The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 6 November 2012, 09:18 AM   #1
bycrom
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Hesalite crystal... is it OK?

I searched for the answer for this on the forums but let me quickly ask...

I just bought a 116610LN which as made me realize that a quality watch is worth every penny. I have always admired the speedmaster moonwatch and am planning on making it my next, but I am wondering if the Hesalite crystal is OK vs Sapphire?

I hear it scratches easily and in fact the couple of places I have gone to check it out have only carried the sapphire version. I am not needing to be technically correct with my upcoming speedy but if the Hesalite crystal is considered OK then might has well stay faithful.

Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts!
bycrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2012, 09:39 AM   #2
wjk_glynn
"TRF" Member

Here's how I'd compare and contrast them...
  • Hesalite will scratch much more easily than Sapphire, but it's also easy to polish out those Hesalite scratches with something like Polywatch.
  • Hesalite and Sapphire are both quite tough. But if Sapphire shatters, you'll get shards everywhere including in the movement (so you should immediately pull out the crown and hack/stop the movement until repaired). If Hesalite is shattered, I don't think it breaks up into such small pieces (but again, you should stop the movement if this happens).
  • Hesalite has a different appearance and to my eyes, it's a bit 'warmer' than Sapphire.

I definitely recommend seeing a Hesalite watch in the flesh before you make your decision. Variety is the spice of life...

Your local Omega AD should have some examples of a standard Hesalite speedy in stock. Did you visit an Omega AD?

Karl.
wjk_glynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2012, 09:54 AM   #3
bycrom
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjk_glynn View Post
  • Hesalite will scratch much more easily than Sapphire, but it's also easy to polish out those Hesalite scratches with something like Polywatch.
  • Hesalite and Sapphire are both quite tough. But if Sapphire shatters, you'll get shards everywhere including in the movement (so you should immediately pull out the crown and hack/stop the movement until repaired). If Hesalite is shattered, I don't think it breaks up into such small pieces (but again, you should stop the movement if this happens).
  • Hesalite has a different appearance and to my eyes, it's a bit 'warmer' than Sapphire.

I definitely recommend seeing a Hesalite watch in the flesh before you make your decision. Variety is the spice of life...

Your local Omega AD should have some examples of a standard Hesalite speedy in stock. Did you visit an Omega AD?

Karl.
Thanks Karl this is great!

Yes they said they were Omega AD, one had only a very limited supply b/c they were discontinuing carrying them and the other only had Sapphire.
bycrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2012, 09:57 AM   #4
richardew
"TRF" Member

The hesalite has a bit of a domed shape, the sapphire flat. The hesalite has more of a warm glow. The idea of polishing the crystal is at first intimidating but it is no more of a job than shining a pair of shoes. NASA choose hesalite because it doesn't shatter like the sapphire crystal. This would be a disaster in space with no gravity.
Here is an early morning photo of the speedy w/hesalite crystal
richardew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2012, 10:18 AM   #5
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
LOVE Hesalite...On my Speedmaster Professional Moon Watch!
Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2012, 11:15 AM   #6
wjk_glynn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bycrom View Post
...they said they were Omega AD, one had only a very limited supply b/c they were discontinuing carrying them and the other only had Sapphire.
I only just realized you live in the Bay Area. If you live in the south bay, I know the following have Hesalite Speedys in stock (but call ahead to be sure):
  • CH Premier Jewelers in Westfield Valley Fair Mall (Santa Clara) -- They'll discuss price.
  • Tourneau in Santana Row (Santa Clara) -- Seem to be less flexible on price

Karl.
Old 6 November 2012, 11:21 AM   #7
Andrés G
"TRF" Member

I've never had a problem with mine. Two great watches to own.

Andrés G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2012, 10:29 PM   #8
Kobin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Hesalite, definitely. It's fairly easy to look after, it's indeed warm, it's the original crystal. It belongs to the Speedmaster. Sapphire is quite frankly modern rubbish.
Kobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2012, 10:45 PM   #9
Ramiks
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and others
If you are still concerned you may go for the 3573 (Sapphire Sandwich) or 3576 (with date and moon phase), or even with brown dial (Chocolate), where you may enjoy the view of the movement as well in such models…
You may check both models here:

http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/sp...watch/35735000

http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/sp...watch/35765000

Yet I would vote for the original with heslite glass.
Ramiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2012, 07:29 AM   #10
dieseldragon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω & ♛
got to be HESALITE for a Speedy.

