The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 April 2007, 11:42 PM   #1
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Transparent Caseback Manufacture

I see we have a link now for "transparent Caseback Manufacture." Has anyone clicked on the link? I doubt English is in their top 50 languages. Are we actually endorsing this? Would it not void warranties, and would it not make the Sub and SD un-waterproof?
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 12:57 AM   #2
----

The ethics of the site aside (would not be my choice of things to endorse but I don't own this site) just by putting a transparent back on it does not necessarily make the watch "un-waterproof" as you put it.

There are many watches that have a degree of water resistance that have transparent case backs. How much is the question. I have 2 watches that are rated at 100m with transparent backs. Off the top of my head I can think of another out there that is rated for 200m. I'm sure there are more if I dug into it.

Of course I have no idea what the people on the site noted really provide in terms of quality for the casebacks.
Old 7 April 2007, 01:04 AM   #3
cbrenthus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my second hand
I wouldn't bother; unfortunatly, a see through case back wouldn't do me much goo as my wrist is not invisible. :(
cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 01:17 AM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
I see we have a link now for "transparent Caseback Manufacture." Has anyone clicked on the link? I doubt English is in their top 50 languages. Are we actually endorsing this? Would it not void warranties, and would it not make the Sub and SD un-waterproof?
Well Robert thats the first time I have noticed it,some sort of banner thing like the Rolex book report.And no matter what part you put on your Rolex,if not a genuine Rolex part, then that voids your guarantee. As is the same for most guaranteed items today no matter what they are,but sure that TRF don't endorse anything.Now although by clicking on banner the site is in German,but link also to change to American English.Now they state the case backs are tested to 20atm,but whether you or anyone fits a view case back thats up to the individual.Now if I remember correct someone posted these view-back selling on ebay.And there was some interest shown,now don't know if Steve has made it available I really don't Know.And like Al said there are quite a few view backs out there rated to 100-200m.And lets be honest the Rolex movement is not the prettiest out there for a view-back, but they do backs for other watches too.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 06:23 AM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
The new OMEGA GMT with the co-axial movement and skeletal hands, is fitted with a transparent caseback and is rated down to 300 m.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 06:25 AM   #6
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
I bought one about 3 weeks ago and had it installed on my TT Sub. My watchmaker vacuum tested the watch before and after installing it, and he says it's as waterproof now as it was before (was overhauled by Toronto RSC last July). Warranty isn't an issue with my watch, and if I want to restore it, it'll take my watchmaker about 10 minutes. In the meantime, it's kinda cool to see those red gears.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 06:33 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
I bought one about 3 weeks ago and had it installed on my TT Sub. My watchmaker vacuum tested the watch before and after installing it, and he says it's as waterproof now as it was before (was overhauled by Toronto RSC last July). Warranty isn't an issue with my watch, and if I want to restore it, it'll take my watchmaker about 10 minutes. In the meantime, it's kinda cool to see those red gears.
I'd love to see a nice picture of that, Al!!

Thanks in advance - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 7 April 2007, 08:04 AM   #8
astcell
"TRF" Member

They say they have it for the SD too. That's 1000m!
Old 7 April 2007, 10:44 AM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
They say they have it for the SD too. That's 1000m!
Who fed you that crap, Robert?

Old 7 April 2007, 11:18 AM   #10
astcell
"TRF" Member

From the site:

transparent CASEBACK with a scratchproof Cristalglas Saphir suitable for ROLEX Oystercase

GMT Master I/II

16710, 16713, 16718, 16760

Submariner

16800, 16610, 16610LV, 16613, 16618, 16803, 16808

Explorer II

16550, 16570

Yachtmaster

Sea-Dweller

16600, 16660

Daytona

116509, 116518, 116519, 116520, 116523, 116528, 116589, 116598, 116599

USD 180,-/PCS incl.tax and Insured shipping
Old 7 April 2007, 11:20 AM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
From the site:

transparent CASEBACK with a scratchproof Cristalglas Saphir suitable for ROLEX Oystercase

GMT Master I/II

16710, 16713, 16718, 16760

Submariner

16800, 16610, 16610LV, 16613, 16618, 16803, 16808

Explorer II

16550, 16570

Yachtmaster

Sea-Dweller

16600, 16660

Daytona

116509, 116518, 116519, 116520, 116523, 116528, 116589, 116598, 116599

USD 180,-/PCS incl.tax and Insured shipping

Old 7 April 2007, 11:54 AM   #12
Thurnau
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust
Does having a transparent caseback make the watch sit a lot higher off your wrist than the metal one? I like the look of the transparent but do not want to add to the thickness.
Thurnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 12:11 PM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurnau View Post
Does having a transparent caseback make the watch sit a lot higher off your wrist than the metal one? I like the look of the transparent but do not want to add to the thickness.
If done very professionally by the right watchmaker who knows his job, I don't think there should be any difference. The case back is pretty flat and made of sapphire crystal.

I love these transparent casebacks only if they come as original fittings....like in the Aqua Terra from OMEGA and some others. I would never do that to my Rolex.

JJ

Old 7 April 2007, 02:38 PM   #14
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
I think the see thru backs are the best! The Rolex movement is the heart and soul of the Rolex. The movement sells on ebay for at least 1300, so I think it would be a pleasure to admire the movement with those signature red gears.
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 09:34 PM   #15
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurnau View Post
Nope.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Old 11 April 2007, 09:10 PM   #16
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

Has anyone ever installed one. I have one, but have been leary of installing it, and my local watch person is going to give me grief as the back is not original....

-Sheldon
Old 12 April 2007, 06:01 AM   #17
mikey
"TRF" Member

The transparent caseback for a Rolex is cool, but I don't think I would share with others this modification because it seems like you really get grief because its not an original part. You would think there would be praise on this mod because the watch needs something to draw more attention anyways besides all the cash for a basic plain watch. I love my Gold DJ but its the gold that makes it flashy.
Old 13 April 2007, 03:09 AM   #18
MotoLiam

Hi All,

Can someone forward me a link to where I can check out the Transparent Caseback that Alcan installed on his TT Sub? I scrolled through the links page, but when I clicked on the clear caseback I ended up with a tutorial to make your own, and another site that didn't work. Thanks in Advance :)
MotoLiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2007, 05:50 AM   #19
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoLiam View Post
Hi All,

Can someone forward me a link to where I can check out the Transparent Caseback that Alcan installed on his TT Sub? I scrolled through the links page, but when I clicked on the clear caseback I ended up with a tutorial to make your own, and another site that didn't work. Thanks in Advance :)

The link is at the bottom of each page and is the current "Banner of the month"
Old 13 April 2007, 07:35 AM   #20
MotoLiam

Awesome, thank you Avalon. Time to contact a young lady I know in Germany about procuring one :)
Old 13 April 2007, 07:52 AM   #21
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
The transparent caseback for a Rolex is cool, but I don't think I would share with others this modification because it seems like you really get grief because its not an original part. You would think there would be praise on this mod because the watch needs something to draw more attention anyways besides all the cash for a basic plain watch. I love my Gold DJ but its the gold that makes it flashy.
I do what I want to do, not what somebody else thinks I should do. As I posted before, it'll take 10 minutes for my watchmaker to return it to original. In the meantime, I can check out those cool red and gold gears whenever I want to.
Member #1,315

Old 15 April 2007, 06:05 AM   #22
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
I find a display back kind of intriguing. Fortis, Omega, Seiko and many others offer it as a std. feature on many of their watches. I think it holds some of the same fascination as do the skeleton watches (readability aside) for those captivated by mechanical doo-hickeys. Puritan notions aside, this could be a nice addition and conversation piece for any watch, Rolex included. Considering it's a non-invasive, easily reversible modification I wouldn't fault anyone who wants to get one. Typically, a display back WILL add some thickness to the watch. Whether it does or not in the case of Rolex, I'd look into it more closely...

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2007, 02:01 PM   #23
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
I do what I want to do, not what somebody else thinks I should do.
I agee

All watches and modifications of whatever nature are matters of personal preference.
No one has to buy a transparent caseback, but it is information and a resource to consider.
Personally, I like them, those that don't are free to hold that opinion too.
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2007, 03:01 PM   #24
MotoLiam

Hey everyone, I had my friend in Germany email this guy yesterday, and within a couple hours he replied to a couple questions I posed, namely about depth ratings, durability, and so on. He reports that his casebacks have been pressure tested to 20 ATM, and he invited me to have my watchmaker test it if I felt like it. Seems like he is on the up and up, and when my paypal is full enough, I'll probably order one from him. If/when I get it, I'll post up photos and a thread about the ordering and shipping experience.
Old 15 April 2007, 10:39 PM   #25
TARDIS
"TRF" Member

See through casebacks are not uncommon, even in divers watches

ORIS 300m TI

MIDO Ti 'All Dia'l 100M CSOC [not really a diver, but OK for swimming]

Both watches have no noticeable difference to solid metal casebacks when worn.

Steve
TARDIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2007, 06:55 AM   #26
mikey
"TRF" Member

Alcan, I agree with you 100% with your mods and you doing what you want. I have done so many things to my Rolex that I do not share because I know many memebers would talk about me and try to make me feel bad. Also, I disagree when guys say the Rolex movement is nothing special to look at. Invicta prides itself in showing a 21 jewel Myiota movement??? The Rolex movement is worth more money than the case dial or band!