The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 12 January 2010, 09:07 AM   #91
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513s
Found two on ebay.

one at $48k and the other at $178k (Interwatches always overprice their watches)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLEX-SUBMARINER...6#ht_808wt_958

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLEX-Submariner...#ht_3348wt_958
Old 12 January 2010, 09:09 AM   #92
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjp6 View Post
Found two on ebay.

one at $48k and the other at $178k (Interwatches always overprice their watches)

The one at 48K hasn't moved and hasn't even had any offers. I think its because someone put a horrible bevel on the case.
Old 12 January 2010, 09:11 AM   #93
haitek

Watch: Citizen quartz ;-)
Drsd

Thanks for that Mike. I really didn't know it may be that valuable. I really need a new guitar, this may be the ticket.................a

Quote:
Abi, I guess one really needs to view recent sales of comparable watches but I'll take a guess somewhere more than $30K but not sure of the more...
Old 12 January 2010, 09:28 AM   #94
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by haitek View Post
Hey ParisDakarBmw!

I bought the watch new from a Rolex dealer in Hobart, Tasmania in the early 1970's. It has circumnavigated the globe a couple of times on my wrist. I never took it off for many years. It has always kept good time, to a couple of seconds per year. I dove (dived) with it many times and never had any issues.

Regards,
Abi Nathan
From your picture (it's not very close) it looks like a Mark IV dial. The serial number doesn't go with that dial. It could be a Mark V. Not sure. It doesn't look like a Mark 1 or 2 from the picture. It could be a 3. The case back is a "Big Oyster". On your caseback, the text that says "Rolex Patent"......the R in Rolex has a serif at the bottom from what I can see. Mine doesn't have it and the picture from DoubleRedSeaDweller.com doesn't have it either.

http://doubleredseadweller.com/dr_casebacks.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000305.JPG (118.0 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg P1000307.JPG (39.7 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6441.jpg (87.4 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg Picture%20049.jpg (47.5 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg Picture%20075.jpg (205.4 KB, 221 views)
Old 12 January 2010, 09:43 AM   #95
DadsWatch72
Banned

This R is questionable to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000305.JPG (971 Bytes, 215 views)
Old 12 January 2010, 10:06 AM   #96
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
That's an awesome watch indeed! Wow!

However, I can't really understand a VERY valuable watch being presented in this manner, these days, how difficult is it to get a good picture of the watch inside and out? If I would suddenly find this treasure on my arm, not knowing about it, I guess posting a proper for sale add here on TRF, with an original bracelet and a bit of service would be well worth the money spent for what you get in return...

Just my 2c.
Old 12 January 2010, 10:12 AM   #97
oinkitt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Found two on ebay.

These ebay ones are "pie in the sky" stuff.

The real sort after ones of these are the patent pending mark ones and twos.

A patent pending with all boxes and papers went for 38k on VRM 2 weeks ago.

I would think this one is worth considerbly less.
Old 12 January 2010, 10:30 AM   #98
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
That's an awesome watch indeed! Wow!

However, I can't really understand a VERY valuable watch being presented in this manner, these days, how difficult is it to get a good picture of the watch inside and out? If I would suddenly find this treasure on my arm, not knowing about it, I guess posting a proper for sale add here on TRF, with an original bracelet and a bit of service would be well worth the money spent for what you get in return...

Just my 2c.
He just wants a new guitar I think.
Old 12 January 2010, 10:34 AM   #99
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

I have a 1982 Les Paul Custom Silver burst I will trade..
Old 12 January 2010, 10:48 AM   #100
haitek

Drsd

Thanks for that info DadsWatch72!................a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsWatch72 View Post
From your picture (it's not very close) it looks like a Mark IV dial. The serial number doesn't go with that dial. It could be a Mark V. Not sure. It doesn't look like a Mark 1 or 2 from the picture. It could be a 3. The case back is a "Big Oyster". On your caseback, the text that says "Rolex Patent"......the R in Rolex has a serif at the bottom from what I can see. Mine doesn't have it and the picture from DoubleRedSeaDweller.com doesn't have it either.
Old 12 January 2010, 11:07 AM   #101
haitek

Drsd

Nah! I was really looking for a Gibson Super 400 CES but thanks anyway.....a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDiver View Post
I have a 1982 Les Paul Custom Silver burst I will trade..
Old 12 January 2010, 11:15 AM   #102
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by haitek View Post
Nah! I was really looking for a Gibson Super 400 CES but thanks anyway.....a
Here is one for $12,200.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P_3935_L00.jpg (34.2 KB, 229 views)
Old 12 January 2010, 11:21 AM   #103
DadsWatch72
Banned

Here is a Custom L-5 CES.

This one is about 10 miles from me. Most of the brass jazz instruments are made in my area at Conn-Selmer (Elkhart Indiana).http://www.wwbw.com/Gibson-Custom-L-...-i1149441.wwbw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 343877.jpg (2.7 KB, 227 views)
Old 12 January 2010, 11:29 AM   #104
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

sweet.. I was at a pawn years ago and there was a guy pawning one and they were going to give him US500.. I told him I will give you 1200 .. He said no and that he was going to come back and get it in a week. I bet he did not go back
Old 12 January 2010, 11:33 AM   #105
haitek

Drsd

Very nice!!! But hey! I'll need money for strings and setup etc.,

Quote:
Here is a Custom L-5 CES.

This one is about 10 miles from me. Most of the brass jazz instruments are made in my area at Conn-Selmer (Elkhart Indiana).http://www.wwbw.com/Gibson-Custom-L-...-i1149441.wwbw
Old 12 January 2010, 02:21 PM   #106
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
I tend to agree that getting Rolex to service a watch of this age is a "slippery slope" to say the least. I think (not certain) that the chances/percentages for having them service a watch goes from 1% to a much higher percentage IF the watch was never sold in the aftermarket. For example, my watch was never "sold" to anyone but the original owner. I think this is a hugh factor. If he can establish his was never sold to anyone and that he is the original owner, it will definately increase his chances right off the start. Its not the only thing they will take into account, but its a start. You never know until you try.
DW... I have no idea where you get your information from but it is 100% incorrect (not 99.9%). Rolex does not care or know where a watch has been. They are in the business of selling watches.

And Ari.. be careful who you get advise from on DRSD. There are critics who call every one but their own fake.
Old 12 January 2010, 02:25 PM   #107
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
Found two on ebay.

Pretend that 180k watch does not exist when valuing a DRSD..... Interwatches is not a serious seller.

And the other watch is overpriced as well.

Your watch is probably in the 25-30k range once you make it look pretty.
Old 12 January 2010, 02:31 PM   #108
watchfinder
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX
you didn't buy it new. I knew it.
Old 12 January 2010, 03:28 PM   #109
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkyo View Post
DW... I have no idea where you get your information from but it is 100% incorrect (not 99.9%). Rolex does not care or know where a watch has been. They are in the business of selling watches.

And Ari.. be careful who you get advise from on DRSD. There are critics who call every one but their own fake.
This is the impression I got when I was talking with RUSA on the phone when I had mine serviced in NY. They asked me A LOT of questions about my watch before they said they would service it. Well, they didn't even say service at first. They said to send it to them and they would "take a look at it". I wasn't talking about a newer used Rolex. I'm talking about vintage Rolex. Thats why we are on this particular thread for another vintage watch. Some of the questions they asked me was where I had it serviced the last time. They asked if I have the service warranty from the first service and what the job number was. They asked if I would be the one paying for the service and what the name was on my Credit Card. They asked where I got the watch. They asked if I had the watch serviced anywhere else since it was serviced in 95'. They asked me about the hole in the bracelet. They asked how I lost the bezel. When I sent the watch in to Dallas in 95' I actually sent it back to them after the service was all done because I thought the movement was incorrectly serviced because it didn't have the quick date feature working. I never noticed that I couldn't set the date like that before so I thought it was "wrong". So I sent it back and they took a look at the watch and confirmed it didn't have that feature. Anyway, my point is that I have TWO dates for the service in Dallas in their records. One for 12/95 and one for 1/96. She asked me to explain all of that to her as well. This was all documented in Dallas. Why ask me all of these questions? What I said was...I THINK it mattered to them that I was still the same owner. They could have said no to the service very easily. It doesn't have to be a written rule when it comes to vintage watches. Its at their discretion completely if they give you service, or not.
So I don't think I'm 100% wrong about that but I think I am probably 90% sure that it played a role in my service. You were 100% wrong that they wouldn't service me though.
Old 12 January 2010, 03:38 PM   #110
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

^^
They did some of the same to me. It is almost like they have a hidden agenda,,

In the end they said to old.. If that was the case, they should of known that long before what they did
Old 12 January 2010, 03:43 PM   #111
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
^^
They did some of the same to me. It is almost like they have a hidden agenda,,

In the end they said to old.. If that was the case, they should of known that long before what they did
My point exactly. Why did they service me and not you. I told them....."Hey, I'm not a collector and I didn't have a problem with getting service in 95'." I also told them, "I completely trust Rolex with the watch and wouldn't hold them responsible for the dial during service and pressure testing." I also told them that the watch hadn't been opened since it had been serviced in Dallas by anyone. I think she was a bit shocked and didn't completely believe me when I told her that the bracelet was original.
Old 12 January 2010, 03:47 PM   #112
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My point exactly. Why did they service me and not you. I told them....."Hey, I'm not a collector and I didn't have a problem with getting service in 95'." I also told them, "I completely trust Rolex with the watch and wouldn't hold them responsible for the dial during service and pressure testing."
they think everyone is up to something??
Well I did not tell don't worry about the dial... Maybe they were testing me to how I would react when I saw the pinched gasket

They told me they had concerns about being able to warnt the watch because dust from the dial could make its way into the movement. Far enough, but sell me a bracelet
Old 12 January 2010, 03:52 PM   #113
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
they think everyone is up to something??
Well I did not tell don't worry about the dial... Maybe they were testing me to how I would react when I saw the pinched gasket

They told me they had concerns about being able to warnt the watch because dust from the dial could make its way into the movement. Far enough, but sell me a bracelet
They didn't even sell you a bracelet???? Thats bad.
Old 12 January 2010, 03:57 PM   #114
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Have you read part one of my thead here? http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=109294

Nope.. Over two hours with their agenda and no they would not sell me one.
Old 12 January 2010, 04:10 PM   #115
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Have you read part one of my thead here? http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=109294

Nope.. Over two hours with their agenda and no they would not sell me one.
I don't know what their decision was based on. Didn't they tell you? OHHH, they said it was a replica. Quote: "No such luck and one lady stated it was a replica." They would know. They are one of two places that could tell. As they say, the buck stops there. sorry man. If you want to go over their heads and are sure about the watch, I would contact NYCRSC and talk to a supervisor.
Old 12 January 2010, 04:15 PM   #116
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

At the end, it was watch to old and concerns about the movement. Said to check with AWCI. Much more to come in part 2.. I assume you read.. Yea, sure... two hours to tell me that. No need to do what they did if that was the case. Hidden agenda.. Part 2 to fill in some gaps.
Old 12 January 2010, 04:22 PM   #117
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
At the end, it was watch to old and concerns about the movement. Said to check with AWCI. Much more to come in part 2.. I assume you read.. Yea, sure... two hours to tell me that. No need to do what they did if that was the case. Hidden agenda.. Part 2 to fill in some gaps.
Your watch also has a patina. I think Rolex wants the watch to look new when done and yours wouldn't look new with that patina. That still doesn't explain about the bracelet.
Old 12 January 2010, 04:24 PM   #118
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

^^
That should have been a two min no and go from there..
Old 12 January 2010, 04:34 PM   #119
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
^^
That should have been a two min no and go from there..
If it were my watch and they told me it was a replica, I would have pitched a tent and camped there until I talked with the manager. Then I would have contacted NYC. If I didn't make any progress with them, I would have sent the watch to Geneva. Seriously, I would have.
Old 13 January 2010, 12:52 AM   #120
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If it were my watch and they told me it was a replica, I would have pitched a tent and camped there until I talked with the manager. Then I would have contacted NYC. If I didn't make any progress with them, I would have sent the watch to Geneva. Seriously, I would have.
Ten years ago, I would be like you. However, I do not think any of that would get me a bracelet. I know the history of the watch and a few experts I have talked to indicated there is no evidence of such. BTW, Rolex does not use terms like replica. They say, not Rolex part. And I feel sorry for a person who purchases a good watch and gets false treatment from Rolex. Just like here on the boards, if someone is going to make a claim, they should state why and point out the issue. Rolex in my case will not tell. However, if I find any photos of my watch in a Rolex book or manual, I will be screaming from the roof tops… Now back on topic, this example of why Rolex is probably not the best place to go to confirm what a Rolex is. From my observation from my over two hour stressful visit is Rolex make watches. They service their watches; however anything watch that parts are no longer in production they are not experts. My feeling is they probably have very few if any watchmakers familiar with the details of 40-50 year old Rolex at their service center.
Closed Thread