The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 August 2019, 07:31 AM   #31
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther89 View Post
No one raps about VC because they’re not popular - why is Rolex considered possibly THE watch brand? Because they are WANTED (whether people agree with it or not). VC is not wanted by many at all
They are wanted like a Mercedes or a BMW is wanted. A middle income person can save up for it or an upper-middle income person can have one, or a few, as a symbol of their success. People who have a lot of money can still appreciate them as everyday utilitarian pieces.

You are on the rolexforums. Most of us love Rolex. I own two. That doesn't mean I think they are the end all be all. I've owned a Mercedes and BMW but I've never owned a Ferrari. I can't afford a Ferrari, just like the average person can't go near a modern Patek, AP, or VC. Me buying a holy trinity watch is the equivalent of me selling my entire collection to get a used fairly entry level piece like a decent calatrava, royal oak, or overseas. I just wouldn't do that.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 07:38 AM   #32
Cooper33
"TRF" Member

Well, if I see a guy with a Rolex on the street I don't think anything of it. Just a guy and a Rolex, probably bought it to celebrate something but has no idea what its actually on his wrist (usually, a Sub).

If I see anyone with a VC, on the other hand, while the above may also be applicable (well, minus the Sub), my first reaction is to think that he knows about watches and has a discerning taste.

Change my mind.
Cooper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 07:48 AM   #33
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper33 View Post
Well, if I see a guy with a Rolex on the street I don't think anything of it. Just a guy and a Rolex, probably bought it to celebrate something but has no idea what its actually on his wrist (usually, a Sub).

If I see anyone with a VC, on the other hand, while the above may also be applicable (well, minus the sub), my first reaction is to think that he knows about watches and have a discerning taste.

Change my mind.
Rolex is the definitely the luxury watch for the guy who doesn't know anything about watches. It's part of what's driving the current market.

It's the default, most popular, easiest choice that requires next to no thought.
Old 28 August 2019, 07:51 AM   #34
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
AP became a one-trick pony in the last 2 decades. All they sell and market is RO and the thousand variations of the model.

RO became the fancier Hublot, no offence to anyone.

I would probably put Lange next to VC and Patek nowadays.

Let me fix this for you...”Hublot became the poser RO”

Whatever you think of AP, their finishing and higher complications position them in the upper tier of watch makers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 August 2019, 07:51 AM   #35
Cooper33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Rolex is the definitely the luxury watch for the guy who doesn't know anything about watches. It's part of what's driving the current market.

It's the default, most popular, easiest choice that requires next to no thought.
Exactly
Old 28 August 2019, 07:54 AM   #36
Luther89
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Ohh? Is that so. You have sales numbers to back this up do you

AOW
Stop being pedantic. You know what I mean. We don’t need sales figures to know which brands are more wanted than others. Do I need figures to convince you that Patek is more wanted than omega?
Luther89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 08:00 AM   #37
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
AP became a one-trick pony in the last 2 decades. All they sell and market is RO and the thousand variations of the model.
RO became the fancier Hublot, no offence to anyone.

I would probably put Lange next to VC and Patek nowadays.
Hahahahaha thats why the Royal Oak trades well over list, with the blue dial at 50%+ over list, because it's a fancy Hublot? You can tell the desired models by their resale. Lange and VC depreciate 40% out the door, dogs!
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 08:01 AM   #38
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
No one raps about VC because they’re not popular - why is Rolex considered possibly THE watch brand? Because they are WANTED (whether people agree with it or not). VC is not wanted by many at all
I’ll put a dent in that thought.
My next sought after watches are a VC Overseas and a PP.
Since the latter has a long wait time, guess what I will be wearing this time next year, God willing?
Old 28 August 2019, 08:02 AM   #39
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:

If I see anyone with a VC, on the other hand, while the above may also be applicable (well, minus the Sub), my first reaction is to think that he knows about watches and has a discerning taste.

Change my mind.
The only thing I think about when I see a VC on a guys wrist is that he got hosed for 40% after purchase.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 08:03 AM   #40
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Stop being pedantic. You know what I mean. We don’t need sales figures to know which brands are more wanted than others. Do I need figures to convince you that Patek is more wanted than omega?
.....and to add to that, while a Daytona sells for nearly double retail, the Nautilus sells for 2.5 times more, and we are not talking about $12k/$25K. We are talking $31,000/$75,000 which is quite a few pennies more.
Old 28 August 2019, 08:05 AM   #41
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
The only thing I think about when I see a VC on a guys wrist is that he got hosed for 40% after purchase.
I think there lies a sad current problem. A group of Rolex guys lately are all about resale, investment, yadda, yadda, and not about appreciating a watch for what it is.

I guess I am an idiot for buying a Cartier Santos, which I bought because I appreciate the heritage of being the very first wrist watch and because I love it. Never intend to sell it or any of my watches.
Old 28 August 2019, 08:05 AM   #42
Futuristic
Banned

Who knows...
Futuristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 08:08 AM   #43
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Resale value and incredible achievements in horology are not necessarily synonymous in today’s FOMO, social media driven hysteria.

