The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 March 2019, 04:53 PM   #1
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Watch: 214270
Don’t be dissuaded from picking up a Modern Classic because of an Illusion(Tudor)

I own a few Subs.

The Black Bay was a scary proposition. Too tall I was told. Eventually I got my hands on this one. And I measured and compared to one of my subs and the difference was negligible. The “tall” factor is a pure illusion on the Rose black bays. Now having said that the in house movement is a noticeable difference in height as to how it sits on the wrist. But please don’t miss out on this modern classic because of others experiences that missed out on the comparison to a Sub.

Wembleyisgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 05:10 PM   #2
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

I'm with you, I have own rolexes and Tudors, subs and black bay black eta and blue eta. I love them equally.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
startrolexendrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 05:17 PM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

its a big chunk of a watch. I don t own a sub, but i feel like it dwarfs my GMT's. I like it that way, and sometimes i want to wear a chunkier watch. Its kind of why i got it.

The BB's are all absolutely outstanding watches.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 05:32 PM   #4
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
OP what are the dimensions versus a subC? certainly my impression visually was that BB was a bit taller. also do we include the case back protrusion in that calc?
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 05:49 PM   #5
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_gray View Post
OP what are the dimensions versus a subC? certainly my impression visually was that BB was a bit taller. also do we include the case back protrusion in that calc?
Measuring with calipers from caseback to crystal a Subc is 12.5mm and the Tudor Black Bay ETA is 12.6 almost 12.7mm. Almost zero perceptible difference.
Old 4 March 2019, 06:07 PM   #6
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

The title was a little too cryptic even for me nonetheless the Heritage Tudor Black Bay is a very well made watch and the most noticeable difference between it and the Submariner becomes apparent when you start handling and eventually wear it. The weight of the 79230 is some 15% heavier than the 114060.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 06:09 PM   #7
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Tudor is an excellent watch too.
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 12:57 AM   #8
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
It sits very well and comfortably on my wrist, as does the Pelagos. And if you know me, I am super picky about how watches fit and feel on the wrist.

Two great divers, IMO.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 01:12 AM   #9
pandrew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
Tudors are certainly bigger on the wrist but not less comfortable imo.
pandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 01:21 AM   #10
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wembleyisgreen View Post
I own a few Subs.

The Black Bay was a scary proposition. Too tall I was told. Eventually I got my hands on this one. And I measured and compared to one of my subs and the difference was negligible. The “tall” factor is a pure illusion on the Rose black bays. Now having said that the in house movement is a noticeable difference in height as to how it sits on the wrist. But please don’t miss out on this modern classic because of others experiences that missed out on the comparison to a Sub.
I have to disagree with you there. I own both an ETA Black Bay and an in-house Black Bay (GMT) and although the in-house is approximately 2mm thicker than the ETA, the entirety of that height difference is in the protruding case back. When worn on the wrist, that 2mm sinks nicely into the skin just like on Rolex watches. So in terms of how it wears, it is exactly the same in appearance to the ETA models. At least this has been my experience.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 03:11 AM   #11
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutats View Post
The title was a little too cryptic even for me nonetheless the Heritage Tudor Black Bay is a very well made watch and the most noticeable difference between it and the Submariner becomes apparent when you start handling and eventually wear it. The weight of the 79230 is some 15% heavier than the 114060.
It was late :)
Old 5 March 2019, 03:12 AM   #12
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandrew View Post
Tudors are certainly bigger on the wrist but not less comfortable imo.
Definitely not less comfortable but my point is that the rose dial Tudors are nearly identical in case height to a Sub.
Old 5 March 2019, 03:16 AM   #13
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
I have to disagree with you there. I own both an ETA Black Bay and an in-house Black Bay (GMT) and although the in-house is approximately 2mm thicker than the ETA, the entirety of that height difference is in the protruding case back. When worn on the wrist, that 2mm sinks nicely into the skin just like on Rolex watches. So in terms of how it wears, it is exactly the same in appearance to the ETA models. At least this has been my experience.
Having owned several in house myself as well as ETA. They both are comfortable and not prohibitively too tall. The in house is about 2mm taller and does wear that way as it’s almost a bubble back type feel. That said my 7 inch wrist can work with in house Tudors no problem. My main point was to balance the discussion that Tudor in general is too tall and if you look at the specs of a Sub vs a Rose Dial Black Bay, they are nearly identical in thickness.
Old 5 March 2019, 03:16 AM   #14
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
It sits very well and comfortably on my wrist, as does the Pelagos. And if you know me, I am super picky about how watches fit and feel on the wrist.

Two great divers, IMO.
Agreed
Old 5 March 2019, 03:44 AM   #15
tie219
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 GMT, BBR
I own both a black bay ETA and 5 digit Rolex. While I love both watches, the black bay is in fact, much chunkier on the wrist than the Rolex. I think the biggest difference is the amount of metal on the side of the case. Even though the height seems to be similar, the black bay doesn't have a protruding caseback like a Rolex.
tie219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 03:59 AM   #16
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Well done, Mike!

Tudor dimensions work well for me and I don't mind a tall watch.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 04:08 AM   #17
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie219 View Post
I own both a black bay ETA and 5 digit Rolex. While I love both watches, the black bay is in fact, much chunkier on the wrist than the Rolex. I think the biggest difference is the amount of metal on the side of the case. Even though the height seems to be similar, the black bay doesn't have a protruding caseback like a Rolex.
That’s the illusion I’m referencing. It appears chunkier but ultimately isn’t.
Old 5 March 2019, 04:08 AM   #18
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Well done, Mike!

Tudor dimensions work well for me and I don't mind a tall watch.
dP
Old 5 March 2019, 04:58 AM   #19
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
I wear my BBN Rose on a Rubber B. It's a fun watch, and the height is no bother for me.
Old 5 March 2019, 05:01 AM   #20
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
I wear my BBN Rose on a Rubber B. It's a fun watch, and the height is no bother for me.
That’s a good additional point. Straps improve the way the black bays sit on the wrist. Yet another reason to pursue one.
Old 5 March 2019, 05:06 AM   #21
Vamp
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn!
I just got rid of my BB dark.. I wanted to love it, I really did, but it was just too brickish on the wrist unfortunately. Rolex, Rolex, Rolex is all I can say lol
Vamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 05:10 AM   #22
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamp View Post
I just got rid of my BB dark.. I wanted to love it, I really did, but it was just too brickish on the wrist unfortunately. Rolex, Rolex, Rolex is all I can say lol
That watch is 2mm thicker so it’s a bit of a different discussion. I’m Rolex Rolex Rolex as well but I definitely think a Tudor or two is fun and I do think Rose dials will climb in value continually. Which gives you the security of Rolex imo.
Old 5 March 2019, 05:14 AM   #23
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I saw a red BB in the wild today, good looking watch. The guy was wearing an Omega baseball cap for reasons unknown.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 05:31 AM   #24
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
I saw a red BB in the wild today, good looking watch. The guy was wearing an Omega baseball cap for reasons unknown.

i find swag so tacky. The heavily branded stuff. Ive got a breitling hat somewhere still i think... want it?
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 05:33 AM   #25
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post

i find swag so tacky. The heavily branded stuff. Ive got a breitling hat somewhere still i think... want it?
I agree with you.
Old 5 March 2019, 05:48 AM   #26
Vamp
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post

Breitling hats are way to gaudy! But I was given a very cool Rolex Hat at the AD after a purchase, and admit I've worn it on two occasions. It has Rolex with the crown written on both sides of the hat very subtle . Im sure you've seen them.
Vamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 08:02 AM   #27
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I actually like the way my ETA black bays wear compared to a maxi-case sub. Just as comfortable and more so in some cases with the leather strap with the clasp. Great watches and keepers.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 08:09 AM   #28
sealord6524
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 6000G
100% agree; I used to own a burgundy Black Bay ETA and sold it because I already had a sub and a PAM....I regret it to this day. There's no doubt it's a discernable nudge down from the sub, but I never viewed the Black Bay as a "poor man's" sub or an either/or proposition. It's its own joy....I thought it was the most fun watch I ever had, changing it from bracelet, to strap, to NATOs, and you could wear it with (slightly) l less anxiety about knocking it around price wise. But hey, in my world, a $3000 watch is just as worthy of extreme love as a $9000 watch.
sealord6524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 08:29 AM   #29
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
I actually like the way my ETA black bays wear compared to a maxi-case sub. Just as comfortable and more so in some cases with the leather strap with the clasp. Great watches and keepers.
100% agree. The lugs are much more forgiving vs the maxi case. I think the rose dial cult will become a thing sooner rather than later.
Old 5 March 2019, 08:31 AM   #30
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealord6524 View Post
100% agree; I used to own a burgundy Black Bay ETA and sold it because I already had a sub and a PAM....I regret it to this day. There's no doubt it's a discernable nudge down from the sub, but I never viewed the Black Bay as a "poor man's" sub or an either/or proposition. It's its own joy....I thought it was the most fun watch I ever had, changing it from bracelet, to strap, to NATOs, and you could wear it with (slightly) l less anxiety about knocking it around price wise. But hey, in my world, a $3000 watch is just as worthy of extreme love as a $9000 watch.
That is the sentiment that drew most of us in. And keeps us coming back. I’ve sold a few myself and I’m now back to a trio of the ETA Burgundy/Blue/Black.

Tags
114060 , 79230 , blackbay , diver , rolex , submariner , tudor