The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 28 July 2009, 04:07 AM   #1
DimP
"TRF" Member

question regarding Double Red Sea - Dewller

Hello everybody,

I am a proud owner of a Double Red Sea - Dweller. It's is great shape but now it's the time for service (in the local Rolex service center).

As I wrote above, the watch is in great shape; the only visible glitches are a slightly scratched crystal (which I assume it's easy and relatively affordable to replace) and the fact that it goes a little faster than normal (i suppose it can be easily regulated).

My question has to do with the dial. I think the dial is version III (see http://doubleredseadweller.com/dr_dials.htm - great site BTW). Well, the watch is old and now

(a) there must be no tritium left since I don't see it illuminating at night
(b) all the places where tritium was applied are too yellowish, including hands

If you were in my position would you ask to have the dial replaced with something like this http://doubleredseadweller.com/drsd_mark_vii.htm at the Rolex service center? Of course, given the excellent condition of the rest of the watch, that would make it look like new. On the other hand, I understand that the watch may loose some of its great (as I have read) value. That watch means a lot for me and I don't want ever to sell it but I don't want to do something 'degrading' for it as well :-). If I go for the change, I will probably have to change the hand as well, right?

Is there any way for the service center to put tritium over the existing spots and make it like new?

(And finally) if I opt for the replacement, can I keep everything that is removed from the watch (i.e. dial, hands) or it becomes automatically courtesy of Rolex?

I would really appreciate your input...
DimP is offline   Reply With Quote