The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 13 April 2021, 01:12 AM   #361
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post
AP launches this abomination and meanwhile PP just absolutely kills it with this launch. Please tell me, which would you choose?
I understand that with the typical online mob-mentality each post needs to ramp-up the hyperbole to top what was posted prior, but comparing the BP concept to the PP launch (which mostly replaced a dial in the old hype color with one in the new hype color) while ignoring the major updates to CODE, ROC, ROO diver and ROO chrono is a bit disingenuous.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 01:18 AM   #362
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
It’s got dick hands.

Anyone trying to laud AP for “pushing boundaries” must be wearing special glasses the rest of the world isn’t.
Old 13 April 2021, 01:21 AM   #363
Sleepy996
"TRF" Member

Its a guy in a cat suit jumping out of the face of the watch.
Old 13 April 2021, 01:31 AM   #364
Brew
"TRF" Member

If the suit was made from gortex, it probably wouldn't need the ball fan.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 02:50 AM   #365
Uros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm2 View Post
This forum is funny. AP releases new in house caliber in the Royal Oak, Offshore and Diver. 15202PT 2 weeks ago. They release one specific watch in their concept line (which is always for pushing the bounds and trying something different) and everyone is all up at arms.

Maybe they should just stick with everyone else and just do new colors on dials and call it a day....

My take is they are going after some of the crazy RM watches. If this had an RM logo it would be 1m+ and no one would blink an eye.

So true +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 03:36 AM   #366
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This forum is funny. AP releases new in house caliber in the Royal Oak, Offshore and Diver. 15202PT 2 weeks ago. They release one specific watch in their concept line (which is always for pushing the bounds and trying something different) and everyone is all up at arms.

Maybe they should just stick with everyone else and just do new colors on dials and call it a day....

My take is they are going after some of the crazy RM watches. If this had an RM logo it would be 1m+ and no one would blink an eye.
Even RM would never even think of throwing a comic book character on the face of a piece, and that says a lot considering they have done an entire bonbon collection. I guarantee RM, PP and Rolex are busting their guts as this misstep. I can pretty much guarantee this will go down as the absolute worst release of a top brand in history unless it is somehow trumped by their next "comic book" inspired release.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 03:56 AM   #367
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
Even RM would never even think of throwing a comic book character on the face of a piece, and that says a lot considering they have done an entire bonbon collection. I guarantee RM, PP and Rolex are busting their guts as this misstep. I can pretty much guarantee this will go down as the absolute worst release of a top brand in history unless it is somehow trumped by their next "comic book" inspired release.
At the end of the day this will dilute AP's brand.
turkeysub93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 04:07 AM   #368
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post

There's more fun in the chase and the speculation than there is in knowing. On April 11th no one will care, until then we have 10 more days of intrigue....
How wrong was I?

Golf season is back, so thank you TRF you've been a great source of boredom relief for the last few months...but now the fairways call...at least until there's something new and interesting to discuss.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 09:12 AM   #369
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
Quote:

A new in house caliber? Not really, it's the same caliber found in the Code 11.59 or the 15500, you can't really say it's new anymore in 2021. And I always cringe when AP releases Royal Oak limited editions without the pantograph cut dial, it's litterally the best element design of the dial that makes the watch so unique and popular imo. As for the Code 11.59, it's still a dog, no matter how hard they try to make it cool. Replacing the case material with ceramic just because everybody drools over the Royal Oak PC ceramic version is not going to make the 11.59 suddenly desirable, at least as far as I'm concerned. Quite honestly, it's still a miracle this brand hasn't been run to the ground despite the egomaniac best efforts, ever since he thought it was a good idea to axe his AD network for a very niche boutique system that is just more of the same BS at the end of the day.

Patek, meanwhile, has managed to bring a much improved movement in their Calatrava line, a modern case size and interesting dials while staying true to what made their brand successful in the first place. You know that they know they are on top of the watchmaker world when they are not afraid to discontinue their most popular reference ever, a testament to how deep and strong their catalog is next to the one trick pony.
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 09:23 AM   #370
RLXSRGN
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I actually agree that this immediately reminded me of Richard Mille... these are watches that aren’t for the traditional WIS. This is why some of you guys that are upset by the marvel collab, probably don’t like RM or can’t ever see yourself buying an RM. since the movement for RM (whether you like to face facts or not, are made by AP).

As far as I know, I identify with AP because they take chances using new material and have concepts that allow them to make some “out-there” watches. If it wasn’t for the royal oak you wouldn’t have the steel luxury watch. I can remind you how scrutinized they were for the royal oak initially. It’s in their DNA to make non-traditional watches. Not everything will be a hit, but I appreciate the effort to be different. The Rolex release, just an example of how you can’t please people. Make changes or keep the same watch line and people are always going to be complaining. Allow people to try out new things and don’t scrutinize them for that... some attempts will be successful and some won’t. If everyone agreed on everything then the world would be a pretty dull place. I say that this will raise AP’s perceived stock in certain markets and demographics.
RLXSRGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 09:26 AM   #371
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

agree with everything except that this would be a hit if RM did it. RM watches are very out there but they're a lot less corny than this. their most "out there" watches feel more like art because it's all skeletonized, whereas this feels gimmicky/childish because it's just a comic book character and a tourbillon. for example, even the 57-03 looks elegant compared to this, maybe it's just me. i think it's something to do with how big they made the black panther and the way they organized the dial with the hands being in the worst possible place
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 09:42 AM   #372
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
agree with everything except that this would be a hit if RM did it. RM watches are very out there but they're a lot less corny than this. their most "out there" watches feel more like art because it's all skeletonized, whereas this is gimmicky
please don't forget about the koi fish version!!!!
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 09:58 AM   #373
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
please don't forget about the koi fish version!!!!
lol i edited it once i remembered they have the koi fish and dragon and not just a skull
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 10:30 AM   #374
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Watch isn’t for me but the hyperventilating about the brand is over the top. And no Patek did not truly discontinue the nautilus anymore than AP discontinued the jumbo. They will both be back with a new reference number and a tweak or two.

And a reminder for Patek fanatics - almost all Patek models lose money as soon as you walk out the door.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 10:52 AM   #375
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Watch isn’t for me but the hyperventilating about the brand is over the top. And no Patek did not truly discontinue the nautilus anymore than AP discontinued the jumbo. They will both be back with a new reference number and a tweak or two.

And a reminder for Patek fanatics - almost all Patek models lose money as soon as you walk out the door.
agreed, but so is the non-sense I read all over the internet (not just here on TRF) of the AP fanboys like the brand can't do any wrong and make excuses such as "cutting edge", "AP is taking risks" and blhablhabha just because they are hoping they can get a skeleton CE piece allocated. Let's call a spade a spade - the watch is trash - it's not even debatable (don't even start with everything is subjective).
Old 13 April 2021, 11:31 AM   #376
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
It’s got dick hands.

Anyone trying to laud AP for “pushing boundaries” must be wearing special glasses the rest of the world isn’t.

I vote for this as post of the year
Old 13 April 2021, 11:55 AM   #377
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
agreed, but so is the non-sense I read all over the internet (not just here on TRF) of the AP fanboys like the brand can't do any wrong and make excuses such as "cutting edge", "AP is taking risks" and blhablhabha just because they are hoping they can get a skeleton CE piece allocated. Let's call a spade a spade - the watch is trash - it's not even debatable (don't even start with everything is subjective).
I saw it in person and there are elements of this watch that are great (curved case, bezel and sapphire). I would not be surprised to see those elements in a future non-marvel 42mm concept, and that is something I would seriously consider. As for the rest, I am not a mind reader and assume those who take a different point of view than you are acting in good faith. Not to mention that if you really think that is how you get a special piece from AP you are way off base.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 12:21 PM   #378
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
I saw it in person and there are elements of this watch that are great (curved case, bezel and sapphire). I would not be surprised to see those elements in a future non-marvel 42mm concept, and that is something I would seriously consider. As for the rest, I am not a mind reader and assume those who take a different point of view than you are acting in good faith. Not to mention that if you really think that is how you get a special piece from AP you are way off base.
The watch is great except the dial which is so bad that it overpowers all the nice things about the watch. The way AP integrated the BP motif was just lazy and way over the top.
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 12:26 PM   #379
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
The watch is great except the dial which is so bad that it overpowers all the nice things about the watch. The way AP integrated the BP motif was just lazy and way over the top.
Agreed. 100%

The watch is solid.

And if they just did subtle references to Black Panther and Wakanda, with some minor visual cues, that would've worked better.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 12:38 PM   #380
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeysub93 View Post
There isn’t a word in the English language to describe just how terrible of a watch AP has produced here...sad day.
Fu uh glee.. but it will sell to some.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 03:55 PM   #381
GS93108
"TRF" Member

I’m not a fan of this specific BP model but that’s because I’m not at all familiar with BP, if it was Spider-Man or similar, something that I knew from my comic days then it would be a different matter.

However I’m a big fan of the new 42mm Concept and for sure there will be non Marvel iterations at some point.

Just to get some perspective, here’s the non-BP version. A totally different look.

Old 13 April 2021, 03:57 PM   #382
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
I’m not a fan of this specific BP model but that’s because I’m not at all familiar with BP, if it was Spider-Man or similar, something that I knew from my comic days then it would be a different matter.

However I’m a big fan of the new 42mm Concept and for sure there will be non Marvel iterations at some point.

Just to get some perspective, here’s the non-BP version. A totally different look.

This is so much nicer. They could have tone down the BP figurine maybe just his head and/or emblem at the 12 o'clock. The figure could be embossed as a hunter caseback.
Old 13 April 2021, 04:01 PM   #383
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Of course I was being facetious about the allocation but to put it more eloquently it’s just not for me. Yes 42mm concept size sounds like a good idea but that’s really the only good thing. Craftsmanship and finishing were never questioned by anyone it’s the design that upsets people.
Old 13 April 2021, 04:09 PM   #384
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There's no 'good faith' going on here. The internet goes in for the kill first and asks questions later.

I'm not a fan of this BP model, but from what I've seen and read then I think this new 42mm Concept will be a hit, in the same way that I think the new 43mm more ergonomic ROO will be a hit, and my position won't change if the BP tanks and all 250 remain unsold.
Old 13 April 2021, 05:15 PM   #385
xsnv
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Whilst not to my taste this is so much better. I’d understand how some could like this (even though I don’t). I can’t say the same for the actual BP version which just looks tacky.

The hours of work and fine finishing should be evident from the product, you shouldn’t need to be told. I’ve owned two ROO’s so I’m a fan of the brand but not to the point where I believe they’re infallible or have lost my objectivity (it’ll take at least two CE special editions to do that 😅)
xsnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 06:00 PM   #386
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnv View Post
Whilst not to my taste this is so much better. I’d understand how some could like this (even though I don’t). I can’t say the same for the actual BP version which just looks tacky.

The hours of work and fine finishing should be evident from the product, you shouldn’t need to be told. I’ve owned two ROO’s so I’m a fan of the brand but not to the point where I believe they’re infallible or have lost my objectivity (it’ll take at least two CE special editions to do that 😅)
The problem is that the huge majority of people haven't seen it IRL. I haven't either. Thus we are left unimpressed or completely negative. Unfortunately I find that's the case with ALL AP's until I see them IRL, the pictures NEVER do the actual pieces justice, and AP's new website doesn't fix that. However, in this instance I don't recall many/any negative comments about the 42mm Concept itself, just about the BP 'decal' and that's definitely a 'subjective' issue, there is no right and wrong, even if the majority think it's awful that doesn't turn 'subjective' into 'objective'.

As to naysaying, I thought the 'event' prior to the live auction part was shockingly bad, and I'm glad I didn't watch is live and thus could fast forward.

I find the vitriolic comments amusing, not because I'm scoffing at those people, rather that I don't get the passion, after all it's only a bloody watch!
Old 13 April 2021, 09:23 PM   #387
ts3
"TRF" Member

People praising specific design elements such as the 42mm concept case and curved crystal says enough about a watch that is mostly about the dial.

Not sure if seeing the watch IRL will help. If I don't like the design / aesthetics of a watch - which can typically be assessed well enough from pics - other factors that can be better experienced IRL such as craftmanship or comfort don't matter much anymore.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 12:27 AM   #388
shkure
Banned

Just saw it today. Its amazing in real life. The elements on the black Panther statue are breathtaking. Feels like he is alive in the dial. Photos dont do it justice.

shkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 12:41 AM   #389
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

I saw the watch today (I'm not special enough to be invited to a preview). This particular specimen was sold, so didn't get to try it but could only admire it from afar.

The new size, curved case, crystal/bezel and overall craftsmanship are outstanding. I like the color scheme. That leaves the Black Panther as the main source of contention.

My opinion has evolved a bit. If one sees this as a work of high art or haute horlogerie it is easy to find fault - I for example think it is not far-out enough, and that a more abstract/conceptual treatment of the BP connection would have been better (I see no problem at all in the Marvel connection per se).

If on the other hand one steps back and realizes that for the 250 clients that will receive this watch (and I think they'll sell all of them) the 150kCHF price of entry is small (or maybe medium) change, one can think about this differently: Look at it with a sense of amusement, a unique cutting edge mechanical watch with some fun graphics, some intended or unintended adult humor, providing a reminder not to take everything too seriously. Why not take this, instead of adding the n-th iteration of a Nautilus, PP GC or AP QP, or an equally silly RM to the collection?

To me that now seems a more rational take than handwringing about the downfall of civilization. If my amusement budget was 20-50x larger than it is, I'd get one, maybe just as a middle finger to all the dour faces.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 01:54 AM   #390
Uros
"TRF" Member

Good or bad this topic has cca 400 replies vs 14 replies for new perpetual in PP section...

Cant wait for 2024 and new release:)

Uros is offline   Reply With Quote