The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 19 May 2020, 08:24 AM   #1
danicasi2002
"TRF" Member

Vacheron Oversease Blue Dial

Are the blue dials of the 2nd and 3rd generation Overseas the same finish? That is, are they both shiny/glossy? Or is one more matte than the other? Do you prefer the 2nd or 3rd (current) generation blue dial finish? I do not own a VC but this is the only Trinity brand I do not own. Thanks
danicasi2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 08:56 PM   #2
Chromosome
"TRF" Member

This or the 3rd gen blue dial Chrono in steel are my fave. The ability to quickly change strap easily on the 3rd gen is a big plus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chromosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 09:21 PM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
The third gen blue is different, it's darker which I really like, the 2 gen is brighter.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 04:25 AM   #4
Bruin20
"TRF" Member

Have you thought about the silver dial? I've seen black and blue in person at the boutique. Didn't like black at all and blue looked good in certain lights.
Bruin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 04:40 AM   #5
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I have the laquer blue on my overseas tourbillon and it's stunning
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 05:21 AM   #6
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicasi2002 View Post
Are the blue dials of the 2nd and 3rd generation Overseas the same finish? That is, are they both shiny/glossy? Or is one more matte than the other? Do you prefer the 2nd or 3rd (current) generation blue dial finish? I do not own a VC but this is the only Trinity brand I do not own. Thanks
No. The 2nd Gen is a well executed beautiful flat lacquer blue. The 3rd Gen is pure magic (actually translucent blue lacquer on a sunray base). The two are entirely different.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 06:54 AM   #7
danicasi2002
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the input and the photo. I am leaning towards the blue 4500 plus having the added straps. I am also glad it is still easier to get the blue dial VCO compared to AP RO.
Old 20 May 2020, 07:15 AM   #8
STLrolexfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126660 JC
I just put a deposit down for the 5500V (3rd gen chrono) with blue dial and couldn’t be more excited about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
STLrolexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 07:52 AM   #9
kumar75203
Banned

I hope this is an appropriate place to ask instead of starting another thread.

Does the 3rd gen wear bigger than the 2nd gen because of the flared lugs?
kumar75203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 07:52 AM   #10
danicasi2002
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLrolexfan View Post
I just put a deposit down for the 5500V (3rd gen chrono) with blue dial and couldn’t be more excited about it.

Looking forward to your post if you are willing.
Old 21 May 2020, 09:48 AM   #11
STLrolexfan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicasi2002 View Post
Looking forward to your post if you are willing.

Absolutely, whenever I get it in my hands! Could be June, could take longer...

Old 21 May 2020, 09:46 PM   #12
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
The latest gen blue dial on the VC Overseas is different than the previous version. (I've seen both side by side.)

The current version is the most beautiful blue dial on the market but any brand, IMHO. A VC saleswoman at the NYC boutique told me it was a special lacquer based on a Japanese technique. Not sure I fully believed her, but it sounded cool. Can go from a dark navy blue to electric blue with turquoise highlights, depending on the light.

Overall, the Overseas is a such a beautiful classic timepiece with impeccable finishing. And those three straps it comes with make it so versatile. Masculine and elegant at the same time. The blue-dial version now trades/re-sells for close to retail, which is a little unusual for VCs. I think it took a while for the watch-lover community to fully appreciate it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VC-Metal-TRF.jpg (283.6 KB, 1223 views)
File Type: jpg VC-Sun-TRF.jpg (288.3 KB, 1233 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2020, 03:03 AM   #13
helloworldies
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Omega JLC
helloworldies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2020, 08:29 AM   #14
bogdoc
"TRF" Member

I love the new blue dial. Its my favorite watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4903.jpeg (275.0 KB, 1166 views)
bogdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 07:50 AM   #15
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
The dial on the 3rd generation is totally stunning.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 09:36 AM   #16
danicasi2002
"TRF" Member

Wow. You guys are right. The dark blue to bright blue color of the dial depending on the lighting is stunning.
Old 23 May 2020, 12:39 PM   #17
STLrolexfan
"TRF" Member

Loving this thread for making me feel great about my choice to get a blue dial Overseas! Keep it coming to keep me entertained while I wait for mine...

Old 23 May 2020, 04:09 PM   #18
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

I'm waiting on a blue dial 3 hander, is taking a while.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
startrolexendrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 03:04 AM   #19
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by startrolexendrolex View Post
I'm waiting on a blue dial 3 hander, is taking a while.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
You can't get them new right now from ADs or VC boutiques, and the used ones rarely come on the market. Black and silver are relatively available, but not blue. That includes pre-pandemic. Now it's even worse.

