The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 September 2019, 04:27 PM   #1
quilge
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 4
Info on this Oysterdate Precision 6694?

My Dad gifted me this watch that he himself was gifted many years ago. Neither of us know much about it. The reference is 6694 and I used the serial number lookup tool on Bob's watches to find that this watch was made in either 1952 or 1962. Is this watch legit? Any other info would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg (243.8 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg Webp.net-compress-image.jpg (66.3 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg webp_net_resizeimage.jpg (169.3 KB, 159 views)
quilge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 09:49 PM   #2
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member
 
MorningTundra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Real Name: Morningtundra
Location: USA, UK & HKG
Watch: Old. Mechanical.
Posts: 780
looks good to me...


Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 04:19 AM   #3
quilge
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 4
That's great to hear. How about the coronet on the dial? I have not seen one that looks like this in the images I've looked up.
quilge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 06:57 AM   #4
Verdi
"TRF" Member
 
Verdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Real Name: Mitch
Location: Desert
Watch: Orex
Posts: 2,144
Where did you look up?

https://www.chrono24.com/search/inde...1959&year=1957
__________________
IG: @watch_idiot_savant
Verdi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 08:26 AM   #5
Richard Carver
2020 Pledge Member
 
Richard Carver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: US
Posts: 1,971
Very nice looking old 6694. I'm not sure if Rolex is still servicing them but it has the bullet proof 12XX series movement and any competent Rolex mechanic can service it for you.

The case is in amazing original condition and could take a full polish with no trouble. There will be some noobies along to tell you to never make the watch s good as it can be because looking crappy is some how cool. It is not.

There are some great shops in your area, Rolliworks for example who could make your sweet 6694 as new again. :) They will service the movement, replace the seals, pressure test and polish it for you and it ill be ready for another 50 years of service.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 08:30 AM   #6
offrdmania
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
offrdmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Real Name: Matt
Location: Wine Country, Ca
Posts: 4,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
Very nice looking old 6694. I'm not sure if Rolex is still servicing them but it has the bullet proof 12XX series movement and any competent Rolex mechanic can service it for you.

The case is in amazing original condition and could take a full polish with no trouble. There will be some noobies along to tell you to never make the watch s good as it can be because looking crappy is some how cool. It is not.

There are some great shops in your area, Rolliworks for example who could make your sweet 6694 as new again. :) They will service the movement, replace the seals, pressure test and polish it for you and it ill be ready for another 50 years of service.
Roliworks will also get that beautiful 7205 bracelet back to its original self as well. When all said and done, that 6694 will look brand new from head to toe.
__________________
TRF Member 11738

♛ 116400 Ω 145.022
offrdmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 08:54 AM   #7
Verdi
"TRF" Member
 
Verdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Real Name: Mitch
Location: Desert
Watch: Orex
Posts: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post

The case is in amazing original condition and could take a full polish with no trouble. There will be some noobies along to tell you to never make the watch s good as it can be because looking crappy is some how cool. It is not.
I beg to differ. Case is in poor condition. It looks like someone hammered the lugs area.
A polish will most likely destroy the case. It is dented and attempting to remove the dents and scratches will remove a lot of metal.

OP you can leave it as it is or go the route of restoring the case with laser welding. This is not cheap, though.
__________________
IG: @watch_idiot_savant
Verdi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 09:15 AM   #8
quilge
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 4
Thanks for the replies. The watch runs, but seems to have lost a lot of time over night. I'll have to call up RolliWorks and have them take a look at it. Also, is there a reason that the serial number lookup gave me 1952 and 1962? Did rolex reuse serial numbers?
quilge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 09:22 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & HARRODS SGE Giveaway Patron
 
Tools's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Real Name: Larry
Location: Mojave Desert
Watch: GMT's
Posts: 38,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by quilge View Post
Thanks for the replies. The watch runs, but seems to have lost a lot of time over night. I'll have to call up RolliWorks and have them take a look at it. Also, is there a reason that the serial number lookup gave me 1952 and 1962? Did rolex reuse serial numbers?
Rolex did restart serial numbers in 1955.

Use our chart. https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=54362

The caseback should have the manufacture date stamped inside.
__________________
(Chill ... It's just a watch Forum.....)
NAWCC Member
Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 09:28 AM   #10
Richard Carver
2020 Pledge Member
 
Richard Carver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: US
Posts: 1,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
I beg to differ. Case is in poor condition. It looks like someone hammered the lugs area.
A polish will most likely destroy the case. It is dented and attempting to remove the dents and scratches will remove a lot of metal.

OP you can leave it as it is or go the route of restoring the case with laser welding. This is not cheap, though.
It will be fine. :)
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 10:11 AM   #11
Verdi
"TRF" Member
 
Verdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Real Name: Mitch
Location: Desert
Watch: Orex
Posts: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
It will be fine. :)
It will be the birth of another thread: “Is this OP overpolished?”
:)
__________________
IG: @watch_idiot_savant
Verdi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 10:45 AM   #12
zapokee
"TRF" Member
 
zapokee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Japan
Posts: 2,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by quilge View Post
That's great to hear. How about the coronet on the dial? I have not seen one that looks like this in the images I've looked up.
I've seen coronets like this before on a Date 1500 model, which would be from around the same era.
__________________
Instagram: zapokee
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 11:41 AM   #13
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member
 
MorningTundra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Real Name: Morningtundra
Location: USA, UK & HKG
Watch: Old. Mechanical.
Posts: 780
Don’t be put off by the drama queens fretting over the less than new case condition. It’s not a museum piece, or even rare. Have it serviced, cleaned and lightly polished by someone who knows what they’re doing (like Rolliworks). And you’ll have an honest vintage watch that retains the character of its age. You can achieve clean and shiny without having to remove all traces of its age. Many of the critics have unrealistically high standards and presumably the deep pockets to match.


Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 12:04 PM   #14
zapokee
"TRF" Member
 
zapokee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Japan
Posts: 2,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningTundra View Post
Many of the critics have unrealistically high standards
This. The obsession over unpolished, perfect-condition watches is silly. The watch is 50 years old.
__________________
Instagram: zapokee
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 12:36 PM   #15
Verdi
"TRF" Member
 
Verdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Real Name: Mitch
Location: Desert
Watch: Orex
Posts: 2,144
You can polish scratches, you cannot polish dents.
High standards, polished or unpolished, is a matter of personal preference at the end of the day.
So, it is up to OP to decide what sort of standards to have regarding this watch.
Don’t dismiss opinions which are different to yours.


If the watch had sentimental value to me I would send it to Rolliworks to restore the case.
I would not polish because it would not help much anyway.
__________________
IG: @watch_idiot_savant
Verdi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 12:44 PM   #16
quilge
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 4
The scratches and dents don't look as bad in regular light as they do in the photos. Maybe I'll get it polished, I'm not planning on selling it. I'd like to get the bracelet repaired. Are replacement parts still made for something of this age? The bracelet is a bit stretched out and and the end links don't always sit flush with the case.
quilge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 01:14 PM   #17
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member
 
MorningTundra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Real Name: Morningtundra
Location: USA, UK & HKG
Watch: Old. Mechanical.
Posts: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
You can polish scratches, you cannot polish dents.
High standards, polished or unpolished, is a matter of personal preference at the end of the day.
So, it is up to OP to decide what sort of standards to have regarding this watch.
Don’t dismiss opinions which are different to yours.


If the watch had sentimental value to me I would send it to Rolliworks to restore the case.
I would not polish because it would not help much anyway.


I agree, but if you re-read your first post you were quite dismissive of OPs family heirloom. Clearly you don’t suffer fools gladly and think his baby is plain ugly.

Personally, I’d be happy to wear my dads watch, even if you think “someone has hammered on the lugs”, dents, scratches, and all. It’s cool because it’s not mint or faux-old.

And yes OP, the bracelet is easily repaired. As are the scratches and dents. But be prepared to spend about half as much as the watch is worth. Maybe more if you want to restore it to the like-new standards some here expect.


Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 01:21 PM   #18
Tools
TRF Moderator & HARRODS SGE Giveaway Patron
 
Tools's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Real Name: Larry
Location: Mojave Desert
Watch: GMT's
Posts: 38,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by quilge View Post
The scratches and dents don't look as bad in regular light as they do in the photos. Maybe I'll get it polished, I'm not planning on selling it. I'd like to get the bracelet repaired. Are replacement parts still made for something of this age? The bracelet is a bit stretched out and and the end links don't always sit flush with the case.
You're in luck. Rolliworks is in Campbell and specializes in Rolex bracelet repairs.
__________________
(Chill ... It's just a watch Forum.....)
NAWCC Member
Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 01:26 PM   #19
Verdi
"TRF" Member
 
Verdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Real Name: Mitch
Location: Desert
Watch: Orex
Posts: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningTundra View Post
I agree, but if you re-read your first post you were quite dismissive of OPs family heirloom. Clearly you don’t suffer fools gladly and think his baby is plain ugly.

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
You are making assumption about what I think.
If you re-read my post you shall see that I also wrote:
OP you can leave it as it is or go the route of restoring the case with laser welding.

I gave my honest opinion, the case looks battered and I tell it like it is.
But, I see nothing wrong with it if someone wants to keep it as it is, polish it or restore it. It is, as I said, a matter of preference and each individual has a choice.
Personally, I would either leave it as it is or restore it.
__________________
IG: @watch_idiot_savant
Verdi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 01:28 PM   #20
Richard Carver
2020 Pledge Member
 
Richard Carver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: US
Posts: 1,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
Don’t dismiss opinions which are different to yours.

I could certainly say the same to you. :) That watch can be made to look new with very little loss of metal. You judge a case by the position of the lug holes in relation to the case edges. Those holes are still perfectly centered which means little to no metal has ever been removed from that watch.

OP listen to Rolliworks, you'll be OK. :)
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 03:07 PM   #21
Verdi
"TRF" Member
 
Verdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Real Name: Mitch
Location: Desert
Watch: Orex
Posts: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
I could certainly say the same to you. :) That watch can be made to look new with very little loss of metal. :)
I did not dismiss anyone’s opinion. My exact words were “I beg to differ”
Basically, I disagreed and this is based on my experience with vintage watches.

I don’t think at all the watch is ugly. Dial and hands are in good condition and I would even wear it as it is. But I would not polish it. I have seen enough watches butchered by attempting to remove dents.
__________________
IG: @watch_idiot_savant
Verdi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 04:15 PM   #22
Richard Carver
2020 Pledge Member
 
Richard Carver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: US
Posts: 1,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
I did not dismiss anyone’s opinion. My exact words were “I beg to differ”
Basically, I disagreed and this is based on my experience with vintage watches.

I don’t think at all the watch is ugly. Dial and hands are in good condition and I would even wear it as it is. But I would not polish it. I have seen enough watches butchered by attempting to remove dents.
And my opinion is based on my experience. :)
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2020, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.