The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 25 January 2020, 07:24 PM   #1
watchyouseek
"TRF" Member

1803 Plexi Condition OPINIONS needed

Hello all, I recently received my late grandfather’s 1803 and sent it to my local watch maker to have a leather strap with 18k buckle installed.

During the installation, the diamond bezel was swapped out for the original fluted 18k bezel and the original plexi cracked during removal.

Few weeks later, my local guy says the watch is ready and that he has thrown in a crystal for free.

On inspection under the light I do note multiple scratches on the plexi and I understand that this is probably some spare plexi he had Lying around hence the no charge.

I have attempted to use poly watch to remove the scratches but to no avail.

I am suspecting the scratches maybe on the underside of the plexi.

Would you guys 1.) leave it alone, to match the overall “vintage” look of the whole watch or 2.) Contact my watchmaker and request for a brand new original Rolex plexi?

Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watchyouseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 11:21 PM   #2
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchyouseek View Post
1.) leave it alone, to match the overall “vintage” look of the whole watch
It's a plexi. It will only get scratched again even if you get a brand new one. Just enjoy it as it is, as grandpa would have wanted. He was clearly a man of great taste. The watchmaker was also right to replace the diamond bezel with the correct fluted version. He knows what he's doing.

That minute track around the outside is awesome, BTW. Wear it well.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 11:29 PM   #3
watchyouseek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
It's a plexi. It will only get scratched again even if you get a brand new crystal. Just enjoy it as it is, as grandpa would have wanted. He was clearly a man of great taste. The watchmaker was also right to replace the diamond bezel with the correct fluted version. He knows what he's doing.

That minute track around the outside is awesome, BTW. Wear it well.

Thank you. The original plexi that grandpa had was in superb condition, unfortunately broke during removal.

Original bezel was supplied by me as well. Only thing bugging me is that the scratches on the inside of the plexi cannot be polished out unless the whole bezel plexi thing is removed. Would have liked it if I could add my own battle scars instead of popping on a used plexi.

Out of curiosity , are original Rolex 1803 plexi glass hard to obtain these days? If so , that could possibly be why my watchmaker gave me a used replacement plexi . Thank you sir.

Old 25 January 2020, 11:45 PM   #4
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Out of curiosity , are original Rolex 1803 plexi glass hard to obtain these days?
They're readily available and not expensive. Have a word with your watchmaker about your concerns if it's going to impair your enjoyment of the watch. He should be able to source a new one without too much trouble. It deserves to be worn well.
Old 26 January 2020, 12:04 AM   #5
watchyouseek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They're readily available and not expensive. Have a word with your watchmaker about your concerns if it's going to impair your enjoyment of the watch. He should be able to source a new one without too much trouble. It deserves to be worn well.

Thank you for your advice. I will do just that. Is the swap for a new plexi an easy one ?

Old 26 January 2020, 12:18 AM   #6
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Quote:
+1

I changed the plexi on several vintage pieces. It was around 50usd, including the work. Always available at my ADs service center.
Change it! Scratches on the glass make no sense “to keep”.
Old 26 January 2020, 04:29 AM   #7
watchyouseek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
+1

I changed the plexi on several vintage pieces. It was around 50usd, including the work. Always available at my ADs service center.
Change it! Scratches on the glass make no sense “to keep”.

Fair enough. I am based in Singapore. Can I get the plexi from any Rolex AD or do I have to send it to RSC?

Old 26 January 2020, 08:33 AM   #8
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fair enough. I am based in Singapore. Can I get the plexi from any Rolex AD or do I have to send it to RSC?
An AD should be able to order one and fit it for you, but milage varies among ADs... I wouldn't send it to the RSC. They'll want to change all sorts of parts, which will ruin its value.