The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 November 2016, 04:24 AM   #1
toothpaste
"TRF" Member

Why is it important or desirable for a watch to be unpolished?

I'm new to expensive or more expensive watches.

In the for sale section, there seems to be a lot of emphasis on watches which are "unpolished".

Could someone explain why this is desirable?

Thanks. :)
toothpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2016, 04:30 AM   #2
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
Polishing removes layers of material each time it is done. Overpolishing removes original finish and (especially with vintage)wears down those beautiful chamfers. KNowing a piece is unpolished will attest to it's overall care, and preserves the important feature notes of those rare and vintage references.

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2016, 04:31 AM   #3
billyrayuk
"TRF" Member

An overpolished watch can lose its sharpness and shape. It can also hide just how much a watch has been abused in its lifetime.

For those 2 reasons I'd rather buy a watch with some marks on it consistent with its age than one that looks brand new.
billyrayuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2016, 04:32 AM   #4
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
One bad polish destroys the lines of the case, and they can't really be "fixed" - even laser welding has its limitations. Unfortunately, it can be hard to tell how sharp the case is based on pictures (even good ones). I just choose to steer clear.

With all that said, it's a preference, not a law of nature. You need to figure out if it matters to you.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2016, 04:35 AM   #5
Meme-Dweller
Banned

Watch: Meme-Dweller
I had a mint condition Speedmaster that had scratches on the bracelet but none on the case. I sent it to the Omega Service Center in Seattle via the boutique and it came back polished to hell. The crown guard was 1mm thinner and the top of the lugs had a sharper turn downward than the bottom. It was the first time it was polished too.

Essentially, polishing the watch morphs it into something else. It didn't look new any more-- it looked butchered.
Meme-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2016, 04:36 AM   #6
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
The question begs to ask, how do you really know that a watch is "unpolished"?
When a case and bracelet are "re-finished" by someone who is proficient, mere microns are removed, and not visible to the eye. Now someone heavy handed on the polish wheel can definitely ruin a watch.
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2016, 04:45 AM   #7
JP Chestnut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublover2166 View Post
When a case and bracelet are "re-finished" by someone who is proficient, mere microns are removed, and not visible to the eye. Now someone heavy handed on the polish wheel can definitely ruin a watch.
There are very few people/places who can do that proficient of a job - LA Watchworks being one. I've never seen anything pass through a RSC and look that good on the other end. I'd be fine with a watch that was impossible to tell.

You bring up a good point. As consumers have begun to demand "unpolished" watches with more frequency, I'm seeing increasing numbers of "unpolished" watches which are obviously being misrepresented.
Old 16 November 2016, 04:58 AM   #8
Gold Crown
Banned

Watch: 6265 18K Daytona
I would think this applies to gold more than Stainless.
Gold Crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2016, 05:05 AM   #9
rollee1
"TRF" Member

Watch: it watching me
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6R15 View Post
I had a mint condition Speedmaster that had scratches on the bracelet but none on the case. I sent it to the Omega Service Center in Seattle via the boutique and it came back polished to hell. The crown guard was 1mm thinner and the top of the lugs had a sharper turn downward than the bottom. It was the first time it was polished too.

Essentially, polishing the watch morphs it into something else. It didn't look new any more-- it looked butchered.
Exactly I feel your pain

I'd rather see blemishes than over polishing, and because the polishing job is a finesse craft, it's better to avoid than to risk.
Old 16 November 2016, 07:16 AM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by toothpaste View Post
I'm new to expensive or more expensive watches.

In the for sale section, there seems to be a lot of emphasis on watches which are "unpolished".

Could someone explain why this is desirable?

Thanks. :)
It's not.. This is something that has cropped up over the past year. Sellers feel that they can get more on the sale, and others are convinced that this makes their watch more "original".

The truth is that a properly refinished watch probably can't be differentiated from new and will sell like hotcakes before one that is more beat-up. Likely too, many well refinished examples are marketed as "mint, unpolished", and you simply cannot tell.

The critique about "polished", or improperly refinished (polished means to make it shiny) cases is when a butcher gets hold of it and changes the contours. Definitely not something you want.
Old 16 November 2016, 07:18 AM   #11
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
What he said.
Old 16 November 2016, 07:30 AM   #12
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Because the majority of people that refinishes watches, worldwide, they don't know their job.
PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2016, 07:45 AM   #13
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Many good answers...for me it's kind of like a bad haircut...except the metal ain't growing back.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2016, 09:34 AM   #14
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
I feel like 90% of polish jobs could be better. Even rolex service center has sent back unsatisfactory examples. From all the reading I have done on this forum it sounds like LA watchworks is one of the few companies that can be trusted.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2016, 09:50 AM   #15
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Pictures and reading tell nothing! You can"t feel the sharpness or lack of same on the edges and light can be manipulated. This whole subject has been done to death and has become an internet induced psychosis.

noun: psychosis;
a severe mental disorder in which thought and emotions are so impaired that contact is lost with external reality.
cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2016, 10:15 AM   #16
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6R15 View Post

One millimeter polished off that's the thickness of a dime, a paper clip or credit card. Seems unlikely unless it was polished with a stone grinding wheel. More likely an illusion of lighting .
Old 16 November 2016, 11:42 AM   #17
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
Unpolished is a way of saying original condition of the case.

With all antiques and collectibles, originality is paramount.

A 1952 Ferrari with a faded, chipped original paint job will always be worth more than a shiny, freshly painted one.
Why? Because it's only original once.

After somebody messes with it it will never be original again, no matter how good of a job they do.

Originality translates to correct. A repainted car or polished watch will never be quite right, although some are closer than others.
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2016, 11:53 AM   #18
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
it's more of a "ruling out" than anything else IMO. In other words, if a 20 year old watch was polished once, properly and professionally I would have no problem buying it. Unfortunately many watches have been polished by someone unqualified, over polished too many times and sometimes even ruined. By saying a watch is "unpolished" it simply rules out any potential issue with the condition of the watch.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2016, 11:54 AM   #19
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
I feel like 90% of polish jobs could be better. Even rolex service center has sent back unsatisfactory examples. From all the reading I have done on this forum it sounds like LA watchworks is one of the few companies that can be trusted.
You mean ABC watchwerks?

LA watchwerks has only been a round for a time.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2016, 11:59 AM   #20
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordofrolex View Post
You mean ABC watchwerks?

LA watchwerks has only been a round for a time.
Yes sorry. I have read the discussion about the two companies. I think people recommend both ABC and LA watchwerks equally?

Sent by my pet Gekko
Old 16 November 2016, 12:04 PM   #21
JP Chestnut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
Yes sorry. I have read the discussion about the two companies. I think people recommend both ABC and LA watchwerks equally?

Sent by my pet Gekko
It depends who you ask. I have friends who won't use ABC after the split.
Old 16 November 2016, 12:04 PM   #22
melrob1
"TRF" Member

Polished or refinished never seems to give the new Rolex look especially on brished parts.
melrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2016, 12:11 PM   #23
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
It's not.. This is something that has cropped up over the past year. Sellers feel that they can get more on the sale, and others are convinced that this makes their watch more "original".

The truth is that a properly refinished watch probably can't be differentiated from new and will sell like hotcakes before one that is more beat-up. Likely too, many well refinished examples are marketed as "mint, unpolished", and you simply cannot tell.

The critique about "polished", or improperly refinished (polished means to make it shiny) cases is when a butcher gets hold of it and changes the contours. Definitely not something you want.

100% agree Larry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 November 2016, 12:11 PM   #24
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
This mainly pertains to people who frequent watch forums and vintage pieces. Modern pieces will sell (to ordinary people) much quicker and for more money if they have been polished.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2016, 04:46 PM   #25
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donq View Post
Unpolished is a way of saying original condition of the case.

With all antiques and collectibles, originality is paramount.

A 1952 Ferrari with a faded, chipped original paint job will always be worth more than a shiny, freshly painted one.
Why? Because it's only original once.

After somebody messes with it it will never be original again, no matter how good of a job they do.

Originality translates to correct. A repainted car or polished watch will never be quite right, although some are closer than others.
You must be looking at different car auctions than I see. Classic cars repainted and restored here get a premium over faded and chipped ones.
Old 16 November 2016, 04:48 PM   #26
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

you don't want it ending up in a butcher's hand, a hack of some kind...
Tbonewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2016, 04:59 PM   #27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstore View Post
You must be looking at different car auctions than I see. Classic cars repainted and restored here get a premium over faded and chipped ones.

On a 55 bel air maybe. On a 57 Ferrari 250tr or a 62 Ferrari 250gto or something like a jag d type, preservation over restoration will make a difference into the millions of dollars range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
830.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2016, 05:12 PM   #28
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Used watches whether Rolex brand or not will be found in various states of wear.

If it is a much wanted model a potential buyer may prefer it original and untouched.

I don't think there is a firm rule for this as it depends on the buyer.

There are some models that command a premium when offered untouched and with other models it is of no concern.

Only time will tell with some. NPI.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2016, 06:47 PM   #29
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublover2166 View Post
Have to agree far to much fixation about polishing today as long as its done only at normal routine service time only by the RSC, or one of the authorised independents should not be any problem.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2016, 10:55 PM   #30
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Doesn't Rolex themselves do a case polish as part of their final production/prep process? If a brand new case was found to have a scratch or mark from machining, would Rolex simply throw it in the trash bin, or would they polish it prior to casing the movement along with the final prep prior to sale?

As others have said, the whole "unpolished" pitch is very overhyped. It's not about a watch being polished (I would propose that most if not all receive a polish before leaving the Rolex assembly line), it's about a bad vs good polish.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote