The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 December 2018, 08:01 AM   #61
spect
Banned

Intriguing story ,Nice piece.
spect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 08:05 AM   #62
4vCoupe
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Saying, "I'm done buying Rolexes," immediately after buying a Rolex is like saying, "I'm swearing off drugs," right after snorting a line of coke. Give it time. If it holds true, then the claim has merit. Right now, you're still under the influence of the purchase.

At any rate, enjoy your DJ.

Truth right there. The watch buying part. Not sure about the coke part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4vCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 07:54 PM   #63
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Just out of curiosity, to the people who have obviously only read the first few posts before replying, does it ever occur to you to read the rest of the thread to see if anything has changed that might affect what you say in your reply? Since OP updated the thread to report he sold the DJ two months after buying it, he's been congratulated six times on buying the DJ.
This thread should come with a warning.
Read it all if you wanna post something!!!

It’s like a watch diary to me. It takes you from strat to present, hence my upadates.
Old 23 December 2018, 09:24 PM   #64
Innocenti
"TRF" Member

This is a relatable thread ,, at one point I had maybe 20+ watches , now I’m down to two ( 0ld sub and modern dj)
I’ve found a love for the modern simple smaller Rolex .

I’m looking forward to seeing which watch you end up with now
Innocenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 09:59 PM   #65
Goin2drt
Banned

I am with you. I love Rolex, tired of all the games and BS. Definitely done buying Rolex unfortunately as there are several I would still like but not going to perpetuate the gray market BS.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 02:50 AM   #66
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innocenti View Post
This is a relatable thread ,, at one point I had maybe 20+ watches , now I’m down to two ( 0ld sub and modern dj)
I’ve found a love for the modern simple smaller Rolex .

I’m looking forward to seeing which watch you end up with now
I am thinking of 3 options.
Obviously, I am heading to one Rolex only. This should cover a few needs in terms of versatility.

My first option would be new Pepsi. But Rolex things otherwise.
My second option is DJ41. Easily available.
Third option is a double quickset 36mm DD. 5 digit ref.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
I am with you. I love Rolex, tired of all the games and BS. Definitely done buying Rolex unfortunately as there are several I would still like but not going to perpetuate the gray market BS.
Under no circumstances I would pay a cent over mrsp for any (already very expensive) Rolex watch. As said, I am not playing the game.
Old 22 February 2019, 03:28 PM   #67
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Disclaimer: this post makes no sense unless you read through the entire thread.

I have sold my Submariner and for a short while I had no Rolex. It was ok, absolutely no drama.

I have tried a few DJ41 but these simply felt too large on my wrist. As much as I would like to have the new movement, I decided not to buy one. I still dream of a 39-40mm DJ which may never come.....

But it did not take long before a (semi)vintage piece came along and I could not let it pass. I constantly look for good condition watches that I can enjoy and sell later when (if) I get bored.
So, I bought this mint DJ16233 because I never had a 2 tone or a jubilee model. A lovely watch, on the dress side. I enjoy it.
2008FC78-825B-49F7-A0B8-E18107A21A46.jpeg

It did not take too long and I stumbled across another cute little one, an OP date that I could not pass and I ended up again with 2 Rolex watches in a rather short time. Well, I must say that this may become a keeper as I intend to go on Himalaya next year and it is the perfect watch to bring along. So much for your buck with this watch, ref 15000. Great ref imo. I just wished the dial was black on this one.
A2F250A8-5207-4EDF-B393-6781A7924139.jpeg

I visit my AD on a regular base. They can still get me a Sub or a GMT but none of the hot models: Batman, Daytona or the one I want, the ss Pepsi.
However, meanwhile, I did have the chance to see and try the new ss Pepsi and although I did like it I believe that the jubilee is not really complementing this model. Especially with the oysterclasp.
It would much prefer it on a oyster....I really do not understand Rolex here. Give people a choice at least. This is meant to be a sports model.
16A64161-0E78-4745-9BFA-AE620330D9EE.jpeg

As for buying a modern Rolex, I do not see it happening soon. I like the 5 digit references more and more. If I can't get what I want or what fits me I shall stick to the pre-owned (older references) market.

Keep calm and buy watches.....as my, dear friend, the Queen says.

