The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 February 2018, 04:47 AM   #1
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre Edition

I purchased the Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre Edition watch (the version worn by Daniel Craig in Spectre) back in 2015 from the Omega Boutique (NY) and have worn it briefly off and on over the years.

However, it is just not getting enough wrist time and not making it into a regular rotation and more or less sits in my watch box.

Thinking of consolidating 2-3 infrequently used pieces and perhaps take accumulated combined funds to go for a bigger grail piece....

Thoughts? Or is the Spectre edition a worthy model to keep for collectibility purposes?
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 05:45 AM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

It's one of my favorite watches.....though like you I don't have much wrist time with it....but this comes from having a collection more so than my feelings on the watch I guess....it would depend on what you're heading toward.....for me it's definitely a nice collector watch and one of the few Omega pieces that do well with value retention (especially on the modern side).
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 06:14 AM   #3
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
It's one of my favorite watches.....though like you I don't have much wrist time with it....but this comes from having a collection more so than my feelings on the watch I guess....it would depend on what you're heading toward.....for me it's definitely a nice collector watch and one of the few Omega pieces that do well with value retention (especially on the modern side).
I'm glad you responded....
You have great insight into timepieces!

I do like the way it looks. Many watches in current production today look like the Spectre (or maybe Spectre took styling cues from them). For example, JLC Polaris, Longines heritage watches, and some others which i can't think of off the top of my head.

The problem i have is that I'm not wearing it with any frequency nor does the watch has any solid sentimental value.

I'm thinking that I can maybe put the funds towards a Patek 5167 or FP Journe Chronometre Bleu. That said, I'd hate to let the Spectre go, if we see some obscene value increase. However, having a 5167 or FPJ CB should have staying power too ;-)
Old 7 February 2018, 07:35 AM   #4
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
I'm glad you responded....
You have great insight into timepieces!

I do like the way it looks. Many watches in current production today look like the Spectre (or maybe Spectre took styling cues from them). For example, JLC Polaris, Longines heritage watches, and some others which i can't think of off the top of my head.

The problem i have is that I'm not wearing it with any frequency nor does the watch has any solid sentimental value.

I'm thinking that I can maybe put the funds towards a Patek 5167 or FP Journe Chronometre Bleu. That said, I'd hate to let the Spectre go, if we see some obscene value increase. However, having a 5167 or FPJ CB should have staying power too ;-)
The Spectre as you know is just a special edition of the SM300 Coaxial....which in itself pays homage to the original design cues from the original Seamaster 300/CK2913 from 1957....it's a modern design of a timeless watch and proven to be very popular. That's one of the main reasons why it's so popular and will IMO will stay that way.

I personally think those other watches you're looking at are great but probably not as "safe" if you're thinking about value. The FPJ and the Patek are cool pieces on the side of haute horology but will most likely take a bath over time......IMO the recent fascination (yes I'm caught up in it somewhat also on the Nautilus also) with Patek is completely artificial/temporary and in general I don't see these overpriced stainless watches hold any sort of real value in the long term....the way they're controlling supply and blowing up this fad is only going to backfire (and it already has) on the brand as a whole.

But you know, we go with the heart in this hobby eventually after acquiring a decent collection with high desirability (like your collection with this and the Daytonas/SD4k etc)....it's always about chasing what's next and it's never logical (what holds the most value etc).....might sway the decision but you can't fight what you desire. I say if you want to move it and you're happy with the FPJ/Patek, go for it and enjoy.....don't gamble/play the "investment" watch game unless you really want to play.....and that's via vintage IMO.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 08:05 AM   #5
TimeRookie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
The Spectre as you know is just a special edition of the SM300 Coaxial....which in itself pays homage to the original design cues from the original Seamaster 300/CK2913 from 1957....it's a modern design of a timeless watch and proven to be very popular. That's one of the main reasons why it's so popular and will IMO will stay that way.

I personally think those other watches you're looking at are great but probably not as "safe" if you're thinking about value. The FPJ and the Patek are cool pieces on the side of haute horology but will most likely take a bath over time......IMO the recent fascination (yes I'm caught up in it somewhat also on the Nautilus also) with Patek is completely artificial/temporary and in general I don't see these overpriced stainless watches hold any sort of real value in the long term....the way they're controlling supply and blowing up this fad is only going to backfire (and it already has) on the brand as a whole.

But you know, we go with the heart in this hobby eventually after acquiring a decent collection with high desirability (like your collection with this and the Daytonas/SD4k etc)....it's always about chasing what's next and it's never logical (what holds the most value etc).....might sway the decision but you can't fight what you desire. I say if you want to move it and you're happy with the FPJ/Patek, go for it and enjoy.....don't gamble/play the "investment" watch game unless you really want to play.....and that's via vintage IMO.

Great Insight!!
Pelagos 42mm
Explorer II 226570
TimeRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 01:58 PM   #6
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thank you....

I definitely have things to think about :)

I guess watches are really personal and eye of beholder.
In addition to my Rolex timepieces and Tudor, I also have Omega Speedy and CK2998 LE. Love both my Omegas, but haven't quite developed the same love for the Spectre.

Something to think about like i said....!
Old 22 March 2018, 09:25 AM   #7
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
Quote:
Thank you....

I definitely have things to think about :)

I guess watches are really personal and eye of beholder.
In addition to my Rolex timepieces and Tudor, I also have Omega Speedy and CK2998 LE. Love both my Omegas, but haven't quite developed the same love for the Spectre.

Something to think about like i said....!
Interesting that we have some overlap in collections, but have bonded with different watches.

The Seamaster 300 Spectre has probably been my most worn watch over the past couple years. With a long power reserve, no date, no PCLs and great accuracy, it's so easy to pick up and go.

I used to wear my BLNR on Fridays, and on nights out, but since picking up a Grand Seiko SBGW253, I'm not wearing the BLNR to the office as much.

And my CK2998... just kinda gets randomly rotated. Sometimes, I don't wear it for a few weeks, and even think about selling it, then I'll really look at it, or look at the Speedy 60th Anniversary poster and think "damn, that's the best looking watch."

Not so much for funding, but I'm considering letting the BLNR go for consolidation purposes. I love the GMT complication, but lately, all my travel has been between two time zones 12 hours apart. Don't really need a GMT watch to help me out with that, lol. I may let go of the CK2998, too.

I'm picking up an AP this year, and am thinking of consolidating down to the SBGW253 as my main office watch, the Seamaster 300 Spectre as my go-to weekend, weekday evening watch, and the AP as my going out watch. And maybe something fun like a Halios sprinkled in randomly.
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 11:44 AM   #8
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

In this passion of ours, always go with your heart. After all, we’re in this for pleasure.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 11:45 AM   #9
psv
"TRF" Member

If you even thinking of selling it, it means that it has lost its special place. Might as well move it and go for something you desire more.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 01:32 PM   #10
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
I purchased the Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre Edition watch (the version worn by Daniel Craig in Spectre) back in 2015 from the Omega Boutique (NY) and have worn it briefly off and on over the years.

However, it is just not getting enough wrist time and not making it into a regular rotation and more or less sits in my watch box.

Thinking of consolidating 2-3 infrequently used pieces and perhaps take accumulated combined funds to go for a bigger grail piece....

Thoughts? Or is the Spectre edition a worthy model to keep for collectibility purposes?

I'd highly doubt it.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 12:32 AM   #11
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
If you even thinking of selling it, it means that it has lost its special place. Might as well move it and go for something you desire more.
That's exactly right. The very thought of possibly selling it means that it no longer belongs in your watch box. Imagine your favorite watch (if such a thing exists) - do you ever entertain the notion of selling it? No.
Old 23 March 2018, 12:46 AM   #12
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
That's exactly right. The very thought of possibly selling it means that it no longer belongs in your watch box. Imagine your favorite watch (if such a thing exists) - do you ever entertain the notion of selling it? No.
I get where you're coming from Dave. Patrick as well and I always had the same thought. But last couple years this concept had some change in my case. I entertain the idea of selling everything I own sometimes just for the fun of it and it doesn't mean i'd really do it with my favorite watches. The OP may change his mind and fall in love with it again and it wouldn't surprise me. However if he decides to do it this watch is desirable and won't be hard to move.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 02:16 AM   #13
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
I get where you're coming from Dave. Patrick as well and I always had the same thought. But last couple years this concept had some change in my case. I entertain the idea of selling everything I own sometimes just for the fun of it and it doesn't mean i'd really do it with my favorite watches. The OP may change his mind and fall in love with it again and it wouldn't surprise me. However if he decides to do it this watch is desirable and won't be hard to move.
I know what you mean, I do that too, to visualize what my collection would look like in different formations.

I'm a real hard-liner...with other people's collections! With my own I struggle with getting rid of anything.
Old 23 March 2018, 02:17 AM   #14
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
I know what you mean, I do that too, to visualize what my collection would look like in different formations.

I'm a real hard-liner...with other people's collections! With my own I struggle with getting rid of anything.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 02:47 AM   #15
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post

Lol.
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 08:23 AM   #16
jets
"TRF" Member

I really dig the hour bezel Spectre. I'd keep it.
Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
jets is offline   Reply With Quote