The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 June 2016, 05:33 PM   #1
520lux
"TRF" Member

New appreciation brushed CL vs PCL

Not sure if this is the right place but, if not could this thread please be moved.

So after acquiring a TTDJII and comparing to my explorer II (216570) I have a new appreciation for brushed center links.

When you are someone like me who is more than a little OCD PCL's can be a bit nerve-racking. I have come to the conclusion that I really need to focus on enjoying the watch regardless of scratches and trying to avoid them.

Where as brushed center links is so much easier to wear and scratches,... although are there,... blend in and are not as noticeable.

I took a vacation down to San Diego and took the kids to the Sea World. I wore my TTDJII and about half the day I spent baby-ing my watch and being extra careful not to bump it or scratch it. At one point I thought F$%# IT, I am here to enjoy time with my kids and enjoyed the rest of the day with them. After all its just a watch and can be repaired when needed.

With that said I still will do my best to take good care of it while not stressing about the little things and I have realized that I have a new appreciation of brushed CL and the simplicity of them.

For someone like me owning two ROLEX watches is a must. One with Brushed CL for more casual wear and one with PCL for those dressed up days.

I sold my 216570 to fund the 116333 and I have no regrets and absolutely love it however I thought owning one ROLEX was I wanted and now I know I will be buying the 216570 again in the near future.
<a href=https://flic.kr/p/HFRqgL target=_blank><a href=https://c3.staticflickr.com/8/7597/27361612970_e4487f9949.jpg target=_blank>https://c3.staticflickr.com/8/7597/2...e4487f9949.jpg</a></a><a href=https://flic.kr/p/HFRqgL target=_blank>sig</a> by <a href=https://www.flickr.com/photos/vipgraphx/ target=_blank>VIPGraphX</a>, on Flickr
520lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2016, 06:28 PM   #2
fungo
"TRF" Member

Watch: all kinds
...or just replace the bracelet with straps. Keep the original bracelet in safe. That's what i do with all my watches. Straps will take abuse and when done, replacing them is easy.
fungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2016, 03:18 AM   #3
10after10
Banned

I cant stand polished centerlinks. Or rather, scratches.
I cant stand scratches.

Picked up a nice 116622 that ive been drooling over for years a few weeks back.
Just sold it as i couldnt stand seeing all the scratches....
10after10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2016, 04:00 AM   #4
Professorfingers
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC-D
Thank you for this post.
This really helps me in my decision for my first Rolex. My only watch is an Omega Seamaster 120m I bought new in 2000. Besides the 18c yellow gold inserts, the band is brushed ss. IT has been my daily since I bought it. It has scratches and flattened spots, but it still looks really good.
I wanted a Rolex when I bought this, but couldn't afford it.
TW
Professorfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2016, 04:07 AM   #5
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
I like both looks but most of my watches are PCLs and enjoy the shine.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2016, 04:50 AM   #6
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

I like both, meaning I'm not polishing my Rolex because it has brushed center links, or vice versa. No one loves to scratch their watch but I got indoctrinated early when my friend scratched my first watch, a date Sub, before I ever wore it, by using a push pin to adjust the clasp. It slipped and boom!

Actually, my indoctrination came much earlier when I was a kid. My uncle had this beautiful gold DD that I kept staring at. It was stunning. He asked my if I'd like to try it on. When he put it on my wrist and I examined it closely all of a sudden it seemed beat up, scratches here and there. But when I gave it back to him and he put it on, like magic it looked gorgeous and pristine again.

That's when I realized they are only really noticeable when examined closely and on static display. But when sitting on the wrist of another living person scratches are pretty much invisible.
Old 30 July 2016, 02:04 PM   #7
Scapegoat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pro
I've grown to realise that certain watches can have PCLs and some just can't take it. I've also learned not to care about "scratches" on the links as it develops character that way.
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote