, 07:08 AM   #271
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach7 View Post
But now Rolex has a record on that serial # as stolen so it might still backfire on him one day.
So who has legal ownership of the watch now? PayPal I assume, unless they have secondary insurance for this kind of situation. But how do they explain refunding the buyer's money if they believe it to be a theft?

The fact that PayPal refunded the buyer might confuse the situation for the police if it ever came to that.

I think he got away with a free Tudor. Hope that karma catches up with him.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 07:43 AM   #272
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But now Rolex has a record on that serial # as stolen so it might still backfire on him one day.
And he won't be able to pull the scam again on that account.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 08:06 AM   #273
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Great news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 November 2017, 08:19 AM   #274
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
for all the snarky comments left in this thread i hope you realize that roach7 is a reputable seller and great member.

im pretty disappointed in general...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 08:23 AM   #275
roach7
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
for all the snarky comments left in this thread i hope you realize that roach7 is a reputable seller and great member.

I believe it is partially my mistake of not being careful and documenting everything that leaves my hands. I've changed my process now and all serial numbers are photographed next to the warranty card right before shipment.

I have learned a great deal from this community, thank you everyone!
roach7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 02:03 PM   #276
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Outstanding and awesome news.
Very happy for you
Adam
Old 10 November 2017, 08:54 PM   #277
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
After 4 weeks and 2 failed appeals, PayPal reversed their decision and credited me back the funds!

Thanks to everyone's advice and I've learned a great deal from this ordeal.
Glad to hear!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 09:25 PM   #278
mfnj
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I believe it is partially my mistake of not being careful and documenting everything that leaves my hands. I've changed my process now and all serial numbers are photographed next to the warranty card right before shipment.

I have learned a great deal from this community, thank you everyone!
Glad it worked out. Question - as an active seller, does this experience now change your thoughts as to acceptable payment methods? Would you still accept PayPal knowing that it is a “stressful” process to battle a scammer?
mfnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 12:15 AM   #279
roach7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfnj View Post
Glad it worked out. Question - as an active seller, does this experience now change your thoughts as to acceptable payment methods? Would you still accept PayPal knowing that it is a “stressful” process to battle a scammer?
Currently I will only accept PP for payments under 10k. I might have to change that to 2k for international payments.
Old 11 November 2017, 12:27 AM   #280
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
Wow excellent news , glad you got your money back.
epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 12:32 AM   #281
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post

I was thinking quite the opposite, thought it was mostly respectful and very informative...
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 12:34 AM   #282
Knappo 1307

Quote:
Currently I will only accept PP for payments under 10k. I might have to change that to 2k for international payments.
Can you not accept PP at all on eBay? I've never seen that option when verifying payment acceptance...
Old 11 November 2017, 12:41 AM   #283
roach7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Can you not accept PP at all on eBay? I've never seen that option when verifying payment acceptance...
You can uncheck PayPal but you'd have to pick one of the other credit cards or payment upon pick-up.
Old 11 November 2017, 01:04 AM   #284
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
its pretty hard not to accept paypal as a power seller on ebay.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 01:09 AM   #285
Knappo 1307

Quote:
You can uncheck PayPal but you'd have to pick one of the other credit cards or payment upon pick-up.
Got it..
Old 11 November 2017, 02:10 AM   #286
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
Quote:
After 4 weeks and 2 failed appeals, PayPal reversed their decision and credited me back the funds!

Thanks to everyone's advice and I've learned a great deal from this ordeal.
So glad for you. What was the base of their final decision? Did Paypal pay you back out of their own pocket or get the money back from the buyer?

Last edited by yxc145; 11 November 2017 at 02:13 AM.. Reason: I am stupid for not reading all the resposnes.
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 02:44 AM   #287
roach7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yxc145 View Post
So glad for you. What was the base of their final decision? Did Paypal pay you back out of their own pocket or get the money back from the buyer?
PP did not disclose any details other than they made a mistake in the previous decisions. They refunded from their own pocket and I'm not sure if they're going to pursue the buyer to returns the funds to them...
Old 11 November 2017, 03:38 AM   #288
ancientmariner
"TRF" Member

Great result
ancientmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 05:07 PM   #289
jbarolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex
jbarolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 05:44 PM   #290
kekes7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yesterday was my 3rd attempt calling PP after the 2 failed appeals. The agent said to give her 5min to review the case and she came back and simply said the previous decisions were incorrect and she will personally see to it that I get my money back. She did not disclose what the exact details were and I didn't want to push. I'm just glad I got my money back...
just got through the whole thread. glad it had a happy ending.

heres my 2 cents.

buyer seemed fishy for the only reason is that you can pick up a BB from a AD in australia for 3k AUD, so why spend 3.5K USD which is about 5K AUD??

and they are readily available.

if it hadnt been resolved, i would have suggested that the only way to get a fake BB in australia is to order it from overseas, and generally pay with paypal. so there would have been a good chance if it was a case of switching the real with a fake that there would be a prior history of a fake watch purchase maybe on their paypal account. and maybe paypal realised this.

so if things had not have been resolved i would have suggested to the OP to get the police here in australia to investigate his purchase history on paypal and credit cards for known fake watch retailers on his statement. a long shot, and one that now seems was not necessary
kekes7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 05:53 PM   #291
roach7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kekes7 View Post
just got through the whole thread. glad it had a happy ending.

