The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 27 July 2008, 05:10 PM   #1
billio7
"TRF" Member

Icon20 16610LV Green bezels: 2 different colours.

I recently bought myself a 16610LV (Green bezel submariner). I absolutely love the watch, but when I returned to the store to decide which watch I would like next (ie in about 20 years) i noticed something peculiar with another 16610LV in the store's stock.

The bezel was a completely different shade of green. Mine is a yellow-green, while the stock item was a much deeper green. The difference was obvious even before I placed the two side by side.

I have since seen one other watch with my colored bezel, and many with the deeper green. Has anyone else noticed this?
billio7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2008, 06:14 PM   #2
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
The Anniversary year bezel was a different green and IMO there might also be other greens out there.
Here's my 'green'
Note hour, minute and second hands clear of text for all WIS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06435a.jpg (72.1 KB, 4708 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2008, 06:11 AM   #3
kudosguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: DeepSea
Mine is a deeper green, however, I have seen some with lighter green bezels. I think the first LV's had a deep green bezel, however I think Rolex experimented with the colour, hence the lighter green; the M serials seem to be a lot darker than the Z.
kudosguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2008, 03:57 AM   #4
stevenshin
"TRF" Member

Great info, thanks. I am casually looking for one and didn't realize the shades are different!
stevenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2008, 05:37 AM   #5
mfer
"TRF" Member

Never knew that. TRF teaches me again!
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2008, 12:24 AM   #6
valentine
Banned

Watch: TT Diamond DJ
I have a D series LV...and it has the older yellow-green look to it....and it is true that the newer models have a much "richer" green....less yellow...more turqoise added....I blend colors for a living...so I can see where Rolex was trying to go with this....also...does anyone know why Rolex chose "green" for their anniversary models??? I am under the impression that this is Rolex's flagship color....hence the color changes...perhaps to be nearer to the "rolex green?" just a thought....
valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2008, 02:28 AM   #7
pricojorge
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea dweller.
i used to have the darker shade of green, looked really good, i dont like the light shade of green doesnt look too right to me
Old 8 August 2008, 03:27 AM   #8
stevenshin
"TRF" Member

Anyone have a bunch of pictures that might show some of the differences?
stevenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2008, 09:26 AM   #9
VDENTALS
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX LV
whats the differens of the Rolex Submariner 16610LV and 16610V
VDENTALS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 08:47 PM   #10
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billio7 View Post
I recently bought myself a 16610LV (Green bezel submariner). I absolutely love the watch, but when I returned to the store to decide which watch I would like next (ie in about 20 years) i noticed something peculiar with another 16610LV in the store's stock.

The bezel was a completely different shade of green. Mine is a yellow-green, while the stock item was a much deeper green. The difference was obvious even before I placed the two side by side.

I have since seen one other watch with my colored bezel, and many with the deeper green. Has anyone else noticed this?
Yes, you're correct. I own an M-series LV bought 2 weeks ago and placed it side-by-side with one bought by a friend in 2004 (not sure of what series it is) and you can see clearly that the current model has a darker bezel.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2008, 03:09 AM   #11
Spare201
Banned

Watch: 1970 Day-Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudosguy View Post
Mine is a deeper green, however, I have seen some with lighter green bezels. I think the first LV's had a deep green bezel, however I think Rolex experimented with the colour, hence the lighter green; the M serials seem to be a lot darker than the Z.
Yes and no. The first run of bezels for the anniversay year were slightly different. Rolex bought all of their suppliers and moved them in house, after the first run of LVs were complete. They decided to keep the LV as a regular run watch and they made the bezel a slightly different shade to differenciate them.
Spare201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2008, 10:49 PM   #12
peter@bmfurniture.co
"TRF" Member

