The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 October 2016, 02:36 PM   #1
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
How important is the movement when deciding on a Rolex?

I have caught DateJust II itus; can't stop thinking about it. I especially like the new DJ41 released at Basel this year, one of the attractive features to me was the new 3235 movement. I seriously considered picking one up, but in the end, decided I really want the SS version. Nothing at all against TT owners, they are gorgeous watches, but after much soul-searching have decided I am a SS guy. So, I anxiously await Basel 2017 to see if they will release the SS version DJ41 BUT....

I was speaking with the manager of an AD (not my normal one) yesterday while on a quick business trip. They told me the rumor (yeah, I know, and even the manager admitted no one knows for sure what/when will be released by Rolex) is that the SS DJ41 will NOT be released until at least 2018 This got me thinking... IF, that turns out to be true, then my dilemma is get the SS DJII or wait another year (or longer) until they release the SS model with the new movement. What it really came down to was is it a big deal to have the old(er) movement. Being an Engineer I usually have to have the latest and greatest, but should that really deter me from buying the watch I want? No one sees the inside of your Rolex.....

Is anyone else swayed or deterred from buying a particular watch because the movement is not the most recent?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 02:47 PM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I'm in a tiny minority here, but for practical daily use I prefer a well-regulated Top Grade ETA. I can speed up or slow down with overnight positioning so that I rarely need to set the watch. My Tudors can go months at a time and keep within, say, 20 seconds fast or slow like that. My modern Rolex movements won't do that, but my older ones (15xx) will. So my answer is no
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 02:51 PM   #3
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I'm in a tiny minority here, but for practical daily use I prefer a well-regulated Top Grade ETA. I can speed up or slow down with overnight positioning so that I rarely need to set the watch. My Tudors can go months at a time and keep within, say, 20 seconds fast or slow like that. My modern Rolex movements won't do that, but my older ones (15xx) will. So my answer is no
Wow, this is interesting news Adam, thanks. Honestly I can't find much on the difference between the DJII and newer movement, can't be anything like a new parachrom spring or major advancement... ? Well, let's hope Rolex come through next March and I won't have to make this decision
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 03:00 PM   #4
Timesurfer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Daytona BLNR
Lets just say its an important factor..... it depends if there are significant improvements or the movement going to in house for instance and if that will have a positive impact such as its dependability, power reserve, desireability, etc.
Timesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 03:48 PM   #5
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
I've read much the same thing, that while an in house movement is a testament to the technical expertise and craftsmanship of the manufacturer, a top of the line ETA movement is reliable, accurate and a great value.
Old 23 October 2016, 04:03 PM   #6
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
Something to be said for a proven, reliable, robust movement. Sometimes bugs need to be worked out on a new movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 04:12 PM   #7
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
Something to be said for a proven, reliable, robust movement. Sometimes bugs need to be worked out on a new movement.

Like the date changing slowly on the new dd40 movement
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 04:24 PM   #8
rouxeny
"TRF" Member

I would suspect that the majority of people that buy Rolexes, and maybe even on this forum, have no particular interest in exactly what movement is in their watch.

In-house and cosc are probably adequate.
rouxeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 05:02 PM   #9
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

Really what you are asking is if it is worth waiting for the SS DJ41 or get a DJII now. First of all, the AD admitted he doesn't know what he is talking about, but it still got you thinking didn't it? How many DJIIs does he have to sell you? For me, the differences between the DJII and DJ41 are more than just the movement. I think the new movement is just icing on the cake. The real reason I'm waiting is purely the styling. I just can't like the DJII. Just feels 'off' to me. I have yet to see the DJ41 in person but it just looks so much more of what I want a DJ to be. If Rolex decides to wait another year to bring out the SS DJ41 then they won't get my money on a DJII in its place. I'll just spend my money elsewhere. I very much expect Rolex to bring out the DJ41 at Basel 17. It just seems odd they would want to keep their best selling watch line jumbled up for another year. I really expected the SS to come out with the TT. If they had Rolex might already have my money.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 05:30 PM   #10
toneafficianado
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

i wouldn't be swayed by the movement being the newest. They will both be new and under warranty.
I have a few year old BLNR and a three year old Explorer II and they are fabulously accurate but you have to add the caveat "for a mechanical watch!"
They definitely aren't as accurate as the ETA quartz powered Tag and Longines all of which I sold to help fund my small Rolex collection.
Those watches would stay in time for months in the drawer and do so even when the second hands started jumping to indicate Low Battery status.
I have proved that mechanical isn't asd accurate as quartz but I know this is hardly news.

It doesn't mean I am selling my Rolexes. I love them!
Kudos to Seiko however for their work in making the Grand Seikos even more accurate than most mechanicals. Imagine the difficult decision you would have if you were buying a Seiko as they have so many movement types available.

I have an SKX 009. Accuracy is not its strong point but it looks great!
I bought it on its visual appeal and didn't care so much which movement it had.

I advise just grabbing the DJ II that you love the look of the most.
For me that's the blue dial with fluted bezel.
toneafficianado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 05:39 PM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Have to agree and only main difference in the so called new movements is the PR but average 48 hours in say the cal 3135 is perfectly adequate.And sometime new is not always better, give me a well proven movement with many years of service history over any so called new movement.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 05:48 PM   #12
Cru Jones

How about picking up a good condition used DJII from a TRF seller to limit/eliminate the the flipper's tax when flipping for the SS DJ41 at end-2017 or end-2018?
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 05:51 PM   #13
77T

The movement in my 50 y.o. Omega, and the one in my 45 y.o. 1803 are adjusted to less than a minute a week in normal use. So the latest movements aren't the deciding factor for me.
Rather it is having access to a Master CW21 who can regulate.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 05:57 PM   #14
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

For me, the movement in a modern Rolex isn't very important.
Old 23 October 2016, 07:09 PM   #15
henry333
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Just like new model car on the first year..usually more chance of problems
henry333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 07:18 PM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
How about picking up a good condition used DJII from a TRF seller to limit/eliminate the the flipper's tax when flipping for the SS DJ41 at end-2017 or end-2018?
Solid advice.

A thread without pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (70.4 KB, 492 views)
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 08:22 PM   #17
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Not really, even given Rolex's previous timekeeping standard of +6/-4 to the more recent and higher standard of +2/-2 seconds per day. Even at the previous standard it is more than accurate for my timekeeping needs. Accuracy aside, the power reserve is something to consider if you have a rotation of watches to wear.

The question is, what matters most to you in a mechincal movement? Do you follow your heart or your head.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 08:58 PM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutats View Post
Not really, even given Rolex's previous timekeeping standard of +6/-4 to the more recent and higher standard of +2/-2 seconds per day. Even at the previous standard it is more than accurate for my timekeeping needs. Accuracy aside, the power reserve is something to consider if you have a rotation of watches to wear.

The question is, what matters most to you in a mechincal movement? Do you follow your heart or your head.
Truth be told all the Rolex movements are still tested at the COSC to a AVERAGE of -4+6 seconds to get the COSC certification.Rolex further then regulates on a timing machine to the new AVERAGE -2+2 spec.What this means in the real world at time of testing the movement passed said spec.This does not mean it will perform exactly the same every day for life.And agree if any movement can perform within a few seconds either way out of 86400 in a day then yes it is a mechanical marvel.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 09:24 PM   #19
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I'd never heard this. Would you be willing to post a thread on how and why this works?

MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 09:29 PM   #20
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningTundra View Post
I'd never heard this. Would you be willing to post a thread on how and why this works?

Overnight positioning? Rolex used to recommed it back in the days when it worked for their movements.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (163.7 KB, 420 views)
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 09:52 PM   #21
Flywheel
"TRF" Member

My Datejust II keeps ridiculously accurate time. Best of the bunch and the most comfortable.
Flywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 10:26 PM   #22
THC

Watch: 16610M
The watch model, yes, movements no..I love Rolex because I know they have already labored over each and every movement they have made. :
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 10:29 PM   #23
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
One of the reasons I sold my DD2 was because of the new movement and better power reserve of the 40. However the design and feel of the watch would sway me more given that I trust all Rolex movements are of a similar high quality and all can be regulated to within an inch of their lives.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 10:32 PM   #24
firstOwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 20th Moon, ND Sub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
Like the date changing slowly on the new dd40 movement
firstOwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 10:37 PM   #25
firstOwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 20th Moon, ND Sub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry333 View Post
Just like new model car on the first year..usually more chance of problems
81 MBZ 380SL
firstOwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 10:40 PM   #26
ragingcao
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha talking about?
I like new and improved in almost anything
ragingcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 10:48 PM   #27
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
My Datejust II is four days old and still spot on! Not even 1 second off. As far as fit and finish, it's perfect. I have had just about every Rolex available at one time or another throughout the years, and this DJII with fluted bezel is perfect on me!
Watchgeek5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 10:54 PM   #28
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
There will always be something newer and better coming down the lane. For me, if the current movement is reliable and I love the watch, then it is a go.

I am not someone who continually waits for the next big thing. I buy and enjoy, and if a newer model comes out, so be it.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 11:11 PM   #29
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
I'm not sold on "newer equals better". I'll take something proven to be accurate and durable over the long term, above something new and theoretically better. Of course, Rolex has never produced a crappy movement.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 11:35 PM   #30
regnant
"TRF" Member

I would not flip my two DJ II watches in favor of increased power reserve to 3235 movement. These two provide me 48 hours power reserve and it's enough for me to use each of these in rotation.
However, I still envy of 3235's almost 3 days reserve

Tags
movement , wwyd