The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 March 2018, 01:53 AM   #151
Ripcode
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I'm glad I have a plain old Submariner.
Ripcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 01:59 AM   #152
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Am I the only one who finds Rolex's naming and our nick naming of the watch awkward? First of all the colors aren't Bleu and Rouge (Blue and Red). They are Grain de Raisin and Canneberge (grape and cranberry). Maybe it should be called a GRCA to be truer to its real coloring instead of BLRO. Has anyone ever seen a Pepsi can with those colors on it? I'm not sure what to call this sort of deceit.

Believe those colors are what they're called if you want; personally I'm not color blind nor gullible.

My issue as well.

Even the pictures on their site are deceptive.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 02:24 AM   #153
johnnyjazz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
I’m happy and content with my WG BLRO and am happy others can enjoy this bezel on a SS “version”

It’s all good

In that light that dial looks exactly like the newer blue version, maybe Rolex saw this and agreed, you are to blame, lol.
johnnyjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 04:21 AM   #154
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfromleeds View Post
Rolex have stuffed all the BLRO owners and took them for fools by selling them a premium priced watch and selling almost the same looking watch for a quarter of the price swop the bracelet from a normal ceramic gmt and hey bingo you have a BLRO in all steel !
I think you're over reacting.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 04:36 AM   #155
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timetracker View Post
‘Inferior’ movement?
Right? Lol. It’s funny how people think sometimes.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 04:58 AM   #156
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Well this is just a observation. There are no 116719 BRLO's for sale here at TRF. There are none at DSW's site. There are none at watchrecon. Some on Ebay but prices are still consistent (no fire sales). For me I like my Black dial much better than the Blue. I think a lot of us are in the same camp and will be enjoying ours for a long time to come.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 05:05 AM   #157
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

I don’t buy Rolex as an investment but I’m always happy to not take a loss from flipping. Just part of the game, don’t think anyone with a WG blro should feel too bad, although I get that it stings. New movement, case, bracelet, dial for a quarter of the cost.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 05:07 AM   #158
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
WG BLRO prices will plummet! It will be the most affordable and likely least desirable PM piece going forward. The new model just put the nail in the coffin.
I hope you’re right, because I want one!!!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 05:27 AM   #159
yhzdude

did people get mad when the white gold pepsi came out, thinking..they are making the steel pepsi 16750 out of reach for most?

why are people getting mad when they just updated the 16750 , with new hardware?
We demanded the pepsi or coke stainless steel, now its out, and next year they will come out with the Coke. We should be happy.
yhzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 07:03 AM   #160
spuds
"TRF" Member

Watch: West Ham! COYI!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
But Dan, your WG BLRO has just become more exclusive, not less.

It appears that you can no longer purchase a BLRO with a black dial on an oyster bracelet. In any material, let alone WG.

You don't hear WG OF Daytona owners maoning about the fact you can put a SS Ceramic Daytona on OF with a pair of £50 endlinks, creating a watch that 99.95 of the population will consider looks exactly the same as the WG version.

(And lets be honest, its going to be easier and cheaper to source an OF for your SS Daytona C than it is a SS BLRO for some years to come)

Thanks Scott....

To be honest after my original disillusionment (?) died down I’m in total agreement.

I’d already been discussing flipping my BLRO (or my Smurf) with WF (possibly the biggest re-seller in the UK) simply because I also have a WG Sub and I fancy adding something dressier like a DD40 to my collection....
and yep their offer against my BLRO has dropped a couple of thousand but I didn’t buy my BLRO as an investment piece and when I had the choice of my Sub or my GMT this morning, the GMT’s still my go to watch.

I don’t think it’ll be going anywhere just yet.

Life is not about how fast you can run or how high you can climb...........
It's about how well you can bounce!!

TRF HALL OF FAME JANUARY 2010
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 07:24 AM   #161
StevenMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Bracelet won’t fit.
StevenMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 07:30 AM   #162
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I don't see the WG crowd getting upset. They gladly paid knowing that the watch looked just like SS. They like the weight, they like WG, they want to be stealthy. Only the owner knows he paid $30k for the watch.

I don't believe in use of WG except to create profit margin for Rolex, I believe SS is a superior material. So now's there's a model for the SS people as well.

But - that bezel eliminates the watch from consideration. I think Rolex messed up with the purple/pink combo and should have tried harder to create a 'real' pepsi contrast. And of course I hope they'll eventually release a proper coke. I'll bet black/red is much easier to achieve and I'm sure we'll see it soon enough.

Looking forward to Basel 2019!
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 08:34 AM   #163
garyfromleeds
Banned

Watch: Deepsea D Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
Thanks Scott....

