The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 16 October 2015, 12:13 PM   #1
b_hol
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167A / SD4K
Grand Seiko Opinions?

What are your guys thoughts on Grand Seiko timepieces?
b_hol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2015, 12:16 PM   #2
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
They supposedly make some really great watches, but in the US they've really cheapened their brand name buy making some really cheap crap.

Most other luxury watch brands don't do that.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2015, 12:21 PM   #3
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
In the US people don't seem to know or care about the difference between a Seiko and a Grand Seiko. To them Seiko is a cheap beater sold in department stores. Outside of the United States the GS is highly regarded and sought after.

As I type this, there is a Seiko 5 with a Malaysian movement on my wrist and has been sweeping away for the past five years. I beat the crap out of it and has not failed me once.
cdmorenot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2015, 12:23 PM   #4
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
They supposedly make some really great watches, but in the US they've really cheapened their brand name buy making some really cheap crap.

Most other luxury watch brands don't do that.
He's asking specifically about grand seiko. They don't make any cheap crap.

OP, Grand seikos are amazing if you can get past the name seiko on the dial.

I don't personally like many of their designs, but there are a few that I love. From ones I've handled at the boutique here in NY and from the countless pictures and comparisons you will find online, they are finished objectively better than a Rolex. Especially the dials and hands.

I don't know what the process is now, but you used to have to send them to Japan for service. That's a potential deal breaker for many.

Plus let's be serious. It takes an extremely secure person to spend thousands of dollars on a seiko instead of any number of Swiss brands.
Old 16 October 2015, 12:24 PM   #5
MitchSteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Rolex
Think Lexus to Toyota.
Very nice watches, if you're buying it for yourself to appreciate not impress others.

Probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival---Capt. Rage

Don't believe anything in aviation, 'till V1---Mitch Danger Steel
MitchSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2015, 12:37 PM   #6
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
He's asking specifically about grand seiko. They don't make any cheap crap.

I don't personally like many of their designs, but there are a few that I love. From ones I've handled at the boutique here in NY and from the countless pictures and comparisons you will find online, they are finished objectively better than a Rolex. Especially the dials and hands.

I don't know what the process is now, but you used to have to send them to Japan for service. That's a potential deal breaker for many.

Plus let's be serious. It takes an extremely secure person to spend thousands of dollars on a seiko instead of any number of Swiss brands.
Its the same company, but a different line of watches. You don't see Patek or Rolex doing that. Yes Rolex make Tudor, but those are still considered Luxury watches.

A Seiko at Sears is in no way a Luxury watch.

Note, I did say that Grand Seiko made some very good watches. But do notice Seikos has decided to sell their bigger money maker but their cheaper lower end line in the US. So when US thinks cheap, I wonder where that comes from?

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 16 October 2015, 12:42 PM   #7
Boothroyd

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
We have a Grand Seiko dealer locally and my understanding is there is now a US Service Center located in Dallas--opened a couple of years ago.
Boothroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2015, 01:00 PM   #8
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Very nice watches, with interesting heritage. I would he very happy to own one. I have a couple of regular Seikos, too, and there's no better watch for the money, IMO.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2015, 01:12 PM   #9
Brenngun

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
The GS Snowflake is on my wish list. The spring dive movement is a fine piece of horology. Would be very happy to have is sit side by side with my Rolex & Tudor watches.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2015, 05:10 PM   #10
SearChart
TechXpert

I'm not a fan of all their watches but there are some really nice ones that I'd love to own.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2015, 06:22 PM   #11
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Grand Seiko watches are high quality. Period.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2015, 06:29 PM   #12
Cru Jones

Quote:
Its the same company, but a different line of watches. You don't see Patek or Rolex doing that. Yes Rolex make Tudor, but those are still considered Luxury watches.

Note, I did say that Grand Seiko made some very good watches. But do notice Seikos has decided to sell their bigger money maker but their cheaper lower end line in the US. So when US thinks cheap, I wonder where that comes from?

dan, i think the point is that seiko makes a wide range of watches for every price point. you're right, a seiko at sears isn't a luxury watch, but, it is a good watch for the money.

GS, though, really is a luxury watch. and a totally different beast from a "sears seiko".

by your reasoning, breguet and blancpain and GO and omega are cheapened because of cheap crap swatch watches....

anyway, to the OP, do some digging around the forum....there are countless threads about Grand Seiko, its quality and its many interesting advancements.

Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2015, 06:34 PM   #13
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
love it ,considerer it Rolex level even slight higher but wouldn t buy it .

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2015, 07:04 PM   #14
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
dan, i think the point is that seiko makes a wide range of watches for every price point. you're right, a seiko at sears isn't a luxury watch, but, it is a good watch for the money.

GS, though, really is a luxury watch. and a totally different beast from a "sears seiko".

by your reasoning, breguet and blancpain and GO and omega are cheapened because of cheap crap swatch watches....

anyway, to the OP, do some digging around the forum....there are countless threads about Grand Seiko, its quality and its many interesting advancements.

Yeah cheap crap may have been a bit harsh, but I do see what they sell in mass quantities as cheapening their brand name even though the Grand Seiko line of watches are supposed to be some real excellent watches.

I actually chose the wording "most other luxury brands don't" just because of Swatch. But in this case by using the brand name of Swatch to sell them under instead of Omega or one of the other luxury brand names it does help to keep them separate. Most people might not even be aware of it in the first place. Instead where you have the same brand name which sells watches for under a couple hundred dollars as well as over a couple thousand dollars which can cheapen the Seikos brand.

It's just marketing, but then again all marketing is done for the purpose of creating a mental image of one's product. In the states I think there's very good reason Seikos has chosen to go for the HUGE mass market audience and for that reason for the most part they don't sell many Grand Seikos as great as they maybe in the states. They don't even try for the most part and I think they get that as well.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 16 October 2015, 07:58 PM   #15
Cru Jones

Quote:
Yeah cheap crap may have been a bit harsh, but I do see what they sell in mass quantities as cheapening their brand name even though the Grand Seiko line of watches are supposed to be some real excellent watches.

I actually chose the wording "most other luxury brands don't" just because of Swatch. But in this case by using the brand name of Swatch to sell them under instead of Omega or one of the other luxury brand names it does help to keep them separate. Most people might not even be aware of it in the first place. Instead where you have the same brand name which sells watches for under a couple hundred dollars as well as over a couple thousand dollars which can cheapen the Seikos brand.

It's just marketing, but then again all marketing is done for the purpose of creating a mental image of one's product. In the states I think there's very good reason Seikos has chosen to go for the HUGE mass market audience and for that reason for the most part they don't sell many Grand Seikos as great as they maybe in the states. They don't even try for the most part and I think they get that as well.

i hear you, dan, i really do. i just don't know what seiko could do, since GS has been around for something like 50 years.

i guess it's up to seiko to better communicate the differences. have a great day.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2015, 08:02 PM   #16
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
i hear you, dan, i really do. i just don't know what seiko could do, since GS has been around for something like 50 years.

i guess it's up to seiko to better communicate the differences. have a great day.
Who knows, we'll see.

You too sir.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 16 October 2015, 08:06 PM   #17
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post

There really isn’t a name to get past, since everyone knows Seiko watches are reliable and dependable – Grand Seiko is only a model range, in much the same way as Speedmaster, Aqua Terra, and Planet Ocean are to Omega.

As for servicing in Japan – yes, some types still have to return there, mainly the Spring Drives, but you’ve got to bear in mind that officially, Seiko has only been selling the GSes to select international markets for the past 5 years.
At present, watchmakers from those regions are being trained on how service them, but even so, there’s no difference whatsoever in having the watch serviced in the US/UK/etc and it taking 3-4 weeks, or going back to Japan and returned within the same timeframe.
Chances are that done locally, it’ll be slightly quicker, but that’s all – so the whole Japan servicing thing is making a mountain out of a molehill.

In respect of the buyer needing to be secure in their own mind – that’s a very poor way to persuade anyone to buy something that’s every bit as good as what the Swiss/Germans produce at similar or higher price points.
For some, especially in certain places/countries, a Grand Seiko will go unnoticed and not draw any unwarranted attention from undesirables.
The only time it’ll be an issue is if you’re trying to impress your peer group/work colleagues/etc – but then for many, vanity is something we leave behind when we mature into adults……although I think there’s a right too many who hadn’t got that memo by their 30th birthday!
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2015, 08:21 PM   #18
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Superb timepieces - plenty of excellent 'research' material available online.
Old 16 October 2015, 08:31 PM   #19
PJ S
Banned

Quote:

It’s not just a US thing – in fact it’s worse in the UK.
Nevertheless, there’s an old adage that’s worth bearing in mind when thinking about Seiko and Grand Seikos – many small drops make a full bucket.
In other words, it’s the cheap and cheerful watches that have helped Seiko generate the revenue they have, and Grand Seikos, Galantes, and Credors are ranges/brands that showcase what Seiko’s best watchmakers are capable of when it comes to hand assembling highly refined watches.

