The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 February 2019, 03:31 AM   #31
mendoncam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Welcome to the forum good luck on your Submariner date quest
THANKS!!!!! I hope I get one soon.
mendoncam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 03:32 AM   #32
omx5o
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Sorry, I don't believe it.
omx5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 03:33 AM   #33
sirC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
I don't really "get" any of this deposit BS.

I will pay a vetted dealer/collector a bit of a premium, get the damn watch and enjoy it NOW. Putting down a deposit of any amount on a watch with delivery being that ambiguous is absurd. I bought a 126600 at 10% over retail 2 months ago and do not regret the purchase or what I paid.
sirC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 03:33 AM   #34
mendoncam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omx5o View Post
dont believe what sorry?
Old 22 February 2019, 03:33 AM   #35
Ungucpho
"TRF" Member

An out of state AD wanted full payment for a BLNR, and i would get the second one he received, however there was no delivery timeline. I politely declined since it's unknown when i would receive it
Ungucpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 03:36 AM   #36
mendoncam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungucpho View Post
An out of state AD wanted full payment for a BLNR, and i would get the second one he received, however there was no delivery timeline. I politely declined since it's unknown when i would receive it
see while they didn't give an exact date, they said 3-8 months. so I guess that's a delivery timeline? ive only every bought a GMT master ii LN but that was used. This whole AD crap is confusing and annoying.
Old 22 February 2019, 03:39 AM   #37
Ungucpho
"TRF" Member

Fairly confusing. If you can wait it out, 3-8 months isn't that bad of a wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoncam View Post
see while they didn't give an exact date, they said 3-8 months. so I guess that's a delivery timeline? ive only every bought a GMT master ii LN but that was used. This whole AD crap is confusing and annoying.
Ungucpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 03:42 AM   #38
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
A full deposit is a bit much but its surely entirely up to the AD and likely case by case. If you're uncomfortable with the full, ask if they'll take less? Good Luck!
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 03:44 AM   #39
mendoncam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungucpho View Post
Fairly confusing. If you can wait it out, 3-8 months isn't that bad of a wait
honestly thats what I was thinking. I know how much flack deposits get on the forum so I didn't want to say I did go and pay in full. I made sure to pay with credit card so that worst comes to worst, I have a way of getting my money back.

also, based on what I said prior, they were the best AD I dealt with as they were the only AD that didn't "look down" on me. I guess it'll be a wild ride depending on how goes. I can only hope it arrives sooner than later.
Old 22 February 2019, 03:45 AM   #40
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

If he wants it paid in full then tell him you want 5% off the list price. if not, walk, it's only a watch. When the time is right you will get one.
10XRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 03:45 AM   #41
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omx5o View Post
Quote:
dont believe what sorry?
he doesn't believe a sub can be attained in 8 months... he lives in the UK
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 03:47 AM   #42
cityboy10
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711CHNR
Quote:
also, raffi's square one said that if the watch isn't delivered in 8 months, I can get my money back.

pretty much every other AD in Toronto I got laughed at or told to get lost. Royal Des Versaille literally answered "NO" to my question about a submariner and then hung up. Damiani wasn't bad but again, I would have to pay in full and that AD is a bit out of the way compared to Raffi's. not sure what to do at this point. I have called literally every AD from Windsor to St. Johns and no one had a watch available to purchase or a proper waitlist. they only offered "interest lists" where they would call you if there is space on the list.
Visit the store in person and Raffi (Sq One) will sell you a Sub or GMT. It may take a few visits, they have them sitting in the case but won't sell them to a random person walking in the store. Forget RDV, they won't sell any steel watches to a walk in customer.
cityboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 03:50 AM   #43
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
IMHO it’s too much.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 03:50 AM   #44
mendoncam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy10 View Post
Visit the store in person and Raffi (Sq One) will sell you a Sub or GMT. It may take a few visits, they have them sitting in the case but won't sell them to a random person walking in the store. Forget RDV, they won't sell any steel watches to a walk in customer.
Cityboy, if you dont mind, could you DM me your number? I would love to have a chat. I was contemplating doing something like that but wasn't sure how it would work.
Old 22 February 2019, 03:54 AM   #45
ZOOK
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:

There are more buyers than product right now. You can't just walk into and AD and point to a S/S watch in the display case and say "I'll take that one."

To weed out the speculators and profiteers, the AD is requiring you to prove yourself. A profiteer wouldn't leave his money tied up this way.

As long as you are assured you will receive a refund; not a store credit; if the watch doesn't arrive in the length of time you are willing to wait, I would recommend placing the deposit. Sounds like you have shopped around and know what your options are.

Good luck.
ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 03:58 AM   #46
mendoncam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOK View Post
There are more buyers than product right now. You can't just walk into and AD and point to a S/S watch in the display case and say "I'll take that one."

To weed out the speculators and profiteers, the AD is requiring you to prove yourself. A profiteer wouldn't leave his money tied up this way.

As long as you are assured you will receive a refund; not a store credit; if the watch doesn't arrive in the length of time you are willing to wait, I would recommend placing the deposit. Sounds like you have shopped around and know what your options are.