PS: to summerize: when I said I am done I had a DJ and Sub. They are both gone......and I currently own another DJ and an OP Date.
Old 30 May 2019, 05:01 AM   #68
Verdi
"TRF" Member

So, just for the sake of this “saga” I’ll update.

Tired of playing games, the watch I wanted to end up with came a lot earlier in life than I planned.
For almost the same price as a BLRO I got myself the DD I wanted later in life.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EB1F6FE3-2059-4E40-8386-A973B2B23FDF.jpeg (229.5 KB, 362 views)
Old 30 May 2019, 05:06 AM   #69
iheartrolexx
Banned

are you really?
iheartrolexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 05:11 AM   #70
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartrolexx View Post
are you really?
I don't really know.
But, as I don’t like to overpay I am done as long as this game is on.
Old 30 May 2019, 05:22 AM   #71
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Two makes a nice collection.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 05:26 AM   #72
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Icon13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post

Tired of playing games, the watch I wanted to end up with came a lot earlier in life than I planned.

This is probably what sets the upper limits on Rolex SS sports aftermarket prices. When it makes no sense to buy the hot model where you can pick up a PM for the same money. Its the same for Patek, why buy the SS Nautilus 5711 where for the same money you can pick up a mint complete 3970. When that happens the 5711 no longer makes sense.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 05:36 AM   #73
Pentameter
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
lol I'm late to this thread but after reading the first post, I was going to respond "you'll be back". Well, I was right… and I still believe that now - whether you keep your DD or not (and it's gorgeous, kudos on that one) - you'll be back (again)
Pentameter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 05:40 AM   #74
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:

Thanks for the update and big congrats on the DD!
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 06:43 AM   #75
phraxos5
"TRF" Member

ak, 2019 sub date, sd43 2018 never on a waiting list. when I buy a ss rolex i tell the AD what i want next and they call me when its in. keep going in and talk, make a personal contact, let them know you and what's happening in your life. you'll get one ss and when its in the case buy it right away even if its not your first choice, then you have a relationship. wear any ss models you have so they see your serious. tire kicking is dreaded by ads and you'd be suprised how many do it. a lot of the traffic in a rolex store is tire kicking and looking only with 0 intention of buying something. if they see you wearing a high resale item over several months then they know you are not a reseller. you can also build up a relationship and trust with rsc and it translates to relaxation of pain in the ass rules as well
phraxos5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 01:42 PM   #76
Ticknaway
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Glad you got your “later in life” watch now!
Ticknaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 01:52 PM   #77
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
This is probably what sets the upper limits on Rolex SS sports aftermarket prices. When it makes no sense to buy the hot model where you can pick up a PM for the same money. Its the same for Patek, why buy the SS Nautilus 5711 where for the same money you can pick up a mint complete 3970. When that happens the 5711 no longer makes sense.
It is exactly how I felt.
Why pay 15-16k usd for a steel GMT when I can get the DD!

If BLRO was available at msrp I would have probably got it. I guess Rolex marketing did not work on me.....meaning I did not buy 2 brand new DJs waiting for a GMT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentameter View Post
lol I'm late to this thread but after reading the first post, I was going to respond "you'll be back". Well, I was right… and I still believe that now - whether you keep your DD or not (and it's gorgeous, kudos on that one) - you'll be back (again)
I would be back again and again I guess. It is all down to what becomes available and what watches come my way. I can’t say no to a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
Thanks for the update and big congrats on the DD!
Thank you, sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticknaway View Post
Glad you got your “later in life” watch now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phraxos5 View Post
ak, 2019 sub date, sd43 2018 never on a waiting list. when I buy a ss rolex i tell the AD what i want next and they call me when its in. keep going in and talk, make a personal contact, let them know you and what's happening in your life. you'll get one ss and when its in the case buy it right away even if its not your first choice, then you have a relationship. wear any ss models you have so they see your serious. tire kicking is dreaded by ads and you'd be suprised how many do it. a lot of the traffic in a rolex store is tire kicking and looking only with 0 intention of buying something. if they see you wearing a high resale item over several months then they know you are not a reseller. you can also build up a relationship and trust with rsc and it translates to relaxation of pain in the ass rules as well
Yes, I know. But this is exactly what I do not want to do.
I know my AD pretty ok.
Im on the list for a GMT but that means nothing. There are so many vip customers here where I live....you got to spend in excess of 200k usd to get what you want.
You see, my AD is also an AD for RM, Patek.....there are people buying a lot of expensive models.
I got 2 watches from them previously, as I said, means pretty much nothing. Can't blame them. If I buy 2 Pateks or a RM I would expect priority on any list.
It is Rolex here who is limiting the stock not the AD, they would happily sell me what I want.
Old 31 May 2019, 02:59 PM   #78
phraxos5
"TRF" Member

Yes Rolex is limiting the stock in a sense by not suddenly ramping up production to meet the demand, but there is crazy demand so it is what it is I think they could care a little less actually. Ads are working the situ in their favor that’s sales 101 And Rolex is trying to reign them in and force 1st come 1st serve now Probably because more people than you think have actually whined to Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
phraxos5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 04:04 PM   #79
Verdi
"TRF" Member

INCOMING!

So, quite a lot of action on the watch scene for me.

I missed my Sub in the sense that nothing can beat a modern steel model in terms of comfortable every day wear.......and what I mean is a professional model with a good oyster bracelet.
My old OP34 was great but decided to sell it and get a new watch instead. The vintage prices have gone up so much that I was able to get a very good price for it. It paid for almost half of my new purchase so it was a no brainer for me.

I sold the old OP34 Sunday night and I was going to wait and see. Little I knew........Monday morning (yesterday) I was buying a brand new watch!!!

I had in mind the modern OP, 36 or 39. I tried a few dial variances and liked it, especially the white grape 36mm. I was going to take my time to decide.
There was only one problem with the OP: it does not feature the easylink which I miss so much and I used it on regular base on the previous DJ, Sub and E2 that I had.
I looked into outsourcing an easylink to fit on the OP after I get one but as Rolex limits the access to parts it is not an easy task. it could take time and it could end up costing me quite a lot.....

So I woke up yesterday and I said: the Explorer 1 ticks all the boxes for me. It is a bigger watch than the OP36 (I know that OP39 and E1 share the same size but trust me, E1 wears a lot bigger) but the bracelet is a lot better and this is very important to me.
It also has better lume and easier to read dial.

I had a quick coffee and called my AD:

'Morning, do you have any E1 in stockl?
'Hi Sir, how are you? Yes, in fact we got a shipment yesterday, we have 2 pieces but we have not displayed them yet.
'Ok, I am coming down to have a look at one. How much is it and is there a chance for discount?
'It is......... and yes, I think we can do 10%.
'OK, see you soon.

I jumped in the car and I was there in 15 min as I live nearby.
I sat down and the gentleman brought the watch for me to try and see. I asked him to fit the bracelet for me as I wanted to see how it feels on the wrist properly sized. He did so without a problem.
I also looked at OP39 and put them side by side......it was clear to me that I was buying the E1.
I do not take long to decide, despite the fact that E1 felt big, especially when you are used to wear 34-36mm watches that I mostly wore in the past 1-2 years.

'I'll take it. Let's make the payment.
I paid for it and some of the stickers had to come off as this is the Rolex policy....one of the measure meant to make it harder for the grey dealers to sell brand new watches.
They do keep track of who buys to sell it immediately for profit and they do blacklist certain individuals.

MINI REVIEW

Few impressions about the E1 after 24 hrs.

-It wears big. In theory it is smaller than the Sub but it wears bigger than the 40mm Sub and I suspect this is due to a bigger dial.
E1 wears bigger than the Sub but a bit smaller than the DJ41.

-It is probably most legible dial I have had in a Rolex. I guess this shall stay with me as I see it perfect for when I get a bit older and my eyes will start playing tricks on me.

-the bracelet is to die for. this is the best bracelet in the Rolex line at the moment imo. Brushed steel, oysterlock, easylink. this should be available on all sport models...I personally steered away from some models because this bracelet is not available on them anymore.

-in 24 hrs, the accuracy is as expected. no deviation whatsoever.

-Lume is very good, this is one of pros especially when compared to OP. The luminous 3, 6, 9 makes it so easy to read in the dark. Im glad they changed the gold numerals to chromalight

this is for now. some photos to follow soon
Old 11 June 2019, 04:23 PM   #80
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
INCOMING!

So, quite a lot of action on the watch scene for me.