In answer to why green for the bezel on the LV I beleive it is the next best colour after black when used as a sub should be underwater. Something to do with light and wave length while underwater. In regard to the LV being limited in one sense yes it is Rolex produce fewer LV Subs than normal Subs so in this sense it is limited. as with all Rolex there will be people who will pay more to be different (why is a Comex seadweller worth so much ?) it only has comex on the dial! the difference in dial colour may be more important in the future as the new Sub is made available in SS in around two years the LV will become more of a rare beast than the normal Sub the differences are small maxi dial bigger fingers green bezel but how many of you out there know about the five min dial (where the swiss made touches the two min indicators both after and before the 30mins indicator at six oclock) Only the LV has this. it may be a very small difference but who would have thought a red Sub would be worth so much when buying one all those years ago. I am a person who thinks you should wish to wear a rolex for reasons other than future gain enjoy them and when you look at the dial to see what time it is wonder how much Mr Wilsdorf is laughing at us all thinking about how much we are all paying for a Rolex now.
peter@bmfurniture.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2008, 03:58 AM   #13
Spare201
Banned

Watch: 1970 Day-Date
You did make some valid points. The Comex seadweller is unusual because like the Tiffany and Company sub it is an oddity because normally Rolex doesn't allow their watches to be "branded". Like I said though a "limited edition" is when you know the total produced and what number in that production run your watch is.

The above aren't true limited edition watches... they are noted as a rarity in the business. However, no accurate figures exist on total production. Rolex doesn't want a figure released on any of their watches because it could create a much stronger gray market.
Spare201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2008, 09:29 AM   #14
DCG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
I have wanted to get a Sub LV from the beginning when it was first released. I finally got an M series. I did notice when the colors changed. (I visited the ADs many times before I bought one). I believe the colors evolved in this order:

Early release to latest:

2003 F series was a pure green with almost metallic look in the paint.

2005 D series was the light green, almost a lime green. (I did not like this as it already looked somewhat faded in the stores) This blended into the 2006 Z series some what.

2007-08 M series has the deepest green yet with a non metallic look in the paint.
Old 7 October 2008, 02:18 PM   #15
gaz122
"TRF" Member

I have the M series and i like this richer in green rather than the yellowish green.
gaz122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2008, 09:06 PM   #16
adr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
I have wanted to get a Sub LV from the beginning when it was first released. I finally got an M series. I did notice when the colors changed. (I visited the ADs many times before I bought one). I believe the colors evolved in this order:

Early release to latest:

2003 F series was a pure green with almost metallic look in the paint.

2005 D series was the light green, almost a lime green. (I did not like this as it already looked somewhat faded in the stores) This blended into the 2006 Z series some what.

2007-08 M series has the deepest green yet with a non metallic look in the paint.

wow, good info . TQ guys. ... & DCG you rock.

im considering a Sub LV in search for the short production unusual series.

anyone seen the V series ?
adr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2008, 12:57 AM   #17
harvey
"TRF" Member

in contrast to some of the post above... i thought the earlier lvs had the darker, more richer colour...

heres my d series bought in 2005, the pic was taken about six months ago...

Old 17 October 2008, 09:57 AM   #18
cikez5252

Wow that is nice! I really like the green.
cikez5252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2008, 11:04 AM   #19
hba

Watch: hmm a rolex
There is a different font used as well...

this is most clear at the number five ...

Best, Herman
hba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2008, 02:14 PM   #20
The Mole
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
The bezels are always greener on the other side of the case...

Sorry I couldn't resist.
Inaugural Conference of the 12th International Chronometer Congress, October 2004.
The Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2008, 08:30 AM   #21
DCG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey.eu View Post
in contrast to some of the post above... i thought the earlier lvs had the darker, more richer colour...

heres my d series bought in 2005, the pic was taken about six months ago...

Harvey has brought up a point. I should have put a better description for the D series. I am going off what I remember in stores. Problem is every store has different lighting and second I have a photo of my M in the same exact position as Harvey but it looks the same or slightly darker. It comes down to the lighting when viewing the watch.