Good luck.
thank you! they did guarantee a full refund after 8 months and from what I can see, there is a large "Watch Flipping" game happening in Toronto. I guess thats why ADs are requiring this.
Old 22 February 2019, 03:59 AM   #47
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Last year I made a € 1000 downpayment for a BLRO and a second € 1000 for a SubC LV.
Wait time according to AD between 2-4 years.
For a SubC LN I was put on the waiting list for free. 6 months later I bought the LN at MSRP.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 04:02 AM   #48
joerivers1961
"TRF" Member

I have a hard time trusting a dealer that wants a deposit these days. Back when they needed to move watches I would understand but now? It's a sure sale. Unless it's what they call a "Special Order" in which case I doubt they can special order a Sub, deposits are never needed.
joerivers1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 04:04 AM   #49
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
Sorry this is BS.
Never pay 100% deposit, infact I wouldn’t pay more than 20% deposit for a watch unless that they can guarantee a delivery date.
Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 04:22 AM   #50
mendoncam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy10 View Post
Hey Cityboy. I sent a DM to you but it won't send for some reason. im not sure why.
Old 22 February 2019, 05:04 AM   #51
rb250
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Seiko
I went to an AD today which I have never done business with before. I got on the “waiting list” for a as sub date as well. I asked how do I get on the list? She said just give me your name and number. I was supposedly the 3rd person on the list. Who knows if I will ever get a call, but I can’t hurt anything.
rb250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 05:07 AM   #52
mendoncam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb250 View Post
I went to an AD today which I have never done business with before. I got on the “waiting list” for a as sub date as well. I asked how do I get on the list? She said just give me your name and number. I was supposedly the 3rd person on the list. Who knows if I will ever get a call, but I can’t hurt anything.
My ADs said they are interest lists, not waitlists.
Old 22 February 2019, 05:18 AM   #53
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey Cityboy. I sent a DM to you but it won't send for some reason. im not sure why.

It doesn't show as sent for some reason, but it does send. I had this issue as well.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 05:29 AM   #54
strettyend
"TRF" Member

These AD’s are trying to make mugs of us...
AP ROC 26315or; AP RO 15450st; Vacheron Fiftysix; Day Date RG 228235 Olive; Daytona YG 116528; Daytona YG Oysterflex 116518; Cartier Santos de Cartier Rose Gold; Panerai PAM 0048; IWC Portofino Chrono; Girard-Perregaux Richeville
strettyend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 05:29 AM   #55
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirC View Post
I don't really "get" any of this deposit BS.

I will pay a vetted dealer/collector a bit of a premium, get the damn watch and enjoy it NOW. Putting down a deposit of any amount on a watch with delivery being that ambiguous is absurd. I bought a 126600 at 10% over retail 2 months ago and do not regret the purchase or what I paid.
I am starting to have this same thought. Not for Daytonas and BLRO's mind you - I am not in the business of paying 80-100% over retail for anything - I will just not have it. However, looking at SD43's for about a grand over what I would pay locally (plus tax) isn't seeming so bad when no ADs have any news or time frame or anything. I love the patience route, but to me this entire thing is getting absurd.

I am also looking vintage now, but learning from the folks on the vintage forum has taught me I don't quite know enough yet to really jump in yet. And lastly, thinking about watches other than Rolex tbh.

Interesting times...
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 05:34 AM   #56
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
AD Full Deposit for Allocation?

Don’t see the big issue to be honest. And I don’t blame AD’s for trying it.

I see people on here put their name on multiple lists and that’s likely what has caused this.

Let’s face it, they’re not doing it because they are worried they won’t be able to sell it.

Imagine the scenario.

OP walks in to AD and puts name on list, at number four.

AD believes they will get four to sell in next 12 months.

Long-standing customer comes into AD and asks for a Sub. AD explains that it will be next year. Loyal customer decides to go elsewhere and suddenly develops a relationship with another AD. Original AD never sees him again.

AD calls OP in 8 months when the watch comes in. OP has bought elsewhere.

Sure, AD can sell to someone else, but they’ve lost a good customer because of a chancer playing the numbers game.

And worth noting that I put down a 10% deposit on my Patek which is not a long way off the price of the Sub, and yet nobody would have thought that strange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 06:15 AM   #57
ZOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post

Imagine the scenario.

OP walks in to AD and puts name on list, at number four.

AD believes they will get four to sell in next 12 months.

Long-standing customer comes into AD and asks for a Sub. AD explains that it will be next year. Loyal customer decides to go elsewhere and suddenly develops a relationship with another AD. Original AD never sees him again.

AD calls OP in 8 months when the watch comes in. OP has bought elsewhere.

Sure, AD can sell to someone else, but they’ve lost a good customer because of a chancer playing the numbers game.

My guess.

In that scenario, the AD would tell everyone 3 to 8 month wait, but call the long standing customer first when the Sub arrived. Us newbies gotta wait our turn. And if the OP places a deposit, they know he probably isn't waiting for a call from another AD and they think they will get another watch before the 8 months promised.
Old 22 February 2019, 06:27 AM   #58
ZOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
I am starting to have this same thought. Not for Daytonas and BLRO's mind you - I am not in the business of paying 80-100% over retail for anything - I will just not have it. However, looking at SD43's for about a grand over what I would pay locally (plus tax) isn't seeming so bad when no ADs have any news or time frame or anything. I love the patience route, but to me this entire thing is getting absurd.

I am also looking vintage now, but learning from the folks on the vintage forum has taught me I don't quite know enough yet to really jump in yet. And lastly, thinking about watches other than Rolex tbh.

Interesting times...
Your signature shows you are three deep into your Rolex collection. Did you buy those from one AD? And still don't get a clear answer on SD43 availability? Pretty discouraging to this newbie.
Old 22 February 2019, 06:29 AM   #59
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
To me, a deposit is very reasonable, full payment is not.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 06:42 AM   #60
Junior_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
Agree with dtwer. A deposit is reasonable, but not the full amount.

I'd go grey market for a SubC before I put down 100% with a 3 to 8 month wait.
Junior_ is offline   Reply With Quote