The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 March 2021, 11:27 PM   #1
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

one watch collection running constantly

Hey guys, I currently am a 1 watch man..I have the new seamaster pro wave dial, and it has been on my wrist everyday for almost 2 years now...it has never stopped running since the day i bought it new and wound it up

what do you think of having a watch constantly run for years on end? So far the performance has been outstanding, i gain less than 2 seconds a day.

Ive done some searching on the internet and ive read all the analogies to car engines, etc..would you leave your car running constantly, but at the same time im sure there must be plenty of others with 1 watch collections and i feel weird not wearing it just to let it rest

i plan to service the movement as needed, and as i understand these new in house omeega movements are pretty robust, my sales associate told me i can easily wait 10 years before i have to be concerned...but i enjoy tracking my accuracy, so i suppose ill start to see a decline when things are getting ready for a service

thank you all and lets have a great week!
Rochester585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 12:16 AM   #2
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester585 View Post
Hey guys, I currently am a 1 watch man..I have the new seamaster pro wave dial, and it has been on my wrist everyday for almost 2 years now...it has never stopped running since the day i bought it new and wound it up

what do you think of having a watch constantly run for years on end? So far the performance has been outstanding, i gain less than 2 seconds a day.

Ive done some searching on the internet and ive read all the analogies to car engines, etc..would you leave your car running constantly, but at the same time im sure there must be plenty of others with 1 watch collections and i feel weird not wearing it just to let it rest

i plan to service the movement as needed, and as i understand these new in house omeega movements are pretty robust, my sales associate told me i can easily wait 10 years before i have to be concerned...but i enjoy tracking my accuracy, so i suppose ill start to see a decline when things are getting ready for a service

Not a problem at all. Regular servicing, per manufacture suggestions, and you’re good to go
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 01:25 AM   #3
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

The watch is made to be worn... back in the pre internet collecting days, I'm sure many men wore one watch their entire lives likely with no issue. I am sort of envious of the whole one watch thing.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 01:30 AM   #4
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
The watch is made to be worn... back in the pre internet collecting days, I'm sure many men wore one watch their entire lives likely with no issue. I am sort of envious of the whole one watch thing.
that is a very interesting point...the internet is great, theres so much information available, but sometimes my judgment can be clouded trying to consider and rationalize all of the information i consume

I am VERY jealous of all you guys that have collections...some day Im sure i will too as my budget permits. But at the same time, ive always enjoyed having one of something and just enjoying it and making it my precious lol

right now, if i could have only one, i think it would be a YG daydate. Ive never been fortunate enough to even try one on, but that president bracelet just looks like it would melt into my wrist
Old 30 March 2021, 01:38 AM   #5
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Not a problem at all. Regular servicing, per manufacture suggestions, and you’re good to go
thank you for the reassuring words my man! I love this watch, and having the bracelet and rubber strap gives me a little variety. its been money well spent thus far, would gladly hand over the cash a second time
Old 30 March 2021, 01:58 AM   #6
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
My dad has worn the same Omega his entire adult life. It's a gold pie-pan Constellation with Caliber 561. I doubt it has ever had a day of rest in its life, and with regular service it's still alive and well today.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 01:59 AM   #7
Cryten
"TRF" Member

The car engine analogy is in regards to watch winders. Some people keep all their watches running 24/7 even though they aren't wearing them.

By all means wear it and enjoy it, that's what it was made for.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 03:21 AM   #8
alllexandru
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You too

Ask the guys who wear 1 watch for the last 50 years or more
The now days movements are much improved compared with 50 years ago but we are the ones who afraid more than those 50 years ago.........
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 03:21 AM   #9
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
that is a very interesting point...the internet is great, theres so much information available, but sometimes my judgment can be clouded trying to consider and rationalize all of the information i consume

I am VERY jealous of all you guys that have collections...some day Im sure i will too as my budget permits. But at the same time, ive always enjoyed having one of something and just enjoying it and making it my precious lol

right now, if i could have only one, i think it would be a YG daydate. Ive never been fortunate enough to even try one on, but that president bracelet just looks like it would melt into my wrist
Quote:
thank you for the reassuring words my man! I love this watch, and having the bracelet and rubber strap gives me a little variety. its been money well spent thus far, would gladly hand over the cash a second time
You have a fantastic watch, it will serve you well as a one-watch companion, or a foundation for a future collection.

