The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 1 April 2012, 09:59 PM   #1
RanHong
"TRF" Member

Rolex or Grand Seiko. Part 2

hello everyone, some of you may remember i was looking to purchase a new watch. A couple of grand seiko models cought my eye, but i wasnt sure so i started this thread to learn more about the brand http://rolexforums.com/showthread.ph...ht=grand+seiko

here it is: Grand seiko SBGH013
i am totally in love with it, and thank you all for sharing all the knowledge in the first post.
oh it is gaining 3 seconds per week
sorry about the crapy iphone pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0510.jpg (91.1 KB, 1773 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0525.jpg (91.2 KB, 1774 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0523.jpg (78.0 KB, 1766 views)
Old 1 April 2012, 10:36 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Great looking watch and IMHO one of the finest mechanical movements made today.The Hi beat is very accurate like all the high end Seiko range,and tested to a higher standard than the Swiss COSC.But afraid today many just wear a brand and see Seiko as a lesser brand which its definitely not.And IMHO its a better watch and movement than many of the high end Swiss mass produced watches today.Now the Seiko Grand they are hand built to a very high standard, and many today have no idea about movements in general. Plus many have no idea even how a mechanical movement works and only wear a name on the dial.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 1 April 2012, 11:07 PM   #3
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
Love the GS line. It looks great...congrats.
Old 2 April 2012, 12:49 AM   #4
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Congrats on a great watch!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 2 April 2012, 12:52 AM   #5
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
This watch is really beautiful and I'm glad to know it is that accurate! Congratulations!
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
Old 2 April 2012, 02:59 AM   #6
Roxas
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Congrats. The GS's quality is superb.
Old 2 April 2012, 03:25 AM   #7
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
Seiko make superb watches,i would prefer the watch on a bracelet,but a great watch.
Old 2 April 2012, 06:45 AM   #8
J. Alan
"TRF" Member

A beatiful timepiece -Congrats.

I am seriously looking at a GS BGH001 S.S. myself. The line is now available in North America at a very few select dealers. I was in the AD in Vancouver (1 of 2 in Canada) and they basically don't offer any deals. I think they are waiting for the reaction to the extemely positive write-up in Watchtime.

Padi is 100% right in his comments. The beautiful finish, classic design, and construction of the Grand Seiko line is superb - easily in line with or outdoing our beloved Rolex, VC, JLC, Omega, etc. The Seiko GS line is a truly hand built manufacture movement (60 hand picked Seiko watch makers assemble the movements) with many unique and patented features. The limited production makes them a rare item. The GS line also has a long history in the Seiko line-up.

I am in the market for a new Datejust addition to my Rolex collection and the GS Seiko has made me hesitate.

It is to bad that Seiko is given the old by consumers with little knowledge of Seiko's long history of contructing beautiful timepieces. Unfortunately, it is a hangover from the quartz era that has branded Seiko as a middle-of-the-road watch company.

BTW, any of you TRFer's can lead me to a few GS Seiko AD's in your area, please let me know. Arizona Fine Time seems to be a major player in the GS market.

J. Alan
Old 2 April 2012, 07:35 AM   #9
Leeemjack
Banned

Watch: Sub C, Omega SMP
How could anyone pay top marque watch money...for a seiko!! This is madness. It's a Japanese watch for gods sake! I don't care how nicely it's finished, its a seiko at the end of the day. It's like spending 100k on a 'Grand Toyota', you can tell people its as good as a Ferrari till you are blue in the face but they will just laugh at you...
Old 2 April 2012, 10:03 AM   #10
Adam K.
Banned

Watch: All the Oysters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeemjack View Post
How could anyone pay top marque watch money...for a seiko!! This is madness. It's a Japanese watch for gods sake! I don't care how nicely it's finished, its a seiko at the end of the day. It's like spending 100k on a 'Grand Toyota', you can tell people its as good as a Ferrari till you are blue in the face but they will just laugh at you...

Yeah, and everyone just KNOWS the Japanese can't produce anything top quality. I mean just look at centuries-old arts like Maki-e or the smithing of traditional katanas and other blades with differentially hardened layers defined by such masters as Masamune, Kanemitsu, Noreshige or the like. Worthless, shoddy pieces of crap that no collector or museum in their right mind would pay a plugged nickel to have.

Sarcasm off now. Congrats on that exceptionally fine work of art you have. Grand Seiko should merit considerable respect from every aficionado of horology. Not an easy watch to acquire, either!
Old 2 April 2012, 10:26 AM   #11
HL65

Quote:
Why would you even bother posting in this thread and bashing his watch purchase. Very classy and tactful....Not! If you don't like it move on and keep your stupid comments to yourself.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 2 April 2012, 10:30 AM   #12
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's why the Grand Seiko is such a great watch.

You've got to dig a little deeper than the brand name and examine the engineering excellence.

The goons you mention would run away from a Ferrari if someone replaced the badge with a Toyota badge.
Old 2 April 2012, 10:38 AM   #13
RanHong
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your kind words. I would unreservedly recommend Grand Seiko to anyone, as I am extremely happy with my purchase. Btw,cheers to Katsu at http://www.higuchi-inc.com/index-e.html for a flawless international transaction.
Old 2 April 2012, 10:59 AM   #14
RanHong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
First of all thank you for your opinion. One of the reasons I bought the grand seiko is because I simply wanted a nice watch not a status symbol. I get a little uncomfortable when people notice my gmt or Daytona and gives you THE look or make comments like "Rolex! You must be rich". The other day 1 of my clients saw my grand seiko and asked " nice looking watch, how much is that?" I said " about 500" and he didn't say anything else. people can laugh all they want, at the end of the day I bought it for myself, I am happy with it, I believe it is an excellent piece of horology and that's all it matters to me.
Old 2 April 2012, 12:29 PM   #15
J. Alan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ya, and what would you say if my "Grand Toyota" wiped your ass on the race track!
The GS Seiko wipes many Swiss watch rear ends, including some of the very high profile brands. Have you actually seen the watch in person? I doubt it. I have and examined it and tried it on - it is a superb timepiece that I would not be embarrassed to wear. I would find it entertaining to explain to doubters that it is a rare hand made watch (estimated total production is about 2000 a year) and keeps better time than 99% of the mechanical watches available from Switzerland.

As the owner states, he wanted a superb stealth watch and he purchased one and I commend him for that.

J. Alan
Old 2 April 2012, 12:41 PM   #16
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Grand Seiko separates the WIS from the people who dig watches.
I concur with Padi's comments - it's one of the top 3 most refined movements...ESPECIALLY for the price point.
Old 2 April 2012, 01:13 PM   #17
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

Watch: is recovered!!
Congrats on an excellent choice
Old 2 April 2012, 01:17 PM   #18
NYMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675, 116518
Quote:
I don't care how nicely it's finished, its a seiko at the end of the day. It's like spending 100k on a 'Grand Toyota', you can tell people its as good as a Ferrari till you are blue in the face but they will just laugh at you...
It's called a lexus.

The LFA runs for $375,000 and nobody is laughing at it.

Old 2 April 2012, 05:19 PM   #19
herbie911
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMike View Post
It's called a lexus.

Congrad on your new purchase-I mean the watch!

The LFA is a brilliant car but the price is ludicrous and the performance is a bit disappointing when compare with other supercar such as Lambo Aventador or the upcoming V12 Ferrari.
I would rather buy that Lambo and add a 2012 Nissan GTR (faster) for the same money!
Can't denied the LFA V10 is one of the best sounding engine of all time and the attention to detail in its construction is on par with the new Mclaren!
Old 2 April 2012, 08:52 PM   #20
Leeemjack
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMike View Post
It's called a lexus.

Bad example dude, nobody is laughing at it and nobody is buying it either

I liken the Grand Seiko to the Honda NSX, a great car that could woop most super cars of the time....but didnt look as good, didn't have the badge or history and consequently was a total flop

Listen I'm sure Grand Seikos are great watches, but then so are standard Seikos!! So I don't see the £4500 + markup having any real base. Ok they are handmade, so are saville row suits, and made specifically for you from the finest fabrics but they still only cost around a £1000
Old 2 April 2012, 09:00 PM   #21
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfull View Post
Grand Seiko separates the WIS from the people who dig watches.
Agreed. Again and again uninformed people knock GS. Insecure people are so dull.
Old 2 April 2012, 09:01 PM   #22
Leeemjack
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanHong View Post
First of all thank you for your opinion. One of the reasons I bought the grand seiko is because I simply wanted a nice watch not a status symbol. I get a little uncomfortable when people notice my gmt or Daytona and gives you THE look or make comments like "Rolex! You must be rich". The other day 1 of my clients saw my grand seiko and asked " nice looking watch, how much is that?" I said " about 500" and he didn't say anything else. people can laugh all they want, at the end of the day I bought it for myself, I am happy with it, I believe it is an excellent piece of horology and that's all it matters to me.
Ranhong that was very eloquently put, and like I say it's a fine watch and it probably is up there with most Swiss watches, and sometimes better even. And I'm happy that you are happy with your choice

My argument is not with your very nice watch at all, but with the whole grand seiko thing as a whole
Old 2 April 2012, 09:30 PM   #23
HL65

Bye bye Leeemjack- should have bit your tongue and responded properly to me instead of like an idiot.

I have one special button which you don't...

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 2 April 2012, 09:34 PM   #24
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
Bye bye Leeemjack- should have bit your tongue and responded properly to me instead of like an idiot.

Old 2 April 2012, 10:05 PM   #25
zocsos
"TRF" Member

Watch: out!
I'm a huge GS fan! At the end of the day you should listen to your heart and NOT what everybody is saying about this particular brand! You like it = buy it ! It's as simple as that! Enjoy your new arrival!!
Cheers

Zoltan
Old 2 April 2012, 10:16 PM   #26
Porsche
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: and learn
Absolutely lovely GS Jan. these hand made Seiko's are beautifully engineered and made.

I would love to own a GS one day. There is a great video somewhere showing the technology of the movement, worth watching.

PS. Good press of THE button Ken.

ROLEX --- SEIKO --- HEUER

TRF REHAUT
T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M
Old 3 April 2012, 01:54 AM   #27
ohfivepro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many :o)
At least 1 person from Edinburgh loves your watch

I don't have one yet but one of these days it will happen!!
Old 3 April 2012, 03:08 AM   #28
J. Alan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post

Yep, wondered when you were going to push "THE BUTTON" !!!

Like most members, I joined the website to communicate with fellow timepiece lovers - not to be insulted by unimformed morons.

Congratulations to all who are fortunate enough to own a GS Seiko, one of the best watches in the world. This praise is coming from a 7X Rolex owner and, hopefully in the near future, a GS owner.

Hoopla!!!

J. Alan
Old 3 April 2012, 02:19 PM   #29
RanHong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Bad example dude, nobody is laughing at it and nobody is buying it either
I believe Toyota had announced that all LFAs were sold out roughly 6 months before production even started. Also according to autoblog.com 1/3 of the total allocation went to the "land of BMW, Mercedes and Porsche"
Old 3 April 2012, 02:21 PM   #30
wokafu
"TRF" Member

Watch: SM300+14060M
i think the watch looks great...branding IS something...but not everything..
Closed Thread