The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 March 2013, 05:36 AM   #1
philhul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
+18 seconds in 24 hours

Hi,

I bought my Sub C on 13th January new. It was wound by the AD and I've wore it just about every day since so it hasn't needed winding again.

I noticed it was running a bit fast so set it to the time shown on atomic-clock.org.uk

Tonight, only 24 hours later, it has gained 18 seconds. I guess this is a bit much? I'll take it back to the AD, but what will they do with it?

Thanks
philhul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2013, 05:38 AM   #2
MonBK
Banned

Most likely they will tell you to come back in a couple of weeks to let the watch settle or they will just regulate it, (simple procedure).
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2013, 05:57 AM   #3
philhul
"TRF" Member

OK thanks. I thought it might take a little while to 'bed in' which is why I left it a couple of months before resetting it.

You're saying it would take more than 2 months to settle? Hope so! I was getting a bit worried.
Old 22 March 2013, 08:00 AM   #4
mrbill2mrbill2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Give it a full 40 turn winding every week or two.

Low power reserve on the main spring leads to low amplitude which leads to the watch running fast.

Old 23 March 2013, 05:27 AM   #5
philhul
"TRF" Member

Tried giving it a good wind this morning before re-setting to atomic clock website. 12 hours later, 9 seconds fast. Think I'll drop into my AD tomorrow, it's only a couple of miles away.
Old 24 March 2013, 05:28 AM   #6
Matthias22
"TRF" Member

That's not close to COSC, somethings definitely off, regardless of how much you've "charged" the power reserve. Rolex will take care of it.
Matthias22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2013, 09:28 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philhul View Post
Tried giving it a good wind this morning before re-setting to atomic clock website. 12 hours later, 9 seconds fast. Think I'll drop into my AD tomorrow, it's only a couple of miles away.
You cannot test any watch over a few hours now before you go running to the AD do a proper test.First manually wind your watch 40 full crown turns clockwise only.Then set time with a reliable time source for this test any quartz watch will do sync both watches.Then you must wear for a min of 8 hours per day,check time daily with setting source over 5 days.Then average out the lose or gain over those 5 days.If its over a Average of between -4 to +6 seconds over a 24 hour period then watch needs very simple regulation.Which in reality should not take longer than 30 minutes start to finish including pressure check.But if it goes off to the RSC expect to be 4 weeks or longer without your watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2013, 01:49 AM   #8
Rolex Richie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116613LB
If you are located anywhere near Kent, drop it into the Rolex Service Centre, the chap there will sort it out whilst you wait.
Rolex Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2013, 01:57 AM   #9
Rolexpilot
Banned

Every time you allow an AD or even the RSC to service your Rolex you stand the chance of them scratching it or making it worse. If you've been reading here on the forum for a while you know that is true.

I like to think of my Rolexes as fine machinery and jewelry. They are not designed to be accurate time keepers. 3 seconds off....15 seconds off..... I don't care it still isn't accurate. I use my smart phone for that.
Rolexpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2013, 11:05 AM   #10
Oldguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexpilot View Post
Every time you allow an AD or even the RSC to service your Rolex you stand the chance of them scratching it or making it worse. If you've been reading here on the forum for a while you know that is true.

I like to think of my Rolexes as fine machinery and jewelry. They are not designed to be accurate time keepers. 3 seconds off....15 seconds off..... I don't care it still isn't accurate. I use my smart phone for that.
I'm sorry but I can't agree with that. A Rolex is more than beautiful jewelry and fine machinery. It's also a certified chronometer and should, in my view, remain true to those specs, not forever perhaps but long enough ( I say 5 years) to warrant the cost. Otherwise what's the point of building a movement that can pass the rigorous tests required of a chronometer. There are many watch brands out there that are nice jewelry that will last for years and keep time within 20 secs a day. They cost hundreds of dollars, not thousands. I just purchased a new submariner and it damn well better meet the chronometer spec or Rolex will hear from me.
Oldguy is offline   Reply With Quote