The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 13 July 2020, 12:03 PM   #1
journemaster
"TRF" Member

3800 - thoughts?

Hey guys, have been looking for a 3800 for the longest of time, but they either got sold too quickly before I could react (a collected man) or listed by seemingly dodgy dealers on chrono24...

Then I came across this yesterday: https://catalog.antiquorum.swiss/en/...patek+philippe. Seems to check all the boxes, but I'm a complete noob when it comes to buying/bidding for vintage Pateks, so just wondering if u guys can shed some wisdom on anything to look out for.. and all things considered (price aside), whether this is a worthwhile example to bid for.

Much appreciated guys!
journemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 12:13 PM   #2
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by journemaster View Post
Hey guys, have been looking for a 3800 for the longest of time, but they either got sold too quickly before I could react (a collected man) or listed by seemingly dodgy dealers on chrono24...

Then I came across this yesterday: https://catalog.antiquorum.swiss/en/...patek+philippe. Seems to check all the boxes, but I'm a complete noob when it comes to buying/bidding for vintage Pateks, so just wondering if u guys can shed some wisdom on anything to look out for.. and all things considered (price aside), whether this is a worthwhile example to bid for.

Much appreciated guys!
We always say buy the seller. You can do this by using google and reading the reviews of this auction house.
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 12:18 PM   #3
Maximili
"TRF" Member

I have seen that watch in person at Antiquorum’s office, it’s in a spectacular condition that I would recommend it to any collectors. Its patina is so attractive that even my heart skipped a beat and my own 3800 sitting in my drawer would consider that as cheating.

Good luck bidding for it.

Max
Maximili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 12:39 PM   #4
ts3
"TRF" Member

The bezel and bracelet appear to have been polished but I have seen much worse. Always hard to judge from pictures. The hands appear to have been replaced as the patina is very different from the markers but truly original hands are quite rare. This early example has the older 335 movement whereas later 3800 came with the 330 movement that they kept on for the 5800. I forgot the exact difference and/or issues of the 335 but I do remember that the 330 is to be preferred. I would try to do some diligence in that area.

I would definitely try to see the watch in person before bidding. You may have a very different view as to what excellent condition means than the people setting the standards for condition reports at a specific auction house.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 12:50 PM   #5
journemaster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
The bezel and bracelet appear to have been polished but I have seen much worse. Always hard to judge from pictures. The hands appear to have been replaced as the patina is very different from the markers but truly original hands are quite rare. This early example has the older 335 movement whereas later 3800 came with the 330 movement that they kept on for the 5800. I forgot the exact difference and/or issues of the 335 but I do remember that the 330 is to be preferred. I would try to do some diligence in that area.
Thanks for the detailed analysis! Let me look into the difference between the movements
Old 13 July 2020, 12:58 PM   #6
Marcbee
"TRF" Member

Looks nice. The movement indeed is a cal. 335 but I believe it won't be a deal breaker. The condition looks well preserved. Bidding from Antiquorum, a trustworthy source is always safer than buying off from some dodgy sellers on chrono24, that's true.

Good condition 3800s gets taken off the market in a blink of an eye, you should check it out.
Marcbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 06:25 PM   #7
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post

I would definitely try to see the watch in person before bidding. You may have a very different view as to what excellent condition means than the people setting the standards for condition reports at a specific auction house.
the case might problematic , if you check under magnification you can see those fine black dots in the steel (might be rust).Nautilus is prone to rust specially under and over the the beze- seal-case sandwich,then you need a complete case replacement if you want to have the watch to be waterproof.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 07:57 PM   #8
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

https://www.acollectedman.com/collec...-1a-steel-1997

Hurry! Full set, Cal 335, etc.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 12:10 PM   #9
journemaster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post
Nice! spoilt for choices now...

but there's something about the tone-on-tone date wheel that I'm gravitated to... and i have not seen many examples of that

let me sleep on this! thanks for all the constructive responses