The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 29 November 2009, 05:01 PM   #1
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ, SS DJ
Let's Go Back To The Beginning . . .

Do you recall when in your life that your interest in writing instruments first began? Was there a special pen that ignited your interest in collecting? Please fill in the blanks by providing us with your personal history with writing instruments.

I mentioned on another post earlier tonight that as a young girl, I happened to win a contest at a party. My reward was an ornate pen with faux jewels on the top and perfumed ink. I can't begin to describe how I loved that pen, the way it looked and that heavenly smell which permeated the paper everytime I wrote. That pen has been long gone, God knows where, but the feelings it elicited are quite memorable. Behind every collector is a story, please tell as yours.
Old 29 November 2009, 05:17 PM   #2
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Picked-up a Cross 14Kt rolled gold ballpoint pen in the street,when I was around 9-10 years old.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2009, 12:42 AM   #3
Browining
"TRF" Member

Same here, a chrome cross pen. Started collecting Cross Pens, took a long period away from collecting then started collecting Montblancs. Still have the Cross' and about a dozen Montblancs. Currently collecting only the WE pens.

Browning
Browining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2009, 12:49 AM   #4
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
Honestly, I was never into pens (precisely fps). but after joining TRF and interacting with real pen officianados, I found myself reading and learning more about them. Now, the LAMY Studio fp is my daily workhorse.

Nothing like writing with a fp!
Old 30 November 2009, 03:18 AM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Back in the '50s there were no ball pens, so the minute we reached that grade where fountain pens become mandatory, I received my first pen from my dad - a SWAN.

I remember having to cart a small ink bottle along to school as well to fill the pen up.

Sigh......those were the days!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2009, 03:23 AM   #6
datejust1
Banned

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Back in the '50s there were no ball pens, so the minute we reached that grade where fountain pens become mandatory, I received my first pen from my dad - a SWAN.

I remember having to cart a small ink bottle along to school as well to fill the pen up.

Sigh......those were the days!!
Wow JJ. My Dad tells me those same stories...

Well the one that started my passion for Writing Instruments was a MontBlanc mechanical pencil that my dad loaned me...
datejust1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2009, 03:28 AM   #7
Safetrends
Banned

Watch: my hand. :)
fountain pens

I have a collection of fountain pens: WA Sheaffer pen, 2 Easterbrook pens, Luxor pen, Enator from Germany and a Parker. All of these are as old as I am and that is old!
Safetrends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2009, 04:22 AM   #8
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
I'm not a collector of pens, but my father bought me a Cross pen and pencil set when I was about 13 that sparked my interest. I'm actually just now getting into fountain pens. My wife bought me a MB FP for Christmas last year, and Bisquitlips has been a great resource for all things pens.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2009, 04:53 AM   #9
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
I have been seriously collecting for about 25 years or so.

I really don't know what sparked my interest in them other than I began keeping a journal about that time. Fountain pens just kinda came naturally after that.
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2009, 05:48 AM   #10
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
It was my dad who gave me all the unwanted pen gifts that sparked my interests in pens. They included a Dunhill, Dupont, Parker and Cross ballpen. They are still somewhere in the house. My first fp was a Sheaffer my mother gave me.
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2009, 10:33 AM   #11
Lol-x
Facilitator

Great story Faith
Sounds like a fairy princes story with the glass slipper that fitted and thereafter you became enchanted by the magic of pens.

I guess my early influence was from my sister who had an interest in calligraphy and she had a lot of fountain pens that she got from my father. My sister is a bit of an artist and she writes so beautifully.

I remember getting a calligraphy set when I was about 9 that had a cartridge filler italic nib. I then got a Shaeffer SS fountain pen, and many others along the way.

I remember having a Pelikan demonstrator cartridge pen and when I was 14 a kid at school borrowed it and maliciously destroyed the nib. Unfortunately, this left a very lasting impression of sadness upon me as the pen was my sisters, and I loved it. For many years I just lost interest in pens. I'll never forget seeing that nib on the Pelikan bent at right angles. Luck I didn't become very violent thinking back, I felt like really doing something serious.

I just can't understand the mentality of someone that would maliciously destroy a beautiful writing instrument. very saddening.

Then I got into Montblanc in or about the early 1980's......and that continues through to today. But I am hoping I may broaden my horizons.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2009, 11:11 AM   #12
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x

I remember having a Pelikan demonstrator cartridge pen and when I was 14 a kid at school borrowed it and maliciously destroyed the nib. Unfortunately, this left a very lasting impression of sadness upon me as the pen was my sisters, and I loved it. For many years I just lost interest in pens. I'll never forget seeing that nib on the Pelikan bent at right angles. Luck I didn't become very violent thinking back, I felt like really doing something serious.
Steve, it's understandable after this aversive experience how your interest in pens would be dampened to say the least. After all, we know how "kind" kids can be. While you'll probably always remember that incident, we are glad you rebounded with a contagious zeal for writing instruments. It comes across clearly in your posts. And not to worry, what goes around, comes around and who knows what kind of life that little juvenile delinquent went on to live? But of all the pens to destroy - a Pelikan demonstrator?! Ouch! The addition of this subforum was a wonderful idea. I have a feeling you'll be sharing many more of your acquisitions over time.
Old 30 November 2009, 11:39 AM   #13
TattooedGQ
"TRF" Member

Watch: yo self!
I just re-discovered the pen thing. I have a couple of Cross cheapies and a nice Waterman rollerball. I need to get myself a nice fountain pen....I dig the old school style of them.
TattooedGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2009, 11:03 PM   #14
Deep Sea
"TRF" Member

Watch: A Rolex or two
I have had a handful of nicer Waterman and Cross pens over the years, but somehow managed to lose nearly all of them along the way to the present. I've been oogling the nicer pens in jewelry stores for a while, but have not really waded in deep yet. However, I just purchased some nicer rollerball pens last week as gifts, and am toying with a cheaper FP to see how I like it.

This forum is helping a lot in sparking the interest, and immensely in the educational side of things!
Deep Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2009, 11:08 AM   #15
Fofo

Watch: Explorer II
Hi!

Well, it's my first post on the "pens & writing instruments" side of the forum.

I too had a very early experience with pens. My dad had received as a present from some visitors to his office a pen. The pen was nothing fancy, mostly functional, but it had perfumed ink. I just loved it and I'm still trying to figure out which pen or ink it was (it is loooong gone, I was probably 5, but I still remember the nice smell). He also had a fountain pen and I played with it (I'm surprised about how cool he was about me using his fountain pen and also surprised that I didn't break it). When I graduated from college my parents gave me as a present a nice Sheaffer set, but it's my "special occasions" set; for normal use I have a Waterman (and I lost a Sheaffer), and a couple of disposable fountain pens at the office for jotting down notes (but I do most of my writing at work with a 0.3 mm mechanical pencil).
Fofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2009, 11:46 AM   #16
Omega_Precision
Banned

Watch: ing basketball
This pen or this actual video, a couple years ago, got me started buying pens.

I am a sucker for gadgets and I thought this pen was just that.

Omega_Precision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2009, 10:34 PM   #17
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

I can remember growing up when the chrome Cross pen & pencil sets were a big deal. If you were really snappy, you'd own a gold one!! I still use two chrome BP Cross's in my uniform shirts. They look nice and remarkably I don't seem to lose these.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2009, 02:01 AM   #18
shandy
Banned

Great thread Faith!
I got started due to probelms at School. When I was young my brain always was two steps ahead of what my body was doing so reading and writing were difficult. I used to stutter as well, to the point that were it an Olympic sport I would have won gold!

I was given elocution lessons to help the stuttering, extra reading lesson to help with that and a fountain pen to help with my writing. Up until that point my hand writing looked like a crow had crossed the page!

In a very short time the fountain pen started working for me, it helped me think about what I was writing there and then, not two paragraphs ahead!

Within a year I was winning gold stars ( we used to be given gold, silver or bronze sticky stars that would be stuck on the page of work by the teacher) for my writing. I was really grateful to one teacher especially who really helped me through this all. My first pen was a Parker, can't remember exactly which one but it was an ink fill not a cartridge.

I remember always lusting after my teachers fountain pen, a Sheaffer, it had an intigrated nib and was big and wrote like butter. I have since found out it would have been a PFM so I know I will be adding one of those to the collection in memory of that great teacher!

If any of you out there have children with learning difficulties, all the extra effort is worthwhile with them!

Fast forward to now and that kid who had learning difficulties back then is involved with nine book projects with various authors and now one of his own!

The value of good educators can never be underestimated or the love of a good parent or parents (parent in my case as early on my dad was literally a muderous bugger)

It really does bring out the best in a child and has led me to the path I take now where I believe that EVERYONE has potential to do their very best, all they need is time and encouragment.
shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2009, 11:31 AM   #19
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

A very inspiring post, Shandy. You are indeed a gentleman and a scholar.
Old 4 December 2009, 12:36 PM   #20
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
I can't remember, but I do remember how proud I was to get my first Cross Pen/Pencil set when I was 19... I still have that beat up set and the pen doesn't even work, but they are my treasures.
Old 4 December 2009, 01:06 PM   #21
diversified
"TRF" Member

777, Send it back to Cross. They will either repair it or replace it for free. I've used my gold pen/pecil desk set for 20-25 years, the pencil broke after 15 years, sent it to Cross and they shipped me a new one.
It's nice to know somebody unconditionally backs their product.
diversified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2009, 01:13 PM   #22
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diversified View Post
777, Send it back to Cross. They will either repair it or replace it for free. I've used my gold pen/pecil desk set for 20-25 years, the pencil broke after 15 years, sent it to Cross and they shipped me a new one. It's nice to know somebody unconditionally backs their product.
I don't have any box or papers with it, but my name is inscribed. Will they still do it? (please say YES)
Old 4 December 2009, 01:28 PM   #23
diversified
"TRF" Member

As a matter of fact, my pen/pencil set was originally given to me as a gift with no documentation at all. I sent the broken pencil back to be repaired, they told me it was an outdated pencil and sent me a new updated pencil free.
Believe me, this was important. I have two totally stupid superstitions:
1. My Cross pen/pencil set has been with me from the first day of my business and rode with me thru the years - must have on my desk.
2. Whenever I've switched my main office that I work out of and print new business cards to reflect my new location, the first business card I take out of the box must be tucked into my desk calander flap, no matter what condition over the years.
I know it is stupid but there are strict orders never to touch my pen/pencil set or worn away business card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC030230.JPG (42.9 KB, 13 views)
diversified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2009, 01:40 PM   #24
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

That's good to know - thanks for sharing!!! I just may do it!
Old 4 December 2009, 01:57 PM   #25
shandy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffi Abernathy View Post
A very inspiring post, Shandy. You are indeed a gentleman and a scholar.
From a kind good soul such as yourself Faith that is indeed a compliment, thank you very much.
shandy is offline   Reply With Quote