To the best of my knowledge again,

Early release to latest:

2003 F series was a pure green (deep or rich) with a slight metallic look in the paint.

2005 D series also a deep green similar to the F

2006 Z series has some what a light green, almost a lime green look.

2007-08 M series has yet again a deep medium green with a non metallic look in the paint.
Old 21 October 2008, 11:29 PM   #22
Lol-x
Facilitator

My LV is a "Y" serial and so I would put it as being one of the first ever made.

My opinion is that it has a lighter green bezel than later versions I have seen

Strange isn't it looking at this photo you could almost call the colour of the bezel anything from metallic green to almost black

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2008, 08:00 AM   #23
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
I thought I posted this suggestion last night, but I don't see it here now...

For the digitally and photographically inclined:

-shoot the watch next to a gray card
-post or link to the actual RAW files

That way, one of us (or any of us) can grab them all and process them identically to get a true idea of the variation. All of the various member images could be compiled into a single reference comparison image for members to use as a resource.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 10:38 PM   #24
Dr S

Watch: 1665/16610lv/16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
My LV is a "Y" serial and so I would put it as being one of the first ever made.

My opinion is that it has a lighter green bezel than later versions I have seen

Strange isn't it looking at this photo you could almost call the colour of the bezel anything from metallic green to almost black
Does yours have Lug holes in the side of the case?

Y series is the 2003 production and could be said to be the only true 50th Anniversary 16610lv watch. I sold mine shortly after purchase as I could resist the huge offer - have 3 of them now - F D and Z
Dr S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 05:29 AM   #25
Dr S

Watch: 1665/16610lv/16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter@bmfurniture.co View Post
In answer to why green for the bezel on the LV I beleive it is the next best colour after black when used as a sub should be underwater. Something to do with light and wave length while underwater. In regard to the LV being limited in one sense yes it is Rolex produce fewer LV Subs than normal Subs so in this sense it is limited. as with all Rolex there will be people who will pay more to be different (why is a Comex seadweller worth so much ?) it only has comex on the dial! the difference in dial colour may be more important in the future as the new Sub is made available in SS in around two years the LV will become more of a rare beast than the normal Sub the differences are small maxi dial bigger fingers green bezel but how many of you out there know about the five min dial (where the swiss made touches the two min indicators both after and before the 30mins indicator at six oclock) Only the LV has this. it may be a very small difference but who would have thought a red Sub would be worth so much when buying one all those years ago. I am a person who thinks you should wish to wear a rolex for reasons other than future gain enjoy them and when you look at the dial to see what time it is wonder how much Mr Wilsdorf is laughing at us all thinking about how much we are all paying for a Rolex now.

No it's green because that is Rolex colour - boxes - second hand dial - bezel - crystal - I see a pattern - nothing to do with diving - if anything the light spectrum would suggest green and lighter blues shoukld be avoided under water. Omega looked at all cvolours and came up with...

yes you guessed it - Orange!
Dr S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2008, 03:31 AM   #26
uscmex
"TRF" Member

This is all very interesting guys! Mine is an F Series and looks darker.
uscmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2008, 11:14 PM   #27
josem
"TRF" Member

Hi.
Some one knows wat type of packing had the first serie of 50th annyversari series?
It's the actual one or is the wood packing case.?

Thanks
josem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2008, 02:25 AM   #28
josem
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josem View Post
Hi.
Some one knows wat type of packing had the first serie of 50th annyversari series?
It's the actual one or is the wood packing case.?

Thanks
Someone knows that? Thank you.
josem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2008, 06:31 AM   #29
normandy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Color Difference

I also noticed the color difference on 16710, The Pepsi and Coke insert have darker/richer red, almost like maroon and metallic (Look nice), while the other have lighter shade of red.
normandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2008, 02:31 AM   #30
The_Diver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Hey guys!

Sooo now I'm lost as to what year/version I have...I never really paid attention until now.

Can anyone help me with this?

This photo is photoshopped so maybe the colors won't be able to help ( I don't know if there's anything else that could thought )

This one I just took

I've had this for a few years so I can safely rule out that it's not a newer model.
The_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote