The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 March 2017, 09:55 PM   #31
Wrist Watcher
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
The feedback continues to pour in for the SD4K! Haha. Of course today I'm wearing a dress shirt that my Sub barely slides under, so I know the SK4K wouldn't. Having said that, I could always roll up my sleeves or just wear the BLNR with certain shirts once I get it. Okay, I'm going to make the trade and hope I don't regret it!!
Wrist Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 09:59 PM   #32
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Easy enough to get another Sub if you change your mind. Perhaps not so for the SD4k in the future.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 10:19 PM   #33
Wrist Watcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Easy enough to get another Sub if you change your mind. Perhaps not so for the SD4k in the future.

That's what I'm thinking and is comforting to know. If I regret it, then flip back to the sub and maybe even try the no date 114060.

Also, I especially appreciate and value the feedback in this thread from guys who have owned both or who still own both. So thanks again!
Old 23 March 2017, 10:33 PM   #34
Xerxes77
Banned

Keep the Sub
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 10:36 PM   #35
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
Yep....go for it! They aren't going to be making anymore SD's anymore!
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 10:38 PM   #36
HoustonRoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 116600
Subs are everywhere. SD's are not.
HoustonRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 10:40 PM   #37
CK9366
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712G & 5205G
For black ceramic dial, I prefer SD4k than SubC!
CK9366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 10:41 PM   #38
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
SD! SD! SD!

Paired with the BLNR is a perfect 2 watch combo.
Old 23 March 2017, 10:43 PM   #39
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I wouldn't, but only because I love my Sub C Date so much. SD4K is a very nice watch
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 10:46 PM   #40
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Do it. Those two make a great duo.
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 10:47 PM   #41
Wrist Watcher
2024 Pledge Member

Okay, I'm convinced! Any of you guys with both the SD and BLNR please feel free to post a few pictures! : )
Old 24 March 2017, 11:20 AM   #42
Tj O'Reily
"TRF" Member

Not a great pic but my only one with them together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tj O'Reily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 11:24 AM   #43
LitzDoc
"TRF" Member

Get it now and try it for a time. If you don't like it you can sell it , likely not lose any money and buy another Submariner. They are not making the SD4K any more.
LitzDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 11:27 AM   #44
LitzDoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTC View Post
The feedback continues to pour in for the SD4K! Haha. Of course today I'm wearing a dress shirt that my Sub barely slides under, so I know the SK4K wouldn't. Having said that, I could always roll up my sleeves or just wear the BLNR with certain shirts once I get it. Okay, I'm going to make the trade and hope I don't regret it!!
Have a tailor move the cuff button on your left sleeve. I do it and it works well. Only costs a few bucks. Also there are some companies that give you the option of a larger cuff on the left sleeve.
Please post pics when you get the SD4K. You will not regret it.
LitzDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 11:30 AM   #45
Wrist Watcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitzDoc View Post
Have a tailor move the cuff button on your left sleeve. I do it and it works well. Only costs a few bucks. Also there are some companies that give you the option of a larger cuff on the left sleeve.

Please post pics when you get the SD4K. You will not regret it.

Good idea. I might look into that. I'll definitely post pics when I get it! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj O'Reily View Post

Not a great pic but my only one with them together.

Looks great! Awesome collection thanks!
Old 24 March 2017, 12:52 PM   #46
BBQ BOY
"TRF" Member

This is what you need.
BBQ BOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 01:17 PM   #47
Danny83
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
I would trade that you can always ad a Sub
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 01:20 PM   #48
presario
"TRF" Member

They make a great pair!
Old 24 March 2017, 01:29 PM   #49
sallyhats
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM111, BLNR
So I have the BLNR and looking to expand. I was originally thinking LV, but now that I see the 4k next to the BLNR I'm kind of liking it. LV or 4k?

GMT II - 116710 BLNR
sallyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 01:04 AM   #50
Wrist Watcher
2024 Pledge Member

Well, she just arrived and looks fantastic! Thanks for all of the input guys! And thanks to @recaro18 ("Ricky") for a great transaction!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (101.8 KB, 136 views)
Old 29 March 2017, 01:07 AM   #51
Wrist Watcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ BOY View Post
This is what you need.
I had that one a few years ago and flipped it! I still love that watch, especially because of the orange GMT, but I think the 42mm size sort of wore slightly too big for me. Who knows though, I might be back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by presario View Post

They make a great pair!
Wow, amazing set! The BLNR looks so good and great with the SD.
Old 29 March 2017, 01:15 AM   #52
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Sorry but I like the Sub more (cyclops fan!)

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 03:21 AM   #53
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Fantastic. Great choice. Next watch could be a hulk to get the sub back in again with a splash of colour....
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 03:59 AM   #54
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

SD4K and BLNR is awesome combination !

Congrats!!

brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 04:01 AM   #55
Wrist Watcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
Fantastic. Great choice. Next watch could be a hulk to get the sub back in again with a splash of colour....
Thanks! That's not a bad idea, and I also love the bluesy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
SD4K and BLNR is awesome combination !

Congrats!!

Thanks, and wow those look great together!!
Old 29 March 2017, 04:18 AM   #56
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Trade my SubC for a SD4K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post

True. I have the Submariner Date 16610. The 116610 impressed me with its enhancements, but the case shape turned me off. I prefer the classic lines of the 16610. When the Sea-Dweller 4K ceramic debuted at Basel, it struck me as my favorite of the then current Rolex dive watches. A terrific blend of classic and contemporary features.

I bought one (I'm wearing it now) in 2014 and it's magnificent. Yes, it's thicker then the Sub, heavier, too...but it's quite comfortable and wears easily. If I've been wearing a lighter weight watch, and then switch to the Sea-Dweller, I'm initially aware of that weight difference. However, after a bit, my wrist quickly becomes accustomed to the Sea-Dweller and the weight difference isn't noticeable or bothersome.

That's the problem with evaluating size, weight, and wearability in a store: You only have the watch on briefly, unsized, and have no time to adjust to its look and feel.

Anyway, the Sea-Dweller 4K may well become scarce and a hot item for collectors...and may appreciate in value (which might eventually cover that $1,500 cost to you). Regardless of that, it's a wonderful watch.

As for your shirt cuff issue...I think you'll find that to be a non-issue. But, if it persists, you'll just have a reason to buy a bespoke shirt. For example, Turnbull and Asser will tailor the cuff to suit your watch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 04:23 AM   #57
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Trade my SubC for a SD4K?

Good luck!
Old 29 March 2017, 04:38 AM   #58
Wrist Watcher
2024 Pledge Member

This is good to hear and confirms what I'm already experiencing. First, it wears very well to be thicker and heavier than the Sub. Having said that, wearing it in the store for a few minutes didn't give me a true feeling for how it would wear over a long period of time. When I first put it on today, it definitely felt heavier than what I'm used to ... and it still does as of this afternoon. However, I had nothing on my wrist for the past two days waiting for this one, so that has something to do with it as well. Also, again, it's still comfortable and actually fits perfectly under today's dress shirt.

I became a one watch guy for the most part once I got my SubC, as months later I sold my Explorer II and have since then gone through a few others including an Omega AT. The SubC was the only that survived until now, and the reason I let it go is because I'm thinking the SD will be more of a change of pace from my upcoming BLNR. What I'm really interested in seeing is which one gets the wrist time when I have them both, and if one happens to get worn 90% of the time then I may go back to one watch again. Anyway, it's a good and fun problem to have haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Archer View Post
True. I have the Submariner Date 16610. The 116610 impressed me with its enhancements, but the case shape turned me off. I prefer the classic lines of the 16610. When the Sea-Dweller 4K ceramic debuted at Basel, it struck me as my favorite of the then current Rolex dive watches. A terrific blend of classic and contemporary features.

I bought one (I'm wearing it now) in 2014 and it's magnificent. Yes, it's thicker then the Sub, heavier, too...but it's quite comfortable and wears easily. If I've been wearing a lighter weight watch, and then switch to the Sea-Dweller, I'm initially aware of that weight difference. However, after a bit, my wrist quickly becomes accustomed to the Sea-Dweller and the weight difference isn't noticeable or bothersome.

That's the problem with evaluating size, weight, and wearability in a store: You only have the watch on briefly, unsized, and have no time to adjust to its look and feel.

Anyway, the Sea-Dweller 4K may well become scarce and a hot item for collectors...and may appreciate in value (which might eventually cover that $1,500 cost to you). Regardless of that, it's a wonderful watch.

As for your shirt cuff issue...I think you'll find that to be a non-issue. But, if it persists, you'll just have a reason to buy a bespoke shirt. For example, Turnbull and Asser will tailor the cuff to suit your watch!

Old 29 March 2017, 04:47 AM   #59
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTC View Post
This is good to hear and confirms what I'm already experiencing. First, it wears very well to be thicker and heavier than the Sub. Having said that, wearing it in the store for a few minutes didn't give me a true feeling for how it would wear over a long period of time. When I first put it on today, it definitely felt heavier than what I'm used to ... and it still does as of this afternoon. However, I had nothing on my wrist for the past two days waiting for this one, so that has something to do with it as well. Also, again, it's still comfortable and actually fits perfectly under today's dress shirt.

I became a one watch guy for the most part once I got my SubC, as months later I sold my Explorer II and have since then gone through a few others including an Omega AT. The SubC was the only that survived until now, and the reason I let it go is because I'm thinking the SD will be more of a change of pace from my upcoming BLNR. What I'm really interested in seeing is which one gets the wrist time when I have them both, and if one happens to get worn 90% of the time then I may go back to one watch again. Anyway, it's a good and fun problem to have haha.

Indeed. First world problems, as they say.

My first Rolex was a GMT Master II, the one with the red and black bezel. I often think that if I had to settle on just one watch, that would be the one. Damn wearable and useful, particularly when traveling.

You've got a great pair of watches, with plenty to distinguish them from each other, at least from an enthusiast's point of view. Most people, looking at both, would see two very similar watches and if they even noticed a difference, would likely pick up on the bezel color.

To me, and most here, they are totally different, yet share certain elements unique to the Rolex brand.

Enjoy them!

Old 29 March 2017, 04:54 AM   #60
Wrist Watcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Archer View Post
Indeed. First world problems, as they say.

My first Rolex was a GMT Master II, the one with the red and black bezel. I often think that if I had to settle on just one watch, that would be the one. Damn wearable and useful, particularly when traveling.

You've got a great pair of watches, with plenty to distinguish them from each other, at least from an enthusiast's point of view. Most people, looking at both, would see two very similar watches and if they even noticed a difference, would likely pick up on the bezel color.

To me, and most here, they are totally different, yet share certain elements unique to the Rolex brand.

Enjoy them!

Very true in that most people would never notice the difference, which I like and which makes me consider not mentioning the second to my wife until she actually, if ever, notices.