The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 2 April 2021, 02:58 AM   #1
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
aqua terra

Back story:

So back in 2013-14ish I bought an Omega Aqua terra grey dial. My first "luxury" piece. I liked it enough but it was a "settle for" piece as I really wanted the blue dial and the AD didn't have any. At the time, I was a noob, knew nothing of the grey market, or other dealers. Needless to say, I ended up flipping it into a bluesy which was later sold due to divorce.

Present day question:

Fast forward to today, I know so much about the game now i'm sure my ex-wife vomits anytime she sees a nice watch lol. I really did enjoy that aqua terra. I found a blue dial master coaxial version of it, and I may pull the trigger. I've been out of the omega game for a while as i turned into a total rolex fan boy and then started exploring other brands, but it has come full circle back to omega. I had a speedy at one time, but found I am a date guy. Sorry for being long winded (TRF is way cheaper than a shrink who wouldn't understand watches anyways). I see back in 19 they updated the dial from vertical teak lines to horizontal lines and moved the date to the 6 position.

I was curious if anyone has any experience with either or both versions, thoughts them, like the change hate the change, etc. Yes I know it's whatever I like better. I'm fond of both. Just curious on some real world experience or thoughts/opinions on the two.
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 04:05 AM   #2
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I love the AT line and the new ones are stunning. I'm not a big proponent of symmetry, but the date at 6 just works. The horizontal teak reminds me a lot of the what Patek does, especially in blue. Plus, the added power reserve and anti-magnetism make the new ones a can't miss.

T&T had a good read on it: https://timeandtidewatches.com/edito...r-chronometer/

I love Rolex and Omega hand in hand, and appreciate both. But my Omega AT Worldtime is one of the best I've ever seen and wouldn't part with it for anything.
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 04:14 AM   #3
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

I can only say I have tried on the newest version (both sizes) and I was extremely impressed. If Rolex discontinues the Explorer that I have been waiting 7 months for, very much like they did with the OP39 (white) that I was waiting for, I may go with the AT 38mm in either black or silver. I haven't decided.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 05:28 AM   #4
LDesp
"TRF" Member

I own the exact watch you are looking at (unless you're looking at the 38 mm): the blue dial master co-axial in 41.5 mm (ref. 231.10.42.21.03.003).

In short, I love this watch. The dial looks great in person and the indices catch the light very very nicely. The date window does not match the dial colour exactly, but it's quite close (in fact, it's black). The bracelet looks great and is very comfortable to wear.

In terms of accuracy, the calibre 8500 performs great. Mine keeps time within about +0/+0.5 seconds per day, which vastly outperforms many much more expensive watches in my experience.

Interestingly, it's the only watch in my collection that I do not have second thoughts about or have small niggles with, although it's nowhere near the most expensive. Whenever I put it on, it looks and feels good. After 4 years of very extensive wear in all kinds of conditions, both the case and the bracelet still look great.

Having said all of that, I'm sure I would have the same positive comments about the newer version with the date window at 6 o'clock and the horizontal lines. I'm also convinced that the calibre 8900 in the new version will perform equally well, if not better.

I can't comment whether this is a better watch than the newer version, but I do like it.
LDesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 07:02 AM   #5
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Tried on a few of the latest generation and they are terrific. The horizontal dial pattern looks really nice and gives the dial depth. The indices look really sharp. Love that the moved the date window to six which gives it nice symmetry. The slightly smaller diameter was a good change. And the whole dial just looks right. Not too cluttered and gives it a good middle ground between dress and sport. I struggle to come up with any negatives to be honest.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 09:26 AM   #6
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Aqua Terra blue dial is a killer watch. Vertical vs horizontal? Just get whichever one you like better. Best wishes
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 09:30 AM   #7
puppet
"TRF" Member

I've been a big fan of the Aqua Terra for a while and picked up the latest version in Dec. I bought a lighter dial, but really only because that what gave me the variety in my collection that I was looking for. I already have a bunch of blue. But even then, the blue is pretty fantastic and was hard to pass up.

I agree with what's been said. The date change to 6-oclock is great for the symmetry of the dial and is just enough different from everything else I own with a "normal" date position that I like the variety. The whole face is super legible. I bought it on rubber and picked up a bracelet afterwards. It's funny, the watch feels like it wears bigger (diameter, not thickness) on the bracelet and smaller on the rubber! The thickness is well balanced and doesn't wear top-heavy at all. Fit and finish is fantastic, indices and hands are sharp, and the movement through the display back is nice to look at!

It's a lot of watch for the money. You can find it readily available in a display case and you may even be able to get a discount!!
puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 10:43 AM   #8
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppet View Post
I've been a big fan of the Aqua Terra for a while and picked up the latest version in Dec. I bought a lighter dial, but really only because that what gave me the variety in my collection that I was looking for. I already have a bunch of blue. But even then, the blue is pretty fantastic and was hard to pass up.

I agree with what's been said. The date change to 6-oclock is great for the symmetry of the dial and is just enough different from everything else I own with a "normal" date position that I like the variety. The whole face is super legible. I bought it on rubber and picked up a bracelet afterwards. It's funny, the watch feels like it wears bigger (diameter, not thickness) on the bracelet and smaller on the rubber! The thickness is well balanced and doesn't wear top-heavy at all. Fit and finish is fantastic, indices and hands are sharp, and the movement through the display back is nice to look at!

It's a lot of watch for the money. You can find it readily available in a display case and you may even be able to get a discount!!
I'm been liking the Aqua Terra 41 for awhile. I like the light blue dial with the dark blue leather band. Since I have a black dial AK 116900 on Everest rubber, DJ41 Blue smooth Oyster, I think the the Omega AT light blue dial with leather would fit nicely. A little variety.. Also, if you shop around you can get a discount. I was offered 25% new full set. I'm really thinking of pulling the trigger.
JoseR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 11:17 AM   #9
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Love my blue Aqua Terra

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 05:56 PM   #10
Max 66
Banned

Aqua Terra is definitely a great watch. The new version with horizontal stripes is as awesome as the previous one with vertical stripes. 
Apart from the change in the position of the date, to my taste the substantial difference is between the versions with a full brushed bracelet and the versions with central links polished.
With the brushed bracelet the AT is really a versatile watch, indeed the vertical stripes and the arrow indexes make the watch sufficiently elegant to be used with a suit and the brushed bracelet gives to the watch a sporty look making it perfect also with jeans and T shirt.
Below a photo of my AT (41.5 mm brushed bracelet) paired with the OP 34 of my wife.  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210112_130304.jpg (192.7 KB, 1072 views)
Max 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 11:48 PM   #11
wrxdev
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
I have the current AT 8900 slate blue dial on a rubber strap. It is my daily and I love the watch. The rubber is super versatile and feels great on the wrist. You can easily find them at most ADs and also get a healthy discount. I got mine for about 30% off from a trusted grey with box and papers.
wrxdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 10:22 AM   #12
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Has anyone seen the AT small seconds that is dropping later this month? Curious what those look like in the steel so to speak...
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 10:51 AM   #13
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by yessir69 View Post
Has anyone seen the AT small seconds that is dropping later this month? Curious what those look like in the steel so to speak...
AT small seconds? I haven't heard of that. Is it possible you're thinking of the soon-to-come De Ville Tresor with small seconds?

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 11:19 AM   #14
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
AT small seconds? I haven't heard of that. Is it possible you're thinking of the soon-to-come De Ville Tresor with small seconds?

There's been a rumor of the AT with small seconds.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2021, 11:53 AM   #15
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post

My AD in Frisco said it's an Aqua Terra. He's been reliable in the past.

Btw the Tresor looks great. Is that in production?
Old 3 April 2021, 10:13 PM   #16
Golfguy77
"TRF" Member

I purchased reference 220.10.41.21.10.001 (green dial) back in October 2020. Great all around watch. You won’t be disappointed if you pull the trigger on the AT.
Golfguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 02:59 AM   #17
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
One of my favorites. METAS spec chronometer movement, very comfortable to wear.

Here was my fuill review

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ighlight=Sedna

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 03:25 AM   #18
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

It's a fantastic watch. I "have" the version above as well, although mine had the hour hands misalign and has been in service for about two months. Other than that, it's fun, but can dress up well, too.

I don't think the bracelet has any micro adjustments, so I wonder how I'd like it all the time on metal, but the rubber is fantastic. I'll see if I have any pics on my phone I can post later, but I do love mine!!!
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 03:31 AM   #19
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 April 2021, 03:35 AM   #20
lutchki
Banned

Nice.
lutchki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 09:45 AM   #21
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinjimmy View Post

Damn that's a killer watch

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 10:04 AM   #22
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

That’s a beauty.
Old 10 April 2021, 03:16 AM   #23
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
One of my favorites. METAS spec chronometer movement, very comfortable to wear.

Here was my fuill review

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ighlight=Sedna

THAT ONE! Nice looking watch indeed.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 09:24 AM   #24
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
Still haven't pulled the trigger yet. Are they using "blue" lume on the new ones? that may be a game changer for me new vs old. Silly I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinjimmy View Post

WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 09:41 AM   #25
britxt0
Banned

The latest generations are simply amazing
britxt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 09:44 AM   #26
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks6pd View Post
Still haven't pulled the trigger yet. Are they using "blue" lume on the new ones? that may be a game changer for me new vs old. Silly I know.

Yes the lume is blue. Minute hand might be green I’d have to double check.

Old 28 May 2021, 10:36 AM   #27
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I have an older AT. I sold my first one, missed it, bought a similar one in Dec. 2019.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 12:41 PM   #28
Mifune
Banned

Ive been enamored with the AT worldtimer... and as much as I love that green dial AT, I think I may add one.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 04:40 PM   #29
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I love all generations of AquaTerra. I’ve had my AT 2500 for 15 years and still love it. I’m always tempted to buy a new version with a blue teak dial, but I can’t justify two ATs in my watch box.

So I guess my answer is - whichever version you buy you’re going to love it!

DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2021, 05:06 AM   #30
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
I'm still rocking my Gray dial 8500 41.5mm that I purchased in 2011. I did have some issues with setting the time as the hour hand wasn't jumping. Other than that great watch. The new ones look nice, but I haven't seen them in person.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote