The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 March 2017, 09:32 AM   #31
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
Looks like Rolex has again done with the marketing of the watch by calling it 43mm and I believe this watch does not wear like 43mm at all. More like 41.5 to 42mm.

This is the screenshot of Ariel Adams from ABTW and he has wrist size of 6.70 and this one appears to wear even smaller than the Explorer II 216270(screenshot from his reviews). If it looks that good on that smaller wrist, it will look great with anyone over 7 inch wrist!!

Note: Explorer II is sized to his wrist whereas SD43 is not. Still it gives an idea!
If you really want to know email ariel and he will respond.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 09:33 AM   #32
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johneh View Post
The angles on the pictures aren't even close to the same, this comparison doesn't mean much.
shameful post by OP. the picture is CLEARLY taken from 2 different distances.

cameras nearly kissing the explorer!!!
speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 09:37 AM   #33
TimeOnHand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Air-King
I love the new SD... looking forward to trying one on later this year!
Old 24 March 2017, 09:39 AM   #34
Xerxes77
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
There's an interesting comparison photo of the new RSD and the original. Looks like they superimposed the new overtop of the old for a comparative.

https://www.rolexforums.com/images/s...ad_dot_new.gif

This may help to illustrate size compared to the original
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 09:49 AM   #35
johnnyjazz
"TRF" Member

I think when it is available we will be getting a HUGE amount of "do you think this looks big on me" posts and the answer 90% of the time will be yes. Compared to the seadweller it is a monster in every way including the bigger bracelet width but there will always be those who will try to persuade themselves that it looks great on them.
johnnyjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 09:54 AM   #36
Gunbucker
"TRF" Member

Initially quite shocked, but decided I will reserve judgement until I try it on the wrist myself.
Gunbucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 09:55 AM   #37
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjazz View Post
I think when it is available we will be getting a HUGE amount of "do you think this looks big on me" posts and the answer 90% of the time will be yes. Compared to the seadweller it is a monster in every way including the bigger bracelet width but there will always be those who will try to persuade themselves that it looks great on them.

some people have bigger wrists than others....so yes...it may very well look amazing.....

if your in the 40mm crowd thats fine. i won't say your watch looks too small because it probably doesn't.

i have 7.5" wrists and wear 40-45mm watches....each watch provides me with a different look, feel etc....there is no one size fits all and many such as myself can pull off all sizes 40-45mm

those with 6" wrists? they are more limited
Old 24 March 2017, 10:09 AM   #38
johnnyjazz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster73 View Post

some people have bigger wrists than others....so yes...it may very well look amazing.....

if your in the 40mm crowd thats fine. i won't say your watch looks too small because it probably doesn't.

i have 7.5" wrists and wear 40-45mm watches....each watch provides me with a different look, feel etc....there is no one size fits all and many such as myself can pull off all sizes 40-45mm

Well said. By the way i have no idea what crowd i am in.
johnnyjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 10:33 AM   #39
emersm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:

Every time I read one of your posts I chuckle..... I love your avatar!
emersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 10:37 AM   #40
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Exactly right..

Besides, the hand covers much of the wrist on the Exp II shot, when taken into account is complete opposite from what the OP seems to be stating..

The SD looks like it covers a whole lot more wrist to me.
Bingo. This is not a good comparison for size's sake.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 10:51 AM   #41
sknicks
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68L View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts on how difficult buying one will be?
I'm hoping we don't see another Daytona C repeat here.
I thought about it most of the day yesterday (3-22) then called my AD and I was first to call and put my name on the list... thought by then i would be 2nd or 3rd.
sknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 11:24 AM   #42
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by johneh View Post
The angles on the pictures aren't even close to the same, this comparison doesn't mean much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Exactly right..

Besides, the hand covers much of the wrist on the Exp II shot, when taken into account is complete opposite from what the OP seems to be stating..

The SD looks like it covers a whole lot more wrist to me.
I have seen the whole video and also I think its known by now that 216570 is really big for 6.70 inches and he says in the that 216570 wears like a 44mm for him.

Similarly.. for someone with small wrist even if SD43 is appearing alright means.. anyone around 7 to 7.5 inch wrist.. it will be perfect fit. Thats my only point. It is not going to be like DeepSea Blue!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 11:28 AM   #43
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have seen the whole video and also I think its known by now that 216570 is really big for 6.70 inches and he says in the that 216570 wears like a 44mm for him.

Similarly.. for someone with small wrist even if SD43 is appearing alright means.. anyone around 7 to 7.5 inch wrist.. it will be perfect fit. Thats my only point. It is not going to be like DeepSea Blue!
Well, that's because you think it looks alright on him. I think it looks silly, and I don't think he should wear anything over 39-40mm, max. It would probably take an 8"+ wrist for the new SeaDweller to look good, to me.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 11:31 AM   #44
Maxy
"TRF" Member

New pictures from different timings from the video. Unable to edit the 1st post, adding here!

Old 24 March 2017, 11:33 AM   #45
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:
New pictures from different timings from the video. Unable to edit the 1st post, adding here!

still lousy. the explorer is much more closeup making it look bigger and the sd is further away making it look smaller
Old 24 March 2017, 11:37 AM   #46
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
still lousy. the explorer is much more closeup making it look bigger and the sd is further away making it look smaller
I don't know what you smoking(in that smiley pic) but am not saying to compare the camera angle to the watch(to figure out which looks bigger) but the watch to the wrist. That's relative and it won't change from far or close camera angle. If the watch is looking too big on the wrist.. it will still appear that from even little far video.
Old 24 March 2017, 11:37 AM   #47
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:
I don't know what you smoking(in that smiley pic) but am not saying to compare the camera angle to the watch(to figure out which looks bigger) but the watch to the wrist. That's relative and it won't change from far or close. If the watch is looking too big on the wrist.. it will still appear that from even little far video.
if you say so!
Old 24 March 2017, 11:54 AM   #48
Smarties
"TRF" Member

i hope to see someone put it side by side with Explorer II, or Pelago so that we can see how it compares with other 42mm watches.
Smarties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 12:04 PM   #49
lain09
"TRF" Member

Looks great on him and I'm really liking the SD43. The proportions of the lugs, bracelet and the case looks great. Can't wait to try it on myself.
lain09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 12:12 PM   #50
JP(Canada)
"TRF" Member

It's all about dial size. Larger dial on an Explorer 2. Makes it appear bigger.
Old 24 March 2017, 12:12 PM   #51
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
The SD will probably wear smaller because it seems to have the same size dial with a bloated case. The explorer on the other has a bigger dial and appears larger because of that.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 12:16 PM   #52
Bigdaddy38
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116515B
I don't get it.. most people are not going to dive deep enough to worry about the SD, and why would you pay more when you can get a SubC. I guess if it is really bigger, but the SubC bezel > SD bezel IMO... and its less $$$
ALS 1815 Flyback Chrono Rosegold, Daytona 116515B RG/Chocolate, SkyD Blue Dial Jubilee 326934, Sub 122610LV, Explorer II 216570 Polar, Blue Yacht Master 40 126622, Tudor BB Pro, BB925 Silver, Breitling W. Navi A24322 White, Speedy 3861, Tissot PRX 80
Bigdaddy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 12:21 PM   #53
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Looks like a great fit to me.

Still, it's way down on my list of Rolexes I want to get, which means I will likely never get it. :(

If they introduced an SD50th with a color gradient dial (like the D-Blue DSSD), I'll have to bump it up higher on the list.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 01:18 PM   #54
utc66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, PAM112,EZM1
I wonder if the red dial text would fade over time like I've seen on the Planet Ocean seconds hand which faded in one example I saw.
utc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 02:52 PM   #55
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC IW389001
The photos are not conclusive unless they are the same distance and lens. However thanks for giving us a talking point.

For me the fact that the sides are thicker is fine if the caseback was made more flush. But it isn't. This watch is going to ride high. Not as high as a DSSD but high.
jagwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 02:57 PM   #56
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
I hope it is smaller than 43. I'm going to at least try it on because I really like it. If it's not too thick I may consider it

I like the way it looks though, definitely cool (IMO)
Bigsykedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 03:14 PM   #57
Smarties
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjazz View Post
I've seen many people didn't even bother to ask and think they look cool with DS on their 6-6.3in wrist!
Smarties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 03:20 PM   #58
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't know what you smoking(in that smiley pic) but am not saying to compare the camera angle to the watch(to figure out which looks bigger) but the watch to the wrist. That's relative and it won't change from far or close camera angle. If the watch is looking too big on the wrist.. it will still appear that from even little far video.
Exactly right. I dont understand why people don't get this. Look at the position of the lugs relative to the edge of the wearer's wrist.

The camera distance doesn't need to be the same, only the size of the wearer's wrist needs to be the same.

Anyway, I agree, it looks more like 42mm to me.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 03:56 PM   #59
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

Distance matter, so closer will make the watch look bigger. The only exception is if they used a 200mm lens to shoot the watch images to avoid "close-up" distortions. That's fact within photography.

The new SD grows on me - but much more I hope, as it is big enough.

Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 03:58 PM   #60
G'ed
"TRF" Member

Done with Rolex Basel brochure from 2014 and 2017.
G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote