The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 11 September 2013, 10:46 PM   #61
SubComex
"TRF" Member

:(
SubComex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2013, 10:49 PM   #62
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Horrible story, hope you find some kind of resolution.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 12:01 AM   #63
Baselman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665 GreatWhite SD
I have watched enough CSI to know that :
A) the location and person can be tracked by cellphone use, according to the masts the signals have bounced off - shud give you exact location infact using GPS tracking data.
B) the emails he sent must have come from an IP address and that PC will have data trail
C) matching alias used in the fraud to the person is going to be difficult but I assume you took his details with some photographic confirmation - if not no way you can tie the person to the watch and the driver well he hasn't commited any crime you have him the watch!

All in all I think legally you are onto a no win trail here unfortunately without legal substantiated proof of who you dealt with.
Baselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 12:21 AM   #64
SWISSAHOLICS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Oh my...this is a terrible story....so sorry...I really hope you come back to us with some good news in the near future.

"The one thing I fear most is time; time waits for no one and leaves no options."
SWISSAHOLICS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 01:31 AM   #65
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I am very sorry to hear this. I hope somehow you get your watch back and that karma repays whoever is responsible.

But, don't beat yourself up over it and move on. I agree with your wife, keep the new watch.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 01:38 AM   #66
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
You guys crack me up some times, this is about a bounced check know, not a stolen watch, It becomes a civil matter unless you can prove otherwise

I'm sorry for your loss, but you said you had bought and sold watches for 15 years and you didn't think to check/verify that the funds deposited were cash and not a check...???

And, if someone was picking up the watch why didn't you insist that they just hand you cash at the trade off...

Something isn't right here....
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 01:44 AM   #67
aeon888
"TRF" Member

The OP can set up a sting operation. Using another username, He can advertise another Rolex watch for sale in the same ad site where he first put his watch for sale. Maybe use a different Rolex model.

Then check the IP address or username of all potential buyers. Even check the mobile numbers of potential buyers if the scammer is stupid enough to use the same number. Then during the deal exchange, ask a police detective to help you apprehend the scammer. If the same guy shows up then you got him.

But first, file a police blotter for the stolen watch. So you have it on record. That is the legal and right way to do it OR....

You can gather your friends and meet the bogus buyer/"driver" to pick up your watch for the sale. If its the same guy, then you know what to do.
aeon888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 02:00 AM   #68
WatchFeen
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610 LV
Very sorry to hear that - i hope you get your watch back!
WatchFeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 02:04 AM   #69
GOB
"TRF" Member

azguy: all the watches that I have bought and sold in the past have been through authorized dealers, personal friends and family, and reputable online merchants. This was the first time I sold a watch to someone I did not know or had reference to. In hindsight, yes, a very dumb move on my part not to verify if the deposit made was in cash or other form of payment. Thanks for reminding me what an idiot I can be at times.

If you read my posts, you will see that it is not just a bounced check as it was all done with intent to scam. The check that was deposited was from an account that has been closed for weeks. The signature on the check does not match any of the registered signatures for that account. The account never moved sums of money that would justify this purchase. Besides that, he is actively blocking my calls on his cell phone as I have confirmed that he is in fact making and receiving calls on the same cell phone that we communicated during the transaction. Furthermore, his cell is one that does not require a contract, so at any moment, he can ditch the sim card and get a new one with a new number for the grand sum of $5.

Reason why I did not want cash is because there has been a lot of problems with counterfit money on the streets and I wanted to avoid getting fake bills.

I will be placing my formal claim with the authorities later today and it will be a process where they investigate the check/signature/transaction and then they will bring in the "driver" to question him regarding his dealings with the other person. This country is relatively small and I'm confident that in the future, I will either get my money, my watch, or the person who did this will have a very unpleasant time.
GOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 02:05 AM   #70
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
Of course, the worst is that you lost your watch(and money).
The next worst is people who have no compassion for you.

Here's hoping some good things come your way!
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 02:11 AM   #71
kbutler1
"TRF" Member

Watch: This one
Sorry to hear. Good luck in whatever course of action you pursue.
kbutler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 02:32 AM   #72
Imran
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
Really sorry for your loss.
Imran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 03:47 AM   #73
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
Sorry for your troubles. It sounds like you're going the right route in finding a resolution. Not sure about the laws in panama, but with the "drivers" liscense pic that you have, the cops should be able to do something. If not, I'm sorry, but I'd be looking into the unfavorable route of acquiring my watch back by any means necessary.... Good luck and keep up the updates
Presa canary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 03:49 AM   #74
Argon

Very sorry that you got scammed. It happened to my wife when she was buying a limited edition laptop online. When I offered to buy her another one, she didn't want anything that would remind her of the one she lost. So I understand why you don't want the YM anymore. I hope things work out somehow.

P.S. Although I completely sympathize with you, I would also suggest that you delete some parts of your post #27, which seems ill advised to post on a public forum.
Argon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 03:53 AM   #75
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

Ouch :-( I too had a watch stolen as a result of a rather elaborate scam. And while I don't think I'll ever see it again I'm keeping my fingers crossed that justice will be done in your case. Hope you are able to get your watch back !!
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 04:00 AM   #76
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
In my humble opinion you are beating yourself up for this too much. Take a deep breath. Forgive yourself and the thief from your higher self and you will gain clarity and a good resolution on this.

You chose to trust someone. That is not a bad thing. His bad. Not you.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 05:47 AM   #77
LA_LEC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
This thief has no soul and is living a shallow and sad life. That sort of individual has no class or appreciation for life and is simply existing as a parasite on the rest of humanity who are trying to exist on a higher level.

They are no better than feral dogs on the street. Carry on knowing that you are 1000 times superior to that person.
Old 12 September 2013, 06:01 AM   #78
Eulogy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1803 and 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon888 View Post
I think the supposed "driver" that picked up your watch is the guy who scammed you.
That is my belief also. I would do my best to track HIM down as he is the only connection you have.
Eulogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 06:51 AM   #79
scottb2
Banned

wow s@@tty

that really sucks man - references are of utmost importance these days even from the buyer unfortunately
scottb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 07:02 AM   #80
bridgs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Horrible story friend. So sorry to hear you were taken by this scum bag. I probably would have fallen for that too. Now that I have learned from you, I will not. I hope somehow the watch comes back to you.
bridgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 07:19 AM   #81
Redstev
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 16610
That's awful trick to play on somebody. Your beating yourself up far to much though, you've learnt a valuable life lesson.
I'm a great believer in Karma, what goes around comes around and the guy who scammed you will pay a hefty price one day.
Sleep easy my friend.
Redstev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 07:48 AM   #82
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
A few years ago, I was scammed by a TRF "buyer" out of two Rolexes and $3,800. With the amazing assistance of TRF members, I was able to get both watches and my cash back, but it took a nearly full-time effort to find the guy and cause him enough fear that he actually returned the watches to the police department in Columbia, South Caroline. Here is the thread. It's long, but the TRF community provides a huge amount of detailed information on how to get a watch back.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 08:04 AM   #83
alanc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270 16710B
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOB View Post
azguy: all the watches that I have bought and sold in the past have been through authorized dealers, personal friends and family, and reputable online merchants. This was the first time I sold a watch to someone I did not know or had reference to. In hindsight, yes, a very dumb move on my part not to verify if the deposit made was in cash or other form of payment. Thanks for reminding me what an idiot I can be at times.

If you read my posts, you will see that it is not just a bounced check as it was all done with intent to scam. The check that was deposited was from an account that has been closed for weeks. The signature on the check does not match any of the registered signatures for that account. The account never moved sums of money that would justify this purchase. Besides that, he is actively blocking my calls on his cell phone as I have confirmed that he is in fact making and receiving calls on the same cell phone that we communicated during the transaction. Furthermore, his cell is one that does not require a contract, so at any moment, he can ditch the sim card and get a new one with a new number for the grand sum of $5.

Reason why I did not want cash is because there has been a lot of problems with counterfit money on the streets and I wanted to avoid getting fake bills.

I will be placing my formal claim with the authorities later today and it will be a process where they investigate the check/signature/transaction and then they will bring in the "driver" to question him regarding his dealings with the other person. This country is relatively small and I'm confident that in the future, I will either get my money, my watch, or the person who did this will have a very unpleasant time.
It sounds like you are doing all the right things to attempt to get your watch back. Good luck, and ignore comments that are no help, at best.
alanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 08:04 AM   #84
Jannal
"TRF" Member

Seiko: SBGX117 / SBGX335 / SEC011 / 7548 / SNE543P1
Jannal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 08:45 AM   #85
alan4305
"TRF" Member

Sorry for your loss.
alan4305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 01:06 PM   #86
GOB
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your support. I filed the official port with the local authorities and will follow up until at least the driver says who he gave the watch to or get my money. It's in the best interest of the driver to cooperate as he would go to jail for the crime committed. Jail in Panama is NOTHING like jail in USA...
GOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 01:31 PM   #87
rolley7
"TRF" Member

Watch: the eastern sky
That stinks...so sorry...I have been scammed twice. It is a nightmare. Hope it all works out.
rolley7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 02:30 PM   #88
wuyeah
"TRF" Member

I never understand this. Why don't bank check thoroughly "before" they sent you the transfer notice?

Obviously they can check account history and raise warning of suspicious activity might of taking place and filter the transaction out before it happen to serve their "customer" properly. The bank only tell you truth after being scamed... Isn't open an account with certain bank is to hope their service is more "secure" than your own? If bank is fail to protect, refuse to help customers...what is the point having a bank milking customers' money and made fortune out of it?

I certainly dislike working attitude of modern banks. I feel they are scammer as well. Lot small charges taken here and there without clear notice and when something serious like this incident happen, they fail to protect.
wuyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 02:31 PM   #89
RolexWatcher
"TRF" Member

Sorry for the loss. Some TRF members may be able to help.
RolexWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 03:41 PM   #90
Auto16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaPanerai
Omg!

You should have made sure the money was actually in your account and "cleared" all funds first! Rookie mistake!
Auto16610 is offline   Reply With Quote