VC makes far fewer watches than most brands to begin with, and the blue Overseas has become a very hot watch, for good reasons. By far, my favorite watch of any offering from the Holy Trinity. There's just something very special about it. The chrono Overseas is nice too, especially the black with white sub-dials, but it's a lot chunkier, and I think you need a big wrist to pull it off comfortably. The three-hand version is smaller and slimmer, but still has a very appealing angular chunkiness to it. And then there's that stunning blue dial ......
Old 24 May 2020, 04:08 PM   #20
danicasi2002
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
No. The 2nd Gen is a well executed beautiful flat lacquer blue. The 3rd Gen is pure magic (actually translucent blue lacquer on a sunray base). The two are entirely different.
I have not seen the 2nd gen in person. Would be good if we can get some shots of 2nd gen watches in the same lighting as the 3rd gen shown above. Thanks.
Old 25 May 2020, 03:44 AM   #21
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

That’s strange as I called the boutique in London around 3 weeks back and ordered one straight away. Was delivered a few days later. Two other people also ordered that week (before the uk price increase) and also for blue dials no problem. All came from Switzerland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
You can't get them new right now from ADs or VC boutiques, and the used ones rarely come on the market. Black and silver are relatively available, but not blue. That includes pre-pandemic. Now it's even worse.

VC makes far fewer watches than most brands to begin with, and the blue Overseas has become a very hot watch, for good reasons. By far, my favorite watch of any offering from the Holy Trinity. There's just something very special about it. The chrono Overseas is nice too, especially the black with white sub-dials, but it's a lot chunkier, and I think you need a big wrist to pull it off comfortably. The three-hand version is smaller and slimmer, but still has a very appealing angular chunkiness to it. And then there's that stunning blue dial ......
Old 25 May 2020, 05:28 AM   #22
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
That’s strange as I called the boutique in London around 3 weeks back and ordered one straight away. Was delivered a few days later. Two other people also ordered that week (before the uk price increase) and also for blue dials no problem. All came from Switzerland.
The boutiques that are VC owned still get them fairly easily, but not a lot of those around. London, Geneva and Zurich should get you what you want pretty reliably, the ME boutiques too.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 05:49 AM   #23
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Maybe Europe is different than the U.S. I’m surprised you could order during the pandemic when the factory was closed. How long is the wait?
Old 25 May 2020, 06:56 AM   #24
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Maybe Europe is different than the U.S. I’m surprised you could order during the pandemic when the factory was closed. How long is the wait?
I heard uk prices were rising on the 1st May so messaged them on their website on the Saturday before. They confirmed they could get a blue dial. Spoke to them over the phone and paid. Watch came via Amsterdam and I received it on the Wednesday so 3 working days. Service was excellent from start to finish, far better than with Rolex or any other brands I’ve bought.

Two others confirmed they had also ordered the blue - think they had to wait a couple of weeks or so.
Old 25 May 2020, 07:29 AM   #25
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
I heard uk prices were rising on the 1st May so messaged them on their website on the Saturday before. They confirmed they could get a blue dial. Spoke to them over the phone and paid. Watch came via Amsterdam and I received it on the Wednesday so 3 working days. Service was excellent from start to finish, far better than with Rolex or any other brands I’ve bought.

Two others confirmed they had also ordered the blue - think they had to wait a couple of weeks or so.
Ah, you’re lucky. Several U.S. ADs I called in States that have reopened said they couldn’t even take orders, and the boutiques are still closed.
Old 25 May 2020, 07:56 AM   #26
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I could have ordered one in December in the US, no discount with delivery quotes in april/ may. Of course thats all out the window now.
I ended up finding mine, a new (black 4500V) on Christmas eve from a grey dealer in NY who had it in stock from a neighboring VC AD with a good discount.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 09:24 AM   #27
danicasi2002
"TRF" Member

All, Has Vacheron Constantin reopened their manufacturing facilities? I read Rolex has.
Old 25 May 2020, 09:31 AM   #28
wuyangkid
"TRF" Member

I contacted the VC boutique in London on April 30th and paid 50% deposit to secure one at the pre increase price. They say that they have a blue dial 4500v in the boutique but can't get to it as they are not allowed to open so in just waiting until lockdown in the UK eases up

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
wuyangkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 10:41 AM   #29
7sins
"TRF" Member

Has anyone seen the 3rd gen brown dial in person? Debating between that and the blue for the overseas? Looks like the brown was made in much more limited production and trading at a higher premium
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 01:21 PM   #30
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdoc View Post
I love the new blue dial. Its my favorite watch.
Beautiful