To be honest after my original disillusionment (?) died down I’m in total agreement.

I’d already been discussing flipping my BLRO (or my Smurf) with WF (possibly the biggest re-seller in the UK) simply because I also have a WG Sub and I fancy adding something dressier like a DD40 to my collection....
and yep their offer against my BLRO has dropped a couple of thousand but I didn’t buy my BLRO as an investment piece and when I had the choice of my Sub or my GMT this morning, the GMT’s still my go to watch.

Its interesting you say the value has dropped a couple of thousand WF are the biggest sellers of used Rolex in the uk and Europe so it seems even they have hedged there bets on the BLRO time will tell .

My gut feeling is that Rolex made a mega mistake here and pxssed down the backs of its high end customers I wouldn't be surprised if people left Rolex and bought Patek from now on especially when spending the money they shelled out for there BLRO .

The high end stuff Rolex turn out will suffer from this why ? they did the same to the white gold sky dweller owners also , what next a steel day date ????
garyfromleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 08:37 AM   #164
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I hope you’re right, because I want one!!!
I was thinking the same....great watch
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 08:44 AM   #165
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
I’m happy and content with my WG BLRO and am happy others can enjoy this bezel on a SS “version”

It’s all good

well said brother
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 08:47 AM   #166
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Why would you think Rolex trashed WG BLRO owners?

The WG is an amazing watch just like the SS BLRO. Did Rolex trash the Yellow Gold Submariner with the black dial Submariner Date?

Not at all. And I guess if you really want others to know your WG Rolex is WG and not SS, maybe YG or RG is the better option since it's distinctly gold. Rolex should be able to make the same color watch dial and bezel in various metals. Buy the metal you want and enjoy
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 09:17 AM   #167
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
Thanks Scott....

Not surprised greys are taking advantage of disillusioned sellers and offering lower prices which will put more downward pressure on their sales prices.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 09:27 AM   #168
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
There should be no surprise. Once they did it with the SkyD the flood gates are open. It’s only s matter of time until there’s a Blue steel sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 March 2018, 10:16 AM   #169
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Manufactures do this update all the times when a current lower priced models inherited some of the stuffs from yesterday higher more expensive model...No big deal. But WG is WG and SS is still SS. It's just like diamonds, they look the same but there're different grades which are priced differently.

Btw, anyone wants to get rid of your WG GMT Pepsi for $9250 please let me know ...
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 10:17 AM   #170
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post
Btw, anyone wants to get rid of your WG GMT Pepsi for $9250 please let me know ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 11:44 AM   #171
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Quote:
You will have to get in the SS line for that. The price for admission to the other club is slightly higher.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 07:52 PM   #172
spuds
"TRF" Member

Watch: West Ham! COYI!!
Quote:
Its interesting you say the value has dropped a couple of thousand WF are the biggest sellers of used Rolex in the uk and Europe so it seems even they have hedged there bets on the BLRO time will tell .

My gut feeling is that Rolex made a mega mistake here and pxssed down the backs of its high end customers I wouldn't be surprised if people left Rolex and bought Patek from now on especially when spending the money they shelled out for there BLRO .

The high end stuff Rolex turn out will suffer from this why ? they did the same to the white gold sky dweller owners also , what next a steel day date ????
To be fair mate 99% of WG Rolex watches have a (very?) similar SS equivalent, with just minor differences such as dial/bezel colours etc.
If you think about it a whole different (non-interchangeable) bracelet is probably as a good a 'differentiator' as the blue bezel/face on my smurf is when compared to my SS Sub'.

Now the initial hoo-ha is already dying down I'm not too worried about it.

In my opinion there's an awful lot of jealousy in this world and evidently even more schadenfreude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Not surprised greys are taking advantage of disillusioned sellers and offering lower prices which will put more downward pressure on their sales prices.
To be fair the same potential buyer also advised me to "sit on it because it'll bounce back" and also if the new blue face is as different to the blue in the bezel as it looks in the pic's he thins my original will bounce back even stronger.

But either way I love mine and I'm not selling it just yet.

Life is not about how fast you can run or how high you can climb...........
It's about how well you can bounce!!

TRF HALL OF FAME JANUARY 2010
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 08:24 PM   #173
Andad

Watch: A few.
[QUOTE=garyfromleeds;8401036]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll the Lex View Post
Still love my blro. And love it even more that it was the first modern Pepsi. Now that it is discontinued and didn’t sell well by any measure, it is even more exclusive. And... it’s pure stealth- it’s a pm model that looks exactly like the ss model. No other modern wg model has that going. Not even the ss skyd has the same dial as the wg model.

you said it not me " its a pm model that looks exactly like the ss model "

thats what I said from the start the new Pepsi just trashed the BLRO it makes the BLRO look cheaper than it is , the new steel Pepsi watches will be ten a penny in a couple of years time when theres a few kicking about rather like the all black ceramic gmt.
So the new Pepsi SS 'will be 10 a penny in a couple of years time'?

Are you ok Gary??

I would have thought that someone in UK, where they have such a glut of sports models, would know things.

I am not a betting man but I'll take all those at list of course?

I even have some old pennies.

If the WG Pepsi owners just sit back and wait a year or two I doubt if anyone will be able to easily buy a new SS Pepsi from an AD or a used WG Pepsi

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 08:35 PM   #174
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhzdude View Post
We demanded the pepsi or coke stainless steel, now its out, and next year they will come out with the Coke. We should be happy.

Not really. I don’t know what’s worse- no ss Pepsi or a ss Pepsi that you have to pay used wg money for on the grey market or waiting years to buy at msrp.

But after the triple Pepsi release, who knows what Rolex will do- maybe they will crank out enough to meet demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 08:55 PM   #175
alexxelor
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
I preferred the lines of the old model in white gold

the new steel pepsi has a different case, much more similar to that submariner

I don't like the blue dial and this commercial strategy makes no sense ,certainly happy to the owners, of the old reference 116719...

I'm sure that the batman will continue to be preferred, and especially the old reference 16710, better if the latest series caliber 3186 series
alexxelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 09:04 PM   #176
Andad

Watch: A few.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 09:24 PM   #177
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally9 View Post
This whole debate runs the risk of turning rather crass. They way some are going on about this is shocking and some people need to take a look at themselves. I find it incredible that there seems to be an almost joyous celebration not simply because the BLRO is available in SS but it is in someway two fingers up to the WG owners who are now all of a sudden up themselves and deserving of a perceived punishment. In addition celebrating or promoting a perceived loss in value of someone’s watch is ignorant and defies what I beleive this hobby and forum should be all about. Despite the Maître d and other similar snidey comments the laughable thing is many won’t be able to get a SS model for love nor money!
Given the choice I’d take WG all day every day, not because I want to be better, not because I have more disposable income and want to show off and not because I want a better table at a restaraunt - I’d do it because quite simply I prefer the WG piece and in all honesty the value current or future is moot
Probably the best comment here...people are funny.
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 09:53 PM   #178
havard.hagen
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD II & 116610 LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally9 View Post
This whole debate runs the risk of turning rather crass. They way some are going on about this is shocking and some people need to take a look at themselves. I find it incredible that there seems to be an almost joyous celebration not simply because the BLRO is available in SS but it is in someway two fingers up to the WG owners who are now all of a sudden up themselves and deserving of a perceived punishment. In addition celebrating or promoting a perceived loss in value of someone’s watch is ignorant and defies what I beleive this hobby and forum should be all about. Despite the Maître d and other similar snidey comments the laughable thing is many won’t be able to get a SS model for love nor money!
Given the choice I’d take WG all day every day, not because I want to be better, not because I have more disposable income and want to show off and not because I want a better table at a restaraunt - I’d do it because quite simply I prefer the WG piece and in all honesty the value current or future is moot
Agree 100 %

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk
havard.hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 10:04 PM   #179
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
There is still enough difference between the wg and ss versions that I doubt the price of the wg version is going down. You will probably never see an oyster braclet version of the ss and wg has a different luster than steel. The wg will also be more exclusive just due to the price and it is the first watch rolex released the Pepsi bezel on....the wg model will be just fine t hiugh I do hope they update the movement.
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 11:13 PM   #180
Arthur Daley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Im totally gobsmacked ! the new Pepsi is 10/10 totally superb and long over due to be honest ! but here come the negative and sorry if its not what you want to here but the facts are this !

Rolex have stuffed all the BLRO owners and took them for fools by selling them a premium priced watch and selling almost the same looking watch for a quarter of the price swop the bracelet from a normal ceramic gmt and hey bingo you have a BLRO in all steel !

total joke they did that with the white gold sky dweller owners also not long ago !
I also think they did BLRO owers a bit of a disservice... and I think they're essentially admitting as much with the new blue dial of the WG Pepsi. It can be, and has been, argued that it's a visually different piece due to the bracelet, but I personally don't think it's "different enough". IMHO the WG Pepsi should never have been made as it was obvious that this would one day end in tears for some of the loyalists who paid $30-40K for a Rolex.
Arthur Daley is offline   Reply With Quote