FWIW, Seiko produces circa 12-15,000 mechanical watches (inc Spring Drive) at the Shizukuishi Studio per year, having increased production to keep up with both domestic and international demand – so slowly, but surely, they’re gaining more momentum and acceptance in the export markets.
Old 16 October 2015, 08:46 PM   #20
Bangel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
What's in a name?

To paraphrase Padi56/Peter, I ask rhetorically, are we buying a watch or a brand name?

While I like some designs more than others, I associate Grand Seiko with high quality, excellent workmanship and innovation. Contrary to some, I actually find the naming association with "ordinary" Seiko appealing as Seiko is a company I admire for it's heritage in the watch industry.

I looked seriously into buying one a while back, but I was ultimately deterred by the logistics of getting them to Japan to get serviced. As suggested above, this may not be the case anymore depending on where you are.

Last edited by Bangel; 16 October 2015 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Bangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2015, 08:47 PM   #21
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Superb timepieces - plenty of excellent 'research' material available online.
Indeed there is, so here’s a few to kickstart the process of discovering more…

http://www.timezone.com/2014/11/07/j...y-tour-part-1/
http://iwmagazine.com/2015/02/a-personal-look-at-seiko/
http://www.watchtime.com/cms/wp-cont..._Seiko_fin.pdf (opens pdf in new tab/window)
http://quillandpad.com/2015/06/02/gr...gger-near-you/
Old 16 October 2015, 08:55 PM   #22
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
...and another...

www.hodinkee.com/articles/inside-seiko
Old 16 October 2015, 09:49 PM   #23
TheBluePrince
"TRF" Member

I always wanted one and took the plunge a few months ago now with a 10 year anniversary Spring Drive -

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/grand-se...eiko-roadshow/

I've had dozens of Rolex, Omega, Tag, Breitling, Cartier, IWC, Longines and others around the same price points......The Grand Seiko is better than all of them by quite some margin imo.

The only way "up" now for me is Patek, Lange, JLC, FP Journe etc.
TheBluePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2015, 09:55 PM   #24
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I have owned many watches from many brands, the two Grand Seiko I own now are the best watches (IMHO) I have owned, I do feel a buzz from wearing them knowing that they are a luxury watch that flies under the radar and the only people that know what I am wearing are people with an interest in watches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluePrince View Post

I've had dozens of Rolex, Omega, Tag, Breitling, Cartier, IWC, Longines and others around the same price points......The Grand Seiko is better than all of them by quite some margin imo.

The only way "up" now for me is Patek, Lange, JLC, FP Journe etc.
I totally agree, I went shopping for a Rolex and came back with a Grand Seiko, I thought it a better watch all round, the only thing it came second in (imho) was in the marketing.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2015, 10:01 PM   #25
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
It’s not just a US thing – in fact it’s worse in the UK.
Not to mention Italy.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2015, 10:06 PM   #26
cdmorenot

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Thanks to both for these wonderful articles! - Psmith & PJ_S
cdmorenot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2015, 12:47 AM   #27
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I really want a spring drive.

The sweep of that seconds hand is mesmerizing.

It's true that it's not a traditional mechanical movement but it's different enough to warrant a place in any collection.

As far as the brand goes, I think it's amazing that they can sell a watch with a mechanical moment for $50 as well as $5000. Always been a huge fan of seiko.
Old 17 October 2015, 12:50 AM   #28
moyski
"TRF" Member

I prefer to let pictures do the talking...

moyski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2015, 12:53 AM   #29
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I'm not a fan of all their watches but there are some really nice ones that I'd love to own.
x 2 . . .
Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2015, 01:57 AM   #30
TheBluePrince
"TRF" Member

That /\ Green dial GMT Hi-Beat will be my next watch i think.
TheBluePrince is offline   Reply With Quote