The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 February 2019, 04:01 PM   #61
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
You really believe that? Please man we are grown ups here.

Even IF he doesnt like it it he will "magically" love that piece post a picture on TRF and it will land at a grays within a week.

Who cares what he does with it. It’s his watch

@jps3b
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 04:04 PM   #62
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
I think the Beanie Babies craze got to this same level just before it collapsed.

Not predicting the same fate, but it has that same gotta have the new one feel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This is more like tickle me Elmo

@jps3b
Old 15 February 2019, 04:06 PM   #63
mjr24
Banned

I don't see the issue. I would bet something desirable is going to come out of Basel.....if not to OP, to someone else.

No different than a popular car that comes out....pay for first on the list. If you love it, drive it. If not, sell it.

At worst, OP gets his money back once he sells.
mjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 04:07 PM   #64
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
Relax. Your assumptions are way off. First, you group me in the “they,” with no knowledge of such. Second, if I was a chronic flipper, why on earth would I announce my devious tactics to the TRF world. To me, this forum is supposed to be a group of people that share a common interest - a passion for watches, in particular Rolex watches. Third, not that it matters, I have a very nice collection and would rather own the new piece than flip, I have a job that does not involve selling watches. Further, not all that long ago I traded off an SD43 that I bought from this AD. Before I did so I called them and offered back to them, when they declined I traded towards a Moonphase from a Grey on this site - with my ADs full knowledge. I believe if they caught me flipping right out of the gate that would nuke my relationship with them. You clearly find hard to believe that there may be honest, trustworthy people that value the relationship and the interest in the hobby over making a quick dollar. Jaded for sure. I’m sorry you feel that way. My assumption is that you can’t get a piece you’re after, which does suck, and somehow that is a universal infraction by the “theys” of this world.

Don’t waste your time with this dude Easy. He’s a hater through and through. He’s just mad that you “got bitches galore” he might have a lot, but you have much more

@jps3b
Old 15 February 2019, 04:10 PM   #65
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

im glad you have the #1 slot. However I tend to think that any AD you have a relationship with that will put you down for an unknown watch that hasn't been announced with an unknown delivery date means that a deposit is totally unnecessary to begin with IMO as they are putting you down based on no information at all so charging for that is weird to me.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 04:12 PM   #66
edyu
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps3b View Post
Yeah Ed!! I knew you would be in it to win it we should start throwing Basel watch parties.

@jps3b
Hey Jerry! Maybe Cabo watch meetup. :)
Not sure what I would want for Basel this year. If nothing is interesting then I would probably just get a YM2 (maybe the WG one) or go cheap and get the SS one. :)
Not sure whether I care about new sub (assuming one comes along). A cool looking milgauss could be interesting since it has the scientist association.
edyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 04:22 PM   #67
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Did you ask the AD if you could do this now for the next 10 yrs. of Bazel release dates?
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 04:26 PM   #68
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
There are a number of rumors of a new sub and/or the blue SS sub with the new 3235 movement.

I think it is worth a punt.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 04:31 PM   #69
belutak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Variety
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montremoi View Post
The real question being : how much did you pay ?

Another real question is will a 2019 Rolex bring joy and happiness tonyour life ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
belutak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 04:39 PM   #70
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Good luck! Glad you have the $ to put down.
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 04:40 PM   #71
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
I know this is going to make a few heads pop, but I just put down a deposit with my preferred AD for the first slot on a 2019 release. In the event that 2019 is a non-E inspiring release cycle I will just roll that to another piece I already have on order. I asked, they asked, I agreed, they agreed, all good. And, yes I believe they will keep me in the top slot. These guys take good care of me in that regard. I know its odd to pre-pay for such, but he said, and I believe them that they are already getting a lot of calls to be first. Money down wins.

E-
If you trust the AD, totally reasonable. I put down a sizable deposit on an Explorer II, a gift for my partner. Our amazing rep (thank you, Jason) was up front. They didn’t know when they’d get the next one. But, six weeks later, he called. The watch was in. And we had a very special anniversary celebration.

The demand for these watches far out strips supply. The ADs are in a tough spot. Who wouldn’t want to sell more? They can’t get stock.

In this environment, a deposit with a good company works.
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 04:45 PM   #72
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
So OP you paid XX amount, what about pole position when the next, I must have it NOW!, calls?

He may offer XXX amount.
Old 15 February 2019, 04:52 PM   #73
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
So OP you paid XX amount, what about pole position when the next, I must have it NOW!, calls?

