The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 April 2020, 03:05 AM   #1
Chevelle007
"TRF" Member
 
Chevelle007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Usa
Posts: 62
A little confusion with the 2500 movement.

I have a first gen PO that I bought from a used dealer a couple years back. I'm running into a bit of confusion trying to determine if I have the 2500c or the 2500d. If I go by the date wheel trick and the serial number check, it would lead me to believe it's a C version. However, I emailed Omega with my serial and they responded that I in fact have the D version. I know the common accepted fact is that anything after 85xxx is a 2500d. Mine is 81xxx and comes back as manufactured in 2007. Could Omega be wrong in their response to me or maybe something else I'm not thinking of?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Chevelle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 08:35 AM   #2
brmott
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Real Name: Bryan
Location: Tulsa, OK
Watch: Rolex SubC
Posts: 144
Iíve owned several 2500 POs. I also believed a serial after 85xxx was the D version. Interested to read what others say about it
brmott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 05:50 PM   #3
v1triol
"TRF" Member
 
v1triol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EU
Posts: 49
Care to share a photo of the date?

Afaik, the only way which gives 100% assurance is to open a case back and check which version is engraved on the movement.
v1triol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 05:53 PM   #4
Andad
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
Andad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 31,113
That would settle it.
__________________
E

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 06:07 PM   #5
v1triol
"TRF" Member
 
v1triol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EU
Posts: 49
It is also possible that watch orginally had 2500C but during the service a whole new movement was installed (means 2500D as C movements are not longer in production) and 2500C date was retro-fitted to this new movement.
There were cases like that, if done at Omega service centre - it may explain why they are telling you it is D.
v1triol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 08:52 PM   #6
mic6
"TRF" Member
 
mic6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Europe-Emirates
Posts: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle007 View Post
I have a first gen PO that I bought from a used dealer a couple years back. I'm running into a bit of confusion trying to determine if I have the 2500c or the 2500d. If I go by the date wheel trick and the serial number check, it would lead me to believe it's a C version. However, I emailed Omega with my serial and they responded that I in fact have the D version. I know the common accepted fact is that anything after 85xxx is a 2500d. Mine is 81xxx and comes back as manufactured in 2007. Could Omega be wrong in their response to me or maybe something else I'm not thinking of?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
How can you check the mvt version with the serial number ?
__________________
mic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 03:28 AM   #7
Chevelle007
"TRF" Member
 
Chevelle007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Usa
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1triol View Post
It is also possible that watch orginally had 2500C but during the service a whole new movement was installed (means 2500D as C movements are not longer in production) and 2500C date was retro-fitted to this new movement.
There were cases like that, if done at Omega service centre - it may explain why they are telling you it is D.
I've also come across this after making this post.

Also, I don't know how they check which version you have by serial. I just know I emailed them directly and they gave me all the corresponding information that they had on my watch and it specified it was using the D version.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Chevelle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 06:09 AM   #8
v1triol
"TRF" Member
 
v1triol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EU
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle007 View Post
I've also come across this after making this post.

Also, I don't know how they check which version you have by serial. I just know I emailed them directly and they gave me all the corresponding information that they had on my watch and it specified it was using the D version.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
In most of the cases, they do have such details about the movement, not always but in 90% of cases they will know which version was it.

Did they tell you anything about the watch service history?
v1triol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 09:42 PM   #9
Chevelle007
"TRF" Member
 
Chevelle007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Usa
Posts: 62
Unfortunately that was the extent of what they could tell me. They said they would give me a full detailed report at the next servicing. I was told the movement was serviced prior to me buying it, which I believe because it is keeping excellent time.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Chevelle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 12:08 AM   #10
Chevelle007
"TRF" Member
 
Chevelle007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Usa
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1triol View Post
Care to share a photo of the date?

Afaik, the only way which gives 100% assurance is to open a case back and check which version is engraved on the movement.
Here's a pic with the date.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Chevelle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 01:03 AM   #11
alphadweller
"TRF" Member
 
alphadweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Real Name: Victor
Location: Spain
Watch: 116622 - 126600
Posts: 668
I asked Omega about the PO2500 45.5 I bought from their boutique in 2005. They said D, but they are clueless, it's a C. Only way to tell without opening up is the date wheel.

C left, D right.
851173-40dc634ae6cc565146e5a937283fb656.jpg
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 02:14 AM   #12
v1triol
"TRF" Member
 
v1triol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EU
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle007 View Post
Here's a pic with the date.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Looks like a typical "C" for me, but if Omega serviced it and now says it is "D".. who am I to dispute them;)
v1triol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 04:20 AM   #13
fskywalker
2020 Rolex+Tudor GMT Pledge Member
 
fskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Real Name: Francisco
Location: San Juan, PR
Watch: Is Ticking !
Posts: 11,819
A little confusion with the 2500 movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle007 View Post
Here's a pic with the date.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

As said above your 45mm PO watch (nice! ) is either a 2500D after getting a new movement (unlikely as think it would had got a new serial number in the case matching the new movement serial number) or Omega just told you incorrect information and it is a 2500C.

People say serials after 85,25X,XXX are the ones with the 2500D movement. My 2509.50 is serial # 846895XX and it is a 2500C as confirmed by a watchmen with access to the Omega database. 2500C movements are very reliable so would not worry about not having a 2500D.

In my case I like the font of the new D date wheel more than the one on the older 2500C and will just source the wheel and have a watchmen to swap them eventually. Just in case this is Omega reference number of the 2500D black wheel:






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________

Francisco
♛ 16610 / 18239 / 16622
Ω 2504.52 / 2201.50 / 168.022 / 2232.30
★ 03.2150.400
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 11:40 PM   #14
brmott
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Real Name: Bryan
Location: Tulsa, OK
Watch: Rolex SubC
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
I asked Omega about the PO2500 45.5 I bought from their boutique in 2005. They said D, but they are clueless, it's a C. Only way to tell without opening up is the date wheel.

C left, D right.
Attachment 1125991
Thanks for posting this!
brmott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2020, 07:15 PM   #15
alphadweller
"TRF" Member
 
alphadweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Real Name: Victor
Location: Spain
Watch: 116622 - 126600
Posts: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1triol View Post
Looks like a typical "C" for me, but if Omega serviced it and now says it is "D".. who am I to dispute them;)
My 2500C was serviced in 2016 by Omega. Their client service rep. told me it was a D...but it's a C! I couldn't speak directly with the watchmaker who did the job. I bought it in 2005. The date wheel has the funny "I" number instead of "1" (except for 1 and 11). Quirky.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2020, 09:28 PM   #16
alphadweller
"TRF" Member
 
alphadweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Real Name: Victor
Location: Spain
Watch: 116622 - 126600
Posts: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by brmott View Post
Thanks for posting this!
you're welcome!
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 02:11 AM   #17
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member
 
Aquaholic_user's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Real Name: Rich
Location: US
Posts: 264
I have a 45 PO that's an 85261XXX and it definitely has the 2500C. Has never been serviced and still runs +2 secs a day.

SM-N960U
Aquaholic_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 02:49 AM   #18
Amazing Lady
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: On the move
Watch: Rolex, Patek
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaholic_user View Post
I have a 45 PO that's an 85261XXX and it definitely has the 2500C. Has never been serviced and still runs +2 secs a day.

SM-N960U
Please, what year is that watch from?
Amazing Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 06:57 AM   #19
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member
 
Aquaholic_user's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Real Name: Rich
Location: US
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Lady View Post
Please, what year is that watch from?
The card is dated 7/2011, I'm not sure if production date would have been same time but I would believe its a 2011.

SM-N960U
Aquaholic_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 07:38 AM   #20
Amazing Lady
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: On the move
Watch: Rolex, Patek
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaholic_user View Post
The card is dated 7/2011, I'm not sure if production date would have been same time but I would believe its a 2011.

SM-N960U
Thank You.
Amazing Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2020, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.