The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Rolex is dead today ?
Yes 94 17.47%
No 444 82.53%
Voters: 538. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 March 2017, 10:37 PM   #91
Xerxes77
Banned

Nooooo
Rolex want to put things in order dor the market demands!
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 10:39 PM   #92
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopome View Post
Rolex seams to make marketing experiments on non major league Sports watches...
And goes with 'leadfoot' on the 3 cornerstones: Daytona, Submariner and GMT.....

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk Pro
The six digit GMT and Sub were also a major departure from the prior several generations. That's what's cracking me up about the SeaDweller complaints. This ball started rolling a decade ago.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 10:56 PM   #93
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
They would be dead if they just kept cranking out the same old stuff...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 130311b_complacent.jpg (162.3 KB, 170 views)
Old 23 March 2017, 11:11 PM   #94
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
I've been resisting, until now, comment on this thread. You, OP, think Rolex, named one of the best brands in 2016, is dead because YOU didn't like any of the 6 new or updated models at one year's Basel? Is Apple dead because they just lowered the price of the iPad and came out with a red phone when you wanted a green (insert your color choice) one?

Let me ask you, what would Rolex needed to have done to make you post a poll "Is Rolex alive and well and thriving"? I think you were going to hate Basel 2017 regardless. 5 digits are great and the represent the history of Rolex, not the future. Evolve or become extinct.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 11:59 PM   #95
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
No.
Old 24 March 2017, 12:27 AM   #96
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
I wish I could agree. Those that have problems with the new SeaDweller finally know how many of us have felt about the SubC for years at this point.
I actually like the thicker lugs on a dive watch because it can have great look over the life of the watch if you get it polished over time etc from real work use. It may not have been Rolex's intent, but I find them functional in that respect of making the watch case last

I can certainly understand how some wouldn't like it though. My philosophy is to own both new and old and enjoy. But I do love Subs. The new SD I could perhaps get used to in the flesh. I just think it would've been a home run at 41.5-42mm, sans cyclops, and about 1500-2000 USD less expensive.

Do you think they needed to add a cyclops on it at 43mm so that the date wheel was not so awkwardly out of place at the larger size?

I'm fan of the 3235, so IMO that's a win to see it in a professional model
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 12:53 AM   #97
Karbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dayto/5164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
I've been resisting, until now, comment on this thread. You, OP, think Rolex, named one of the best brands in 2016, is dead because YOU didn't like any of the 6 new or updated models at one year's Basel? Is Apple dead because they just lowered the price of the iPad and came out with a red phone when you wanted a green (insert your color choice) one?

Let me ask you, what would Rolex needed to have done to make you post a poll "Is Rolex alive and well and thriving"? I think you were going to hate Basel 2017 regardless. 5 digits are great and the represent the history of Rolex, not the future. Evolve or become extinct.
The only evolution I reckon is : blingy, shiny and bigger. Nothing disruptive, nothing adventurous, nothing creative.
Old 24 March 2017, 12:54 AM   #98
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karbo View Post
The only evolution I reckon is : blingy, shiny and bigger. Nothing disruptive, nothing adventurous, nothing creative.
OK... so I'll ask again? What could Rolex have done to make you not think it's dead?
Old 24 March 2017, 01:04 AM   #99
Karbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dayto/5164
Its tuff to tell, and its not my job. I can see you behind a tree ready to pull the trigger waiting for my answer lol... anyway maybe something connected ?
Old 24 March 2017, 01:52 AM   #100
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Its tuff to tell, and its not my job. I can see you behind a tree ready to pull the trigger waiting for my answer lol... anyway maybe something connected ?
Not hiding waiting to pounce at all. I'm genuinely curious your opinion of what they should have done to make you not think they are dead. Based on your poll others agree with you. I'm not going to advocate for them in the sense that I"m not all that blown away by their releases. But every time I've put on a SkyD I've said to the AD I wish it was in SS... now it is. I love the SD4K, though when I initially tried it I thought it should have a larger diameter based on it's thickness. Now it does. The YMII and DJ, 2017 or not, don't do much for me.

Personally I'd have been very happy with some green on the SD. But the improved movement in it is a great development (it's the inside that really counts after all). I never expected a SS SkyD. DJ's, DD's, YM's, Daytona's, Explorer, etc. have all had major changes and improvements over the past few Basel's. They don't want to be Omega changing their watches, even slightly, every year.
Old 24 March 2017, 02:28 AM   #101
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Not quite, but I voted Yes because it's getting there for me. What Rolex have implied - the DD2/DJ2, DSSD and wonky endlink fitment on the SD4K were all a mistake, 36mm was infact too big for a ladies watch and that they weren't shifting enough Skydwellers (reminiscent of sticking a special blue dial into the left over DSSDs). It looks bad for a prestigious brand to have all these recent mistakes and short lived models/discontinuations.
Fix the maxi lugs, reinstate the SD4K alongside the new monster complete with aesthetically acceptable endlink fitment and I'd be happier with Rolex's direction. Currently it's a balls up with all these half-baked models in the mix. So sooner the better.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 02:53 AM   #102
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Still, 20% of voters here in Rolexforums, the Rolex fan place. That means something.
Not really, this forum represents a minute slice of the Rolex world of consumers/potential consumers. The fact only 20% of this tiny slice feels its dead is even more insignificant to Rolex. Its bug dust. They are professional business people and undestand their markets. The six digit sub is here to stay, the lugs are what the market demands, requires, and is what the overwhelming majority wants. The fact you like the charm of soon to be vintage five digit versions is cool. I get it. But to think these things are "mistakes" because they dont suit your minority personal preference is a bit of an exageration. A mistake to you and many others that frequent this forum, I respect the view, but its a minority view at that in the world outside these forums. The real world where Rolex does business.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 02:58 AM   #103
chris975d
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
Not really, this forum represents a minute slice of the Rolex world of consumers/potential consumers. The fact only 20% of this tiny slice feels its dead is even more insignificant to Rolex. Its bug dust. They are professional business people and undestand their markets. The six digit sub is here to stay, the lugs are what the market demands, requires, and is what the overwhelming majority wants. The fact you like the charm of soon to be vintage five digit versions is cool. I get it. But to think these things are "mistakes" because they dont suit your minority personal preference is a bit of an exageration. A mistake to you and many others that frequent this forum, I respect the view, but its a minority view at that in the world outside these forums. The real world where Rolex does business.

Great post!! People on forums (for any hobby) lose sight that they almost always are the vast minority of the buyers in said hobby. And their tastes are usually not representative of the much larger buying population as a whole. Talk to ADs since yesterday. The calls/demand for the larger diver is pretty darn huge. Several around me are saying they are seeing the decade same demand for the new SeaDweller as they saw for the Daytona last year.
chris975d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 03:26 AM   #104
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
I actually like the thicker lugs on a dive watch because it can have great look over the life of the watch if you get it polished over time etc from real work use. It may not have been Rolex's intent, but I find them functional in that respect of making the watch case last
Well, that's certainly an interesting point I'm not sure I've, uh, heard before...
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 03:47 AM   #105
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
My thoughts exactly. Rolex is alive and well and thriving. A business needs to change and grow constantly and unfortunately that ravels the feathers of purist fans in this case. I am Rolex fan and would prefer they do some things differently but also understand what they are doing. At the end of the day, its just watch.
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 03:53 AM   #106
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I'm sorry. But I think Rolex is better than ever. Dare I say, those who say 5digits are the best, came into Rolex at a time when 5digits were supreme. For me though (and I'd bet a lot of the under 40 crowd) 6 digits take the cake. Oh and btw my ad who was at Basel said the skyD is the business in blue...just sayin.
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 04:08 AM   #107
behardt
"TRF" Member

I was a fan through the 5 digit years and I think they build better watches now and CERTAINLY have more variety.
Old 24 March 2017, 04:55 AM   #108
glg
"TRF" Member

Not even close , rolex writes the history from zero

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
glg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 05:18 AM   #109
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Rolex is far from dead today. The question and challenge is where will they and their products be with whomever the buying public are 20-30-40-50+ years from now.
kneedeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 05:39 AM   #110
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

My favourite this year is....Grand Seiko. They will never seriously challenge Rolex sales numbers, but in terms of quality and sheer class it is another story..
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 05:43 AM   #111
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Rolex survives because it is not trendy or uses space age technology that is not proven over time.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 08:28 AM   #112
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Well, that's certainly an interesting point I'm not sure I've, uh, heard before...
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 08:47 AM   #113
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

It all depends on your perspective. Rolex is dead if you are looking at it from the lens of a tool watchmaker. It has become a jewelry company. But if you look at Rolex as a maker of jewelry or high end accessories, it's far from dead.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 12:05 PM   #114
wuyeah
"TRF" Member

This thread reminds me of Grand Seiko's thread discussion over at Watchuseek Forum.
wuyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 12:38 PM   #115
Exploradori
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270, 1803
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinner View Post
My favourite this year is....Grand Seiko. They will never seriously challenge Rolex sales numbers, but in terms of quality and sheer class it is another story..

Agree completely
Exploradori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 02:18 PM   #116
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
Where's the option for "what in the hell are you talking about?" That's my selection. On a serious note, I'll take a six digit over a five every single time if forced to choose.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 02:26 PM   #117
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by yessir69 View Post
It all depends on your perspective. Rolex is dead if you are looking at it from the lens of a tool watchmaker. It has become a jewelry company. But if you look at Rolex as a maker of jewelry or high end accessories, it's far from dead.
I respecfully disagree. Still a tool. They're just expensive tools.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 04:36 PM   #118
Saturninus
"TRF" Member

I think Omega beat Rolex this round, but Rolex is still the champ
Saturninus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 05:00 PM   #119
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Rolex is in the business of selling as many watches as possible and in order to do so, it has to offer as wide a range of choices as it can. This is why it produces solid gold Submariners, gold and diamond-studded GMTs, platinum Presidents, gold and platinum Daytonas and so on.

If Rolex only made steel sports watches, it may not have become as successful as it is today.

Personally, I would like to see full gold and TT versions of the Explorer, Explorer 2 and Sea-Dweller released some day. After all, these are already available for the YM, YM2, GMT and Submariner.

It's all about offering customers the widest choices possible.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 05:33 PM   #120
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singslinger View Post
Rolex is in the business of selling as many watches as possible and in order to do so, it has to offer as wide a range of choices as it can. This is why it produces solid gold Submariners, gold and diamond-studded GMTs, platinum Presidents, gold and platinum Daytonas and so on.

If Rolex only made steel sports watches, it may not have become as successful as it is today.

Personally, I would like to see full gold and TT versions of the Explorer, Explorer 2 and Sea-Dweller released some day. After all, these are already available for the YM, YM2, GMT and Submariner.

It's all about offering customers the widest choices possible.

But I think that's what most people's gripe is, the range isn't varied enough! They are not saying there are loads of new models flooding the market.

I think the consensus for those people is that they feel Rolex are re-hashing the same existing models and not really introducing new exciting pieces.

This isn't my view, I think there is always something in the range that I'd like to get.

Right now I'd like to either get a NOS SS Daytona (white face) or/and a yacht master 2 in rose gold with the flex bracelet.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote