The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 December 2021, 11:06 PM   #1
batmanhulk
"TRF" Member

Rolex Addiction - Does anyone concur

I can't understand why I have a role-play of how I am going to approach my AD / When / How I am going to dress

I find myself on here / Redditt - see the incoming posts and it makes me more ambitious in obtaining more Rolexes
I have 2 maximum watches on my Wishlist (No closer to getting them) but at the same time have obtained 2 I wished for yet find the more I look at the emptier I feel.

Then there's Chrono - I can't keep away from that
I must think of Rolex at least 2-3 hours a day - I have a young family too - no the time with them isnt compromised but I really do want to know if anyone else obsesses with this brand also

Why is there such a Addiction with this brand
batmanhulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 11:16 PM   #2
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
No

Rolex makes some nice watches, but the catalogue isn't anything like as exciting as it used to be...

There are plenty of other nice brands which I spend longer looking at.
Old 21 December 2021, 11:18 PM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmanhulk View Post
Rolex Addiction - Does anyone concur
No
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 11:22 PM   #4
dnd2984
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I can't understand why I have a role-play of how I am going to approach my AD / When / How I am going to dress

I find myself on here / Redditt - see the incoming posts and it makes me more ambitious in obtaining more Rolexes
I have 2 maximum watches on my Wishlist (No closer to getting them) but at the same time have obtained 2 I wished for yet find the more I look at the emptier I feel.

I must think of Rolex at least 2-3 hours a day - I have a young family too - no the time with them isnt compromised but I really do want to know if anyone else obsesses with this brand also

When I am not at the office I dress like a bum... Was dressed like a bum when I got my first Rolex and bum when I got 10th Rolex.

Then again I guess I was dressing like a bum before it came into style....
dnd2984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 11:29 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

I have no addiction to any brand except for the history of the RWC which I have took the time to study over the past 50 odd years. As today many of todays younger age whose sole info cupboard is in so called social media, Redditt, Chrono, Youtube etc. And many now mostly believe everything that these places dictates as so called social media and many others have taken over there lives, and use of there own brain power. And all ADs are just retail stores that sell watches nothing more, and should be treated exactly the same as the man or woman at the supermarket checkout.

All information supplied from my own 79 year old brain power, without the aid of loupes, todays silly nicknames, phone apps, alignment points, protective film, AD relationship building stuff, investment £$€ stuff, special cleaning cloths, and the rest of todays Rolex watch toys.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 11:37 PM   #6
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Only when the kids are also addicted and it becomes a family affair. Lol.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 11:44 PM   #7
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
I love the brand .I love the idea,the history,the qualty and the designs .
I get great enjoyment out of Rolex and they serve me very well .

I dont concur with "addiction" as currently defined .
Its a worthless addiction ,that means nothing .
Actually ,I despise it .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 11:46 PM   #8
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Always want what you can’t have.
Old 21 December 2021, 11:49 PM   #9
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
at the same time have obtained 2 I wished for yet find the more I look at the emptier I feel.
Two Rolex or two other brands?
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 11:59 PM   #10
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
Other watch brands at this price point can match or better Rolex.

The addiction can be more for the quality of the craftsmanship of the watch or the power of the status of the brand?
RoRoRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 12:07 AM   #11
Flintstone
"TRF" Member

Get. A. Life. It’s just a watch.
Flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 12:22 AM   #12
batmanhulk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintstone View Post
Get. A. Life. It’s just a watch.
So true
batmanhulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 12:24 AM   #13
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnd2984 View Post
When I am not at the office I dress like a bum... Was dressed like a bum when I got my first Rolex and bum when I got 10th Rolex.

Then again I guess I was dressing like a bum before it came into style....
So funny, you said Bum. My wife yelled at me for saying bum one day. Thanks for posting
Old 22 December 2021, 12:38 AM   #14
dnd2984
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
So funny, you said Bum. My wife yelled at me for saying bum one day. Thanks for posting
I get yelled at all the time
dnd2984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 12:43 AM   #15
blargle
Banned

no chance am I walking into an AD to grovel and beg to be put on imaginary list, sold off most of my collection this year, keeping only a few pieces that I like or for personal reasons

i find myself getting addicted to another brand now, that is more out of reach of the 'masses'
blargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 12:44 AM   #16
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
It’s an addicted hobby, that’s clear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 01:13 AM   #17
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:

I don’t concur that “Rolex” be an addiction. On a psychological standpoint it isn’t unusual that humans employ escapism hobbies as a mental distraction from the ever increasingly chaotic world we live in. Self therapy via “distraction” is a common human trait. We’ve been using travel, consumerism and trinkets as both escapism and a reward mechanism since the beginning of time. We further use this same reward mechanism to compensate others, through gifts, in recognition of their psychological support, in one way or another.

There’s a strong inbuilt human desire to justify one’s existence via said rewards, collecting, hoarding or whatever term you use. Without said rewards humans have a tough time justifying why so much of our lives is dedicated to largely unfulfilling pursuits (work, etc).

To single out “Rolex” as an addiction provocateur is thus unhelpful. The members of this forum, to a large extent, fulfill their escapism vide through watches. However, we all know that there are 1000s of equally passionate escapists for stamps, baseball cards, handbags, cars, etc., etc…

One must study the “reward trait” and “escapism” to properly define the phenomenon, not Rolex.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 01:16 AM   #18
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by blargle View Post
no chance am I walking into an AD to grovel and beg to be put on imaginary list, sold off most of my collection this year, keeping only a few pieces that I like or for personal reasons

i find myself getting addicted to another brand now, that is more out of reach of the 'masses'

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 01:24 AM   #19
hellofromthebay
"TRF" Member

I’m hear you. It’s not healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hellofromthebay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 01:24 AM   #20
Carondelet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, 116900
Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
I don’t concur that “Rolex” be an addiction. On a psychological standpoint it isn’t unusual that humans employ escapism hobbies as a mental distraction from the ever increasingly chaotic world we live in. Self therapy via “distraction” is a common human trait. We’ve been using travel, consumerism and trinkets as both escapism and a reward mechanism since the beginning of time. We further use this same reward mechanism to compensate others, through gifts, in recognition of their psychological support, in one way or another.

There’s a strong inbuilt human desire to justify one’s existence via said rewards, collecting, hoarding or whatever term you use. Without said rewards humans have a tough time justifying why so much of our lives is dedicated to largely unfulfilling pursuits (work, etc).

To single out “Rolex” as an addiction provocateur is thus unhelpful. The members of this forum, to a large extent, fulfill their escapism vide through watches. However, we all know that there are 1000s of equally passionate escapists for stamps, baseball cards, handbags, cars, etc., etc…

One must study the “reward trait” and “escapism” to properly define the phenomenon, not Rolex.
That was deep...well said
Old 22 December 2021, 01:41 AM   #21
teager
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM233,IwcBP,D-blu
I've just loved watches ever since i was a little kid, flipping through the pages of my mums Grattan/Kays mail order catalogs.

I've fallen in love/become fixated over various brands, Seiko then Breitling, then Omega, then Panerai then IWC...

The fixation period always ends with a purchase!

Rolex is my current 'addiction' - this led to the 126660 D-blu a month or so ago, I haven't moved on yet though - I want another reference
teager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 01:47 AM   #22
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
I define Rolex in my world as being a hobby. I enjoy acquiring them, wearing them and looking at them. I think Rolex's history and progression as a brand is fascinating. I love the overall ownership experience, but nowhere close to an addiction.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 01:47 AM   #23
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Not addictive, perhaps you have become obsessed with the brand largely due to massive SM hype. Rolex is everywhere and people's worth and esteem has gotten wrapped up in owning and more specifically wearing a "hot" model. This is a false value system propagated by hype.

Try looking into other brands and see if they do anything for you. Personally I've cooled off on the brand and am now interested in other watchmakers, kinda of worn out with all the investment and how to approach my AD threads.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 02:07 AM   #24
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
Quote:

Very well put. One of the better posts i've read on here lately
Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 02:13 AM   #25
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I guess I’ve got a few issues based on my post count
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 02:24 AM   #26
Arthur Daley
"TRF" Member

Like most forum dwellers and lurkers I enjoy reading about watches. While I'm not sure the hobby constitutes an addiction, it is a bit of an obsession. That said, in my case, it transcends Rolex to virtually all watches.
Arthur Daley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 02:38 AM   #27
azs.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Panerai
I can understand the need to have the reference that one wants. But in the end, they are just watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
azs.77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 02:48 AM   #28
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
I have been addicted to substances before and trust me, your interest in Rolex is not an addiction. When you spend money you don’t have and lose your job and your family and your home in pursuit of Rolex then you are addicted. By your own description if you are addicted to anything it’s social media.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 02:48 AM   #29
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:

SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 02:55 AM   #30
28mm
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Great post but I'll edit it for the OP.

OP, he said he agrees!