The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 1 November 2012, 10:09 PM   #1
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Omega ~ The end of the road

Ploprof lasted just over 2 years,then suddenly gained an hour in 6 hours running.Got a quote from the distributors.Expensive.Can only test to 1000m.If rated at 1200m needs to fly to the swiss,at even higher expense.

This was my first Omega ...and my last.

Proceeds from selling will contribute to my Rolex fund.

TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2012, 10:37 PM   #2
316lad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Ploprof lasted just over 2 years,then suddenly gained an hour in 6 hours running.Got a quote from the distributors.Expensive.Can only test to 1000m.If rated at 1200m needs to fly to the swiss,at even higher expense.

I'm sorry to hear that but you should probably keep in mind that your Rolex is not necessarily going to prove any more reliable than Omega.
Both companies can send out duff watches which made it past QC testing.
316lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2012, 10:40 PM   #3
brkanand
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 4=YMDaytonaGMTHulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by 316lad View Post
I'm sorry to hear that but you should probably keep in mind that your Rolex is not necessarily going to prove any more reliable than Omega.
Well said! Or for that matter other high end brands. Some of us just happen to be relatively speaking, a bit luckier with our watches!!
brkanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2012, 03:23 AM   #4
psv
"TRF" Member

Well, they same holds true for e.g. Panerai so if you have a PAM 243 or something deeper a simple service requires the watch to go back to Switzerland. I wonder if the same doesn't hold true for service to the Deepsea as well?

Regardless, I hope there is nothing seriously wrong (read: expensive) with your Omega. It comes with 4 years warranty on the movement so I assume you should be covered?
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2012, 04:11 AM   #5
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Just out of curiosity, are you going to be diving deeper than 1000 meters???
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2012, 04:12 AM   #6
ManUtd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Well, they same holds true for e.g. Panerai so if you have a PAM 243 or something deeper a simple service requires the watch to go back to Switzerland. I wonder if the same doesn't hold true for service to the Deepsea as well?

Regardless, I hope there is nothing seriously wrong (read: expensive) with your Omega. It comes with 4 years warranty on the movement so I assume you should be covered?
I also thought the warranty was 4 years but Omega says it's only 2 years.
ManUtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2012, 04:50 AM   #7
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Sounds like the watch has been magnetized. If that's the case it's a $20 job that can be carried out by any competent watchmaker. It would seem a shame to toss out a very good watch for something that can happen to any mechanical watch, regardless of price.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2012, 04:59 AM   #8
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUtd View Post
I also thought the warranty was 4 years but Omega says it's only 2 years.
That's for warranty work. On new watches, they offer a 2 year guarantee on non-Co-Axial watches, a 3 year warranty on Co-Axial, and a 4 year warranty on Co-Axial with Si14 hairsprings.

To the OP, as it's a movement issue, it should be fixed under warranty
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2012, 05:55 AM   #9
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
That's for warranty work. On new watches, they offer a 2 year guarantee on non-Co-Axial watches, a 3 year warranty on Co-Axial, and a 4 year warranty on Co-Axial with Si14 hairsprings.

Exactly. This sould be covered under warranty, and as pointed out it might very well be an issue related to magnitization. Call Omega again, ask to speak to the service manager, they should be able to fix in-country. Tell them you are fine if the test to 900 m.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2012, 07:38 AM   #10
WyoWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT and Sub C
While I understand where you're coming from, if you like the watch, keep it and get it repaired. While Omega does have a horrible reputation in a lot of instances for crap service and things not done right, they are really no different than any other company. Things happen. Case in point: My 2 year old 116610 Sub C has been back to RSC Dallas three times now. Finally it looks like they got things right this time and hopefully it lasts until a regular scheduled service. I've also heard cases of $100,000+ Vacheron Constantin and Patek Phillipe watches arriving to their new owners dead on arrival. $150,000+ cars can have problems just as often as much cheaper domestic vehicles.... it's a mechanical item with moving parts, things will happen. Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do.
WyoWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2012, 08:43 PM   #11
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Nope,for my account Not happy !!
Old 2 November 2012, 08:53 PM   #12
oceandweller

Icon7 I only can afford vintage watches, not the new ones

Quote:

Thank God, I cannot afford to buy those new watches. Not only they are expensive but void of character relative to the vintage ones.
oceandweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2012, 11:35 PM   #13
TARDIS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 316lad View Post
Yes but the likelihood of a lemon is far far less with a Rolex IMO.
TARDIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2012, 11:54 PM   #14
Jeelan
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Just saw this thread and wanted to respond to your comments about testing to 1000m.

I had Breitling Seawolf a couple of years ago and it went for service to the local Breitling service centre in Aus. I queried about the testing process as well (the Seawolf is rated to 3000m).

The Breitling rep rang me to explain that outside of the actual manufactory itself, most places wont hv the facility to test for 3000m. In most circumstances, the case is tested to that depth for integrity at the point of manufacture to ensure it doesnt flex or bend out of shape. From what I was told, its almost NEVER tested to that depth with a movement in it, and certainly never tested to that depth during the life of the watch once it gets sold....

I was satisfied with his explanation and can fully understand that very few distributors or watchmakers would hv the necessary equipment to test for those types of pressures.... and in my opinion, after having spoken to Breitling rep that rang me, it would be a needless excercise.

just my 2c worth, even though you've obviously decided to forgo this brand.

cheers
Jeelan
Jeelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2012, 01:06 AM   #15
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

I'm still sticking with my original diagnosis that the watch is magnetized. It's easy to demagnetize the watch (cost about $20). The pressure testing could wait until the watch needs to be serviced in about 3 years time.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2012, 03:12 AM   #16
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nope,for my account Not happy !!
Wow, I would be livid. I can see exactly why you want to get rid of it!
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2012, 04:30 AM   #17
dsio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680 '79
Quote:
Originally Posted by TARDIS View Post
Yes but the likelihood of a lemon is far far less with a Rolex IMO.
Well... I wouldn't go that far tbh. This sounds very much like its been magnetized or dropped hard, Cal 8500 has thus far proven to be a more reliable movement than the Rolex 3135 but nothing's impervious.
-- Rolex Submariner 1680 "Ghost" '79 --
-- Rolex SS Daytona 116520 '04 --
dsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2012, 09:01 AM   #18
SynMike

The Omega boutique here demagnetized my 10 year old SMP for free.
SynMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2012, 02:09 PM   #19
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
Well... I wouldn't go that far tbh. This sounds very much like its been magnetized or dropped hard, Cal 8500 has thus far proven to be a more reliable movement than the Rolex 3135 but nothing's impervious.
Dont know about being magnetized (the service centre surely would have excluded that ??) but I can assure you that I do not drop my watches.Before it suddenly ran fast this was one of my most accurate watches,+0.5s per day.Lovely watch,loved the design and the weight.Other problem is the crown,didnt push back cleanly soon after purchase.Hopefully they sort that out now too.

3135 is a very reliable and accurate movement.
Old 3 November 2012, 08:32 PM   #20
dsio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680 '79
Quote:
Dont know about being magnetized (the service centre surely would have excluded that ??) but I can assure you that I do not drop my watches.Before it suddenly ran fast this was one of my most accurate watches,+0.5s per day.Lovely watch,loved the design and the weight.Other problem is the crown,didnt push back cleanly soon after purchase.Hopefully they sort that out now too.

3135 is a very reliable and accurate movement.
It depends who you ask, it has the same weak point that my 1570 submariner has due to the cheap design of the winding mechanism leading to premature failure that they haven't fixed since it was released in the 80s, with the Daytona, YM2 and Skydweller movements they fixed that and given the SkyDweller appears to have a modular design it could be a time only varient of the Rolex Cal 9001 that becomes the new Rolex workhorse movement.

The thing with the 8500 is from a physics perspective, there's no way a watch can speed up that much without the amplitude of the balance having been shorted dramatically, either by the hairspring being magnetised or damaged by a severe shock. Its not like a worn out watch where the amplitude has slowly decreased over time and the watch has slowly sped up, the cause is an actual physical event, as the hairspring doesn't magically get shorter on its own.
-- Rolex Submariner 1680 "Ghost" '79 --
-- Rolex SS Daytona 116520 '04 --
dsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2012, 10:56 AM   #21
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:

4 years on the 8500 without the si 14 also

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2012, 06:08 AM   #22
00Seven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega
Is the watch out of warranty? The 8500 only recently received the Si14 and the 4-year warranty. Before that, it was the normal 3-year warranty w/ all co-axial movements.
00Seven is offline   Reply With Quote