The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

View Poll Results: What dimension matters most?
Diameter 1 3.33%
Lug to lug length 16 53.33%
Case thickness 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 June 2020, 07:54 AM   #1
Bruin20
"TRF" Member

Which dimension impacts comfort most?

Was thinking about this after trying a lot of watches on the other day. I found that diameter and lug to lug measurements all felt comfortable regardless of how big or small the watch was, but the thickness of a watch immediately felt different.

What impacts comfort for you the most? Also found a lot of stock leather straps to just be too bolstered and several stock rubber straps to be very sticky. Have to say the aqua terra rubber strap was probably the most comfortable of them all.
Bruin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 08:23 AM   #2
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin20 View Post
I found that diameter and lug to lug measurements all felt comfortable regardless of how big or small the watch was, but the thickness of a watch immediately felt different.

What impacts comfort for you the most?
I tend to agree, but I wonder if it’s the height of the watch sitting above the wrist, or the likelihood that thicker watches also tend to be heavier? Would a tall-sitting titanium watch feel equally uncomfortable?
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 10:23 AM   #3
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

For me the top things that limit comfort of a watch:

1. Lug to lug length (more important than diameter) and shape (straight lugs less comfortable than curved lugs).

2. For watches w metal bracelets, the type of end-link can make or break a watch that is at the upper limits of size ... for example, the speedy pro hesalite on its current standard issue bracelet is a no-go for me, but it is comfortable on a leather strap or NATO-type strap. As another example, I find 5 digit Rolex prof watches that have solid end links slightly less comfortable than the older ones without SEL, as the latter conforms to the curves of the wrist better.

3. Thickness - in part depends on diameter and lug to lug length. But in general, the thinner the watch, the more comfortable it is to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 10:43 AM   #4
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

What matters more, direction or speed?

It's the combination of them that really make for a hit or miss.
bigfatpauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 11:25 AM   #5
zesty55
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
I think it's more a problem for smaller-wristed folks, being on the smallest holes on straps can cause deployants to land on the side of the wrist. A clasp on a bracelet sized at an extreme can have the same trouble.

I've experienced that a bit with the sbga405 (that strap it ships with -- very long!), my over 7" wrist strap was on smallest hole, and deployant was uncomfortable.

I'd guess similar troubles for huge-wristed folks, but they seem less common vs. wrists on the smaller size.
zesty55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 11:45 AM   #6
shafran
"TRF" Member

Thickness 100 % for me. I have 2 44mm watches. A journe mom pusher and an arnold & son dbg both thin and very comfortable. I used to have a panerai, a hublot, an offshore....
All too thick to wear well for me.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 11:58 AM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It totally depends on the reference for me.

I wear polar opposites .... it all depends on how well all the form factors work together

Here are two very different watches ... ones 47 diameter, LL about 57mm and 16mm thick. The other is 40mm, 48mm LL and 12.5mm thick, yet both are extremely comfortable

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 07:09 AM   #8
thewatchidiot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
I tend to agree, but I wonder if it’s the height of the watch sitting above the wrist, or the likelihood that thicker watches also tend to be heavier? Would a tall-sitting titanium watch feel equally uncomfortable?

It did to me. I have a 160mm wrist. Owned a grand seiko sbgr305, titanium at 13.7 mm thick. Looked good but never felt balanced never felt comfortable on my wrist.
For me, thinness is most important!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thewatchidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 08:10 AM   #9
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Weight is one aspect that causes the most discomfort for many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 02:07 PM   #10
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

For me it’s the flatness of the case back. A watch of almost any size or thickness is comfortable on me as long as the case back is flat. Explorers and GMTs are way more comfortable for me than Subs and Sea Dwellers, for example.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote