The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 10 June 2012, 11:14 PM   #1
texex91
"TRF" Member

Icon2 AP 44mm. Comments & Pics Please.

Okay for those of you lucky enough to own (or tried on) a new 44mm ROOC, I wanted to get your thoughts on size, weight and comfort (and anything else).

For background I do tend to like bigger (owned PAM 372 and it was perfect), even with a 6.75 inch wrist. I have not pulled Panda trigger due to strap comfort...Mike (and bracelet version is out--want a strap).

I especially like the 26400SO.

I know there are many of you out there, so pls post away.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 02:36 AM   #2
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
The 44mm ROO's actually wears great..a bit like the Diver more flat to your wrist.
Myself has warmed up on the stick index now but it took me a while.

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 02:58 AM   #3
texex91
"TRF" Member

Thomas you are making me drool already
Old 11 June 2012, 03:23 AM   #4
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Thomas.. Just curious.. Which one is your pick out of the three? 18k, FC or the SS?

I tried all three.. It was a tough choice. However a choice I no regret. I picked the SS.

During my shopping and "test drive", comfort wise, the FC is the best of all. Very light and fit me perfectly. (btw all three 44 fits very well on my small wrist despite I need a short strap). I didn't pick the FC because this time round i am not looking for an everyday watch so comfort is not my priority and I am not looking for a stealthy watch either. You really need to sit down and take a closer look at the FC 44 to really appreciate the contrast of so many different shade of black, it really makes the watch a great piece to own if you want something special.

I find the 18k's dial the best for telling time with the rose gold hands set a very good contrast against the black dial. If you want people to know you are wearing an expensive watch, this is it. It is very flashy in a very sophisticated way. I almost ended up this piece however, it is VERY heavy, maybe too heavy for my weekends activities. Plus I already own a 18k ROO RC so might be a tad too similar.

I chose the SS. The weight is ok. The dial has good contrast (more 'straight forward' WOW! compared to the FC sophisticated/hidden wow wOWWW factor). The hour and min hands are not as clear as the other two so sometime it is hard to tell the time that reminds me of my rolex daytona. I was looking for a "fun" watch for the weekends. Compared to the FC and the 18k, the SS just look more casual more fun and that's what I am shopping for this time. ;)

Good luck and happy shopping. Cheers! .. Jen
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 03:37 AM   #5
jmusser3r
"TRF" Member

I just recently tried on the new FC 44mm and loved it. Great size and I was amazed at how light and comfortable it was on the wrist. Here's a shot of it.
jmusser3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 03:54 AM   #6
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post

I chose the SS. The weight is ok. The dial has good contrast (more 'straight forward' WOW! compared to the FC sophisticated/hidden wow wOWWW factor). The hour and min hands are not as clear as the other two so sometime it is hard to tell the time that reminds me of my rolex daytona. I was looking for a "fun" watch for the weekends. Compared to the FC and the 18k, the SS just look more casual more fun and that's what I am shopping for this time. ;)

Great write up Jennifer.

I too am leaning towards SS--for many of the same reason you stated. Am a little disaapointed at the ease of telling time, but I'm sure like the Daytona, it just takes time.

BUT, that carbon---ohhhh now we are talking.
Old 11 June 2012, 04:38 AM   #7
djtheot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIC
I tried on the 44 carbon recently very nearly pulled the trigger, It wears great and v comfortable and light. it sat big on my wrist but without looking silly. Great depth to the dial.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339353485.464716.jpg
djtheot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 04:46 AM   #8
Andrés G
"TRF" Member

The carbon is my favorite and fits my 6.75" very well.
Andrés G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 04:54 AM   #9
TSW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
Thomas.. Just curious.. Which one is your pick out of the three? 18k, FC or the SS?

I tried all three.. It was a tough choice. However a choice I no regret. I picked the SS.

During my shopping and "test drive", comfort wise, the FC is the best of all. Very light and fit me perfectly. (btw all three 44 fits very well on my small wrist despite I need a short strap). I didn't pick the FC because this time round i am not looking for an everyday watch so comfort is not my priority and I am not looking for a stealthy watch either. You really need to sit down and take a closer look at the FC 44 to really appreciate the contrast of so many different shade of black, it really makes the watch a great piece to own if you want something special.

I find the 18k's dial the best for telling time with the rose gold hands set a very good contrast against the black dial. If you want people to know you are wearing an expensive watch, this is it. It is very flashy in a very sophisticated way. I almost ended up this piece however, it is VERY heavy, maybe too heavy for my weekends activities. Plus I already own a 18k ROO RC so might be a tad too similar.

Jen,

My pick would be the FC...as i do need a Carbon in my collection and the Steel one is too similar to the Panda i recently traded.
The RG is stunning in all ways just a bit to pricey if you ask me.

AP Owners Club
Old 11 June 2012, 05:01 AM   #10
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

44mm Offshores always look amazing in the pictures, but my reaction when trying them on is always the same...too big for my 7" wrist. For me its the thickness that's the issue more so than the diameter. I wear my 44mm Panerai Luminor (177) all the time.

I'm staying with the either the 15400/15300 or ROC.

I haven't tried the diver, though.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 05:05 AM   #11
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I thought the 44mm size was a little too big for my 6.5" wrist. The 42mm is already borderline for me. However you guys are making me rethink the size in which case a RB2 or 44mm SS ROO would be on my list.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 05:14 AM   #12
TSW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I thought the 44mm size was a little too big for my 6.5" wrist. The 42mm is already borderline for me. However you guys are making me rethink the size in which case a RB2 or 44mm SS ROO would be on my list.
Go RB2 all the way Mike!!!

Having insane cravings for one myself

AP Owners Club
Old 11 June 2012, 05:19 AM   #13
onkyo
Banned

I had a choice of any 44 mm ROO and chose the steel. I like the weight better than the carbon though I did like the stealth look of the all black carbon. You can't go wrong with any of them. I do recommend trying each on....

I am wearing my steel 44 mm this weekend.

onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 05:28 AM   #14
texex91
"TRF" Member

Oh you guys are killing me
Old 11 June 2012, 05:34 AM   #15
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
It's just perfect. Here's a comparison next to my diver. I absolutely love how good it wears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0755 copy.JPG (211.1 KB, 615 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0758 copy.jpg (89.9 KB, 600 views)

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 06:05 AM   #16
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
It's just perfect. Here's a comparison next to my diver. I absolutely love how good it wears.
Has your name all over it Hal. You're a 7.5" wrist right?
Old 11 June 2012, 06:17 AM   #17
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hal -

What were your impressions on the 44mm Carbon 26400AU if you had an oppty to try it on?
Old 11 June 2012, 10:31 AM   #18
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Okay for those of you lucky enough to own (or tried on) a new 44mm ROOC, I wanted to get your thoughts on size, weight and comfort (and anything else).

For background I do tend to like bigger (owned PAM 372 and it was perfect), even with a 6.75 inch wrist. I have not pulled Panda trigger due to strap comfort...Mike (and bracelet version is out--want a strap).

I especially like the 26400SO.

I know there are many of you out there, so pls post away.
Here's my take...

The 44mm carbon feels fantastic, but I also feel it's a hefty price to pay for a "blacked out" watch. I personally like a bit more pop and it seems to be a touch too stealth.

The SS version is really nice, but a friend had commented that the Panda I was wearing popped more due to the "redline" colors.

If the hornback is uncomfortable for you as they need to break in, maybe try on the Singapore F1 strap (which is what I wear it with)
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2012, 01:53 AM   #19
EdChoi
"TRF" Member

You've already seen some of the pics I've posted on the 44mms, and you already know how much I love these pieces.

For me, I don't think wrist size is the most important factor.

In terms of how it looks on your wrist, I think the size of your forearm is equally important.

I have "skinny" wrists by normal standards, on the regular strap, I have it on the 2nd to last loop. But at the risk of sounding weird, I have large forearms and a decent sized bicep/tri combo.

So in my pictures, it may look disproportionate, but overall, when I wear a short sleeved shirt, it doesn't look outrageously big.

As for the look, for me, my 40mm daytona and 42mm IWCs suit me well in terms of providing a sleek under the radar look.

When I wear my APs, I don't mind it having a presence.

Regarding steel vs carbon, well again, you know how I feel on that, get both!

I think it is highly subjective, but for me, the steel version was more conservative than the carbon.

There are many many steel cased pieces that are much shinier. The diver in steel is far more eye popping than the steel model. The 44mm steel bezel looks almost like a rubber clad until you are outside and when sunlight or a light source hits it, that's when it really pops.

The steel is heavy, which you already know, but because of the rubber strap, it's weight balance is all in the case, so when you wear it, unless it is tightly strapped to the wrist, all the weight will fall close to that wrist bone, with the seconds chronograph pusher being the hammer so to speak.

The reason I say the carbon is a louder piece, is because there are three layers of black on the piece. You are a porsche guy, so you'll get this analogy. Most all black watches are like arctic silver, just one tone of color hue. But this piece has so many different takes on "black" it is like the GT silver.

Each layer pops in a different light. In bright sunlight, the carbon case and the bezel are the stars of the show.

In daylight conditions with obstructed light, the detail on the dial shines.

In darker areas, the screws and the white gold markers steal the show.

Simply put, the FC is not an all black watch.

The FC shines more from a distance than the steel does. Surprising yes.

The FC takes and refracts light with all it's different materials and textures, whereas the steel absorbs that light to reveal its detail. (the different finishings on the steel case, the white dial detail etc..)

I wear the FC daily, with suits, casual etc.. The steel I wear more sparingly.

For me, I find the steel model to almost conflict with my daytona in terms of daily wear and overall feel when you wear it. Sure the detail and beauty of the AP trumps the daytona by a mile, but you get a similar visceral experience when you look down at the time.

I think the other consideration is how the pieces complement or detract from other pieces in your collection. For me, there are certain pieces that I know will stay in the collection, and it's all about creating a good rotation of pieces to keep you happy.

Hope these thoughts helped, I'm probably going to do a pictorial and writeup comparing the two watches soon lol.

My plans, as of now, are to keep the FC, and as soon as my order for a VC Overseas Dualtime in white arrives, move the 44mm steel.

Wow, that was a lot of rambling above. To put it concisely...

The steel model tries to be multiple different watch looks at once. At times, it looks sharp and clean, other times it looks sporty. It does every look very well. A better all around piece.

The FC does "black" in a way I've never seen before and does it brilliantly.
Old 12 June 2012, 01:53 AM   #20
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14roller View Post
I personally like a bit more pop and it seems to be a touch too stealth.
That's why I went with the Bumblebee.
Old 12 June 2012, 01:57 AM   #21
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emyungjin View Post

I think it is highly subjective, but for me, the steel version was more conservative than the carbon.

There are many many steel cased pieces that are much shinier. The diver in steel is far more eye popping than the steel model. The 44mm steel bezel looks almost like a rubber clad until you are outside and when sunlight or a light source hits it, that's when it really pops.

The steel is heavy, which you already know, but because of the rubber strap, it's weight balance is all in the case, so when you wear it, unless it is tightly strapped to the wrist, all the weight will fall close to that wrist bone, with the seconds chronograph pusher being the hammer so to speak.

The reason I say the carbon is a louder piece, is because there are three layers of black on the piece. You are a porsche guy, so you'll get this analogy. Most all black watches are like arctic silver, just one tone of color hue. But this piece has so many different takes on "black" it is like the GT silver.

Each layer pops in a different light. In bright sunlight, the carbon case and the bezel are the stars of the show.

The FC takes and refracts light with all it's different materials and textures, whereas the steel absorbs that light to reveal its detail. (the different finishings on the steel case, the white dial detail etc..)

For me, I find the steel model to almost conflict with my daytona in terms of daily wear and overall feel when you wear it. Sure the detail and beauty of the AP trumps the daytona by a mile, but you get a similar visceral experience when you look down at the time.

I think the other consideration is how the pieces complement or detract from other pieces in your collection. For me, there are certain pieces that I know will stay in the collection, and it's all about creating a good rotation of pieces to keep you happy.
What he said...

Not really all black
Old 12 June 2012, 02:13 AM   #22
EdChoi
"TRF" Member

Oh what's the saying? Picture is worth 1000 words? I should've saved myself the trouble!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (200.3 KB, 528 views)
Old 12 June 2012, 03:22 AM   #23
texex91
"TRF" Member

Thanks Eddie for the detailed review!

Most of your points are things that I am trying to think through.

The color variation on the black and the layers you discussed are amazing I can only imagine.

This would be worn in the rotation pretty heavy, so your comments on comfort are key considerations for me as well. I can appreciate the stainless weight, but worried about 'top heavy' issue.

I can definitely appreciate how this watch can be dressed up or down.

Mike your BB is what got me all into the carbon to begin with...love it.

The 44mm black carbon is drop dead gorgeous to me.
Old 12 June 2012, 06:42 AM   #24
texex91
"TRF" Member

Just doing a little hunting--and finding out pretty short order that is NOT an easy watch to find.

Eddie, yes that last picture is worth $36500 words to be exact

BEAUTIFUL
Old 12 June 2012, 10:19 AM   #25
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Has your name all over it Hal. You're a 7.5" wrist right?
Correcto!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Hal -

What were your impressions on the 44mm Carbon 26400AU if you had an oppty to try it on?
I personally admire the carbon pieces but they are not for me. I need a heavy watch to feel I am in control. The carbon is lovely though!!

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2012, 10:24 AM   #26
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I need a heavy watch to feel I am in control.
I can appreciate that
Old 12 June 2012, 08:57 PM   #27
997.2TTS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datograph up/dn RG
Quote:
Originally Posted by emyungjin View Post
You've already seen some of the pics I've posted on the 44mms, and you already know how much I love these pieces.

For me, I don't think wrist size is the most important factor.

In terms of how it looks on your wrist, I think the size of your forearm is equally important.

I have "skinny" wrists by normal standards, on the regular strap, I have it on the 2nd to last loop. But at the risk of sounding weird, I have large forearms and a decent sized bicep/tri combo.

So in my pictures, it may look disproportionate, but overall, when I wear a short sleeved shirt, it doesn't look outrageously big.

As for the look, for me, my 40mm daytona and 42mm IWCs suit me well in terms of providing a sleek under the radar look.

When I wear my APs, I don't mind it having a presence.

Hope these thoughts helped, I'm probably going to do a pictorial and writeup comparing the two watches soon lol.

My plans, as of now, are to keep the FC, and as soon as my order for a VC Overseas Dualtime in white arrives, move the 44mm steel.

Wow, that was a lot of rambling above. To put it concisely...

The steel model tries to be multiple different watch looks at once. At times, it looks sharp and clean, other times it looks sporty. It does every look very well. A better all around piece.

The FC does "black" in a way I've never seen before and does it brilliantly.
Thanks again for the write up Eddie! You've been extremely helpful. It's been difficult for me to decide.. but in the end, I may do what you did and get both! I'm a bit new to APs, and think I owe it to myself to take a look at the RB2 everyone is talking about. No idea where to find one though..

Texex, good luck! We're in similar shoes, and it's a great! It's always the hunt that's exciting!
997.2TTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2012, 09:06 PM   #28
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997.2TTS View Post
Thanks again for the write up Eddie! You've been extremely helpful. It's been difficult for me to decide.. but in the end, I may do what you did and get both!

Texex, good luck! We're in similar shoes, and it's a great! It's always the hunt that's exciting!
The black carbon is an absolutely stunning AP piece.

It's going to be a fun day I have a feeling.

I so see this watch in your collection Hoyt
Old 12 June 2012, 10:34 PM   #29
997.2TTS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datograph up/dn RG
Thanks Paul! Are you still torn between the CF and steel version? I plan on visiting the AD once more before deciding.. problem is, the steel one may be gone. I was told they sell a bit quicker than the CF
997.2TTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2012, 11:12 PM   #30
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997.2TTS View Post
Thanks Paul! Are you still torn between the CF and steel version? I plan on visiting the AD once more before deciding.. problem is, the steel one may be gone. I was told they sell a bit quicker than the CF
I am sticking with CF...I think.

Based upon weight, stealth, black tones, unique, etc.

We'll see

Let us know what you decide