The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 December 2012, 09:13 AM   #1
mks4
"TRF" Member

Watch: es
Seiko "Golgo 13 Tuna" SBBN023

Well folks, it's time for another review. I've done a couple now and try to pick some eclectic pieces. This one definitely qualifies as eclectic!

So...sit back, grab a drink and take it easy by the fireplace and read on. Or, fall asleep! In the end, be happy that the fictitious character celebrated by this watch is not coming after you!!

Quick background:

I had the opportunity to visit the wonderful city of Fukuoka, Japan for 1 week for work recently. While there, I was able to head downtown and check out plenty of watch spots. I happened into one of the typical "camera" shops as I love to look at all the Casios, Seikos and other watches. Well, I stumbled upon what I am about to review on my first night BUT I didn't buy right away. In fact, I did not buy until the second to last night almost a week later! Tough decision indeed!!!

What is this watch, what's a Tuna and what is a Golgo?

Funny you ask, I had no idea on some of these things either! Well, to start, this is a Seiko, yes a Seiko, Prospex Marine Master Professional Model # SBBN023. It is a dive watch good for 300m and measures in at a whopping 47.5mm case size! This watch takes it design from the mid-70's Seiko Professional diver 6159. This was a landmark design as it used titanium and had a unique shroud that houses the bezel. No helium valve was necessary due to its unique design. The aforementioned shroud, when viewed from the side, has a blocky look not unlike a tuna can. This is where we get the "tuna" nomenclature.

The Golgo...well, Golgo 13 is a manga (Japanese comic book) that has been around since 1969 and Seiko decided to work with the creators of this comic to create several different watches to celebrate the comic book. Before you start thinking about super heroes, think again! Golgo 13 is a professional assassin in the comics...this will come in later as I discuss the packaging and design of the dial.

So, with all that being said, we end up with what is now being referred to as the Seiko Golgo 13 Tuna. An important thing to note...there are only 500 of these.

The dial, case and crystal:

The dial on the Golgo is a classic take on all tunas before but contains some dark red lines that are meant to evoke a target sight on a sniper rifle. The dark red is carried out on the date window surround and the 12:00 bezel marker. The overall dial design is clean and legible. The "Seiko" font is classic and classy. Hands are thick with great lume (all Seikos sport ridiculous lume) and the ticking seconds hand has a lume dot on one end and transitions to dark red past the center point. Minute markers tilt upwards to create a "pie lip" effect. Nicely done. Date window shows day (alternating in Japanese characters!) and date.

The bezel is a nice uni-directional 60-click affair that can only be accessed between the 12 and 3 and 6 and 9 as this is where the shroud allows access. It's a solid feel and is well-centered over the minute markers on the dial. Numbers are etched into the bezel and painted. Lume dot is also painted into the bezel.

The stainless case is fantastic and really what sells the watch. It's so unique and solid in a manner that is so different than other dive watches such as a Sub or Seamaster. Three allen head screws bolt the shroud into the inner case itself. This watch is finished in somewhat of a shiny PVD. Many do not like this because it seemingly scratches easily and collects fingerprints. So far, I like it. I like the normal stainless version too and not sure which direction I would have turned had both been sitting in the store. The case back is a vault-like affair with the Marinemaster logo on back, the limited edition numbering and markings that help guide one on when to change the battery. Lugs extend out from the case and are thru-hole (yes!!) so I am anxious to throw on a 22mm wide NATO as soon as one arrives from Gnomon. The crown is located at 4:00 which helps wrist comfort. It is screw down and has 2 stops. The first is for date and day changing and the second is for time. Pulling all the way out stops the movement.

The crystal itself is "Hardlex" which is a mineral crystal. I am told that it collects scratches easily, but my limited wearing has been fine this far. It is domed and the center extends above the bezel which really looks nice. It's a bit like a porthole, though, and some glare and distortion can occur.

The strap:

The watch comes on a vented rubber strap that is true to the tradition of Seiko divers and Tunas. It has a titanium floating stay and buckle which is a nice touch. The underside of the stay says "Golgo 13" so it remains in cognito on the labeling. It's comfortable, but it's a long strap and sticks out on my small wrist, so I will try a NATO and likely some type of PVD bracelet mesh or otherwise.

The packaging:

The Golgo comes with a lot of packaging. First, there is a white outer cardboard box, then an inner black cardboard box with the Golgo and Seiko logos. Finally, we get to the inner box which has a clasp on it. The inner box is meant to look like a sniper rifle carrier and this is echoed in the style of foam used inside. Normal instruction manual and warranty card are included (indicating the LE number).

The movement:

The movement in the Golgo is the well-known Seiko 7C46. This is a high quality quartz movement made by Seiko itself. So far, all is running perfectly...tough to complain about timekeeping on a battery powered watch.

Overall thoughts/conclusion:

Well, to be clear, I don't favor quartz watches, but I do like the fact that Seiko makes everything and this is not a Chinese quartz movement. I originally looked at the automatic-powered Fieldmaster Golgo but I could not get past the crowded dial and bezel. Plus, while the Tuna has a great reputation, I did not want to step up to used Sub money and buy an automatic-powered 1000m Tuna. So, the Golgo sufficed.

As far as workmanship and quality, I am really astounded by the Seiko. It seems very well made and bulletproof. It also wears much smaller than its big size. The cost was under $1K and that was due to some discounting that took place in the store plus some VAT savings. This is a lot of money for a quartz watch but was priced better than anywhere else I saw on the web and from what I can see, Tunas seem to hold their value due to a cult-like following.

All in all, the Golgo is a really fun watch and I enjoy wearing it. I like the exclusivity of 500 and the fact that it's not "geeked up" with logos on the watch. The colors, IMO, are serious enough to wear without it looking like a toy watch. If this one is not your cup of tea, I do recommend checking out a normal Tuna...it's such a unique and iconic watch. Sub wearers would definitely enjoy having one in their collection.

Lastly, I am not a Seiko expert by any means...so, if any of you are out there reading this, please feel free to comment with any corrections.

Regards,
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3842.jpg (80.4 KB, 869 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3843.jpg (57.8 KB, 858 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3845.jpg (35.2 KB, 851 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3848.jpg (65.9 KB, 854 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3849.jpg (57.5 KB, 852 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3850.jpg (44.3 KB, 849 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3857.jpg (88.8 KB, 854 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3859.jpg (146.4 KB, 849 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3860.jpg (116.6 KB, 855 views)
Heuer (Tag): Temporada/Super Pro/F1
Seiko: 6159/6105/6117/6138/6139/6309/69799
mks4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2012, 09:22 AM   #2
zocsos
"TRF" Member

Watch: out!
Looks awesome, thanks for sharing Mike!
zocsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2012, 11:21 AM   #3
roadking40
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD,Yacht I, II
Really nice, and great review. What a cool kick back watch. Looks like they are well over $1k however. If you scored one under, you got a good deal...
roadking40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2012, 01:10 PM   #4
Lgear080
Banned

Badass. Always loved the golgo franchise.

Great combo and watch.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2012, 01:20 PM   #5
financeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Nice watch and great write up

financeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2012, 11:08 AM   #6
Frogman4me
Banned

Wow that is awesome! Congrats and thanks for sharing