heres my 2 cents.

buyer seemed fishy for the only reason is that you can pick up a BB from a AD in australia for 3k AUD, so why spend 3.5K USD which is about 5K AUD??

and they are readily available.

if it hadnt been resolved, i would have suggested that the only way to get a fake BB in australia is to order it from overseas, and generally pay with paypal. so there would have been a good chance if it was a case of switching the real with a fake that there would be a prior history of a fake watch purchase maybe on their paypal account. and maybe paypal realised this.

so if things had not have been resolved i would have suggested to the OP to get the police here in australia to investigate his purchase history on paypal and credit cards for known fake watch retailers on his statement. a long shot, and one that now seems was not necessary
The original purchase was for 2500usd. I also reached out to his local police and they told me to submit a report to the ACORN which is the cybercrime unit but ACORN rejected my report and told me to file a local police report but they never told me exactly how to properly follow through with the report... seems like it's extremely difficult to report crime over there and maybe the buyer knows this? Maybe someone with experience with how things work in Australia can chime in... If PP didn't refund me I would've kept trying to get local police involved.
Old 11 November 2017, 06:01 PM   #292
kekes7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The original purchase was for 2500usd. I also reached out to his local police and they told me to submit a report to the ACORN which is the cybercrime unit but ACORN rejected my report and told me to file a local police report but they never told me exactly how to properly follow through with the report... seems like it's extremely difficult to report crime over there and maybe the buyer knows this? Maybe someone with experience with how things work in Australia can chime in... If PP didn't refund me I would've kept trying to get local police involved.
the police here in OZ do have a cyber division that you can report to. never used it but have heard it works. not sure of how complicared it is to report but it is possible, and i am sure us ozzies here could have helped you out.

glad paypal sorted it out though, no more headaches to deal with
Old 11 November 2017, 06:04 PM   #293
kekes7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
sorry, for some reason i thought it was for 3500. even at 2500 it works out neither here or there on the exchange, so again bells ring as to why they didnt buy from an AD here. but then again who cares now. all is sorted
Old 11 November 2017, 11:37 PM   #294
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Glad it all worked out! But you did get very lucky this time as you well know.

I would never sell by paypal or ebay as they 99% of the time side with the buyer. Usually they do not care for evidence, only that the buyer is unhappy and they want to make him happy. Sellers are ten a penny on ebay but customer confidence can be lost in a heartbeat if buyers are not sure of their money back so this will always be ebay policy - protect the buyer at all costs.

The only possible fight you have against a bait and fake switch is you take pics of your serial number and card before you send it. And tell the buyer you will be doing so and show him pics of it on ebay before you ship it out, so there is some ebay record of the watch you sent out. Still not any guarantee of ebay siding with you.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 12:03 AM   #295
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
My guess is the buyer is a WIS, not a serial scammer. He's a student, he really wanted a Black Bay, but he couldn't afford a $3000 watch.

I think he sought out a listing with crappy pics. With too many high quality photos, his switch would not have worked. Considering the lack of actual photos in the listing, PayPal will side with the buyer.
I believe this is what happened, and judging by his messages and the usual excuses as to where it might have been "switched" without actually being really angry or upset, pretty much confirms it.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 01:27 AM   #296
roach7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post

I would never sell by paypal or ebay as they 99% of the time side with the buyer. Usually they do not care for evidence, only that the buyer is unhappy and they want to make him happy. Sellers are ten a penny on ebay but customer confidence can be lost in a heartbeat if buyers are not sure of their money back so this will always be ebay policy - protect the buyer at all costs.

The only possible fight you have against a bait and fake switch is you take pics of your serial number and card before you send it. And tell the buyer you will be doing so and show him pics of it on ebay before you ship it out, so there is some ebay record of the watch you sent out. Still not any guarantee of ebay siding with you.
Yes, you always need some luck as a seller fighting PP.

That's exactly my new process now, I take a picture of the watch serial next to the matching warranty card. I will also post through eBay messaging so there's proof if I have to fight it.
Old 13 November 2017, 12:10 AM   #297
rolex75216
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately, these things do happen. Hope everything turn out okay for you.
Old 13 November 2017, 04:21 AM   #298
marnii
"TRF" Member

good result favors good people.
marnii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 07:51 AM   #299
amg55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
I have to say, you're one of the very lucky few to have PP ruled in your favour. Thank your lucky stars and take a deep, deep sigh of relief :)
amg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 06:11 AM   #300
tuffness9999
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710blro
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post

You seem to not understand how selling on EBay and similar sites work.

If you never sell via PayPal, then good luck on being a successful online vendor.

A huge portion of buyers use PayPal BECAUSE of the added security. We want to know that we have some recourse in case the item we purchase is not as advertised.

Of course this leaves a lot of room for scammers and those looking to abuse the system, but any business man will tell you "there is a cost to doing business". That is, you should expect loses through theft, shipping issues, scams, etc...

A seller with an already established reputation might get a way with limiting PayPal purchases, but there is no way you could do that as a newbie.

No one will buy from you if you only have a few positive references and only accept wire transfer. That's just plain stupid. There are many many sellers out there that will accept PayPal and thus give that added security to buyers

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
tuffness9999 is offline   Reply With Quote