He may offer XXX amount.
OP should give AD a blank cheque to get real pole position!
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 05:16 PM   #74
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know this is going to make a few heads pop, but I just put down a deposit with my preferred AD for the first slot on a 2019 release. In the event that 2019 is a non-E inspiring release cycle I will just roll that to another piece I already have on order. I asked, they asked, I agreed, they agreed, all good. And, yes I believe they will keep me in the top slot. These guys take good care of me in that regard. I know its odd to pre-pay for such, but he said, and I believe them that they are already getting a lot of calls to be first. Money down wins.

E-
But what do you hope will be released then? Coke?
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 05:26 PM   #75
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
Well done! Though i have that priority for any new piece without making any kind of deposit.
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 05:35 PM   #76
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
But what do you hope will be released then? Coke?
I think he will be happy as long as the new piece appreciates in value after releasing. that's the only thing OP is sure of.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 07:31 PM   #77
VegasMilgauss
"TRF" Member

I look at basel releases each year a bit like concept cars, It's nice to see what may well be available in a few years.
VegasMilgauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 08:12 PM   #78
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstan9 View Post
If you trust the AD, totally reasonable.
that's where i have the issue. A good AD would not accept a deposit for a imaginary watch that has not been announced. A good AD IMO would still put you at the top of this imaginary speculative list if you have a good relationship though but not charge you a deposit for it. Day after announcement, totally reasonable to call you and confirm interest and then collect money

If the money is that important i question the actual position on the list if someone comes in and pays more, or buys a lot of watches. Money is also important in a good AD relationship too, but its not the only factor. This deposit makes me think its only about money.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 15 February 2019, 08:38 PM   #79
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

sounds logical to me. good luck with your mystery watch.
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 08:57 PM   #80
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

Very Enterprising, Good Luck.
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 09:14 PM   #81
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
This doesn’t sit right with me. But...whatever works for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 09:15 PM   #82
Brew
"TRF" Member

How many poles are for sale?
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 09:35 PM   #83
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
that's where i have the issue. A good AD would not accept a deposit for a imaginary watch that has not been announced. A good AD IMO would still put you at the top of this imaginary speculative list if you have a good relationship though but not charge you a deposit for it. Day after announcement, totally reasonable to call you and confirm interest and then collect money

If the money is that important i question the actual position on the list if someone comes in and pays more, or buys a lot of watches. Money is also important in a good AD relationship too, but its not the only factor. This deposit makes me think its only about money.
Exactly right
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 10:19 PM   #84
Gert
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub, TT SubC LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_I View Post

Why is that crazy? Paying 20K for a Steel Pepsi with a purple bezel - that's crazy.

Gert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 10:44 PM   #85
TruthBalance
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Correct, I have an order in their system for a non referenced model. We picked an "average" and the deposit was 50% - $4500.

Last year I was so sure we were going to see a SS Coke and I wouldn't shut up to them about it. They thought it was comical to put an order in (internally) for a watch with no reference, but they did it anyway. They didn't ask for the deposit last year because they thought I was nuts. After the BLRO release they figured I was close enough on my guess that they let me have the first. This year they indicate they are getting a fair bit more traction for potential new releases. I didn't mind paying the deposit.
Hope it works out for you. In regards to deposit %. Had a discussion with a local AD this week inquiring if they could get a GMT LN. Their response was that they could get me one in 1-3 months if I put a 100% deposit down. Thought that was a bit excessive.
TruthBalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 10:47 PM   #86
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wristwatcherboy View Post
So you’ve pre paid for an unreleased watch of no specific model or reference that may or may not be released at an as yet undisclosed price?

Congrats.

Bragging rights have a price .........
Old 15 February 2019, 11:01 PM   #87
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
We've heard about people putting their name down for imaginary models before Basel in previous years but think this is the first time someone has put a deposit down, still if your AD is trusted to put it where you want and be flexible then I guess it's OK, albeit unorthodox but got to pay to (maybe one day) play in this market.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 11:04 PM   #88
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
What a tough crowd.
If a new release is a hit, OP will have the last laugh as he reads of the countless people paying double of MSRP.
Old 15 February 2019, 11:14 PM   #89
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
What a tough crowd.
If a new release is a hit, OP will have the last laugh as he reads of the countless people paying double of MSRP.
all of that assumes its a first come first served list which time and time again we see it rarely is. How much you spend matters far more than who asked first.
Old 15 February 2019, 11:18 PM   #90
THC

Watch: 16610M
ADs are closing daily so I hope your deposit is safe. That would be my only worry.
Showing up one day and it is an entirely different store
THC is offline   Reply With Quote