Read a Watchtime magazine or the links in this thread and see what real watch enthusiasts think of VC.
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 08:12 AM   #44
Cooper33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of owners of luxury watches couldn't care less about retail value, I know that I don't. If it appreciates, great, but who gives a shit. If you think you'll really need the money in the future and selling a few pieces will make a difference in your life, perhaps buying them in the first place wasn't a good move. They're meant to be bought with disposable income.

A brand new Ferrari also takes a hit the day it leaves the dealership, but I don't imagine owners really care about that.

But that's the current state of affairs...guess the "hot demand" created a whole new segment of "value retention enthusiasts"...
Old 28 August 2019, 08:13 AM   #45
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of owners of luxury watches couldn't care less about retail value, I know that I don't. If it appreciates, great, but who gives a shit. If you think you'll really need the money in the future and selling a few pieces will make a difference in your life, perhaps buying them in the first place wasn't a good move. They're meant to be bought with disposable income.

A brand new Ferrari also takes a hit the day it leaves the dealership, but I don't imagine owners really care about that.

But that's the current state of affairs...guess the "hot demand" created a whole new segment of "value retention enthusiasts"...
Winner!
Is there a “bowing” to you emoji I can use?
Old 28 August 2019, 08:13 AM   #46
Cooper33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
I think there lies a sad current problem. A group of Rolex guys lately are all about resale, investment, yadda, yadda, and not about appreciating a watch for what it is.

I guess I am an idiot for buying a Cartier Santos, which I bought because I appreciate the heritage of being the very first wrist watch and because I love it. Never intend to sell it or any of my watches.
EVERYBODY IS! If you don't buy in the craziness of the Rolex SS, the RO or a Nautilus, you are certainly an idiot. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE????
Old 28 August 2019, 08:14 AM   #47
Cooper33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Winner!
Even better, we can always cheer!
Old 28 August 2019, 08:15 AM   #48
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Winner!
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 08:16 AM   #49
joyfultrade
"TRF" Member

Who knows?
joyfultrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 08:18 AM   #50
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Not hating on them, just pointing out that it’s really the only thing that other brands cannot boast.
You are a hater and a shady one to post this in the Rolex forum.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 08:22 AM   #51
007timer
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
That seems a very vague answer. Do they make more complicated watches than anyone else. Have they done something so amazingly groundbreaking such as invest the first waterproof mechanical watch or the first watch to ‘land on the moon’?

You are right, It’s not a good answer nor a constructive one. They made some great watches and have a rich history that others on this forum can provide better information on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
007timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 08:22 AM   #52
RobearH
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post
Who knows...
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfultrade View Post
Who knows?
You guys ride the bus together?
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 08:24 AM   #53
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
VC has some grand complications like minute repeater, celestial, pcc, tourbillon and combinations of these. VC has a very complete offering of model line, and also invest a large portion of their work with finishing.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 08:41 AM   #54
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Unpopular opinion...if any of the holy trinity deserve to have their current status questioned, it’s AP.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 08:42 AM   #55
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobearH View Post
You guys ride the bus together?
Who knows?
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 08:53 AM   #56
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hahahahaha thats why the Royal Oak trades well over list, with the blue dial at 50%+ over list, because it's a fancy Hublot? You can tell the desired models by their resale. Lange and VC depreciate 40% out the door, dogs!
Dogs? Seriously? This is the first time anyone I can recall referred to ALS as a dog. Interesting choice of wording.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 08:58 AM   #57
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Here's a fun little exercise for everyone.

See something objectively stupid or so ill informed that it makes you laugh? Take a look at the join date.

Chances are it's someone who has joined in 2018 or 2019.

Don't get me wrong. Being here longer isn't some badge of honor unless you're one of the really old guys. Obviously not every new member is posting trash, but trust me on this one and take a look at those join dates the next time your are reading the forum and shaking your head.
Old 28 August 2019, 09:03 AM   #58
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:

See something objectively stupid or so ill informed that it makes you laugh? Take a look at the join date.

Don't get me wrong. Being here longer isn't some badge of honor unless you're one of the really old guys. Obviously not every new member is posting trash, but trust me on this one and take a look at those join dates the next time your are reading the forum and shaking your head.
Great point!
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 09:13 AM   #59
ashbaug2
Banned

I don't own any watch made by the so-named Holy Trinity, and probably never will, so I guess I don't have much of a dog in the hunt, but I believe they are part of this revered group of manufacturers because of their history and history of innovation. Very, very few brands can even hold a candle to them in terms of contributions to the watchmaking industry. I know a lot of people argue that Lange should knock out one of those 3 for a spot, but I don't believe their history is nearly as long or storied, even though they are engineering some amazing pieces.

There is obviously much, much more evidence that could argue why those three do make up the "Holy Trinity" of watchmakers, but I fear it would probably fall on blind eyes, considering the inability of many, these days, to internally process points or arguments counter to their own beliefs... I feel the OP wasn't looking for an answer, simply initiating a roundabout way of arguing that VC wasn't worthy.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 09:14 AM   #60
ashbaug2
Banned

Quote:

Unfortunately I resemble that statement... But I would hope I don't contribute to that problem...
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote