The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 March 2018, 10:00 AM   #91
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i was considering the aquanaut chrono too so the WG daytona on OF will be much less similar to the 5164.

I only have one watch on rubber at the moment and i need another.
Ah, that's true, thought you had more but you've moved to Patek steel and leather.

I have two on rubber and that's more than enough in a five watch haul.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 10:02 AM   #92
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I know you're a VIP Larry but didn't think you'd get the SS BLRO quite so soon!
Old 23 March 2018, 10:08 AM   #93
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Funny. I'm trying to work out a deal for a WG Oysterflex right at this moment. My only reservation is having another watch on rubber and the choice I would have to make every morning - which I have to admit, would still have me grabbing the 5164 9 times out of 10.
I had my RG ceramic on leather and can say it was the most Patek-like in feel of any Rolex I've had, very nicely detailed and sleek. Would recommend the even nicer WG for sure, Tom.
Old 23 March 2018, 12:16 PM   #94
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC IW389001
Lazy? No, I bet they sweated these decisions.

Innovative? Absolutely not. Sure there is some serious materials tech in the bicoloured bezels, which they did a few years ago. Also the new movements will have taken a huge validation effort. But as far as the styling goes, as always small steps.

I like the new SS GMTIIC, but will I buy one? No, I prefer my 116710LN.

They did answer my personal request, and added a roman dial on the SS DJ41, with green highlights of the slate dial no less. Great, but when can I try it on? Next year maybe. By then I may have moved on...
jagwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 12:22 PM   #95
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
i guess ss really is the new gold.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 12:43 PM   #96
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagwap View Post

....and added a roman dial on the SS DJ41, with green highlights of the slate dial no less.
Cool

Didn’t know that...

That has always been one of my fav dial... works well with TT, even tho I am not really into TT.

can’t wait to see the SS version in person
Old 23 March 2018, 12:55 PM   #97
run23
"TRF" Member

Honestly, for me, I’d be happy if they would have stopped changing anything decades ago aesthetics-wise (upgraded movement and sapphire crystal are great improvements). Yeah, I know I may be in the minority and a weirdo about this, but what I love about Rolex is how conservative they are with design changes. Yeah, I also know a company needs to come out with new and exciting stuff to stay relevant and actually make money, but give me a 1016 Explorer all day and every day!
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 04:42 PM   #98
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
I'm just upset with the lack of supply. Been on the wait list since last March for the SS SkyD Blue. It's crazy..

Customer: I want this watch you make. It's been a year since it's release. Please take my money. I'll pay full price!

Rolex: Sorry, we don't need your money now. Wait in line for your turn. Don't call us, we'll call your when you money is good enough. BTW, if you really want it now, call one of the grey market dealers(brokers) we sold your watch to and pay a hefty premium to get it now..

It's crazy!!
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 05:31 PM   #99
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

I think Rolex did pretty well in the last 3 Basels:
- 2016: Now a highly desirable SS Daytona
- 2017: Another desirable yet beautiful SD43
- 2018: Exactly what I ever wanted from Rolex - SS Pepsi GMT with Jubilee braclet and triple crown!

As for the reduced production, I don't like it neither but on the bright side it helps maintain the value of our SS sport watches

They did everything right to me, can't complain!
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 05:54 PM   #100
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
They always just like this year make at least 1 watch I want and buy. A few years back it was the 116500's. Last year the SD43 and SS SkyD. This year the SS GMT BLRO. So for me very happy as it is no different than typcial Rolex minor updates and few changes. They never are going to wow everyone or make huge changes that's just who they are. Also no diffferent than every year with Basel many are happy and many are not so life goes on.
Agree!!!
Old 23 March 2018, 08:33 PM   #101
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
I'm just upset with the lack of supply. Been on the wait list since last March for the SS SkyD Blue. It's crazy..

Customer: I want this watch you make. It's been a year since it's release. Please take my money. I'll pay full price!

Rolex: Sorry, we don't need your money now. Wait in line for your turn. Don't call us, we'll call your when you money is good enough. BTW, if you really want it now, call one of the grey market dealers(brokers) we sold your watch to and pay a hefty premium to get it now..

It's crazy!!
This just makes me wonder... could it be, there's actually no shortage?

Ok, maybe there is some shortage because demand is heathly due to good economy and people have $$ to spend but Rolex simply won't/can't make more. Since ADs aren't allow to sell above msrp, so majority of the popular SS Rolex inventory are instead off load to the greys who buys them at a premium and it's covered up, with some of remaining pieces being put up as allocation for their best customers or as carrot for customers to "buy more" before they qualify. Now greys in turn sell them at an even higher premium to buyers that aren't patient and want them now and willing to pay for it. In this way, Rolex still sell the same number of watches, and ADs and greys benefit by getting more profit, all at the expenses of course of us watch buyers.

Make Sense? Food for thought. Anyway, I don't really care and won't play their waiting games. I have more watches than I can wear now to last me for the next decade.
Old 23 March 2018, 10:25 PM   #102
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
I would have liked to see an OP 39 in olive, felt that was something that we should have expected.

The new GMT is nice. I do like it, even the TT.

It seems a little weird that the Explorer II was neglected as I felt they were do to make a few changes.

Wasn’t blown away but wasn’t completely disappointed.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 11:25 PM   #103
CaputMortuum
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticaLCawacoL View Post
They did not even set the new GMT caliber in the WG model that is a joke !
They obviously have a large stock of the old WG cases which presumably can't take the new caliber. They'll sell just as well (bad) as they did before.
At least, now they get rid of their stock of these purple pink bezels!
CaputMortuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 11:38 PM   #104
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
I would have liked to see an OP 39 in olive, felt that was something that we should have expected.

The new GMT is nice. I do like it, even the TT.

It seems a little weird that the Explorer II was neglected as I felt they were do to make a few changes.

Wasn’t blown away but wasn’t completely disappointed.
Now, I have heard of this Explorer model you talk of Steve...

The brand is now so centred on a few models, in fact the luxury watch market is now so focussed on just a few models.
Old 23 March 2018, 11:41 PM   #105
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
This just makes me wonder... could it be, there's actually no shortage?

Ok, maybe there is some shortage because demand is heathly due to good economy and people have $$ to spend but Rolex simply won't/can't make more. Since ADs aren't allow to sell above msrp, so majority of the popular SS Rolex inventory are instead off load to the greys who buys them at a premium and it's covered up, with some of remaining pieces being put up as allocation for their best customers or as carrot for customers to "buy more" before they qualify. Now greys in turn sell them at an even higher premium to buyers that aren't patient and want them now and willing to pay for it. In this way, Rolex still sell the same number of watches, and ADs and greys benefit by getting more profit, all at the expenses of course of us watch buyers.

Make Sense? Food for thought. Anyway, I don't really care and won't play their waiting games. I have more watches than I can wear now to last me for the next decade.
Yes, this is largely what's been happening. My only real gripe is now UK greys are asking huge prices but bidding very low, and basically do not want anyone else to make any real profit but them, they don't share, so while the market seems very buoyant on the surface the reality of dealing is not nearly so rosy, and you will have to sell yourself to benefit from rising prices which is another load of hassle.
Old 23 March 2018, 11:48 PM   #106
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
After what they did with the SkD and BLRO, I’m done buying Rolex WG models.
Agreed. Smurf will remain my one and only wg piece.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote