The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 25 January 2020, 07:40 AM   #1
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Calling the Experts...

How does AP compare to Patek in terms of quality.

I’ve got both and to my untrained eye, I don’t see a difference in terms of case finishing, movement quality, dial etc.

I should point out that I’m comparing Nautilus and Royal Oak rather than their top end models, so maybe that’s why I don’t see a big difference.

But the pricing difference is significant. Royal Oak Perpetual vs Nautilus Perpetual for instance, the Patek is best part of £40k more expensive.

So...keep to understand how the two really compare, and why is Patek considered to be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 07:59 AM   #2
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

I am no expert but I agree at least those 2 models are close and not sure that premium for pp makes sense. Might get a different answer in pp forum though
NYG1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 08:12 AM   #3
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I too have one AP and one PP. They both look equally great to me, even with a magnifying lens. I'm not sure there's too much of a difference overall other than the name. I'd think that the case/bracelet finishing takes more time with AP, but maybe the movement gets more love from Patek.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 08:29 AM   #4
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Outside finishing they are both on par.

Movement finishing is where Patek kills AP here especially the older 15400 movement.

Check this vs video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXOCShjo7Sw
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 08:38 AM   #5
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
Outside finishing they are both on par.

Movement finishing is where Patek kills AP here especially the older 15400 movement.

Check this vs video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXOCShjo7Sw
IMHO I think a comparison between the Nautilus and AP 15202 would be more appropriate:

https://www.fratellowatches.com/pate...uet-royal-oak/

Both are killer watches.
dbfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 08:50 AM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I agree there is not much of a difference in quality, on the PC I think prices reflect their positions in the market and their brand strength rather than any actual horological difference, but then the CE PC is market priced much closer to the Nautilus thus indicating that they have their brand strength there.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 08:53 AM   #7
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Here is a comparison I did a while back, you may find some relevant points to you inquiry?
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=643387

Short answer is I prefer the Patek.
Old 25 January 2020, 09:34 AM   #8
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I am a fan of both the Royal Oak and Nautilus. I have/owned AP 15202ST, AP 15305ST, AP ROC 39mm, AP 15300, PP5711, PP5712 and PP5980R. IMO, both brands have excellent case, bracelet and movement finishing. I think they are equal. Overall, I have a slight preference for the Royal Oak design.

Patek costs more because Patek is considered at the top of the food chain.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 09:53 AM   #9
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
My experience is limited to my 15500 and a nautilus chrono that I tried at an AD. The Royal Oak killed that particular Nautilus for me.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 10:01 AM   #10
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
On the low end AP does better dials, case and bracelet finishing, bracelet construction.

The only place Patek tops them in my opinion which is huge, is design.

Edit: of course brand as well. Patek owns perceived brand value after Rolex.
Old 25 January 2020, 10:11 AM   #11
Gravity
"TRF" Member

I think Patek is considered the the "Rolls Royce" of watches by many and having that title is what justifies their pricing and a good amount of the demand as well. Some people just like to have what the society at large considers "the best", regardless of aesthetics. Definitely a lot of personal preference involved and some just like the styling of one over the other. I personally have always loved the design of AP exponentially more than Patek, so I consider it a huge bonus I can acquire the models I love most for a significant discount compared to equivalent Patek models. I've passed on several high demand Pateks at retail simply because they just don't sing to me. I have never heard from fans of either brand strong claims of quality or finishing over the other at all and really seems to be a personal preference.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 12:13 PM   #12
PPFANBOY
"TRF" Member

I own watches from both brands.
AP better for most finishings, the RO bracelet in particular is much better than the Nautilus bracelet which for all intents and purposes feels flimsy.

Much of a muchness but AP are on top right now with their quality and releases in different materials. PP have the classic charm if that's what you're after.