The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 20 April 2009, 07:10 AM   #1
stnmikita
"TRF" Member

Help Me Understand Audemars Piguet

I seriously do not get it.

Particularly their sports models. I've looked at their watches and find them to be visually fine, although not exceptional (the bolted stop-sign bezel is not attractive at all IMO) and I'm sure they run every bit as reliably as most Swiss movements, but I just do not get them at all. When I see a Royal Oak for sale on one of the sites, it will be going for something like $35,000.....used!

Someone please explain.

stnmikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 07:13 AM   #2
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
I can't. They are OK, but just OK. Perhaps it is my ignorance, lack or horological education, or even lack of "taste", but I would never lay down K$$$ for one. I don't understand it either.

No offense RO lovers. Educate us please.
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 07:14 AM   #3
abr68
Banned

Watch: view my signature
Many reasons, but wrong site to discuss

THERE ARE MANY REASONS.

Why didn´t you either ask for PP ?

Guess you can discuss that in the "open" forum
abr68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 07:16 AM   #4
clew84
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soar
+1 here. If I went by looks alone it wouldn't be my choice at all. However, I can say that about a lot of expensive items that someone else treasures. To each their own they say. I don't think the RO or the ROO is for me.
Autodromo Prototipo
clew84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 07:17 AM   #5
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr68 View Post
THERE ARE MANY REASONS.

Why didn´t you either ask for PP ?

Guess you can discuss that in the "open" forum
Uhhhh!? PP......?????

I didn't have to go right then!

Old 20 April 2009, 07:30 AM   #6
abr68
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
Uhhhh!? PP...... I didn't have to go right then!

Sorry guys, we are speaking about watches which are mainly situated in a different "league"....
AP and also PP for sure are doing such significant and brilliant watchmaker work which maybe our tech experts as well as mods. can comment.
Was able to visit both AP and PP and this is more than impressive, woowww
For some of their single pieces of the movement they are working "ages"
JUST GREAT!
And ask a watchmaker which the top 3 brands are he would like to get his HIGH LEVEL education.
At least "mine" are saying PP and PP + .......
Old 20 April 2009, 07:33 AM   #7
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr68 View Post
Sorry guys, we are speaking about watches which are mainly situated in a different "league"....
AP and also PP for sure are doing such significant and brilliant watchmaker work which maybe our tech experts as well as mods. can comment.
Was able to visit both AP and PP and this is more than impressive, woowww
For some of their single pieces of the movement they are working "ages"
JUST GREAT!
And ask a watchmaker which the top 3 brands are he would like to get his HIGH LEVEL education.
At least "mine" are saying PP and PP + .......
Well, I know you 100% correct!!!!

So I am opening my mouth and speaking my ignorance. Mostly tongue and cheek though!

I would indeed love to tour a high end AP or PP site and just see the work on those movements. Lucky you!
Old 20 April 2009, 08:11 AM   #8
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Hold one, wind one, examine it closely, put it on your wrist. If you still don't get it, no worries.
I happen to think they make magnificent watches of incredible quality. You may feel otherwise, though your post suggests you've not handled them...correct?

A used Royal Oak for $35,000?
You can buy a brand new 15300 for under $10,000.
Old 20 April 2009, 08:19 AM   #9
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
I have no doubt that the AP and PP, etc. are fabulous watches. The craftsmanship, movements and materials are fantastic. That said, they just don't move me. They don't call my name. They don't make me smile. I look and say, that's nice, and move on. I definitely respect the brands and understand why people like them. But like they say, to each their own, or beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

FcB
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 08:31 AM   #10
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Whilst I don't doubt for a second the fine craftsmanship on an AP Royal Oak, visually, they leave me cold. I'd personally prefer the classic looks of a Patek myself, I think their range is the definition of "effortlessly classy".
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 08:59 AM   #11
iwantagmt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
I don't really get it either, I tried on the 15300 in SF 3 weeks ago, which was my first encounter with AP. I was in awe of the rarity of getting to see them and try them on, but was not super impressed other than that. They are exclusive, yes, but technically exclusivity is a condition of a market, and not directly a characteristic of the watch.

Honestly though I don't get VC either. I am really surprised that their current line uses index regulators on their movements, with the exception of the special models. Tried on the VC Overseas and Patrimony also when in SF.

I LOVE Lange however!
iwantagmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 09:22 AM   #12
abr68
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantagmt View Post
I don't really get it either, I tried on the 15300 in SF 3 weeks ago, which was my first encounter with AP. I was in awe of the rarity of getting to see them and try them on, but was not super impressed other than that. They are exclusive, yes, but technically exclusivity is a condition of a market, and not directly a characteristic of the watch.

Honestly though I don't get VC either. I am really surprised that their current line uses index regulators on their movements, with the exception of the special models. Tried on the VC Overseas and Patrimony also when in SF.

I LOVE Lange however!

Guys,
I do not want to speak on my Collection.
Was in the lucky position to have a personal view when some of my watches have been produced
If you know and see that a PP i.e. has in some cases more than 400 handmade pieces inside you have the 1st explanation!
If you are speaking on AP you are just speaking on the standard CURRENT RO which is annoying. They have a history of fine craftmanship and excellent watches (even some of the current ones) which are unbeatable. Look at all the complications / Turbillions etc... WOWWWW
Fully agree on Lange as well! I met a few times and do own some. Was invited for a whole week to Glashütte and that really was more than fun. It was pure fascination
Remember you are discussing here the last REAL brands independant from some giants doing there business quite successful and also on a quality level which is more or less unbeatable
Want to bring also another one in which is IWC. If I look at the older ones as well as some pieces such as the "Grande Complication" which I luckily own THERE IS NO WAY TO COMPARE THAT WITH ANY OTHER BRAND.
It doesn´t mean that I am a full Rolex lover, especially on the Vintages. But only one word to say: NOTING TO COMPARE AS MENTIONED ABOVE.
Great Sunday
Axel
Old 20 April 2009, 09:43 AM   #13
BeeMee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIC
Back in 1995, I took my Rolex DD to the RSC in New York for a regular service and polishing. The RSC told my that the President Band on my 16 year old DD was worn out and they refused to polish it. They wanted to sell me a new band for $7250 and I refused. They serviced the watch and returned the watch and band to me, but the band was not even attached to the watch. I can tell you that I was thoroughly disgusted with them.

I took my DD to an AD and they advised that while the band was worn, they did not feel that it was in any danger of breaking anytime soon. As a result, I decided to buy a new watch for everyday wear and wear my DD one or two days a month.

Because I was so angry with Rolex, I decided that I would not buy another one as my everyday watch. I looked at hundereds of different watches and kept coming back to the AP Royal Oak. I read a lot about the company and spoke to several jewelers who specialized in watches and the company received great comments on their quality and attention to detail. I compared the workmanship on the AP Royal Oak band and Rolex Oyster and Jubilee bands because of my experience with my DD band. There was absolutely no question that the AP band was far superior to the Rolex bands. The finish on the watch itself was also superior. I totally agree with "boa2's" comments above.

Based on this, I purchased my automatic TT AP Royal Oak date watch as my new everyday watch.

I still love my AP, but I now wear it more as a dress watch than as an everyday watch. You can see from my signature that I have purchased several additional watches, included two Rolexes. I recently purchased my Rolex GMT IIC, but did consider a new SS AP watch. The biggest problems I see with AP watches is that they are expensive to purchase and do not have very good resale values. In addition, the AP service department is not particularly consumer friendly and not every watchmaker is equipped to work on them.

Some people do not like the appearance of the AP watches, but that is a personal preference. Some models may be "hot" right now, but in a few years they will be relatively less expensive on the resale market.
Rolex Day-Date, Bark Finish (recently gifted to son #2)
Rolex Daytona, 18K/SS (recently gifted to son #1)
BeeMee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 10:00 AM   #14
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnmikita View Post
I seriously do not get it.

Particularly their sports models. I've looked at their watches and find them to be visually fine, although not exceptional (the bolted stop-sign bezel is not attractive at all IMO) and I'm sure they run every bit as reliably as most Swiss movements, but I just do not get them at all. When I see a Royal Oak for sale on one of the sites, it will be going for something like $35,000.....used!

Someone please explain.

If you don't get it, you don't get it. You can't talk someone into loving a watch. Once you handle one, you'll see that Rolex and AP are different animals - and that's just from feeling the bracelet.

You're probably looking at the LE ROOs at that price, which are damn near impossible to purchase. If I walked into an AD with cash for one, I'd be turned away. If I went to an AP boutique, same story. They're hard to get and command premiums.

Production numbers for AP as a whole are tiny compared to any Rolex. 25,000 TOTAL (for 09) produced compared to god-knows-how-many Rolex (a million?).
Old 20 April 2009, 10:46 AM   #15
stnmikita
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boa2 View Post
Hold one, wind one, examine it closely, put it on your wrist. If you still don't get it, no worries.
I happen to think they make magnificent watches of incredible quality. You may feel otherwise, though your post suggests you've not handled them...correct?

A used Royal Oak for $35,000?
You can buy a brand new 15300 for under $10,000.
Here's the last one I happened across:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...=4405130&rid=0
Old 20 April 2009, 10:50 AM   #16
stnmikita
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys for the input.

It sounds a lot like it's coming down to some history, some craftsmanship, some personal preference, and some prestige.

I've not personally held one or tried one on so my impressions come from pure speculation. Still I've yet to see or hear anything that would lead me to believe this was a vastly superior product worthy of the premium pricing it seems to carry.

No offense to the AP lovers, it's apparently just not my bag.