Some forewarning though, the longer you stay on TRF the more likely you are to increase your collection - peer pressure lol. I think we all were once one-watch men haha.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 08:02 AM   #10
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Until recently I was a one watch person. Wore a submariner daily for almost 10 years. Before that, wore a Tag heuer for over 10 years. I wouldn’t worry about wearing your watch on a daily basis.
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 03:25 PM   #11
Mikegp
"TRF" Member

It will probably explode

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 10:26 PM   #12
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegp View Post
It will probably explode

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
i kinda figured. just building pressure until all the cogs and gears seize and it detonates.
Old 30 March 2021, 10:56 PM   #13
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Keep wearing the piece and enjoying it as you have been. This is what it was designed for and we often forget the harsh conditions and tough standards these watches were made to ensure and actually do go through this type of testing in the development stage.

With a Co-Axial escapement as well, being a tangential system of sorts with reduced friction and less wear on the components you're fine. Any required components would be changed at service once that time comes.

As long as it's keeping good time I see no reason why you can't make the interval the salesperson stated. If you swim or dive with it a pressure test a few years down the road wouldn't hurt for piece of mind but truly nothing to fear with regards to the movement.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 05:28 AM   #14
Crunchie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I sent my Speedmaster for service when the main spring snapped, maybe twelve years of wearing one or two days a week. Didn’t cost a penny more than if I’d sent it in at three years old.

My Explorer, sixteen years old and worn four or five days a week, is just as accurate as when I first put it on.

The good thing with modern watches is that all the parts are readily available, so there really is very little to be lost by just wearing them til they stop.

As people have already said, getting a watch at 21 years old and wearing it until you were presented with another at 65 probably used to be much more common than having a wonder full of Rolexes and Omegas.
Crunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 11:06 PM   #15
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

thanks again for the all great feedback guys! I probably wouldve kept wearing the watch everyday anyway, but this gives me some peace of mind
Old 31 March 2021, 11:50 PM   #16
SN13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
...if i could have only one, i think it would be a YG daydate. Ive never been fortunate enough to even try one on, but that president bracelet just looks like it would melt into my wrist
It does melt into the wrist. 36mm 18038 is SUPER comfortable. No need for the bigger sizes.

I like the more vintage single-quickset 18038 from the 80's. All the form and almost all the function of the newer 18238's.

Can't get that Open 9 and 6 on the newer ones. ;)

If I had to thin down to 1, I think this would be the 1.....

--- 1986 DD 18038 --- 1992 YM 16628 --- 2015 116600 SD4K --- SBDX001 MM300 --- 2009 Omega Ploprof White --- 2010 Omega LE LMPO
SN13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2021, 05:29 AM   #17
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

thats a beauty!!!! i want one so bad. i just need 20 grand or so....anyone feeling generous?? :)
Old 1 April 2021, 06:14 AM   #18
SN13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
thats a beauty!!!! i want one so bad. i just need 20 grand or so....anyone feeling generous?? :)
20?

Try 12-14k for a 18038

14-16k for a 18238

The only difference is the 18038 DAY setting is via 24hr w/ quickset date.

18238 has quickset Day and Quickset Date.

--- 1986 DD 18038 --- 1992 YM 16628 --- 2015 116600 SD4K --- SBDX001 MM300 --- 2009 Omega Ploprof White --- 2010 Omega LE LMPO
SN13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2021, 01:54 PM   #19
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:

I have to scratch my head at this one (or at least at the underlying question). A watch is designed to be worn.

In 1984 my parents gave me a new Rolex Datejust to me as my HS graduation present. I wore it everyday for the next 24 years as my one and only watch. It was served twice in the entire time of ownership (once at 5 years and the other about year 15).

Please wear it and don’t worry about it. It’s doing what it was intended to do.

Here’s my old Datejust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2021, 08:14 PM   #20
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post
I have to scratch my head at this one (or at least at the underlying question). A watch is designed to be worn.

In 1984 my parents gave me a new Rolex Datejust to me as my HS graduation present. I wore it everyday for the next 24 years as my one and only watch. It was served twice in the entire time of ownership (once at 5 years and the other about year 15).

Please wear it and don’t worry about it. It’s doing what it was intended to do.

Here’s my old Datejust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is awesome!! So cool that you still have and wear that baby. my original question posed in the thread was colored by internet conjecture, lots of strong opinions the other way that watches need to rest, but when you stop and think about it, i suppose it is illogical and impractical for many people, myself included. My seaman has no choice lol thrust into duty day in and day out