but it will scratch easily, but polywatch sorts it, but this is part of the charm.
Old 7 November 2012, 07:34 AM   #11
Rodentman
Banned

I have the 3753 sapphire sandwich and I like the look, the durability of the crystal, and the view back. Vintage look, no, but I prefer the sapphire. YMMV...
Rodentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2012, 08:08 AM   #12
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
I have 5 sapphire crystal watches and 2 hesalite. I'm pretty tough on watches. In my experience, sapphire is definitely more durable and I don't have to polish the scratches out, but it is more subject to smudges and fingerprints. However, a shattered sapphire can scratch the dial and leave shards in the inner works. Which do I wear more often? Speedy Pro hesalite. It does have the benefit of not having the reflection problem of a flat, polished surface. If I can get a sapphire crystal installed on it, I might consider a change out next time it gets serviced.

DD OysterQuartz
Brietling Aero
Omega Speedmaster Pro
GTS Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2012, 09:23 AM   #13
Transient
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
My Speedy is covered with scratches and my local AD buffs them out for me every few months free of charge.
Hesalite is the way to go if you want an authentic moon watch....
Transient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2012, 09:58 AM   #14
rodrob59
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG DD 18238
After 3 years mine only has a few scratches that are visible in bright sunlight, but nothing I'm worrying about.
Old 13 November 2012, 06:04 PM   #15
Nucengineer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Navitmer 1 B01
Regular white tooth paste works well on scratches also. I have owned both and currently have the 3572.50 Hesalite/saphire combo. Best of both worlds IMHO. The hesalite just looks vintage which is what the look of the speedy is all about.

Regards,

Jim
Nucengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2012, 03:12 AM   #16
bde
"TRF" Member

Watch: -aholics anonymous
Hesalite has such a beautiful warm vintage look about it that it's worth the occasional scratch. As many others have mentioned, they can be easily buffed out. I used to be obsessive over buffing out every little scratch, but now I just let them be. They kind of add to the vintage vibe, like a faded Sub or GMT Master bezel.
bde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2012, 11:24 PM   #17
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

The Hesalite on my Speedmaster has been holding up just fine to everyday wear - it's taken a couple of reasonably hard knocks (that probably would have chipped a sapphire crystal) and shrugged them off with only a small mark. A few hairline scratches as well (which are barely noticeable), so after a year and a half, it's still looking great. Hesalite has a real character that sapphire lacks, it's also much easier to read in direct sunlight than untreated sapphire
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2012, 11:37 PM   #18
dhl1010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega
I love the Hesalite on my speedmaster....

dhl1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2012, 03:19 PM   #19
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Owned one for a while with Hesalite, never had a problem with it.

Get some polywatch on amazon and polish away whenever you feel like you need to.

Like it better than the sapphire sandwich, and it's cheaper!
Old 15 November 2012, 06:01 PM   #20
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx=3, Tdr=3, Om=3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjk_glynn View Post

Karl.
A bit tricky to do with a non-hacking movement.....but I prefer the Hesalite....also the watch feels a lot lighter on the wrist as the plastic is a lot lighter than the crystal
Colnago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2012, 01:47 AM   #21
wjk_glynn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colnago View Post
A bit tricky to do with a non-hacking movement....
How on earth did I miss that one.

I wonder how one would halt a Speedy movement? I know if you pull out the crown and apply a bit of back pressure it'll stop the sweep... but obviously not a practical approach for more than a few minutes.

Karl.
Old 16 November 2012, 03:33 AM   #22
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
Turn the watch face-down and give it a little shake and a few taps. Then, keep it laid face-down until the spring unwinds.
GTS Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2012, 02:28 PM   #23
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx=3, Tdr=3, Om=3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
Turn the watch face-down and give it a little shake and a few taps. Then, keep it laid face-down until the spring unwinds.
That's probably the safest option.....I have shattered a plexi crystal on a DateJust before and of course I hacked the movement, however as the earlier post suggests, they break up in an entirely different manner....plus although the plastic is hard it is nowhere near as hard as a synthetic Sapphire crystal and would probably cause less damage even if very small pieces did manage to make it into the movement....also bear in mind of course that the watch we're talking about here is a non-date model, so the only route to the movement would be through the very centre of the dial......unlikely very many bits if any would make it through......a date window is another matter - direct route to the movement - and quite a large orifice to boot!
Colnago is offline   Reply With Quote