I missed my Sub in the sense that nothing can beat a modern steel model in terms of comfortable every day wear.......and what I mean is a professional model with a good oyster bracelet.
My old OP34 was great but decided to sell it and get a new watch instead. The vintage prices have gone up so much that I was able to get a very good price for it. It paid for almost half of my new purchase so it was a no brainer for me.

I sold the old OP34 Sunday night and I was going to wait and see. Little I knew........Monday morning (yesterday) I was buying a brand new watch!!!

I had in mind the modern OP, 36 or 39. I tried a few dial variances and liked it, especially the white grape 36mm. I was going to take my time to decide.
There was only one problem with the OP: it does not feature the easylink which I miss so much and I used it on regular base on the previous DJ, Sub and E2 that I had.
I looked into outsourcing an easylink to fit on the OP after I get one but as Rolex limits the access to parts it is not an easy task. it could take time and it could end up costing me quite a lot.....

So I woke up yesterday and I said: the Explorer 1 ticks all the boxes for me. It is a bigger watch than the OP36 (I know that OP39 and E1 share the same size but trust me, E1 wears a lot bigger) but the bracelet is a lot better and this is very important to me.
It also has better lume and easier to read dial.

I had a quick coffee and called my AD:

'Morning, do you have any E1 in stockl?
'Hi Sir, how are you? Yes, in fact we got a shipment yesterday, we have 2 pieces but we have not displayed them yet.
'Ok, I am coming down to have a look at one. How much is it and is there a chance for discount?
'It is......... and yes, I think we can do 10%.
'OK, see you soon.

I jumped in the car and I was there in 15 min as I live nearby.
I sat down and the gentleman brought the watch for me to try and see. I asked him to fit the bracelet for me as I wanted to see how it feels on the wrist properly sized. He did so without a problem.
I also looked at OP39 and put them side by side......it was clear to me that I was buying the E1.
I do not take long to decide, despite the fact that E1 felt big, especially when you are used to wear 34-36mm watches that I mostly wore in the past 1-2 years.

'I'll take it. Let's make the payment.
I paid for it and some of the stickers had to come off as this is the Rolex policy....one of the measure meant to make it harder for the grey dealers to sell brand new watches.
They do keep track of who buys to sell it immediately for profit and they do blacklist certain individuals.

MINI REVIEW

Few impressions about the E1 after 24 hrs.

-It wears big. In theory it is smaller than the Sub but it wears bigger than the 40mm Sub and I suspect this is due to a bigger dial.
E1 wears bigger than the Sub but a bit smaller than the DJ41.

-It is probably most legible dial I have had in a Rolex. I guess this shall stay with me as I see it perfect for when I get a bit older and my eyes will start playing tricks on me.

-the bracelet is to die for. this is the best bracelet in the Rolex line at the moment imo. Brushed steel, oysterlock, easylink. this should be available on all sport models...I personally steered away from some models because this bracelet is not available on them anymore.

-in 24 hrs, the accuracy is as expected. no deviation whatsoever.

-Lume is very good, this is one of pros especially when compared to OP. The luminous 3, 6, 9 makes it so easy to read in the dark. Im glad they changed the gold numerals to chromalight

this is for now. some photos to follow soon
The plot thickens! Another update so soon since the last. I think you got a killer recent duo now between the DD you picked up and the Explorer. Also - that's nuts if you were able to get any kind of discount on it. I would have assumed SS + professional model would have meant an instant "no discount."

Looking forward to seeing what happens next. Any other surprises you're working on now?
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 04:31 PM   #81
maxymax
"TRF" Member

That’s a beautiful DJ
maxymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 04:35 PM   #82
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
The plot thickens! Another update so soon since the last. I think you got a killer recent duo now between the DD you picked up and the Explorer. Also - that's nuts if you were able to get any kind of discount on it. I would have assumed SS + professional model would have meant an instant "no discount."

Looking forward to seeing what happens next. Any other surprises you're working on now?
Thank you.
I believe the discount was possible because Rolex is going to update the movement on the E1 next year. This is my assumption.

Yes, there were no more discounts on the professional models (E1 included) but Rolex communicated that they can give some discount for this model at the moment. This is what they told me.
Tbh, this made it very easier for me to decide to get it yesterday. I bought the watch below the msrp.

No more surprises....no funds for watches left at the moment and I should stick to this duo:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BB026037-483E-457E-8927-A9DB9839AD1B.jpeg (206.6 KB, 276 views)
Old 11 June 2019, 09:37 PM   #83
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Thank you.
I believe the discount was possible because Rolex is going to update the movement on the E1 next year. This is my assumption.

Yes, there were no more discounts on the professional models (E1 included) but Rolex communicated that they can give some discount for this model at the moment. This is what they told me.
Tbh, this made it very easier for me to decide to get it yesterday. I bought the watch below the msrp.

No more surprises....no funds for watches left at the moment and I should stick to this duo:
But what a killer duo! I always have mixed feeling when my watch fund is drained. Happy at whatever I just bought, and sad that the fun is over for awhile.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 09:40 PM   #84
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations. A nice combination.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 10:18 PM   #85
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
First congrats, again, on the fine purchase.

I must confess though that I am a bit confused, as I am no expert on the OP line. What is the difference between the OP39 and the Explorer, other than the face? They're both 39mm, both SS, probably the same movement, same bracelet, looks like the same case and bezel.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 10:54 PM   #86
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
But what a killer duo! I always have mixed feeling when my watch fund is drained. Happy at whatever I just bought, and sad that the fun is over for awhile.
Thank you.
To be honest I have been through quite a few models in the recent years. I should not buy anything for a while.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Congratulations. A nice combination.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
First congrats, again, on the fine purchase.

I must confess though that I am a bit confused, as I am no expert on the OP line. What is the difference between the OP39 and the Explorer, other than the face? They're both 39mm, both SS, probably the same movement, same bracelet, looks like the same case and bezel.
Thank you!
Many have asked the same question over the years. OP and the Explorer have the same pedigree but Rolex made sure that some differences are present to make the E1 stand out, imo.

For more details.....these guys have answered better than I could do it:
https://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-e...mm-review/?amp

https://atelierdegriff.com/2018/06/0...xplorer-i/amp/
Old 11 June 2019, 11:44 PM   #87
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
For more details.....these guys have answered better than I could do it:
https://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-e...mm-review/?amp

https://atelierdegriff.com/2018/06/0...xplorer-i/amp/
Those were both excellent articles and very helpful, thanks!

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 01:21 AM   #88
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
unfortunately, I identify with this.

Edit: the watch part of it, not the drug use part.
I was about to send you a PM offering my support and help, buddy.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 05:59 PM   #89
Verdi
"TRF" Member

I started this threat almost 2 years ago. I was done with watches, I had a Sub no date and a DJ. I was fed up with waitlists and the Rolex “marketing”.

Back than I could get pretty much any watch I wanted apart from Daytona and the GMT, and the Pepsi I wanted.

Let me tell you that I was not and I am not done. I ll never be done. It turns out that if a sweet deal comes my way I go for it. Hence, if you have the time to go through the 3 pages...you ll see how many I had in the past 2 years.
To put it straight, the watches I started this thread with....I don’t have anymore.

Meanwhile, I changed the dial on the DD. It now has a blue dial.

The last one which went through my hands was a vintage OP with blue mosaic dial.

But, It did not last long as a good deal came my way and let it go to get a new OP34 green dial.

This is the latest addition. OP 34 olive green......watch is 2 years old and its a full set, under warranty for another 3 years. I got a good deal on it, especially now, considering it that there are no discounts for this one anymore. 34mm is for many too small but its ok for me.
I now have 34mm OP, a 36mm DD and a 39mm Explorer.
will bank open today

Now to get an idea how this 34mm OP wears, have a look at it next to my 36mm DD. While the dial is slighter bigger on the DD, the case of the modern OP is beefier.
Old 14 August 2020, 06:15 PM   #90
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Just read through the entire thing and I totally get where you’re coming from. I think you might be referring to the same dealer chain that I’ve been dealing with. They are tiresome. I’ve been waiting for a Sub for over 18 months and now a DJ41 for over 6 months. It’s quite clear the dealer only looks after certain friends at this point in time.

So I’m also now at a crossroads of what to do and I think I’m going to start going 5 digit. Certainly for the Sub.

As you said, the games are ridiculous. I know I’ll never be a big player out here, so why even try.

Great story on the watches.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote