The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Do you prefer traditional documents with your purchase?
Yes - I'm all about having the papers / cards etc. 16 76.19%
No - I don't mind and actually like the additional info now offered 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 October 2020, 10:44 AM   #1
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Will you miss the traditional accessories?

Well, I called some local AD's and found out the new "warranty" credit card style item is effective in the US and Canada. This is the one that has some sort of QR code on it, tied to Blockchain that gives all of the information on the piece you would never normally get or would have in paper form.

If the Breitling boutique in Toronto was correct he basically said all you get now is the watch, the box, and this new card. I'm assuming it also still includes an instruction booklet and other things depending on geographic region. He did confirm though you'll no longer get an actual COSC certificate. Albeit lacking compared to the much more detailed versions issues upon request years ago it's still sad to me as a collector.

Luckily for me I've got the aforementioned items to remember the era with.

The next images are from the Breitling website, but it doesn't show what else is given with a new purchase.

I'm interested to hear what some other Breitling owners and future buyers think of this. Will you miss the traditional "papers" or even warranty card(s)? Also feel free to post any pictures of either the discontinued items or the ones currently being issues.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 01:19 PM   #2
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

I’ve got 4 Breitlings and I don’t mind if there is less in the box. My concern is that eventually the boxes will be replaced with some sort of environmentally friendly packaging. You will still have the option for the traditional box which I hope they don’t get rid of. All of those papers just sit in the boxes in a closet anyway so I’m fine with fewer papers.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 01:42 PM   #3
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

I know what you mean there and as my collection grows it becomes easier to understand that perspective.

I kind of wish they had a wooden box for the watches like what other brands currently do, something that stands the test of time. The older boxes really fall apart as they years go by.

The box from the e-Warranty card era was a bit smaller than the older ones, basically a travel roll that goes into an area a few mm's larger.

Image from Google

It does make sense for a collector to have packaging that takes up less room or that works better for travelers / pilots.
Old 23 October 2020, 01:51 AM   #4
WatchFred
"TRF" Member

"traditional" boxes will still be available - the "sustainable packaging" concept will be announced during the next "Webcast Summit", October 28th.

note that Europe goes back to standard time on October 25th, while the US ist still on Daylight Saving Time, so that's 9AM New York

The "Blockchain Wallet" offers much more than online COSC certificates, user manuals, or service history, above all it is a "Digital Passport", a certificate of ownership & authenticity (based on the Ethereum blockchain technology, providing the highest security standards) that can't be faked, copied, or stolen - a truly relevant step.

Thieves, robbers, and fakers will hate it, only you can transfer ownership to a buyer, in a secure, easy transaction.

From early 2021 onwards this will, btw., be extended to many previously sold Breitling watches (precise details will follow).
WatchFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 02:56 AM   #5
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
I know what you mean there and as my collection grows it becomes easier to understand that perspective.

I kind of wish they had a wooden box for the watches like what other brands currently do, something that stands the test of time. The older boxes really fall apart as they years go by.

The box from the e-Warranty card era was a bit smaller than the older ones, basically a travel roll that goes into an area a few mm's larger.

Image from Google

It does make sense for a collector to have packaging that takes up less room or that works better for travelers / pilots.
The travel case in the picture you posted seems a lot nicer than the previous version that was included in the black bakelite boxes.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 06:51 AM   #6
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchFred View Post
"traditional" boxes will still be available - the "sustainable packaging" concept will be announced during the next "Webcast Summit", October 28th.

note that Europe goes back to standard time on October 25th, while the US ist still on Daylight Saving Time, so that's 9AM New York

The "Blockchain Wallet" offers much more than online COSC certificates, user manuals, or service history, above all it is a "Digital Passport", a certificate of ownership & authenticity (based on the Ethereum blockchain technology, providing the highest security standards) that can't be faked, copied, or stolen - a truly relevant step.

Thieves, robbers, and fakers will hate it, only you can transfer ownership to a buyer, in a secure, easy transaction.

From early 2021 onwards this will, btw., be extended to many previously sold Breitling watches (precise details will follow).

Thanks for that excellent information! The more I learn about this the more it starts growing on me. As someone who collects watches (mostly preowned) this is great news. I guess each brand is different and there will always be some brands who do the more traditional packaging in fine wood, etc.

It's interesting because earlier today I called Breitling Canada, provided my serial number and within a few moments the lady was able to tell me the service history. My recently acquired Chrono SuperOcean was serviced in 2014 and 2018, and this explains why I feels so smooth and is keeping such good time currently. Other competing brands would never be so willing to provide these details and this too made me appreciate the new way more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson3097 View Post
The travel case in the picture you posted seems a lot nicer than the previous version that was included in the black bakelite boxes.
It really is and I think I'll be getting one from eBay. I've seen some of the older ones (similar to the boxes) fall apart with the material coming off. Doesn't seem like it'll be an issue with that new interior.